MALBEC Wine Restaurant
428 Lafayette St.
New York, NY 10003Neighborhood:
ArgentineanPrice: $30 and under
MALBEC Wine Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: www.malbechouse.com, www.tanghouse.net
- Phone: 212 419 4645
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Nightly: 5:30pm - 11:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Argentinean, Wine Bar
- Executive Chef: Rodrigo Sieiro
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Entertainment, Full Bar, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: Tango House, located just below Malbec, features our tango show, "Showcase of Esquina Carlos Gardel". This production has been running in Buenos Aires for the past 12 years and has been viewed by nearly 2 million people. It is a live, 75 minute tango performance featuring dancing couples, musicians and singers. This is the first time the show has been performed in the U.S., and Tango House is the only venue at which to view the performance. The show's producer, Juan Fabbri, is the foremost impresario of the tango and a 25-time winner of the Martin Feirro Award. Please call for show times.
- Cross Street: Astor Place
- Public Transit: (Listed from nearest to furthest):
6 train to Astor Place
N or R train to 8th St/NYU
6 train to Bleeker St
B,D,F,M to Broadway-Lafayette
4,5,6,L,N,Q,R to 14th St/Union Square
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: 410 Lafayette St, 403 Lafayette St, 375 Lafayette St
A word from MALBEC Wine Restaurant
Malbec offers the best selection of wine directly imported from Argentina (over 170 in total), plus a curated list of vintage Argentinean cocktails. The menu offers a sophisticated take on Argentinean cuisine, specializing in well-sourced baby lamb, veal, a family-sized ribeye and seafood appetizers.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
MALBEC Wine Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
20 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
notable wine list (9)romantic (9)special occasion (8)neighborhood gem (7)fit for foodies (6)good for groups (4)late-night find (4)hot spot (2)vibrant bar scene (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- TapasDined on 8/22/2014First, for a Friday night the place was empty except for one other couple but given it was a Friday in August expected. The food was great and we always love Tapas style serving size. The manager was friendly with lively conversation I would definitely recommend this place. By the way there is no longer a Tango show but starting in Sept there will be a Cabrera show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top Notch PlaceRogerBDined on 8/16/2014This place is a find! Great wine list with a waiter that know what he's doing. Food is beautifully done and exciting. It is exciting because it was different to what I've found anywhere else in Manhattan. Real octopus . . . not those little deep-fried "calamari things" . . . this octopus was served a slices of the large tentacles I remember from the real deal I grew up with in Australia. All served in a delicious sauce. I also had the steak, can't remember whether it was skirt or hangar: but again delicious in its spices . . . and the waiter avers it was Argentinian beef not feedlot American stuff. And wait till you taste the "coffee ice cream" . . . you'll want to know what spices are in it. I went to the chef to congratulate him!Special Features:
- Very Nice.NotExpectedDined on 8/1/2014Dining before the Tango Show was a must! Too bad the show closed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't miss this place.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/12/2014Great restaurant. Can't wait to see visit again to see the Tango show.Special Features:
- A Gem on LafayetteWTimponeDined on 5/28/2014I must have walked past this place 100 times without noticing it. It is a warm, inviting spot just across the Public Theater near Astor Place. The staff was friendly without being overbearing. The food was authentically Argentinian, including the flaky empanadas. The small menu was just perfect and the food was prepared with care. Steaks came out as ordered. The Arctic Char & octopus combo was excellent, each fish done right. The seafood risotto was tasty. (3 of us tasted each others main). And of course, the wines were excellent. This place will not break your budget. Prepare to be delighted.Special Features:
- Superb..luv2dinealsoDined on 5/24/2014I only write reviews when deserved! Great. I only write reviews when deserved! Great. I only write reviews when deserved! Great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Malbec or TangoAdolfo4GoodFoodVIPDined on 5/16/2014As a fan of both Malbec and Argentine food (read steaks) we were looking forward to our dinner out in NYC. Upon entering the restaurant we were received well and seated at a table in a dining room with small tables and a decor that creates a comfortable ambiance. The two waiter was friendly but overall the service was spotty. The sommelier when he came showed little interest. We finally got to order the wine and the empanadas (very good especially the meat empanada). Our three main course orders included the 'main' steak (excellent), the duck (very good) and the milanesa (so so). Overall a fairly good experience but regrettably upon departure, one of our umbrellas had disappeared, never to be found again. And then the tango show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/9/2014Took my mom here for her birthday and she LOVED it! We went to the show at Tango House (their downstairs performance venue). The appetizers were all delicious and the show was fantastic (my family is hispanic so the parents was very nostalgic while watching) Afterwards, we had dinner upstairs at the Malbec Room and everyone's meal was divine. We ordered the skirt steak, veal milanesa and seafood risotto. Also had 2 bottles of wine courtesy of our sweet groupon deal. Definitely go!Special Features:
- Nice, somewhat priceyDisappointedVIPDined on 5/8/2014This is a dry pleasant Argentine restaurant, with a nice atmosphere and welcoming decor. The food is very tasty and well presented. It's unfortunate that main staples of the Argentine cuisine are missing, such as "bife de chorizo" and the exquisite "panqueques con dulce de leche" for dessert (our waiter, clearly not Argentine, had no idea what these dishes were). But overall it is a very pleasant restaurant. At night, the view of the Public Theater across the street with its illuminated façade makes sitting by the windows twice as pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 38 reviews are from the MALBEC Wine Restaurant reviews archive.
- Great winesDrBossDined on 3/13/2014Great wines and outstanding good! Excellent for dinner and talks or reunionsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- incorrectly ratedChickpeaDined on 3/12/2014Malbec is a quaint Argentinian winebar, with a small, but very well executed menu the atmosphere is demure and unfussy. The service was like few I've seen in New York (even better than a notable establishment at the Trump Tower at Columbus Circle); staff were knowledgeable, and we never felt rushed. I believe Malbec has been underated on Yelp, where it was categorized as $$, but is closer to a $$$, as the mains range from $32 to $39, are moderate, and in some instances require a $9 side to be added. Malbec is great for a plate of pasta, or a steak and several fabulous glasses of wine. Not my first choice for a full Argentinian dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor ServiceMikeDined on 3/8/2014The food was decent, wine was disappointing for a wine bar, the employees were quite uneducated about the wine as well. The quality of service was absolutely atrocious. To make a very long story short: unattentive, understaffed waiters/waitresses, overstaffed hostesses, absolutely zero communication between hostesses, bartenders, bus boys and waiters/waitresses, very rushed, some employees very nice, some very rude, but none very professional, manager called out staff members on the bar floor, waitress grabbed the check, and looked at the tip that was left while standing at the table, and employees dragged trash out through the bar. The service just made the experience unpleasant, especially for the prices, I would not recommend.
- All dishes ordered were excellent.DlisaVIPDined on 2/22/2014All dishes ordered were excellent.Duck was moist and flavorful but not fatty. Skirt steak done perfectly with a wonderful chimichurri sauce. Empanadas were crisp and tasty. Wine list is extensive and full of interesting Chilean and Argentinian wines. Sommelier was very knowledgeable and helpful with wine selection. Very reasonable priced with a great waits staff and inviting décor. Dinner here and downstairs for the Tango show make for a perfect evening.Special Features:
- Interesting dishesKimLCDined on 2/20/2014After we queried the waiter about some items on the menu, we chose a bunch of appetizers and the skirt steak. Everything was delicious -- will definitely go back to try the rest of food and perhaps even take in the tango show at Tango House.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful night!TitiDined on 2/19/2014Very very nice experience. Elegant decor. Big wine selecction. The meat delicious!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/15/2014Restaurant is way too expensive for the food and wine. Paid $54 for a $10 bottle of wine (I checked the price later...), and the wine was not that good. Food is ok, not exceptional. Seafood risotto was very good, but meat was badly cooked. Side for the meat arrived once we had finished half of it. Not too many side dishes either. There are other restaurants from Argentina that are less fancy, but the food is way better. Unfortunately, will not come back for food. The tango show downstairs is nice. Tip: go for the show, not for the food and the wine.Special Features:
- Limited menu but fine dishes.magsDined on 2/7/2014Limited menu but fine dishes. Good service. Nice wine listI would recommend this to a friend.
- So not worth it!ChiaDined on 1/25/2014We waited an hour and a half for 4 entrees which were extremely overpriced and small in portion. An order of Stella Artois beer came in a tiny glass, certainly not a full glass of beer! Waiter was miserable - nice to our party but clearly not happy with working there.....we will never go back.
- Staff is lovelyNeighborDined on 1/24/2014Without exception, everyone we came in contact with was kind, energetic and gracious. The food is always wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- exceptionally good vine list!MaricaDined on 1/21/2014The quality of food is really good. Try this place separately or prior to the show at the next-door Tango House (as we did). Very elegant place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- argentina in new yorktangoBAafficionadoDined on 1/18/2014what a delight. just before the spectacular tango show downstairs. Especially outstanding was the skirt steak (the cut is entrana) and the cannolicchi with mushroom and bacon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedWjbrowneDined on 1/4/2014I took my wife to the Malbec House for her birthday Jan 4. We thought the ambience was great. The service was fair overall. Our server was pleasant, however it took some time to get our bottle of wine and we were served dessert before receiving our entree.We were both disappointed in the food. The common theme was too much salt. My wife had the stuffed tomato with seafood. It was very fishy and salty. I had pumpkin soup. It was ok. I will say the skirt steak was good, however it was served with a bowl of salted greens. My wife had the artic char which of course was too salty. For dessert we both had the chocolate mousse. It was bad. We both thought the show was excellent.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SteakPearlVIPDined on 1/2/2014We went on a Thursday night prior to a snow storm. There were three other seated groups so it was very quiet. We sat at the front window seat which has a very nice view of The Public Theartre. The steak was great, side dishes a bit small and the wait staff was very nice but appeared to be very new. The wine of course was great.
- perfect finale after the tango showhenriDined on 12/28/2013We had a late dinner after the 8-9 tango show next door, with family. Mostly Argentinian fare, very well done and with a great wine selection - dessert list was bit thin. We had a booth by the window, it was fairly quiet so we could talk. Waiters were very friendly, great time. And by the way the tango show was first class!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!ziggyDined on 12/26/2013This place has awesome food, wine and a great show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!!LillyDined on 12/21/2013This place is pretty, the presentation was great, the wine list was amazing. Went to take a friend to dinner on her birthday and she loves steak, she says it was unbelievable awesome. I had the duck it was also awesome. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Staff was friendly and serviceMAK12Dined on 12/21/2013Staff was friendly and service was great. Menu was varied something for everybody. The cheese pairings were fabulous. The wine suggestions were also excellent. The only downpoint was the noise level which I thought was high making conversation among the group difficult at times. Perhaps seating in the front corner of the restaurant would have been better. Would definitely recommend the place and would return myself.Special Features:
- Special Porteño Dining!AdriDined on 12/20/2013Having been twice in Buenos Aires, I was looking forward to trying out a new Argentinean restaurant. Malbec didn't disappoint!Argentine food is so much more than an empanada, a good steak & mashed potatoes and Malbec proves this. The food is varied and comparable to that offered in upscale Buenos Aires restaurants. Kudos to Malbec!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional dinner!friendsfoodhappyDined on 12/18/2013A simple glass of wine and a delightful bowl of pasta...can't recall the name of the noodle but it was tossed with a smokey bacon, a variety of mushrooms, a rich olive oil and garlic, and sharp Parmesan. Simply delightful. We wanted to lick the bowls! The servers were knowledgable and gracious. Will certainly return.Special Features:
- Enjoyable evening at Malbecgalgay23Dined on 12/14/2013Everything about the restaurant was outstanding. We got there an hour before our reservation and sat at the bar. The two men behind the bar were funny and caring with our wine choice. The skirt steak was wonderful, the empanadas were great and the service was excellent Found the restaurant on-line and decided to try it because my wife is Argentine and thought she might like it. She liked it very much. .Special Features:
- Amazing!!! If your planningPETERDined on 12/14/2013Amazing!!! If your planning on going, make reservations a month before and not just for the restaurant but for the do tango show, it was fenomenal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Argentinian elegance downtownsteviDined on 12/7/2013Attractive, sophisticated room, warm and efficient staff. Just across from the Public, so lots of people need to be out for theater and the ability of restaurant to meet this without any rushing is relaxing. Amazing wine list and expert advice from a very unstuffy sommelier with tastes before choice. Veal, poussin, polenta dishes superb. Nice desert choices. Fabulous coffee. There is an area downstairs with a tango show, but the two don't intrude on each other.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- undiscovered local gemripbro523Dined on 11/30/2013If you dont visit the restaurant upstairs at this new argentian gem for top wine selections, visit the bar underground for a late night glass from the best vineyards. I haven't even mentioned the only aurhentic Tango show in the city. Amazing date idea or with a group of friends! Book early.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and service were excellent.lisaVIPDined on 11/22/2013Food and service were excellent. Skirt steak was done perfectly and the pumpkin soup had more of a root vegetable taste but was light (broth not cream based) and very tasty. Mushroom/burrata salad was rich and satisfying. Interesting and delicious flavors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could have been so much better!EatNYCVIPDined on 11/9/2013The food and atmosphere was really good but the service was terrible. Our waitor couldn't answer any of our questions about the menu or the drinks. Every question was like pulling teeth. It was very frustrating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeHenryDined on 11/2/2013Great food, excellent service, friendly staff. We had the Arctic Char w/ Octopus, Veal tenderloin, Tilapia empanadas, Tomatoes stuffed w/ seafood, dessert was assorted ice creams. Awesome!Special Features:
- terrible serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 10/25/2013I live very close to this new restaurant and was very excited to try it….what a disappointment however. Although the food & ambience are both very good, the service was atrocious. Our waiter was surly, inpatient, and dismissive the entire meal. He acted as though he were so busy and didn't have time to tend to us, even thought the place was empty at 9pm on a Friday night. We had to wave multiple times to get any server's attention for salt & pepper shakers and more water, while the restaurant staff huddled at the end of the bar socializing amongst themselves. It's a real pity because this restaurant certainly had a lot of potential, but that has been completely squandered by the totally unprofessional and pathetic service……what a shame.
- Best Malbec wine...JessDined on 10/18/2013I was very fortunate to have the assistance of a very knowledgable sommelier...I tasted the best Malbec I've ever had. Thanks for the great recommendation and the hospitable service! I can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a PityJWestDined on 10/17/2013The atmosphere is contemporary and comfortable. Food was very good, though inconsistent. I had pumpkin soup with goat cheese; too much cheese and not enough flavor in the soup. For the main course we shared a steak. It was pricey, even for three, but delicious. Service was awful. We had to flag our waiter to order (the place had only four active tables). The appetizers arrived a bit late. The steak didn't arrive. After 40 minutes we flagged the owner to complain. When it was served it was rare though we ordered MR. We were too hungry to send it back. The management wasn't on top of things. We left feeling that it was a pity that the bad service overshadowed a potentially good establishment.Special Features:
- Great food and serviceNonoDined on 10/5/2013Went as part of a group of eight to celebrate birthdays. Good steaks. Fantastic wine list. Our waiter helped select an outstanding Torrontes and smooth Malbec. Would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.