Malbec - Pasadena
1001 E. Green Street
Pasadena, CA 91106Neighborhood:
ArgentineanPrice: $30 and under
Malbec - Pasadena
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Phone: 6266830550x
- Hours of Operation:
Mon-Tue: 11 AM - 9 PM
Wen-Thur: 11 AM - 10 PM
Fri-Sat: 11 AM - 11 PM
Sun: Brunch 11 AM - 3 PM, Dinner 3 PM - 9 PM
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: Argentinean
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Malbec - Pasadena
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Malbec - Pasadena reviews from OpenTable diners
85 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (53)fit for foodies (34)special occasion (32)romantic (22)notable wine list (20)great for lunch (20)good for groups (19)great for outdoor dining (19)hot spot (10)great for brunch (7)kid-friendly (6)late-night find (4)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- avoid this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/13/2014Terrible, the noise level made it impossible to across table. People screaming at each other at many tables in room that reverberates with every sound. Service was very long wait after ordering. Never go there again
- Excellent FoodFoodieLoveDined on 9/5/2014Went here with coworkers from out of town who are real foodies and we shared 5 or 6 dishes. Everything was a hit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Malbec is excellentDS43Dined on 9/1/2014Warm friendly service without being overbearing. Always excellent food.Special Features:
- Always very good!VIP1000dinesVIPDined on 8/27/2014Malbec is perfect for a business lunch when in Pasadena. Fresh, fresh, fresh and the staff is super professional. My group enjoyed the grilled vegetable chicken salad, fish stew with saffron, grilled chicken with capers and olives, pasta with fresh salmon. For the high quality of the food, I find this restaurant a great find! Wish they had a location in the OC.Special Features:
- great food and servicePrimatesDined on 8/25/2014We had a variety of dishes including steak and a seafood special. Everything was very flavorful with nice size portions. Specially featured Malbec wine was excellent as was service.Special Features:
- Malbec on GreenSDietVIPDined on 8/20/2014It has been a while since I last dined at Malbec and after this last adventure, I wonder why I waited so long. I usually like to hear what the waiter/waitress has to say about what is the exceptional items on the menu. Our waitress probably could improve on her skills of recommending selections. That being said, the food was exceptional and I definately will return.Special Features:
- philawedVIPDined on 8/17/2014Four of us ate brunch here, one who had been to Argentina and three "foodies." We wished to sample a variety of Argentine dishes, so we ordered a sample appetizer, a sample entree, and two other dishes. All were excellent and a good value. Our server was enthusiastic and helpful. We will return.Special Features:
- Best ChimichurriDj522VIPDined on 8/16/2014We haven't been here is quite awhile, but we know it has always been popular. Our recent experience was excellent. The service was very prompt and friendly, and the food was wonderful. We started with the beet salad which we shared. A half serving was plenty, and we both enjoyed it. Then I had the skirt steak with chimichurri and my husband had the sole. Both were great. We will be back soon!Special Features:
- Great food and service!Twins2Dined on 8/11/2014Celebrated our 13 yr wedding anniversary here. The hostess made us feel welcomed and valued. Checked on us often as did the waitress. We had the skirt steak and the ribeye for our entrees. The mixto frito and empanadas for appetizers. Perfect meal and cooked the way we asked. We chose to sit outside as it was a bit too noisy inside and glad we did. Was concerned that since we were 1 of 2 couples seated outside that they would forget us. Not at all. Service was very prompt and attentive. Would definitely go back again. Why did I take away 1 star? Service was "not equal"...meaning we were not offered complimentary bread like others were. Think they forgot....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedLuna35Dined on 8/1/2014Friends took me out for my birthday, ordered their specialty pasta for that night which was too dry and I think they forgot to put the sauce. Requested for the sauce and it took another 15 minutes. Everyone else was almost done with dinner and I was just about to start. Service is slow but then I'm glad I had good company however everyone else noticed service was slow. I ordered steaks to takeout for my kids and they enjoyed it.Special Features:
- Chorizo and JavierBabycakes84VIPDined on 8/1/2014The Chorizo is the best in town, and the chimichurri, while not perfect, is certainly excellent. My companion loved the salmon ----and the tuna tartare starter was delicous....ask for extra crostini. Javiar was an impeccable server. We were in terrific hands.Special Features:
- PassionOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/29/2014Seldom does one come across an eatery where the food and the service contain the two most important, dare I say critical, ingredients for a terrific culinary experience. Those would be; passion and love. Clearly the chefs and the servers have a great passion for the meals they present, and love is always displayed on their dishes. I love this place… they truly care about their cuisine and their guests.Special Features:
- Malbec: Much more than a grapeLeneVIPDined on 7/26/2014Wonderful intense flavors at reasonable prices in a relaxed setting. Friendly service and reasonably priced Argetinian wines. A keeperSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best empanadasOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/25/2014Partner and I shared 3 different empanadas (2 were veg, 1 chicken) -- each alone was worth a trip backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/25/2014I came here for DineLA - they had two fixed menus to chose from for lunch - one was $20 and the other was $25 - the differences was the selection of entrees and dessert. I had the amazing empanadas, delicious skirt steak for entree and heavenly panna cotta. Their portions were generous and the food was excellent and well cooked. The service was equally as wonderful. Our waitress was super friendly and quick. The manager also came around to check on us and made small talk. Overall this is a great place for both lunch and dinner. Amazing food and great staff.Special Features:
- Off night?CelloplayerDined on 7/23/2014I've been to Malbec before and had a terrific time. This time, not so much. Was going to take advantage of the DineLA menu and have a nice meal out with my mom. We were seated literally inches away from another table of two patrons. We heard their conversation clearly. I ordered off the DineLA menu Fix #1: salad with gargonzola and heirloom tomatoes, skirt steak and apple tarte. Salad was fine and generous, the steak was cook well but it was super salty; and the caramel on the apple tarte was burnt - so it tasted a bit bitter. My mom had the chicken napolitano and didn't finish a quarter of it because it was too salty. She ate the veggies and mashed potatoes instead. Like I said, it may have been an off night.Special Features:
- DisappointedtobyVIPDined on 7/21/2014Service was excellent but the food was so so. A few coworkers raved about the place so we went to try for DineLA. My ahi tuna was fishy and my apple tart lacked flavor. My husbands flat iron steak was tough. Our friend's chicken was dry and lacked flavor. The panna cotta was more like a weird jello consistency. The clams and mussel appetizer was good, but that was not part of DineLA. I don't recommend this place.
- A Gem In PasadenaMalv2gooutDined on 7/21/2014Malbec is a gem of a restaurant on Green Street just East of Lake. From the moment you walk in you feel like your home. The manager Kati is a very warm and caring person. She makes sure that everything is to your satisfaction. My server was Javier. He was on top of everything from making sure your water glass was refilled to making sure that you were enjoying your meal. This was a pleasant dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, unbearably loud!Discern2dineDined on 7/18/2014Best empanadas in the LA area. Wines & steaks are great. The flan & crepes with dulce de leche are excellent choices for dessert. Do not bother with the bread pudding which is disappointing at best. While the food standard has been maintained, the restaurant has gotten louder and louder. There was a group of 10 women (not ladies) who were so loud that made the experience not enjoyable to say the least. At least three sets of guests asked to be moved. We could not since we were a group of six. While the service was excellent, the waitress just smiled and acknowledged that it was loud. There was not attempt by the management to request that table to tone down. We will not be going back in a hurry after this unless we are craving empanadas!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chicken SpecialVIP1000dinesVIPDined on 7/2/2014Two in our group enjoyed the grilled chicken lunch special with Jerez sherry vinegar sauce, mashed potatoes and 4 kinds of vegetables. Also my group enjoyed the daily soup and usual favorite, grilled chicken salad with grilled vegetables. Don't forget to have some of the best bread with herb olive oil.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinner at MalbecDaleDined on 7/1/2014Great menu selections. Interesting wines. Try the steamed claims and mussels appetizer. Empanadas too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best!!!!BrooklynVIPDined on 6/29/2014We had been here many times, but not for a couple of years. It is better than ever, enhanced by expansion. General Manager Kati Pusch has a very well trained staff, and she is very hands on, checking all diners frequently and pitching in when needed. Rib steak is one of the best steak dishes in Los Angeles. We will return often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousKittybruineatsVIPDined on 6/28/2014Went to celebrate a birthday. Great vibe and energy. Can be a tad loud at times and hard to hear those in party. We ordered the flat iron steak, skirt steak, grilled sole, and scallop/shrimp pasta. The skirt steak have a wonderful mushroom sauce. Skirt steak was tender.Special Features:
- Nice afternoon mealOpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 6/25/2014Had a salad which was delicious. The house white wine was not that great and the service was a bit lacking. The waitress seemed annoyed to have to serve us.
- June 20 - Birthday DinnerSADominguezDined on 6/20/2014Our first time at Malbec's was fantastic. Our waiter Sebastian was so knowledgeable about the wines. His recommendations were spot on. Next time we're going to try the cheese platter and wine for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great "Lomo"SilviaDined on 6/20/2014Went on a Friday night. Quite busy. Would have given it a 5 star but table for two was a bit small and too close to others. Food was excellent as usual. Husband had the New York and I had the "Lomo". Cooked to perfection!!!! Dessert: panqueques with dulce the leche -- my favorite. Overall a great date night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Going SouthTi5mVIPDined on 6/15/2014I had not been to Malbec for awhile. It is losing its identity as an Argentinian restaurant. Service has declined and the wine list has not progressed. The food is still pretty good. Think of this as an alternative steakhouse and you should be fine.Special Features:
- Great food choicesOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/9/2014It's been a while since we last went to Malbec and it continues to be our number one choice for a special occasion celebration. The food is amazingly good and the service is excellent as well. Not to mention the desserts. We always recommend it to our friends and neighbors in Pasadena. It's a real gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kate2Dined on 6/8/2014Outstanding food and atmosphere! Always a wonderful dinning experience.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/6/2014We enjoy coming here to Malbec, the food is great and the wine list is also very good the staff is great they have the best desertsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dim lightsSteakloverVIPDined on 5/31/2014Its hard to find good steakhouses near by so you dont have to drive to the west side. This place was jam packed when we got there and even with reservations had to wait about 15 minutes which was ok. The inside is romantic but the dim lights make it very difficult to read the menu. Note to management, please change the lighting so you can read the menu. They dont have a full bar so you are stuck with wine. Ordered what they are known for which is the chimichuri steak and sides. It was good but nothing wow about it. Would I go back maybe but if I really want great steak I think I would still make the drive to the west side.
- Never disappointedNuritDined on 5/26/2014Everytime we go to Malbec's, we continue to have the restaurant, the food, the ambiance, meet our expectations. The couple we introduced Malbec's to also enjoyed the food and especially the service. It's a 'will come back again soon' on our list of restaurants.Special Features:
- The following 19 reviews are from the Malbec - Pasadena reviews archive.
- AmazingJohnKDined on 5/17/2014This has been my 4th time to Malbec within the last 3 years. Such an amazing place. The food had so much flavor and the portions are just right. I recommend any of the steak items.Special Features:
- Always Very GoodVIP1000dinesVIPDined on 5/14/2014Malbec is a great choice for a business luncheon.Special Features:
- Delightful!MillyDined on 5/11/2014We were there on Mother's Day and for the number of people there, everything was handled to perfection. Surprised that they could manage so many people with such grace and professionalism. Very pleased. The food was delicious, as usual. Many new tastes.Special Features:
- BruinVIPDined on 5/11/2014We came here for Mother's Day Dinner and the food was excellent! The service and ambiance was good, but not great. I wish there was more Argentinian food.
- Great serverOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/11/2014We loved our server. He really knew his wines and picked the absolute perfect match to our food. Have already gone back with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent neighborhood gemSdtravelerVIPDined on 5/6/2014We walked a ways to get here, and we're not disappointed. The gazpacho was excellent and the filet was a perfect blend of quality meat and cooking perfection. Service was great and this is definitely a place to check out a bit off the beaten path in Pasadena. A better value than Ruth Chris with similar quality. If you like steak and potatoes, this is your place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food. Bad service.rvolantisDined on 5/4/2014Service was really bad. But the food was really good. It was not busy at all and a lot of people are waiting for their food and rolling at their eyes at the staffs on how slow their service. They do not really check up on you for the water etc. It took us 5 minutes to get a waiter. All the waiters look at floors like they are looking for coins. They need to be more attentive and look at the people who are eating at the restaurant. It used to be good not anymore.Special Features:
- Birthday DinnerBorealis65VIPDined on 5/3/2014The service was very good but the food was just OK. Our waitress was lovely but seemed to be rushing us. She reached over my husband's plate while he was eating, without saying "excuse me", to collect an empty plate. It is such bad manners to clear any of the table until everyone is finished with that course. Overall, it was not very special as the only entree of five ordered, that being the fish dish, was declared wonderful. The beef tenderloin was tough and the pasta dish soaked with the sauce.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.