Malibu Pier Restaurant and Bar
23000 Pacific Coast Highway
Malibu, CA 90265Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Malibu Pier Restaurant and Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.larkcreek.com/
- Phone: (310) 456-8820
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Malibu Pier Restaurant and Bar
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Malibu Pier Restaurant and Bar - Best Restaurants in Malibu ›
Malibu Pier Restaurant and Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
74 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (58)great for outdoor dining (54)romantic (26)fit for foodies (24)great for lunch (24)great for brunch (21)good for groups (21)neighborhood gem (21)special occasion (18)kid-friendly (8)hot spot (6)late-night find (3)notable wine list (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Incredible experience!staceDined on 11/15/2014I had my last big birthday celebration at this restaurant. I had over 25 people there and the restaurant was so accommodating and made sure everyone had a great experience there. The food was incredible. Each of the dishes was prepared in such an outstanding way by Jason the chef. The staff all cared about us so much, especially the manager Phillip. It was also not too loud in the restaurant which can often be the case at restaurants. The views of the ocean were majestic. I recently went back to the restaurant, two months after my birthday meal there, and they rememebered me right away and again took such great care of me and my husband and our two friends we were dining with. I would highly recomend their crab dish and also their clam chowder soup and their salt caramel pudding- which is made from scratch and was out of this world!! This place is such a great find- it is definitely worth checking out. You won't regret it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gorgeous and scrumptious!posoulieDined on 11/15/2014The view is exquisite, the food well prepared and plentiful, and the servers efficient and warm. In fact, we ended up hugging our server as we left! I loved the affordable and hefty chicken sandwich and the plump French fries.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Malibu outdoor diningColony3000VIPDined on 11/8/2014The patio is the way to go if you want a more quiet experience. There a heaters above the table, wonderful view, excellent & beautifully prepared food & very nice waiters.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gorgeous views and yummy foodFoodMeDined on 11/2/2014Such a pretty restaurant right on the near end of the pier. Delicious food, reasonable prices and a wow view that cannot be beat. This is my new "visitors in town" go to spot. Blows away other beach front dining along coast both inside and out.Special Features:
- What a shameKandinsky10Dined on 10/24/2014The place us lovely. They even have a framed review from Architecture Digest. The food was simply horrible--truly one of the worst meals in my 20+ years of dining out in greater L.A. We're were ther on a Friday night and wondered why the place was so empty. Was it the too-loud music? The waiter who, when asked for advice about particular dishes just kept saying that everything was good? Some specifics: pork chop was not poorly prepared, but seemed to be of questionable quality. Salads were the least offensive. Crab cakes were a super-greasy, virtually crabless affair--worst I've ever had. Best to avoid until they get a new chef and put some money into food prep.
- Great locationCFFoodieDined on 10/19/2014MPR is probably a great place to go for drinks, but as some other reviewers point out, the service is extremely slow, the staff is not knowledgeable about the food, and the food is not up to par. I hope these things can be addressed because MPR could be wonderful if its food and service were as spectacular as its setting.Special Features:
- Glad I tried it!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/18/2014Nervous from prior reviews, my expectations were greatly exceeded Saturday! View/location is a given. Service was uniformly polite and efficient - they were on it! Food - close to excellent, but at least, very good, across the board. Put some whole clams in your chowder and a few colorful veggies in the salad for some pop and you have 5 stars! My gurnard (fish) was extremely tasty with a combo sauce and fennel slaw - best of the night! Snapper veracruz was good-sauce needed a slightly lighter hand (a bit tomato pasty for me), but good nonetheless. Desserts, from the 50's, butterscotch pudding and banana split, had modern touches making them awesome! All in, I'd definitely try it again and hope they continue progressing! Nice evening!Special Features:
