Malbec - Toluca Lake
10151 Riverside Dr
Toluca Lake, CA 91602Neighborhood:
ArgentineanPrice: $30 and under
Malbec - Toluca Lake
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.malbeccuisine.com/
- Phone: (818) 762-4860
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Saturday & Sunday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm
Sunday - Tuesday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm; Wednesday & Thursday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm; Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Argentinean, Steakhouse, South American
- Executive Chef: Pablo Alcorta
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Counter Seating, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wine
A word from Malbec - Toluca Lake
Argentina is world famous for its cuisine. From homemade salads, pastas and fish to an abundant selection of our signature grilled meats, Malbec Argentinean Bistro brings you the best authentic cuisine prepared on our genuine Argentinean grill.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Malbec - Toluca Lake reviews from OpenTable diners
42 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (28)fit for foodies (22)special occasion (18)notable wine list (18)romantic (17)great for outdoor dining (10)great for lunch (9)good for groups (9)hot spot (5)kid-friendly (2)late-night find (2)vibrant bar scene (2)great for brunch (2)Show More
- We love it!PastorVIPDined on 5/5/2014The food is very good and the service is generally first rate! The bacon wrapped filet is ridiculously good!Special Features:
- good findsourdoughDined on 5/2/2014I've been meaning to try Malbec. Had some samples at the Toluca Lake Open House event one Saturday and the food was great. I wasn't disappointed. The service was excellent, staff was very friendly and the food was really good. I hope to be back soon.Special Features:
- At the top of my list...JoeyDined on 5/1/2014From Santa Barbara to Los Angeles, Melbac is one of my top choices for fine dinning. From the subdued atmosphere and excellent wine list, from the wonderful selection of cuisine and from the excellent staff, all the staff, Melbac is a five star restaurant in my book….. I always can count on a fine experience at Melbac.Special Features:
- MiraVIPDined on 4/26/2014Average restaurant, nothing special. And it is way way too dark there, please fix the light ;) I know it makes that romantic atmosphere and everything, but it was even hard to find my husband and I did not drink lolSpecial Features:
- DebbieDined on 4/26/2014There were lots of interesting choices on the menu and there were several specials. I wanted to try almost every dish. The entrees were delicious and the corkage fee is a modest $20.00. The desserts were really special--do not miss the apple crepes and the chocolate mousse!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Malbec pleases againLaurelCanyonGirlVIPDined on 4/22/2014This small but vital restaurant, tucked into a burgeoning restaurant district in Toluca Lake is well worth the visit. Food and service are excellent - ambience is lovely, but can be loud and bustly when the place is full. Some of the appetizer/salad portions are easily shared and everything is fresh and tasty.Special Features:
- Mmmm SteakluluVIPDined on 4/19/2014One of the best steaks I've had in Los Angeles besides Mastro's Steakhouse. So goodSpecial Features:
- JJ32Dined on 4/15/2014Great dinner spot. Like the varied daily specials. Staff always tries to accommodate special requests and are very friendly. Food is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average at BestPaulJAlessiDined on 4/1/2014I have hear good things about Malbec Argentinean Bistro and decided to get it a try. I made reservations on a Tuesday evening at 7:30PM. Walking in the atmosphere is cozy and dark. When the host arrived he was very pleasant. The service was going well until we were serviced our main course. Then gone until it was time for desert. The busboy did keep our filling my glasses with water with I do like. We each had a meat dish and I must say that the the food was average at best in my option. Best part of the meal was the appetizer we had beef and chicken empanadas. We favored the beef. For desert we had the Sorbet which started out good but after the first bite we noticed that is was mostly freezer burned ;-( Not sure I will give it another go.
