961 Amsterdam Ave.
Atlanta, GA 30301Neighborhood:
ThaiPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.malirestaurant.com/
- Phone: (404) 874-1411
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm, Friday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm, Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Thai
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Mannie Kachintagsa 404-874-1411
A word from Mali Restaurant
According to Zagat, "This "excellent" local spot where Va-Highlanders meet is known for its "great patio" and "good, reasonably priced sushi and Thai food"; it's a mystery why it's "rarely crowded", but "those who love it" and want to keep it all to themselves "hope it stays that way."Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Mali Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Virginia Highland ›
Mali Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
58 reviews since July 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (50)great for outdoor dining (33)fit for foodies (30)good for groups (18)romantic (13)special occasion (12)hot spot (10)great for lunch (9)kid-friendly (6)vibrant bar scene (5)notable wine list (3)scenic view (3)great for brunch (2)late-night find (2)Show More
- Love Mali !hfkmdVIPDined on 11/15/2014Love the new dining room at Mali. The food is always great - a mix of both sushi/Japanese and Thai offerings that is sure to please.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Favorite PlaceMorningDined on 11/14/2014Our family has eaten here off and on over several years and has always had a good experience. It's hard to pass up the curries and between us we always have several different ones. I had the Masuman Vegetables this last week and it loved it. The expansion looks so good and we were excited to see how full the restaurant was.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Failing to Follow Through... a RARE issue but trueTheGeneralVIPDined on 11/10/2014The dishes are still flavorful, the presentation is still great but trouble with getting just 4 orders out of the kitchen on time. 2 people ordered Pad Thai and 1 came 15 mins before the other. The server offered nothing but "it should be out soon"; nothing else. This is surprising because the owner always checks on tables and customers but she may have left (I saw her when we came in). We brought old friends and it was a sad evening for them as NEW customers. In addition, the plates are a little larger and the entree seems a little smaller....This is still a fav of mine and has been for years but what is plaguing BUA is also bothersome at Ma~Li and that is the service and execution... Sent from my Huckleberry™ It's a Southern thing.....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall very good experienceatl2014Dined on 11/9/2014Staff was very attentive, coconut soup was great, seats comfortable, although one of the chairs at our table was broken. Shrimps in Pad Thai were overcooked, everything else tasted great. Very nice atmosphere, clean.Special Features:
- Great Service and AmbianceAlbatrocityDined on 11/2/2014Our waiter was very attentive and helpful and provide excellent service. The ambiance was also very well done. It was not too loud and the artwork and lighting matched the mood. The food was very good, but not excellent. While it wasn't the best sushi that I've ever had, it definitely beats out most other sushi places around Atlanta. I'm glad that we chose this restaurant for our goodbye dinner that we had with a mutual friend. It was a great pick due to excellent service and atmosphere and good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always good food.Jeb0084VIPDined on 10/18/2014Service is always slow. I won't stop going bc their Thai food is so good, freshly prepared--but that service sometimes, omg.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The NEW SPACE is REALLY GREAT!TheGeneralVIPDined on 10/4/2014The NEW SPACE is REALLY GREAT! Ma~Li has always been a favorite and although it has "varied" over the years.... I come back for good food, great flavors and the dining programs (iDine + Open Table)... They are "much improved" in the last several years! The "sister" eatery "Bua" in Brookhaven has also been a closer spot though often has many kinks to work.... Both are GREAT places - you should try them and check out the photographs from dinners on Foodspotting to see for yourself! (presentation of the plate is well done!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our favorites!ElizabethDined on 10/2/2014This is our favorite go to spot for weekends & week nights, dine in or take out. The food is always great & the service is on point.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was great...service was slowTB2117Dined on 9/23/2014I enjoy the food a Ma Li and have been several times. The renovations make the layout more inviting. The old one was really wonky. I guess because the restuarant not full to capacity, the servers were a bit off their game. Service was much slower than previously experienced, but I will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary Dinner at MaliLobsterRisottoDined on 9/12/2014We were seated in the newly renovated section and really enjoyed the room. Great exposed brick and lighting, cool contemporary furnishings! Food was great as always, very attentive and friendly staff. Definitely keeping the "Mali" in our rotation of dining establishments!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Thai and Sushi in Atlanta!Brian9672VIPDined on 9/8/2014Get the tom yum soup with shrimp and the red curry with chicken. Amazing!Special Features:
- We had group of six....MariposaDined on 9/6/2014and we all enjoyed our tasty shared appetizers and dinners. Four were new to Mail and said they would return. Four had Thai dinners two had sushi -- all good. We are regulars for lunch and love everything on the menu. Renovation is lovely. And service was excellent thru drinks, multiple courses etc....Both nice indoor and outdoor areas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Thai Foodfoodie2VIPDined on 9/5/2014My husband and I love Thai food and were so excited to find great Thai food at Ma Li so close to home! The Tom Kah soup was delicious, as were the Basil rolls. My husband had sushi which he said was excellent, and I had a green curry dish which was wonderful and quite spicy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always goodsheriVIPDined on 8/23/2014Mali is a favorite. Now it has expanded and is very nice, but the larger crowd seems to present a challenge to the servers.Special Features:
- Always good food!Bfarr530VIPDined on 8/16/2014Mali is consistently a great restaurant. Flavorful dishes that are nicely presented. New bar area is nice but they need to work on the drink service a bit as it took awhile to receive our order.Special Features:
- Nice new bar/dining areaWhateverDined on 8/12/2014I often forget about Mali because it doesn't face N. Highland. Now they have a nice new modern upstairs area. Their food is mediocre but generally a healthier option than the other nearby restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/11/2014This is one of the the best Thai restaurants in Atlanta. And if you want to get Sushi, it's excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeAdyapDined on 8/9/2014My husband and I went for our birthday to this restaurant for the first time. The servers were outstanding and the food delicious. They have a nice patio but it was raining so we sat inside and the place is nice and modern. We will definitely go back in another special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Introduced our friends to this gemJDAtlantaDined on 8/9/2014Love your new addition to this neighborhood gem! We introduced our friends to this long-time fav of our, and they were not disappointed. Glad you added on, as you are always busy!Special Features:
- Great for Vegetarians!2havepeaceVIPDined on 8/9/2014We love this place. It has a neat vibe, the cocktails are delicious and the food is just right. I liked the Siam Tofu - lots of veggies. When they say something is spicy, they mean it! I love that, but if you don't they are happy to tone it down for you. I recomend the Espresso Martini or the Pear Tree Martini - yummy. I enjoy sitting near the front, so I can watch the people traffic go by on Highland. The tables in the very front that are low to the ground are neat - fun for kids, too. The hostess area is a bit of a tight squeeze, but other than that, they layout of the place is great as well. I’d especially recommend this place for a date night (free parking in the back) or a night out with friends.Special Features:
- Always greatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/8/2014Mali's always delivers. Just a great place for good food and comfortable environment. Always a great date location. Service is great as well as the ambiance.Special Features:
- Nice place maybe bad nightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/7/2014Nice place. A lot of outdoor seats. Good food. Too long waiting for food after ordering on my first visit. Thursday night at about a third capacity.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite Atlanta Restaurantfoodie57VIPDined on 8/4/2014We LOVE Mali. It is the only restaurant we have gone to over and over even though there are 400 other restaurants in Atlanta to try. Food is consistantly good. Service is alway friendly. Mango sticky rice is sooooooo good!! New expanded area is really great.Special Features:
- Best Japanese Restaurant intownOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014I have been going to this restaurant for 20 years. Their Thai and Sushi IS TO DIE FOR! The Sushi is awesome.....try Super Crush, Bagel Roll, and California Roll. I have been eating there at lease once a week. This restaurant sets it apart from most Thai restaurants. For example, I always order Penang Curry........SPICY HOT.......This is what puts Mali is a class of itself....at Mali, I get a whole chicken breast---but if you go to most Thai restaurants...you get these “DINKY” pieces.... The staff is AWESOME...they provide incredible service.Special Features:
- bad experience at fave restaurantintowngalsVIPDined on 8/1/2014We have been regulars at Mali for more than a decade. However, after our experience last night, we will not be back for a long time. It took 30 minutes to receive our drinks, then they were wrong. Food was way below par. They were out of two wines on the menu. Servers were flying up and down the stairs behind us to get drinks from the new bar area to the other end of the restaurant. We hope these are growing pains and not the new Mali.