- Really bad experienceluvtoeatVIPDined on 10/12/2014This restaurant has a wonderful setting - and thats all The menu is a passable but the execution is awful- The quality was unacceptable and the service was so bad as to ruin what was left of the experienceSpecial Features:
- Brunchelicious!!HeadhunterVIPDined on 10/5/2014Fabulous view of the ocean, surfers , and beech as well as men, women and kids trying their luck fishing from the old Malibu pier. Food choices were more than sufficient. Outstanding black rice falafel (best ever!), eggs Benedict with spinach was flawlessly prepared as was fresh trout (split and deboned); friendly, attentive and unobtrusive service. A real gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/4/2014Went with 6 people for Brunch on a Saturday which was very dissapointing. Waiters were not very knowledgeable. Great view and table but not a great brunch menu. I will give it another try for lunch but never again for brunch. We had gone specifically for the Lobster rolls which they said were not available for brunch.Special Features:
- Very niceGoodeggs123VIPDined on 10/3/2014We enjoyed our dinner, our waiter and our view. The restaurant was not crowded on a Friday night - what a shock. Beautiful weather and sitting outside was fantastic. The food was very good and the waiter made great suggestions.Special Features:
- ExcellentPepperdinemomDined on 10/1/2014Everyone here couldn't be nicer. Great venue. Great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!!Nicks525VIPDined on 9/28/2014Great place to eat and to check out the view. This is a cool place. Very very casual. No tables! Very friendly service :) I had the Uni Deviled Eggs, which was excellent. My kids had the chicken, which he found to be quite tasty.Special Features:
- DinnerDeenaDined on 9/26/2014Loved the location and views, though it was dark by the time we got served so next time we will go earlier. The fish choice was very limited in my view. I would have preferred less meat, more white light fish. I ended up with chicken which is not what I wanted and the chicken was OK, but not the best I have had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DavidCyclingpsychiatristVIPDined on 9/13/2014Service was terrible. The food took forever to arrive. There was no apology for the poor service or acknowledgement that there was a problem. Will not go back. Entree portion was small.Special Features:
- great food good servicedesignlkcVIPDined on 9/13/2014Outstanding setting. Food was very good- had the fresh whole fish and husband had paella- both very good. Service was very good - excellent supervision of wait staff by our waiter, Paul who seemed to be the head waiter. and the chef was on top of the cooking- could see him vigilantly directing the cook staff in the kitchen. Highly recommend for bringing out of town guests. The setting is very impressive. Also the large tables inside looked like a great set up for large groups. Who cares about $10 parking- the view is worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Malibu Pier RestaurantIzzyDined on 9/13/2014While the food and service was good, my only disappointment is that I asked the Salmon (I ordered) to be well done, it came only half done, which I ended up not eatting it (which was about $28 dish). Ies, I could turned it back, but I am not feeling comfortable rejecting food in restaurants.Special Features:
- Not your grandfather's Malibu pierOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/9/2014This is a great location, coupled with people who are handcrafting very good food. We had several of the small plates and shared some large plates. All good, all very good. Terrific service by a very informed waiter.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/5/2014Amazingly scenic spot. Really beautiful. Food was quite good, especially for the food desert that is Malibu. Server was very knowledgable, but rude and intrusive during the meal. I would definitely go back and just cross my fingers for a different server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent but REALLY over pricedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014I have to say the service was GREAT!!! The food was good but it was super expensive, there were no plates offered with sides, any side you wanted were charged separately. For the price you would think they would include some kind of side... The drinks were really good.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/30/2014The atmosphere and food were wonderful. The food was particularly good in a neighborhood not know for innovation over pomp. Service is good from the bottom up; it is new enough that the busmen are more attentive and experienced that the sweet but distracted waitstaff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great outdoor diningdonaldDined on 8/29/2014Stylish casual restaurant on the Malibu Pier with beautiful ocean and coast views. A nice menu with lots of choices and reasonable prices given its location on the ocean. The combination of great views, along with excellent food and service make it a great place to eat outdoors along the Maibu Coast.Special Features:
- Lots of improvements neededExperienceCuratorDined on 8/24/2014This gorgeous spot falls short of the gorgeous view on every count. While the hostess and GM were going to great lengths, the rest of the service was uneven. Staff not incredibly knowledgeable about the menu. The food is terribly mediocre, and given the 5 star prices, I can't imagine this place will last long without some major overhauls. MEnu is overly ambitious for a setting that would do better with more straightforward, American seafood classics. We sent two entrees back, our server messed up or forgot requests multiple times and absolutely nothing I tasted was exceptional. A real disappointment.Special Features:
- DisappointedLAFoodieVIPDined on 8/24/2014We really wanted to love this place. The setting could not be more beautiful ovwrlooking the pacific. Service was awful. We waited 20 minutes before our drink order was taken. Finally I got up and went to the host stand so we could get served. Ordered the heirloom tomato salad as a starter which came out before our cocktails. The salad was an heirloom tomato sliced into 4 large pieces. They described it with mascarpone cheese, but there was barley any on the plate and I'm still not sure how the fig jam came into place. The Lobster Ban Mi was good but not a ban mi sandwich by any means. My girlfriends plate got cleared before she was done eating without asking if she was finished. Besides the view not very impressed.Special Features:
- HorribleWhywhyDined on 8/23/2014We were very excited to visit and thought we would be in for a treat ... Service was horrible, small menu and was out of two items both what we wanted, food was expensive and horrible! Only thing good was the view! Oh and paid $20 for plarking. Go some place else
- Bad serviceapplesDined on 8/23/2014Beautiful view and the food was fine but I wouldn't recommend based on the bad service. Our waitress was really cranky and rude. Forgot a lot of our things which wouldn't have been an issue if she was generally nice and pleasant. Did not make us feel welcome. Couldn't wait to leave.Special Features:
- judeDined on 8/21/2014I love this restaurant. It has a lovely waterside view coupled with good food and really friendly service.Special Features:
- Going Out With The TideFood4ThoughtVIPDined on 8/20/2014For the first few months after opening, the food and service were outstanding - the service remains top-notch; the food not so much. Last night I ordered the Angnolotti having enjoyed it on a past visit; sadly, the pasta was soggy, the filling tasteless and the presentation looked like something my dog might turn his nose up at! For the first time at this restaurant, I sent it back and ordered something else - this time it was a Lobster Bahn Mi. When it arrived, it was a few decent size chunks of lobster, rolled in mayonnaise, sprinkled with a little red cabbage and sandwiched between two cold, puny slices of dry toast - this was as far from a Vietnamese sandwich, as Malibu is from Vietnam! It left a bad taste in my mouth, and my wallet!Special Features:
- what's not to lovedvineDined on 8/16/2014The hostesses terrific, the environment breathtaking, indoor seating or outside utterly beyond romantic. The waiters on top of it but totally not intrusive, intelligent yet unassuming. An extensive menu which includes meats and seafood. All incredibly prepared finest grade food from each and every food group category. The fresh, fresh raw oysters, stream trout, seared salmon were top grade and deliciously prepared. The squash dumplings in an inspired unique sauce were delicious. Only the spinach was somehow bitter and sent back. the dessert was a beyond inspired, fruit mousse. I understand from my friends who are experts that the wine list is ultimate. We all can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food. Nice atmosphere.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/16/2014Only complain, and this seems to be common for Malibu, was that the service was erratic. At least at first. After our party of four had been seated for at least 10 minutes, I had to ask the hostess to send a waiter to our table. Seemed like it took them a few minutes to sort it out, but once they did, service was great. The food was good to very good. And the wine list was surprising.Special Features:
- Horrible ServiceLions21Dined on 8/16/2014We got to the restaurant, took about 15 minutes to be acknowledged by anybody once seated, then another 15 minutes to order our drinks. The Halibut Carpaccio we ordered had spoiled fish and very large cuts of fish, not like any other carpaccio that I have had. The shrimp ceviche and crab cakes were good though. Then our dinner was served, we split an entrée, and it took the waitress 15 minutes to bring us plates and new forks to use. We also had a waitress switch in the middle of our meal. They did take the carpaccio off and comp us a free dessert, but we were still disappointed as we spent $100++ on an average at best meal. The ambiance is beautiful but the service leaves a lot to be desired.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/15/2014It is a great location with food that is good. The servers are a bit odd but overall OK. The best part is the location on the water. It is pricey food but it is good and healthy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!Timberlane1VIPDined on 8/13/2014We had a most delightful lunch with a spectacular view. Chef Jason is a master and he is doing marvelous work at this wonderfully located restaurant. His take on fish tacos, for example, was sublime. The idea is to take simple beach favorites and present them in their most sublime manifestation. And again the setting is sublime as well. What a great experience. Kudos to Jason and his entire team including our wonderful server. Go run now.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great views, ok food, bad chairs!!DiDiDined on 8/11/2014The one complaint I have about this great place is that sitting on plastic chairs for two hours is not comfortable at all, and a little low tech for a restaurant trying to be upscale! I ordered a filet steak, which came grey and overcooked, although tender, it was tasteless. The views over the ocean were gorgeous, but the plastic table and chairs need to be replaced real fast. They make this place immediately a step below four stars even before we sat down! Meagre wine list...could use some improvement. But overall a wonderful experience ....the ocean at your feet and quiet, excepting for you sound of the waves....that's pretty special!,Special Features:
- Horrible foodSadMalibuVIPDined on 8/8/2014A restaurant at the Malibu Pier should be packed on a Friday night. That should have been our first clue. While the restaurant had a great atmosphere the food was boring & not good. The service was also lackluster. It's too bad - cool spot.Special Features:
- Great view & decor, lackluster foodlittlegVIPDined on 8/2/2014I had high expectations for the food. The view of the ocean and pier are unbeatable and the decor inside is so cute. The food was just a disappointment. The crab cakes were good but the 17 dollar burger was so bland and boring. Plus the bun was thick and tasteless. The Lobster Bahn mi was okay but was nothing special. I ended up just eating the lobster out of it. Hopefully it is just growing pains as the restaurant is new. I am going to give it another try.Special Features:
- NOT READY FOR PRIME TIMENacnudVIPDined on 8/2/2014There's potential here. Great location. Love being on the water. The Wild Alaskan Halibut Kanpachi was excellent, BUT the GRASS FED FILET MIGNON was cooked on the wrong heat - tasted liverish and was a DISASTER - the Manager courteously removed it from the bill. The service was friendly but uneven - need more training and a watchful Maitre d'. I'll wait a few months and give it another try. As I said, there's potential. Let's hope they are able to realize it.Special Features:
- Disappointed.OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/2/2014Needs more experienced wait staff. Portions lacking. Otherwise great drinks, great setting.Special Features:
- Management Doesn't CareAdefloVIPDined on 7/29/2014Not sure if this is an ownership or a management issue, but they simply have no hospitality experience and don't know how to run a restaurant. We were regulars at the Malibu Pier Restaurant, living in Malibu, and even dined during soft opening twice. Everything was great - service and food. Food was innovative and interesting for Malibu, ambiance was fabulous and the servers were kind and ensured you had a great experience. All of this changed during a recent lunch meeting where my dish was spoiled. Not only did the waitress not care about replacing the entree in a timely manner, but the manager (possibly owner) thought they were being kind by comping the spoiled dish and telling me that it was "new restaurant pains." Unacceptable.
- disappointingqualityorfamishVIPDined on 7/27/2014Chef, owner, and architect have all failed to put a wonderful landmark to good use. They know neither food, nor wine. Their wine offerings alone betray their bad taste. Pity: So many good places rising in Malibu. This one does not do them justice, nor does it uphold Alice's reputation.Special Features: