Mallards on the St. Croix
101 5th Ave S
Bayport, MN 55003Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Mallards on the St. Croix
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.mallardsmn.com/
- Phone: 6513420903x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm.
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm.
Weekend Brunch: Sunday: 10:00am - 2:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Chef Taylor
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live music on the deck every Friday and Saturday night.
A word from Mallards on the St. Croix
Mallards is a family run restaurant offering a Chef crafted menu selection. Some of the starters include fresh seafood cocktail, cut and breaded to order walleye bites, and nicely seasoned wings served with in house prepared sauces. Fresh salads and sandwiches, lobster roll as seen on TV, BBQ ribs and a 22oz bone in Rib-eye are just to name a few of the selections. Enjoy your meal with a glass of wine, ice cold beer or choose a refreshing drink from Mallards specialty cocktail list.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Mallards on the St. Croix - Best Restaurants in Stillwater ›
Mallards on the St. Croix reviews from OpenTable diners
40 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (29)great for outdoor dining (25)great for lunch (12)good for groups (10)neighborhood gem (9)great for brunch (7)special occasion (7)kid-friendly (5)fit for foodies (5)notable wine list (4)late-night find (3)romantic (2)hot spot (1)Show More
- NiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/23/2014Little pricey for the quality but the ambiance is very nice and the music was good.Special Features:
- mehwifoodieDined on 8/23/2014The menu made it seem like a high end place, but the ambiance and the food was just ok. The service was slow, and the atmosphere was just ok. Looking at boxes piled up in the service bar is not what you expect when you are paying close to $100 for dinner. It seems like the restaurant hasn't figured out if it is going to be a casual dining or fancy place. In either case, the food needs to get a lot better to justify the prices.
- Surprised by quality of foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/23/2014We found Mallard's on Opentable while in the area and seacrhing for a lunch spot. Despite the clouds and drizzle, the staff accomodated us sitting on the patio with umbrellas. The food and wine were unbelievable and the service was professional and prompt. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SeafoodappleDined on 8/15/2014The seafood cannelloni tasted more like flour than seafood. My wife's walleye was very good and so was dessert. I would like to try something else for dinner next time.Special Features:
- Lobster Roll!!! OMG!ForeverYoungDined on 8/9/20149 of us went for dinner August 9th and not 1 negative point. Service was great and the food .... well prime rib, walleye, salmon and the Lobster Roll - all wonderful. A little loud outside with the live music, but the music was good. Have been there several times now and will definitely go back for more! So happy we have this option, very convenient having a boat there in the marina.Special Features:
- St Croix River DestinationSnuffyDined on 8/5/2014We arrived by boat on the St Croix River, we'll be back via boat and car! Great patio. Unique menu. Outstanding service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great EveningwinendineDined on 7/24/2014Celebrated our anniversary there and had a delicious dinner with seafood cannelloni and walleye. Amy gave us such excellent service and really made the evening enjoyable.Special Features:
- Great Food,Great View,OK atmosphereMrsScroogeDined on 6/27/20141st time at Mallards. The food was great and the waitstaff was friendly and very helpful. It's a little noisy, but it seems that more restaurants are that way now. We will go again sometime.Special Features:
- suedVIPDined on 6/25/2014Disappointed that the waiter would not accept metro dining card for one free entree. Because we were with another couple did not want to make it an issue. Arrived early and took advantage of happy hour specials. We stayed for dinner & dessert and he said we couldn't use it since we had happy hour discounts. Could have closed the bar tab and started a new one for dinner. Food was very good on all 3 of our visits but this taints our opinion.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/15/2014Views of the St. Croix and marina are outstanding, waitstaff delightful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServiceStillwaterFoodieDined on 6/15/2014We went to Mallard's for Father's Day brunch. The food was good. Server was Great! They could have used more help - took a long time to get drinks and buffet was out of plates a few times. But all in all, we were pleased.Special Features:
- The service was a joke!unluckyfathersdayDined on 6/15/2014It started the first moment we arrived which was on time. We were not seated for 15 mins when we could see several available tables. They commented that they were shorthanded but I never saw management/host lift a finger. There was food all around us on the floor and when we asked that it be cleaned up, we got excuses. Our server was clearly inexperienced as she could not take an order by memory for two people, she never seemed to have a pen on her! She served French bread that was still frozen, sent back, got our food ordered our drinks, finished our food, wait, wait, wait. Where's our drinks? Can't find the chardonnay, but the beer is ready. Should I bring the beer out? We are ready for our check and just receiving our drinks!Special Features:
- DisappointedMauiSarahVIPDined on 6/15/2014We went to Mallards for Father's Day brunch. We were disappointed in basically every aspect of it. Service, the majority of the food, temp of the room. All disappointing.