- Food Great; Service So SoTolucaLakeLocalDined on 3/30/2014Great Menu Selection & our dinner was delicious + nicely presented. Would have liked some local CA wines to choose from, but left selection to our waiter & his choice was a good one. Noise level & loud family at nearby table made our conversation a little difficult at times. Guess I can't blame restaurant for that, but noise bounced off walls & wooden floor. Waiter seldom returned to check on how we were doing - did we need anything, lhad to resort to grabbing busboy on four occasions. Bill was wrong & waiter was almost argumentive when brought to his attention. In spite of this, I will return. PS Appreciated being able to order just a scoop of ice cream w/chocolate syrup vs ordering larger desert or being forced to 'share'.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always TastyHahcDined on 3/29/2014The food here is always reliably good. Wonderful steak, perfectly cooked. The chimichurri sauce is wonderful. I wish they'd bottle it.Special Features:
- It was fun trying some placeOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 3/24/2014It was fun trying some place new! Service was good and food tasty, but it doesn't call me back. Argentinian winesSpecial Features:
- Neighborhood GemdeedyDined on 3/21/2014Consistantly great food and wonderful friendly service.Special Features:
- Worth the traffic battle!Luv2eatoutDined on 3/21/2014We sought out Malbec while on vacation in LA because one of our favorite local chefs here in topeka had reviewed it on his website. We particularly liked the antipasto for two. We ate early to beat the crowd and there were very few other diners....so it was quiet. Service was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food... Loud environment!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 3/20/2014The food here is great! I have been here on many occasions for social lunches and dinners and never noticed the noise. This time was a business lunch and it was challenging to conduct business over the noise.Special Features:
- I love this restaurantcocotroyDined on 3/17/2014Amazing food, terrific service, quaint ambiance. Only problem is noise level which is fairly high.Special Features:
- Date Night IIIOscarDined on 3/15/2014A wonderful meal which was served in a timley fashion. Generous portions and a nice, romantic ambience. We'll be back.Special Features:
- Great WineOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/13/2014The selection of Argentinian Malbecs is outstanding. The tenderloin and flat iron steaks were done to perfection. I've been here 3 times in the last month for business, cant wait to go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful but noisyPandaDined on 3/10/2014Malbec is one of my favorite neighborhood restaurants - for its friendly service, consistently good food, good wine and comfortable ambience - BUT if you want to have a quiet conversation this is not the place - it gets very loud and its difficult to talk, especially at lunch time.Special Features:
- My first experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/7/2014Very nice place! Friendly courteous service! Easy Parking Very good food ! Sweet breads charred! Salad needed some zing ! Lamb chops idea dish superb! Dessert fabulous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- expected better.satisfiedDined on 3/5/2014I went there on a date. My dish was delicious but my date's was only average. Considering then price, we both expected better. The people there were all very friendly but it took a long time for our food to be served. Since it was a mid week dinner we didn't think it would take that long because the place was only 1/3rd full. I can't imagine how long it would take to be served on a busy night. Overall it is a nice place but for the money, there are better choices.Special Features:
- On the smaller side with ambientOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/5/2014On the smaller side with ambient lighting, knowledgeable sommelier, delicious food and service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good ExperienceLynnerDined on 3/3/2014Went twice for lunch. Both are good experiences. Chimichuri steak was great. They also offer tasty sangria in glasses.Special Features:
- My new favorite restaurantGabyDined on 2/22/2014We loved it! The best food I have had in a while. We went to Morton's te same week and payed double and there's no comparison. Malbec has the best steaks and the sides are delicious. We need to go back to try the whole menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Has potential to be great! But...love4foodDined on 2/15/2014Pros: 1) This place has a great "dark" ambient feel when you walk in 2) The esthetics are nice. 3) The wine list has a lot more than just Malbecs. 4) The food menu offers a good variety as well. Food was pretty good. Con's: 1) The acoustics are terrible in this place. If you go on a busy night, it will be very loud. 2) The tables are small and very close to each other. Twice, while eating our dinner we had to stop and move our table to let other people access their table. 3) The service was not bad, but could use a little more interaction and personality. It felt more like they were just taking orders and not really engaging with us. 4) Too many tables. Seems like they are squeezing as much out of the space as possible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always pleasedRGTolucaLakeDined on 2/15/2014My husband and I LOVE Malbec, Toluca Lake. We are always impressed with the quality of the ood and service. The Churrasco with a glass of the Lagarde malbec is heaven!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MixeddeworamaDined on 2/14/2014First off, the food is wonderful. Unfortunately I decided to take my girlfriend on Valentine's and we weren't even seated for our 10PM reservation until 10:45 and weren't given the chance to order food until 11:15. And that was after complaining to the manager. It's too bad too because the menu is beautifully prepared and they have a wonderful wine list mostly of Argentinian wines to compliment the menu.Special Features:
- Not worth the priceOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 2/14/2014If I am paying over $50 per person for a meal I expect great service. We arrived at 8:30pm on a Friday night (Valentine's Day). The empanadas (which were OK, not great) came out quickly. We also ordered entrana and a seafood pasta dish. The pasta was good and the steak was delicious. However, we waited over an hour to receive the food with very little communication from our server. To her credit, once I complained about the long wait and her lack of communication, I did hear her warning other customers about the long delay. The flan with dulce de leche was very good...Oddly, they didn't ask us if we wanted a coffee with our dessert. I think we will be sticking with Lalas in the future.
- Valentines DayAlexr307Dined on 2/14/2014Went here for the Valentine's Day holiday and they couldn't be more ill prepared. We sit down and get greeted, don't see our server for another 10 minutes. We're then told the wait for food is 50 minutes. That's a bit much and a sign of a poorly run kitchen. We finally after about an hour recieve our food. I ordered a medium rare steak, my girlfriend medium. They came out and were warm at best and appeared to have been sitting there for the entire 50 minutes. My girlfriends steak was overcooked. We asked for a refire and they said it would take another 50 minutes, unacceptable and unnecessary trouble for a special night. Absolutely not, we complained and thankfully they were able to bring out our new steaks in a respectable amount of time.Special Features:
- Nice surpriseGardinOfEatinDined on 2/14/2014For a first-time visit to Malbec, we were pleasantly surprised. This being an Argentine-flavored menu, there were lots of meat-centered dishes. But for those who favor seafood and vegetables, there were lots of delicious choices. Great wine selection, great service, nice ambience. Not too dark, not too noisy for a Friday night. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Good but seems a bit priceybroudstDined on 2/14/2014We had a nice dinner at Malbec in Toluca Lake. Soup was served warm, not hot. Skirt steak, always a little tough, was okay and could have been hotter. My wife's salmon was exceptional. The Mil hojas for dessert was very good as well. What really made the experience better was our waitress. She was attentive, helpful and very pleasant. It felt a little crowded when we were there, and we were early. I would have preferred sitting is the dining room area where it seemed like there was more room rather than the bar area up against the wall. Overall, it was good but seemed a bit pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic for lunch with friendsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/23/2014Started with the beet salad & empanadas which was perfect. The grilled sole is delicious as well as the skirt steak with chimichurri sauce. Leave room for dessert, the crepes & bread pudding are superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/11/2014Amber, our server, was excellent! She gave great recommendations and knew the menu well. The food was excellent and the rest of the staff was on point with all the service. Malbec is a great place for a date. Moody, romantic, but it also has a nice energy as well. And once again, the food was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yumflo628VIPDined on 1/11/2014We got a great bottle of Malbec for about $35, which was great. We ordered: -sweetbread special over potatoes, asparagus, and balsalmic- delicious! Loved everything about it. -empanadas- chicken and corn w/bacon- both excellent. Not too cheesy, perfect seasoning, not greasy. -black fin tuna special- loved it, was very fresh -mushroom soup- hated it, it was just a puree, lacked flavor -i got a salad but can't remember which- it was simple, nothing to write about. -bread pudding- i'd pass next time, it was very dense, and boring I want to come back and try more food!Special Features:
- Got really noisy!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/11/2014Overall was really great! My husband and I were having a very nice dinner and were seated in the back. A large group showed up and we could barely hear each other across the table!!! Poor acoustics in the back area. I prefer dining up front but tables are very close to each other!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food.JudyVIPDined on 1/4/2014Really nice dinner. There a nice variety. I had a delist salad and a bit of my husbands pasta. Darker atmosphere and not too loud I'd you want to have a conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Staff, Food and WineBuzzzVIPDined on 1/3/2014Wines outstanding, as is food. Best part of the evening is the wait staff could not have been nicer, more accomdatikng aor more knowledgable about the product. Amber was our waitress and she was spectacular. It is like a famlly type staff where they all work together to accomdate you. Been there before and same was the case.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NYEsocaltoastDined on 12/31/2013I came here with my girlfriend for a New Year's Eve dinner and it was fantastic! The food was excellent. The wine we had was perfect and delicious. I can't wait to go back and try more food and wine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!EmeraldIslanderDined on 12/27/2013Took my date there for the first time and the food was amazing! I highly recommend the beef tenderloin wrapped in bacon with sautéed spinach. Her salmon dish had to be the best tasting salmon I've ever had!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!GusbornerDined on 12/27/2013We love this place. Great food and great service. Owners always around making sure it's all good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.