- MaliEthelVIPDined on 7/29/2014Always fantastic service and great food and the new space is great!Special Features:
- First visit to MaliUbdawgDined on 7/25/2014Sushi was spot-on and the heat was just right in the red curry. Enjoyed the patio even on a hot ATL summer night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 281 reviews are from the Mali Restaurant reviews archive.
- Best in Atlanta!Brian9672VIPDined on 7/11/2014Hands down my favorite restaurant in Atlanta. Get the crazy roll, the spider roll, the tom yum soup and the red curry with chicken. Amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mali hit the Spot!!MyWifeLikestoTryNewPlacesDined on 6/28/2014We were looking for a Thai restaurant in the ATL area for a double-date outing. We found Mali - and I'm glad we did. The service was great, the outdoor seating was comfortable, and more importantly the food was AMAZING! I used to love Thai food, but haven't had it too often because the last few places that I have been have been so-so, but Mali has made me a believer again! Everything was perfect! Everyone in the party enjoyed their appetizers and main dishes ---and my Mai Tai wasn't too bad either! Definitely recommend this place and we will be back!Special Features:
- Always ConsistentChengoDined on 6/27/2014I come to Mali Thai rather often, and it never seems to fail me. I usually get the Pad Thai and Siam Tofu, and they are delectable. The service is always friendly and attentive--I will definitely come back.Special Features:
- Great lunch value8ATLITPVIPDined on 6/26/2014Despite a mild renovation being underway, we were very pleased with the food, service and overall value. My guest lives in the neighborhood and was very familiar with Mali as a dinner spot but didn't know of the lunch menu. Again, great selection, food and value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food great, service not greatDeliciousVIPDined on 6/20/2014The food here is always delicious, but service seems to have suffered. Getting food to the table was a little slow, but the problem really arose after we finished eating -- we waited nearly 30 minutes to get a check delivered and credit card processed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodSteviedDined on 6/20/2014Mali is a great restaurant for Thai food. it is the best in Atlanta!Special Features:
- One do our favoritesOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/15/2014Only down side is sushi pieces are quite a bit smaller than other comparable sushi restaurants.Special Features:
- awesome fooddpinkDined on 6/14/2014The food was just awesome. I cant believe even their dessert was good.Special Features:
- Great Place For Special OccasionsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/17/2014This restaurant is great for a special occasion, the service is great and the food is if geat quality . The food plating fits each dish perfectly. I am a spus chef in training at the East Lake Golf Club. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone. The food is delicious and the prices are cheap.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food of artTimetodinegirlDined on 5/11/2014Food was not only tasty, but beautifully plated. My whole family enjoyed the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceTrufrmDined on 5/10/2014The food was delicious and the dining experience is one I would love to repeat. I found another new restaurant gem in Atlanta.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pass on the SushimunchiesVIPDined on 4/29/2014We live within walking distance to Mali and eat there frequently. The last couple of times have not been up to the standard we have come to expect from Mali. I don't know if they have changed their chef or maybe trying something new - I don't know. This time my wife tried the sushi and it was not good. We have eaten sushi all over town and this was some of the worst. Kroger sushi is better - way better. The tempura shrimp roll was awful......did not taste fresh. This is not the first time we've had sushi at Mali and really did not expect much but this time it was just bad. PASS ON THE SUSHI.
- Love this place!melcoDined on 4/17/2014This is our "go to" place! We love it. If you are thinking you should try it you should!