Mallards on the St. Croix
101 5th Ave S
Bayport, MN 55003Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Mallards on the St. Croix
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.mallardsmn.com/
- Phone: (651) 342-0903
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm.
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm.
Weekend Brunch: Sunday: 10:00am - 2:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Chef Taylor
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live music on the deck every Friday and Saturday night.
A word from Mallards on the St. Croix
Mallards is a family run restaurant offering a Chef crafted menu selection. Some of the starters include fresh seafood cocktail, cut and breaded to order walleye bites, and nicely seasoned wings served with in house prepared sauces. Fresh salads and sandwiches, lobster roll as seen on TV, BBQ ribs and a 22oz bone in Rib-eye are just to name a few of the selections. Enjoy your meal with a glass of wine, ice cold beer or choose a refreshing drink from Mallards specialty cocktail list.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Mallards on the St. Croix - Best Restaurants in Stillwater ›
Mallards on the St. Croix reviews from OpenTable diners
31 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (18)great for outdoor dining (16)good for groups (11)special occasion (8)neighborhood gem (8)kid-friendly (5)great for lunch (4)great for brunch (3)fit for foodies (2)late-night find (2)notable wine list (2)romantic (2)hot spot (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Worth trying againOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/22/2014Staff was very helpful, willing to make substitutions, and tried to replace a poor prime rib entree with another--which unfortunately wasn't much better. However, my husband's prime rib was good. My walleye was very good. Lots of sweet potato sides--which my husband loved. Since I don't, I'm glad I could replace with a regular baked potato. I also don't like brussels sprouts. I really enjoyed the green bean substitution. Our friend's drink--reportedly weak-- ordered with cherries didn't come with cherries. Our Texas Teas were good. We especially enjoyed the live music. I'll come back again when we can take advantage of the picturesque riverview and outdoor dining.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot for a birthday celebration.PrincessYellowhairDined on 11/15/2014They had a good selection on the menu. Everyone in our party ordered something different, and everyone was happy with their meals. Service was good, and the host took the time to set us up at a particularly nice table in the corner, with views out the huge windows. We went the first time when it was summer, and sat outside, but this time, indoors, the setting was even better in our opinion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the location on the St. Croix riverJulia214Dined on 11/15/2014We had a wonderful time. Service, food and ambience were very nice, and it was nice to be treated as regulars (which we are). We like going there for lunch and for our Sunday morning breakfast, which also serves family style a la carte items, not only buffet. The location on the river is fabulous, a bit crowded in summer with all the boaters, but still nice. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service - interesting menuLuvtodineDined on 11/5/2014Staff at Mallards are very focused on great service. A wine dinner event was going on while we were dining which was a negative for us as the group and presenters were VERY loud and disruptive to the remainder of the dining room. Food was good to ok depending on menu selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Change of paceBeerSnobDined on 10/10/2014TL;DR - Overall good time, but with a couple small complaints. We went out this last Friday and had reservations. They were backed up, so our reservations had us wait at the bar for 15 minutes until a table opened up. The food was good, the tap beer selection is nice. Our waiter was super nice, but towards the end was pokey with our bill. I recommend going, but there isn't an "it" factor that makes me want to come back any time soon (we are from out of town, so we will end up back there eventually).
- Not on their game tonight...DinnerVIPDined on 10/10/2014We eat here often. The last few times, it seems the staff have been off their game. Dishes have been coming out wrong, timed incorrectly, etc... Not sure if they are tired from the season or management changed...Hope it gets better. Food was fine, its been better - nothing to get excited about this evening. And we even tried the special - butternut squash Ravioli.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor startCeciDined on 10/4/2014We made a special 2 week ahead reservation. Our table of 7 was seated OK. Hostess gave us menus and told us a waiter would take our drink orders. After more than 15 minutes, no waiter had appeared. Someone from our group had to look for the Host in order to find waiter. Waitress said that she didn't know she had our table. This was our first visit to the new restaurant in the old Clydes location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anytime diningOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/3/2014This is a great spot to dine with reasonably price entrees of wide variety served with class . The view of the St . Croix River is fantastic. The owner stopped to talk and was gracious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great St. Croix River ViewGlenallaDined on 9/28/2014We met friends at Mallards for Sunday Brunch. It was good, but I had never had "Family Style" Sunday Brunch before. First we went inside to get fruit, sweet breads and some wonderful smoked salmon and bagels. Then they brought out biscuits and gravy on a plate for the three of us who ordered the brunch. Then they brought out a platter of three pancakes, scrambled eggs, hash browns, bacon and ham. Very good, but I wanted an omelette. After inquiring, we found out they had to be ordered from the server. So, we ordered a ham and cheese. It came out nice and fluffy. Very nice. With the brunch you got unlimited Bloody Mary's for $7.99 or unlimited Mimosa's for $4.99 extra. It was a different experience, but very good food in a beautiful setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MediocredineoutweeklyDined on 9/27/2014Had reservations, however, owner could have cared less & seated folks waiting who did not have reservations first. Owner appeared very aloof. Not enough staff, meals & drinks took longer than acceptable. Great location, but overall from owner to quality of food is very mediocre.Special Features:
- Great outdoor dining venueTommyDined on 9/27/2014We had a perfect Saturday night in late September to eat out doors. The patio offered great views of the river and the marina. My friend had the walleye and it was great. I had the lobster roll. (I had ordered it previously there and enjoyed it a lot.) I was disappointed with the size of it. Also some of the lobster chunks had little or no seasoning/sauce on them. Glad there was butter to dip it in. The bread was really a roll or a bun--not sure what it was. I wouldn't order it again . The music was great just too loud--couldn't carry on a conversation with my dinner partner. Overall, I was disappointed from my previous visits to Mallards.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- winendineDined on 9/26/2014Lobster Roll was as good as I heard it to be, however I prefer my melted butter to be hot. I will order again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/23/2014Little pricey for the quality but the ambiance is very nice and the music was good.Special Features:
- mehwifoodieDined on 8/23/2014The menu made it seem like a high end place, but the ambiance and the food was just ok. The service was slow, and the atmosphere was just ok. Looking at boxes piled up in the service bar is not what you expect when you are paying close to $100 for dinner. It seems like the restaurant hasn't figured out if it is going to be a casual dining or fancy place. In either case, the food needs to get a lot better to justify the prices.
- Surprised by quality of foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/23/2014We found Mallard's on Opentable while in the area and seacrhing for a lunch spot. Despite the clouds and drizzle, the staff accomodated us sitting on the patio with umbrellas. The food and wine were unbelievable and the service was professional and prompt. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SeafoodappleDined on 8/15/2014The seafood cannelloni tasted more like flour than seafood. My wife's walleye was very good and so was dessert. I would like to try something else for dinner next time.Special Features:
- Lobster Roll!!! OMG!ForeverYoungDined on 8/9/20149 of us went for dinner August 9th and not 1 negative point. Service was great and the food .... well prime rib, walleye, salmon and the Lobster Roll - all wonderful. A little loud outside with the live music, but the music was good. Have been there several times now and will definitely go back for more! So happy we have this option, very convenient having a boat there in the marina.Special Features:
- St Croix River DestinationSnuffyDined on 8/5/2014We arrived by boat on the St Croix River, we'll be back via boat and car! Great patio. Unique menu. Outstanding service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 44 reviews are from the Mallards on the St. Croix reviews archive.
- Great EveningwinendineDined on 7/24/2014Celebrated our anniversary there and had a delicious dinner with seafood cannelloni and walleye. Amy gave us such excellent service and really made the evening enjoyable.Special Features:
- Great Food,Great View,OK atmosphereMrsScroogeDined on 6/27/20141st time at Mallards. The food was great and the waitstaff was friendly and very helpful. It's a little noisy, but it seems that more restaurants are that way now. We will go again sometime.Special Features:
- suedVIPDined on 6/25/2014Disappointed that the waiter would not accept metro dining card for one free entree. Because we were with another couple did not want to make it an issue. Arrived early and took advantage of happy hour specials. We stayed for dinner & dessert and he said we couldn't use it since we had happy hour discounts. Could have closed the bar tab and started a new one for dinner. Food was very good on all 3 of our visits but this taints our opinion.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/15/2014Views of the St. Croix and marina are outstanding, waitstaff delightful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServiceStillwaterFoodieDined on 6/15/2014We went to Mallard's for Father's Day brunch. The food was good. Server was Great! They could have used more help - took a long time to get drinks and buffet was out of plates a few times. But all in all, we were pleased.Special Features:
- The service was a joke!unluckyfathersdayDined on 6/15/2014It started the first moment we arrived which was on time. We were not seated for 15 mins when we could see several available tables. They commented that they were shorthanded but I never saw management/host lift a finger. There was food all around us on the floor and when we asked that it be cleaned up, we got excuses. Our server was clearly inexperienced as she could not take an order by memory for two people, she never seemed to have a pen on her! She served French bread that was still frozen, sent back, got our food ordered our drinks, finished our food, wait, wait, wait. Where's our drinks? Can't find the chardonnay, but the beer is ready. Should I bring the beer out? We are ready for our check and just receiving our drinks!Special Features:
- DisappointedMauiSarahVIPDined on 6/15/2014We went to Mallards for Father's Day brunch. We were disappointed in basically every aspect of it. Service, the majority of the food, temp of the room. All disappointing.
- The Waitress Saved The DayJakeintheboxDined on 6/7/2014We went to Mallards for their wine tasting Groupon. Their front of house staff were kind of a mess. We had a reservation, they made note that we had arrived, then forgot about us until ten minutes later asking if we had been helped. Clearly not since we had not been seated. Once we were seated, the entire experience turned around. Our waitress was fantastic. She was funny, attentive to our needs, and knowledgeable of the variety of wines we were tasting. The food that came with the wine was mediocre, at best, though the wines were fairly delicious. Doubtful that we would come back here, though I wouldn't discourage others from going. I just hope you get the same waitress that we had.Special Features:
- Mallards takes the cake...careyDined on 6/7/2014...and gives it back to you in the shape of a beautifully folded swan. Why have I not been here before? We went with my SIL, MIL, and mom to do a wine tasting and it was AWESOME. Amy, our server, was phenomenal. For four ladies out without the kids and husbands, we give it 8 thumbs up!Special Features:
- Good and FunGood4eatsVIPDined on 6/6/2014We (group of 5 adults) thoroughly enjoyed our dinner here last Friday night. From our very friendly greeting on arrival to our excellent, very personable waiter, Tyler, the service couldn't be beat. We all enjoyed our food choices--sea bass, ribeye, fajitas and walleye, were all tasy, fairly reasonably priced though not overly gourmet. The appetizer portions were small for sharing, but tasty. The peppers wrapped in bacon were particularly good. Most memorable for the evening is how much fun we all had. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingVIPDined on 5/31/2014We were really looking forward to a nice dinner and relaxing night at Mallard's Our reservations were at 7pm. We were seated right away in main dining room (even though we "requested" outside when the reservation was made) we were told there were 3 other "walk in" tables ahead of us. We ordered drinks and an appetizer right away. Then dinner. Drinks came then appetizer 1 hour later. 2 hours later later we still had no dinner and left without having dinner at 9:15pm! VERY disappointed!!!!!!
- Mallards great location okay foodDMP54Dined on 5/24/2014First time diner. Read they were known for their lobster rolls. They were good, but not outstanding. We made a reservation on Open Table but the hostess acted like she couldn't find it. not sure what was up with that. She initially sat us near two large groups that were yelling back and forth between the tables. We asked to be moved as we couldn't carry on our own conversation. Not sure why we were seated so close to a large party. We'll go back because the patio has a great view of the harbor and the St. Croix RiverSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with a water viewDinnerVIPDined on 5/23/2014Been there twice now. First time, food was awesome, Thomas, our waiter was great. Desserts were really good. Second time, food was so so and the waiter was really slow ( getting glasses of water was even a challenge). But the view is awesome, as we like to eat on the water or take the boat to dinner. Will probably try the place again...it may have been an off night the second time.Special Features:
- Mallards is okay.ILike2EatDined on 5/23/2014Our reservation was for 7:00 PM on a Friday. We had to wait more than 20 minutes before they showed us to our table. The menu is fairly diverse. The food was okay. The service was greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- In the MiddleOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/11/2014Not overly impressed with the food, but our Server was absolutely fantastic and the view is great! Some hits, some misses on the food. Ran out of Lobster, really mushy crab cake. Fun drink menu. Probably will come back for drinks/apps on the patio once the weather gets warmer/sunnier.Special Features:
- Great food but way too loudStillwaterFoodieVIPDined on 5/11/2014We went to Mallards for the first time on Mother's Day. We sat outside the main restaurant on an enclosed patio. The entrees were wonderful! We had the walleye, the sea bass and the duck pasta dish. Very good. The salad before the entree was a disappointment as it was just iceberg, red onion and 1 cucumber slice. Ambience was fine but music was too loud. We will go again. Looks like a great place for happy hour.Special Features:
- great reviews, bad servicemrglassDined on 5/11/2014We Went this restaurant because of its reviews on opentable.com. We went for Mother's Day, and it was not great at all. First they would not sit us outside even though there were other people sitting outside on a pretty nice day. Another key note, the girl who Sat us did not ever bring us a high chair for our baby. Even though we asked two times. We then asked our server to get us one, and it took her about 10 minutes to get us one. Next it took about 10 more minutes to get drinks to the table. And after that through our whole meal we never got refills. This was not the service we expected from such a nice place, and we hope it was only a fluke, but we will not return because of the service. the food on the other hand was great. Very good.Special Features:
- luv2dineluv2dineDined on 5/9/2014Hadn't been here since it was Clyde's. Had an opportunity for a deal on dining here so decided it was worth it. Read the reviews on Open Table and was happy to see that it was getting good reviews. It was definitely worth it! Our wait person was great and laughed at my husband's jokes. Food was good and view of the St. Croix great. Looking forward to going back once the weather warms up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeOliveDined on 4/26/2014We have not been there since it was Clydes and they have made a great improvement and we will go back again. Everything was freshly made and tasted great. Thanks for having us!Special Features:
- On the RiverMNmomDined on 4/20/2014Right on the St Croix River which is high right now. Family friendly casual but with very good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Summertime findMarygjuneDined on 4/20/2014We went to Mallards Easter brunch. The drinks selection was varied, food was good, the service great but the view worth the trip!Special Features:
- Easter Brunch BuffetOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/20/2014I took a friend from Singapore here for brunch and we had a delightful time. The brunch had great variety and a build-your-own omelet bar. While the ingredients for the omelet bar were the standard fare, the quality was excellent. I was especially pleased with the high mix of vegetables and salads over more starchy items found in other buffets and the peel and eat shrimp was great. You can't beat Mallard's for the view of the St. Croix river and while the service was slightly slow, it was very professional and pleasant.Special Features: