961 Amsterdam Ave.
Atlanta, GA 30301Neighborhood:
ThaiPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.malirestaurant.com/
- Phone: 4048741411
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm, Friday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm, Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Thai
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Mannie Kachintagsa 404-874-1411
A word from Mali Restaurant
According to Zagat, "This "excellent" local spot where Va-Highlanders meet is known for its "great patio" and "good, reasonably priced sushi and Thai food"; it's a mystery why it's "rarely crowded", but "those who love it" and want to keep it all to themselves "hope it stays that way."Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Mali Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Virginia Highland ›
Mali Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
55 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (49)great for outdoor dining (36)fit for foodies (27)good for groups (15)romantic (12)special occasion (12)hot spot (11)great for lunch (11)kid-friendly (9)notable wine list (4)late-night find (4)vibrant bar scene (4)scenic view (3)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Anniversary Dinner at MaliLobsterRisottoDined on 9/12/2014We were seated in the newly renovated section and really enjoyed the room. Great exposed brick and lighting, cool contemporary furnishings! Food was great as always, very attentive and friendly staff. Definitely keeping the "Mali" in our rotation of dining establishments!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Thai and Sushi in Atlanta!Brian9672VIPDined on 9/8/2014Get the tom yum soup with shrimp and the red curry with chicken. Amazing!Special Features:
- We had group of six....MariposaDined on 9/6/2014and we all enjoyed our tasty shared appetizers and dinners. Four were new to Mail and said they would return. Four had Thai dinners two had sushi -- all good. We are regulars for lunch and love everything on the menu. Renovation is lovely. And service was excellent thru drinks, multiple courses etc....Both nice indoor and outdoor areas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Thai Foodfoodie2VIPDined on 9/5/2014My husband and I love Thai food and were so excited to find great Thai food at Ma Li so close to home! The Tom Kah soup was delicious, as were the Basil rolls. My husband had sushi which he said was excellent, and I had a green curry dish which was wonderful and quite spicy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always goodsheriVIPDined on 8/23/2014Mali is a favorite. Now it has expanded and is very nice, but the larger crowd seems to present a challenge to the servers.Special Features:
- Always good food!Bfarr530VIPDined on 8/16/2014Mali is consistently a great restaurant. Flavorful dishes that are nicely presented. New bar area is nice but they need to work on the drink service a bit as it took awhile to receive our order.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/11/2014This is one of the the best Thai restaurants in Atlanta. And if you want to get Sushi, it's excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeAdyapDined on 8/9/2014My husband and I went for our birthday to this restaurant for the first time. The servers were outstanding and the food delicious. They have a nice patio but it was raining so we sat inside and the place is nice and modern. We will definitely go back in another special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Introduced our friends to this gemJDAtlantaDined on 8/9/2014Love your new addition to this neighborhood gem! We introduced our friends to this long-time fav of our, and they were not disappointed. Glad you added on, as you are always busy!Special Features:
- Great for Vegetarians!2havepeaceVIPDined on 8/9/2014We love this place. It has a neat vibe, the cocktails are delicious and the food is just right. I liked the Siam Tofu - lots of veggies. When they say something is spicy, they mean it! I love that, but if you don't they are happy to tone it down for you. I recomend the Espresso Martini or the Pear Tree Martini - yummy. I enjoy sitting near the front, so I can watch the people traffic go by on Highland. The tables in the very front that are low to the ground are neat - fun for kids, too. The hostess area is a bit of a tight squeeze, but other than that, they layout of the place is great as well. I’d especially recommend this place for a date night (free parking in the back) or a night out with friends.Special Features:
- Always greatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/8/2014Mali's always delivers. Just a great place for good food and comfortable environment. Always a great date location. Service is great as well as the ambiance.Special Features:
- Nice place maybe bad nightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/7/2014Nice place. A lot of outdoor seats. Good food. Too long waiting for food after ordering on my first visit. Thursday night at about a third capacity.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite Atlanta Restaurantfoodie57VIPDined on 8/4/2014We LOVE Mali. It is the only restaurant we have gone to over and over even though there are 400 other restaurants in Atlanta to try. Food is consistantly good. Service is alway friendly. Mango sticky rice is sooooooo good!! New expanded area is really great.Special Features:
- Best Japanese Restaurant intownOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014I have been going to this restaurant for 20 years. Their Thai and Sushi IS TO DIE FOR! The Sushi is awesome.....try Super Crush, Bagel Roll, and California Roll. I have been eating there at lease once a week. This restaurant sets it apart from most Thai restaurants. For example, I always order Penang Curry........SPICY HOT.......This is what puts Mali is a class of itself....at Mali, I get a whole chicken breast---but if you go to most Thai restaurants...you get these “DINKY” pieces.... The staff is AWESOME...they provide incredible service.Special Features:
- bad experience at fave restaurantintowngalsVIPDined on 8/1/2014We have been regulars at Mali for more than a decade. However, after our experience last night, we will not be back for a long time. It took 30 minutes to receive our drinks, then they were wrong. Food was way below par. They were out of two wines on the menu. Servers were flying up and down the stairs behind us to get drinks from the new bar area to the other end of the restaurant. We hope these are growing pains and not the new Mali.
- MaliEthelVIPDined on 7/29/2014Always fantastic service and great food and the new space is great!Special Features:
- First visit to MaliUbdawgDined on 7/25/2014Sushi was spot-on and the heat was just right in the red curry. Enjoyed the patio even on a hot ATL summer night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in Atlanta!Brian9672VIPDined on 7/11/2014Hands down my favorite restaurant in Atlanta. Get the crazy roll, the spider roll, the tom yum soup and the red curry with chicken. Amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mali hit the Spot!!MyWifeLikestoTryNewPlacesDined on 6/28/2014We were looking for a Thai restaurant in the ATL area for a double-date outing. We found Mali - and I'm glad we did. The service was great, the outdoor seating was comfortable, and more importantly the food was AMAZING! I used to love Thai food, but haven't had it too often because the last few places that I have been have been so-so, but Mali has made me a believer again! Everything was perfect! Everyone in the party enjoyed their appetizers and main dishes ---and my Mai Tai wasn't too bad either! Definitely recommend this place and we will be back!Special Features:
- Always ConsistentChengoDined on 6/27/2014I come to Mali Thai rather often, and it never seems to fail me. I usually get the Pad Thai and Siam Tofu, and they are delectable. The service is always friendly and attentive--I will definitely come back.Special Features:
- Great lunch value8ATLITPVIPDined on 6/26/2014Despite a mild renovation being underway, we were very pleased with the food, service and overall value. My guest lives in the neighborhood and was very familiar with Mali as a dinner spot but didn't know of the lunch menu. Again, great selection, food and value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food great, service not greatDeliciousVIPDined on 6/20/2014The food here is always delicious, but service seems to have suffered. Getting food to the table was a little slow, but the problem really arose after we finished eating -- we waited nearly 30 minutes to get a check delivered and credit card processed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodSteviedDined on 6/20/2014Mali is a great restaurant for Thai food. it is the best in Atlanta!Special Features:
- One do our favoritesOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/15/2014Only down side is sushi pieces are quite a bit smaller than other comparable sushi restaurants.Special Features:
- awesome fooddpinkDined on 6/14/2014The food was just awesome. I cant believe even their dessert was good.Special Features:
- The following 273 reviews are from the Mali Restaurant reviews archive.
- Great Place For Special OccasionsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/17/2014This restaurant is great for a special occasion, the service is great and the food is if geat quality . The food plating fits each dish perfectly. I am a spus chef in training at the East Lake Golf Club. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone. The food is delicious and the prices are cheap.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food of artTimetodinegirlDined on 5/11/2014Food was not only tasty, but beautifully plated. My whole family enjoyed the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceTrufrmDined on 5/10/2014The food was delicious and the dining experience is one I would love to repeat. I found another new restaurant gem in Atlanta.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pass on the SushimunchiesVIPDined on 4/29/2014We live within walking distance to Mali and eat there frequently. The last couple of times have not been up to the standard we have come to expect from Mali. I don't know if they have changed their chef or maybe trying something new - I don't know. This time my wife tried the sushi and it was not good. We have eaten sushi all over town and this was some of the worst. Kroger sushi is better - way better. The tempura shrimp roll was awful......did not taste fresh. This is not the first time we've had sushi at Mali and really did not expect much but this time it was just bad. PASS ON THE SUSHI.
- Love this place!melcoDined on 4/17/2014This is our "go to" place! We love it. If you are thinking you should try it you should!
- Thai GemSpicyDaveDined on 4/12/2014A beautiful little neighborhood restaurant with authentic Thai food that was immaculately presented. The freshness of the meal positively sang on the plate and enlivened the taste buds while the outdoor patio had a very pleasant and unhurried vibe that complemented the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would returnFirstvisitDined on 4/5/2014Our server was not very attentive and it was extremely loud sitting on the patio! However I, and the 4 guest with me, thought the food was great! Awesome flavors and great taste! Suggestion: try the ying yangs as an appetizer, delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Thai food near VaHimidtowndinerDined on 3/31/2014We love going to Mali for Thai food in Atlanta. There was great weather so everyone sat out on the patio. The place was certainly buzzing on a Monday night. We enjoyed the Thai food as always. The only drawback is the beer selection isn't very big or diverse.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome food.peachtreehiller1Dined on 3/21/2014My wife and I have been coming to Mali for years and it never disappoints. Great food, service and atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a hit!!iWantMoreDined on 3/21/2014This is my 2nd visit and I must say it impressed me again. The food was excellent and the staff very friendly. I'd recommend to anyone that loves Thai to check this place out. You won't be disappointed. I'll be back much sooner this time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fast service; consistent qualityJDAtlantaDined on 3/15/2014Even for a simple meal with my husband and a friend, this place delivers exceptional service and the highest-quality food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was excellent. If youEagle2Dined on 3/1/2014Food was excellent. If you are visiting on Saturday evening, it would behoove you to make reservations. Popular spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second time not a charm...majorminor1978VIPDined on 2/23/2014Having had a great experience two weeks prior we thought we would try Mali once again and boy was it a mistake. The service was awful throughout (including a 20 minute wait at the front end without any service at all... which was a joy with a two year old!!), the food was massively delayed and when it eventually arrived it was, at best, average. Will likely give it one more try and if its this bad again we'll be consigning it to the 'never visit again' list!Special Features:
- Louder than usualReneeVIPDined on 2/22/2014But I guess what do you expect for a Saturday night. Very loud, very crowded. Service was not as expected. We will stick to visits during the week.Special Features:
- Too busyTed8Dined on 2/22/2014I usually like this restaurant, but last friday, it was too much. too many take out orders, too many zifty drivers. The restaurant was noisy, the service was spotty because they were too busy. and the food was ok.