- The Waitress Saved The DayJakeintheboxDined on 6/7/2014We went to Mallards for their wine tasting Groupon. Their front of house staff were kind of a mess. We had a reservation, they made note that we had arrived, then forgot about us until ten minutes later asking if we had been helped. Clearly not since we had not been seated. Once we were seated, the entire experience turned around. Our waitress was fantastic. She was funny, attentive to our needs, and knowledgeable of the variety of wines we were tasting. The food that came with the wine was mediocre, at best, though the wines were fairly delicious. Doubtful that we would come back here, though I wouldn't discourage others from going. I just hope you get the same waitress that we had.Special Features:
- Mallards takes the cake...careyDined on 6/7/2014...and gives it back to you in the shape of a beautifully folded swan. Why have I not been here before? We went with my SIL, MIL, and mom to do a wine tasting and it was AWESOME. Amy, our server, was phenomenal. For four ladies out without the kids and husbands, we give it 8 thumbs up!Special Features:
- Good and FunGood4eatsVIPDined on 6/6/2014We (group of 5 adults) thoroughly enjoyed our dinner here last Friday night. From our very friendly greeting on arrival to our excellent, very personable waiter, Tyler, the service couldn't be beat. We all enjoyed our food choices--sea bass, ribeye, fajitas and walleye, were all tasy, fairly reasonably priced though not overly gourmet. The appetizer portions were small for sharing, but tasty. The peppers wrapped in bacon were particularly good. Most memorable for the evening is how much fun we all had. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingVIPDined on 5/31/2014We were really looking forward to a nice dinner and relaxing night at Mallard's Our reservations were at 7pm. We were seated right away in main dining room (even though we "requested" outside when the reservation was made) we were told there were 3 other "walk in" tables ahead of us. We ordered drinks and an appetizer right away. Then dinner. Drinks came then appetizer 1 hour later. 2 hours later later we still had no dinner and left without having dinner at 9:15pm! VERY disappointed!!!!!!
- Mallards great location okay foodDMP54Dined on 5/24/2014First time diner. Read they were known for their lobster rolls. They were good, but not outstanding. We made a reservation on Open Table but the hostess acted like she couldn't find it. not sure what was up with that. She initially sat us near two large groups that were yelling back and forth between the tables. We asked to be moved as we couldn't carry on our own conversation. Not sure why we were seated so close to a large party. We'll go back because the patio has a great view of the harbor and the St. Croix RiverSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with a water viewDinnerVIPDined on 5/23/2014Been there twice now. First time, food was awesome, Thomas, our waiter was great. Desserts were really good. Second time, food was so so and the waiter was really slow ( getting glasses of water was even a challenge). But the view is awesome, as we like to eat on the water or take the boat to dinner. Will probably try the place again...it may have been an off night the second time.Special Features:
- Mallards is okay.ILike2EatDined on 5/23/2014Our reservation was for 7:00 PM on a Friday. We had to wait more than 20 minutes before they showed us to our table. The menu is fairly diverse. The food was okay. The service was greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- In the MiddleOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/11/2014Not overly impressed with the food, but our Server was absolutely fantastic and the view is great! Some hits, some misses on the food. Ran out of Lobster, really mushy crab cake. Fun drink menu. Probably will come back for drinks/apps on the patio once the weather gets warmer/sunnier.Special Features:
- Great food but way too loudOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/11/2014We went to Mallards for the first time on Mother's Day. We sat outside the main restaurant on an enclosed patio. The entrees were wonderful! We had the walleye, the sea bass and the duck pasta dish. Very good. The salad before the entree was a disappointment as it was just iceberg, red onion and 1 cucumber slice. Ambience was fine but music was too loud. We will go again. Looks like a great place for happy hour.Special Features:
- great reviews, bad servicemrglassDined on 5/11/2014We Went this restaurant because of its reviews on opentable.com. We went for Mother's Day, and it was not great at all. First they would not sit us outside even though there were other people sitting outside on a pretty nice day. Another key note, the girl who Sat us did not ever bring us a high chair for our baby. Even though we asked two times. We then asked our server to get us one, and it took her about 10 minutes to get us one. Next it took about 10 more minutes to get drinks to the table. And after that through our whole meal we never got refills. This was not the service we expected from such a nice place, and we hope it was only a fluke, but we will not return because of the service. the food on the other hand was great. Very good.Special Features:
- luv2dineluv2dineDined on 5/9/2014Hadn't been here since it was Clyde's. Had an opportunity for a deal on dining here so decided it was worth it. Read the reviews on Open Table and was happy to see that it was getting good reviews. It was definitely worth it! Our wait person was great and laughed at my husband's jokes. Food was good and view of the St. Croix great. Looking forward to going back once the weather warms up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 26 reviews are from the Mallards on the St. Croix reviews archive.
- AwesomeOliveDined on 4/26/2014We have not been there since it was Clydes and they have made a great improvement and we will go back again. Everything was freshly made and tasted great. Thanks for having us!Special Features:
- On the RiverMNmomDined on 4/20/2014Right on the St Croix River which is high right now. Family friendly casual but with very good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Summertime findMarygjuneDined on 4/20/2014We went to Mallards Easter brunch. The drinks selection was varied, food was good, the service great but the view worth the trip!Special Features:
- Easter Brunch BuffetOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/20/2014I took a friend from Singapore here for brunch and we had a delightful time. The brunch had great variety and a build-your-own omelet bar. While the ingredients for the omelet bar were the standard fare, the quality was excellent. I was especially pleased with the high mix of vegetables and salads over more starchy items found in other buffets and the peel and eat shrimp was great. You can't beat Mallard's for the view of the St. Croix river and while the service was slightly slow, it was very professional and pleasant.Special Features:
- PabloeatsVIPDined on 4/17/2014We came in late but it was a great experience. This place was recommended to us by a friend and it was very good. A lot of good items on the menu to try, we will need to go back to try others. We look forward to going back and experiencing the live music on the patio.Special Features:
- Sat night Birthday Dinner, April 12CooperVIPDined on 4/12/2014Environment was fabulous - laid back, quiet, river views. Service was exceptional. Food was good/not great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very quiet the day I was there.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/19/2014Very quiet the day I was there. The service was great. Loved the crab cake sandwich and the key lime pie. The sweet potato soup with Moroccan seasoning was a bit funky tasting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Crab Legs Galore!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/13/2014My girlfriend and I went here specifically for the All-You-Can eat crab legs and Mallard's did not disappoint. Great selection of seafood and meat on the menu as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- alwayshungryalwayshungryDined on 3/7/2014My wife and I really enjoy dining at Mallards. Fantastic location on the beautiful St.Croix River with good food and great service. The hamburgers are great as are the fish tacos. We're looking forward to warmer weather so we can eat out on the patio.Special Features:
- A tweak awayremoteandniceDined on 2/15/2014Went Feb 15th. Several courses from the Valentine special were offered and looked interesting so we ordered those options along with the menu orders of Sea Bass and Cioppino. The Sea Bass was a good portion and was excellent, the Cioppino had the ingredients but was a bit on the bland side, not as rich as I expected. The service is done in large part by restaurant owner family and while a bit inexperienced, they were fun to have serving us. They allowed a corking fee of my wife's favorite wine (we asked in advance) which was very much appreciated. Overall, the location and experience was definitely a four star, it would have been a fiver if the staff had a bit more experience. We will be back for sure.Special Features:
- Valentine's DayKateDined on 2/14/2014We went there for Valentine's Day. They had live music playing and the place was full. The waitress was quick to serve us and was knowledgable with the wines. The food was great and offered a different variety then most nearby areas. The only down fall was that my GPS couldn't find it. We talked to another couple there who also had the same problem.Special Features:
- Good experiencerobbDined on 2/14/2014My wife and I dined at Mallards on a Friday evening. The menu was varied, and we both enjoyed the seafood we ordered. The service was outstanding.Special Features:
- Great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/13/2014Great service, we were there for the all you can eat crab on a Thursday. The food was good, although the potatoe was under cooked. The service was outstanding. The refill of crab was at our table right before we were done with what we were eating. The table was cleaned all the time so you didn't have a pile up on crab shells. The staff was very kind and welcoming. Nice family owned restruarant that was warm and welcoming. During the summer months it would be a very scenic place to visit since it overlooks the St Croix River.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great brunchVickyDined on 1/26/2014We were there for brunch and it was great. The server was knowledgeable and very attentive! We will definitely be going back!Special Features:
- Helpful HintsgabiDined on 1/17/2014Carry fresh fish and fresh meat not frozen. Revisit their menu because it is not good. Way too much salt on the food. Re-visit their desert Key Lime Pie it is the worst I have ever eaton.
- Excellent Find for SeafoodKristieDined on 1/11/2014We loved Mallards on the St. Croix. Finally some seafood with a southern flair. We tried several appetizers and an entrée and everything was delicious. Shrimp and Grits were awesome, great crab cakes, and wonderful jambalaya. We will definitely be returning. Our waitress was very attentive and helpful.Special Features: