120 Avenue Road
Toronto, ON M5R 2H4Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: CAN$30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.malena120.ca/
- Phone: 4169640606
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm, Sunday - Monday: Private Functions
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Alex Bruveris
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: ‘The Loft’ at Malena is Yorkville’s newest private dining destination, nestled in the century-old building that is home to Malena Restaurant. Chef Alex Bruveris marries Ionian coastal cuisine with robust farmhouse flavours, highlighting seasonal ingredients from only the best local purveyors.
- Private Party Contact: David Minicucci 4169640606
- Special Events: Please join us on Tuesday evenings when we offer 1/2 price wine night. Applies to all wine on our list.
A word from Malena
Maléna Restaurant is located in Yorkville, nestled in a century-old building on Avenue Road. Ionian coastal cuisine meets robust farmhouse flavouring at Maléna, where seasonal ingredients from the best local purveyors shine. The restaurant’s acclaimed wine program (Wine Spectator Awards 2011) offers complementary pairings from both old and new worlds. The Maléna team is helmed by David Minicucci and Sam Kalogiros, the duo that first thrust rustic Italian dining onto centre stage with neighbourhood destination L’Unità. Maléna’s upstairs private dining option, ‘The Loft’, accepts bookings year-round and will meticulously accommodate up to 40 guests.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Malena reviews from OpenTable diners
- The staff were very courteousOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/19/2012The staff were very courteous and helpful. We will go again.Special Features:
- Yummy food! Fresh fish andOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/17/2012Yummy food! Fresh fish and great wine... loved the semifreddo for dessert too.Special Features:
- I'll definitely return here!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/11/2012The Summerlicious menu was one of the best yet. Wonderful food, great presentation, friendly polite service, lovely warm atmosphere. This restaurant is a gem.Special Features:
- I knew it was SummerliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/10/2012I knew it was Summerlicious but was disappointed they did not have their regular menu to choose from as well. The food was good but all in all it was disappointing not to have the choices I expected to have.Special Features:
- Great menu for summerliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/7/2012Great menu for summerlicious 2012. Would revisit again...attentive service.
- I have driven by this locationOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/7/2012I have driven by this location a thousand times and wish I had discovered the restaurant sooner. This is proof that Summerlicious does get people out to new places. We were a group of 4 and the restaurant more than accommodated the Vegan member of our party as they did everyone else. The hand made gnocchi with roasted cauliflower and chick peas alone was worth the visit. I would highly recommend the restaurant and look forward to returning to sample the regular menu.Special Features:
- Gorgeous Room!AmazingServerVIPDined on 6/9/2012This has got to be one of the most pleasant dining rooms in the city! Warm, cozy feel, with dim lighting and great music made us not want to leave! Neat little menu with about four specials including Rodney's oysters, dry aged beef and a to die for fritto misto. Attentive service, food was a touch slow, but we were having such a great time with the staff and our guests that it didnt matter and was well worth the wait. This team knows how to put on a memorable dining experience. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Not ImpressedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/9/2012We both had the fish dish and thought that it was excellent but the portions were very small. Service was good, attentive. I felt zero energy-atmosphere was non existent. Great salad but how many cucumbers can one person eat-add some more leafs. Overpriced for what we received.
- The food was marvellous, ourOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/18/2012The food was marvellous, our waitress couldn't have been nicer or more attentive, and we were very impressed with the sommelier, who was enthusiastic without pushing us - he allowed us to taste several wines and his suggestions were excellent. We had read about the menu before we booked and we were not disappointed. The grilled rapini and an eggplant starter were particular favourites, but everything was delicious. Everyone in our group of four agreed we would come back.Special Features:
- Four of us had dinner - theOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/5/2012Four of us had dinner - the men had short ribs and the ladies had grouper. Everyone enjoyed their food. It was tasty. I also had full view into the side of the kitchen as they left their curtain open and I could see a jar of nutella on a shelf. Turned me right off, so I didn't order dessert! Service was nice, but very slow. Has a 7pm reservation and weren't done til 10.
- Overall, a really enjoyableOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/3/2012Overall, a really enjoyable experience. The food was for the most part exquisite. Each plate had a very harmonious balance of different tastes that worked really well off each other. The wine list was a bit too Italian-centric for my taste, but we were still able to find a bottle that we thoroughly enjoyed. The only negative was the steaks (which were part of that night's specials) which arrived at the table too cold. They were room temperature at best. Considering our table only had six entrees, there was no excuse for this in our mind. When we brought it to the attention of our hostess, none was given either. As for decor and ambiance, it's a very laid-back kind of chic. Great for dinner with significant other or colleagues.Special Features:
- Everything was great!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 4/20/2012Everything was good! Definitely must go and check it out!Special Features:
- This was such a pleasant surprise.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/18/2012This was such a pleasant surprise. It was chosen for its location as none of us had been nor heard anything about it. The staff were welcoming, service excellent with really good food. What is not to like about that! Would return for sure.Special Features:
- The food seemed to have deteriorateOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/14/2012The food seemed to have deteriorated in quality -- judging from our last visit. The ideas were good -- but other than the salad (which was very good), the food seemed very greasy -- as if it had been prepared earlier and then heated up at the last moment before being served. I don't know whether we'll go back -- there are many better places...Special Features:
- Fabulous evening!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 3/30/2012We had a fabulous dinner @ Malena. Great food and a lively fun atmosphere. A couple of celebrities made the evening that much more fun. Service is awesome, friendly & unpretentious. We can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- I wasn't impressed with theOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/17/2012I wasn't impressed with the service nor the food. The fish was ok , but very small and not enough vegetables. We all ordered the dessert (ice cream and schmores which was very average. Service was fair. I wouldn't go back. Too overpriced for what we received.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/17/2012After hearing such good things since it opened we were disappointed. I had a hard time finding anything that was truly inspiring on the menu. I had the frito misto to start - super salty and lacking seafood, followed by the spaghetti with shrimp - I could have made this at home, olive oil and garlic w some fresh herbs. My husband had the gnocchi with mushrooms - which was excellent and I could not have made it at home! and the branzino. The waiter was courteous and very attentive, topping up our champagne on a regular basis, but he was the only person we spoke to at the restaurant. My husband is in the wine business so we usually have some sort of dialogue with the owner/manager which gives us more insight into the character of the place.
- Excellent ExperienceAmazingServerVIPDined on 2/29/2012Second time returning since our first visit over a year ago. The restaurant seems less formal and more fun than I recall, and it shows through the food and service. The menu reads southern Italian with touches of Greek flavours which were very original. Best dishes were the fritto misto, arancini, winter caesar, brick chicken and branzino. Desserts were also a huge hit. Apple cannoli were to die for! Great service from Alanna. Will definitely return. P.S. The owners told us they are awaiting an intimate patio out front this summer season!Special Features:
- I booked Malena to meet out-of-townOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/25/2012I booked Malena to meet out-of-town friends here attending a conference in Yorkville. It was chosen because of the reasonable price point and the proximity to the guests hotel as they were traveling with a 5 month old. Malena was very accommodating when it came to storing the stroller and made us feel quite welcome. I have rated the food only as 'fair' as my entree was extremely salty and we found the portions very small and overpriced for the items and quantity.
- To dark, service is friendly,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/15/2012To dark, service is friendly, food is just okay and overpriced, I would not go back in a near future.
- Excellent food and service,OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/14/2012Excellent food and service, was a bit loud and difficult to converse, however. Superb wine list, and 1/2 price made it the find of the month!Special Features:
- Charming, romantical & delicious.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/8/2012Incredibly friendly waitstaff, delicious food, charming atmosphere. Their Winterlicious menu is the same as their everyday menu, which is appreciated. The chef even sent us a complimentary slice of chocolate cake!Special Features:
- Lovely place, the pasta wasJustinDined on 2/8/2012Lovely place, the pasta was fantastic and their particular panna cotta was the most unique dessert. They have an interesting selection of wines that match well with a variety of dishes, with attentive service that seemed very seamless.Special Features:
- Very Disappointing DinnerRobLVIPDined on 2/3/2012When we arrived the asked if we were having Winterlicious menu. I would think it would be proper to fgive all both menus. I had to ask for a regular menu after they took us upstairs.. I assume that is the banishment for Winterlicious diners. Service was mostly good. Bread was outstanding. SAdly that's where it ended. Menu was not impressive. Rabbit entree was fairly bland. The appetizer of pork was good but the sardine was pretty non-descipt. Thwe warm Chocolate cake was fine -- not sure if the eggplant really enhanced much of anything. $17 martinis seemed way out of the reasonable. All and all I would NOT return.
- Food for Winterlicious wasNickDined on 2/3/2012Food for Winterlicious was bland, and boring and appetizer was unrecognizable. Huge disappointment. First worst experience ever at winterlicious in food quality
- Winterlicious meal was fabulous.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/1/2012Winterlicious meal was fabulous. All my 5 guests truly enjoyed the meal. We will definitely go again. Thanks,Special Features:
- Went for Winterliscious. RabbitOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/28/2012Went for Winterliscious. Rabbit was amazing. Berkshire pork in Arancini was AWOL, but other than that no complaints. Service was great and wine was amazing.Special Features:
- Everything was perfect. WarmOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/27/2012Everything was perfect. Warm greeting at the door, yes. Beautiful space with everything in place, yes. Experienced and friendly staff that make work look like fun, yes and yes. Delicious meal that will have us back to try more, most definitely yes. Thank you Malena for spoiling us.Special Features:
- The staff were friendly andfood4thesensesDined on 1/27/2012The staff were friendly and attentive, the wine was very nice and the food enjoyable. We will definitely dine at Malena again. Also the restaurant was tastefully decorated, inviting and the overall ambience was warm.Special Features:
- Has potential to be outstandingRobertVIPDined on 1/20/2012Beautiful room, intimately lit and inviting with classic rock playing at low volume. Carefully edited menu with nice selections. Wine list interesting mix of local and international, loved the January '50% off the whole wine list' promotion. Food was very good,though the evening was marred by a service glitch (one very lukewarm main course) that was not handled very well by the server and not followed up by a manager. That said, I'll give it another shot - the restaurant is gorgeous and the food is great. I read that the chef just departed - let's see what the impact is on the food.Special Features:
- We hosted friends from RhodeSynnoveVIPDined on 12/17/2011We hosted friends from Rhode Island. Malena was a perfect choice. Both the service and ambience can be described as refined and warm. We ordered scallops with nduja sausage, grilled haloumi, octopus. All delicious starters. The mains were equally scrumptious but the surprise of the meal were the amazing sides. Broccoli, brussel sprouts and Jerusalem artichokes all absolutely delicious. I can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Great food...very noisy....overpricOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/13/2011Great food...very noisy....overpriced wine....used to be a fish restaurant but now mainly good mixtureSpecial Features:
- great evening, good food,notsomuchDined on 12/9/2011great evening, good food, good service, good table, a wonderful selection for entertaining our guests on that evening.Special Features:
- Tuesdays is 50% off wine listOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/29/2011Tuesdays at Malena features 50% off entire wine list. It was an excellent surprise that allowed us to enjoy some really lovely wine and save a bit on the bill. Overall, I really enjoy Malena. The service was good and they slowed our meal to meet the staggered arrival of 2 of our party of 4 arrived, with one arriving much later that the rest as a result of being unexpectedly delayed. She had expected to only be able to have a drink with us since often restaurants don't accommodate such mishaps. However, despite her lateness, the waiter did a fantastic job of smoothly catching her up and having her meal arrive with ours. Loved the sides of vegetables - especially the broccoli.Special Features:
- very nice placeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/26/2011Everything was amazing. Design, food, ambiance, ...Special Features:
- Fun night on AvenueAmazingServerVIPDined on 11/23/2011Love the new menu and warm touches to the room since our last visit. Food was sophisticated yet un-pretentious and a joy to share. My guests were thoroughly impressed with the service, vibe and quality of the experience. Must try dishes are the fritto misto, sausage and scallops and the rabbit pasta. Very interesting wine list. Our new fav spot in Yorkville.Special Features:
- Great food and service butOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/12/2011Great food and service but small space, very loud so not that relaxing (didn't match the food) and had waiters behind in our faces and over our table when he served other tables -funny but a bit awkward.Special Features:
- We enjoyed the food and theOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/11/2011We enjoyed the food and the decor very much. We had heard that it could be noisy but we had an early reservation (6pm) and did not find it noisy even when 2/3 full when we left. Service was attentive and friendly. Valet parking was handy because parking can be tight in the neighborhood or when it rains. We'll go back again now that we've discovered Malena....and we'll try eating at the bar, which we often like too.Special Features:
- Very Enjoyable.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/9/2011Really enjoyed our mid week dinner at this welcoming restaurant. The service was attentive, and friendly. Our meals were excellent. Appetizers were interesting and the wine by the glass selection was super. A little bit on the noisy side, but it was quite busy - obviously others think the food is good too!Special Features:
- Wonderful find. Listen toOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/1/2011Wonderful find. Listen to the staff - they have great pairings and ideas for delight.Special Features: