1827 M St. NW
Washington, DC 20036Neighborhood:
MalaysianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.malaysiakopitiam.com/
- Phone: 2028336232
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 4:00pm
Sunday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm
Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 9:30pm
Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indonesian, Malaysian, Asian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout
A word from Malaysia Kopitiam
Malaysia Kopitiam was established in the year 2000. The word 'kopitiam' which is a local word means coffee shop. Leslie and Penny Phoon are the owners of Malaysia Kopitiam. Originally, from Ipoh, Perak, Leslie and Penny have traversed the globe from Ipoh to Melbourne to Washington DC to fulfill their ambitions of operating a successful Malaysian restaurant abroad. Penny is the main chef. Many argue that the surest way to find out if a Malaysian restaurant is authentic is to benchmark its Po Piah, Satay and Roti Canai against Penang hawker stall standards. By Penang standards, Malaysian Kopitiam does fairly well.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Malaysia Kopitiam reviews from OpenTable diners
8 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance2.6Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (3)great for lunch (2)fit for foodies (2)late-night find (1)special occasion (1)Show More
- will be missedLWinDCVIPDined on 8/14/2014Sadly, Malaysia Kopitiam closed its doors Friday after fifteen years. I'm glad we got to go for one last excellent lunch.
- Need a renovationFood1234Dined on 7/5/2014The place can use a renovation. Was a little dissapointed that it is not what I expect in many Malaysian restaurant I visited in the East Coast of USA. Some of the better ones are in New York City, Flushing, NY and Boston, MA
- I tasted betterfang2Dined on 6/30/2014I was expecting a much more flavorful dishes. I tried better in Bethesda, MA. The Hainam rice was soggy.
- The following 21 reviews are from the Malaysia Kopitiam reviews archive.
- Decent asian placeLen23Dined on 3/1/2014Though it was not as authentic as I would like it to be, it was fair enough given many years of Malaysian food eating. Many items we wanted to try was taken off the menu.
- Not worth itCrr7Dined on 2/28/2014Out of a party of three no one liked their food. The meals came out at ver different times and took a long time
- Reasonably-priced exotic cuisineArielleDined on 2/10/2014I organized a group dinner of 16 here this past week and everyone left happy. None of us knew much about Malaysian food before eating here, and we sampled a wide variety of traditional fare ranging from stir fried noodles to spicy seafood dishes. The service was great, though to be honest we were the only ones there on a Monday night. And best of all was the price: most dishes were $10-$12 so we didn't have to break the bank to dine out. I can't wait to return!Special Features:
- unsung herosOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/9/2014Leslie & Penny Phone of Malaysia Kopitiam quietly go about serving the very finest Pan Asian/Malaysia cuisine available in the entire area. Come soon to take advantage of the Chinese New Years specialties, DON'T MISS THE NEW YEARS SALAD....INCREDIBLE!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'm not sure they wanted us thereMrTheFergDined on 2/8/2014We were visiting in D.C. and wanted to try unique restaurants. We decided to try some Malaysian food based on some of the other OpenTable reviews we had seen. When we arrived, the restaurant was not crowded at all. The food was pretty good, but the wait staff acted as if they didn't care if we were there or not. No friendliness, no smiles. What a miss! I equated it to my Mom cooking good food but then having it served by two mean aunts. Completely spoiled what we wanted to be a very special meal. As long as you don't want atmosphere, this place is for you.
- YUMsharonDined on 12/27/2013The food here is wonderful, and the portions allow for family-style dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Malaysian Cooking in DCBuilderBobDined on 12/13/2013Stumbled upon Malaysian Kopitiam while searching for someplace different to meet before a Kennedy Center show. The menu looked great and my wife and I haven't tried Malaysian cooking so we gave it a try. I must say that the food was excellent that evening starting with perfectly cooked and seasoned chicken satay. Main entrees of curry lamb and sambal shrimp were just as tasty. I would imagine that this is a great lunch spot, the décor is a bit dated but the service and food make the difference.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Malaysian food in DCOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/12/2013Living in DC area, we thought we thought we were familiar with all kinds of cuisine, but we didn't discover Malaysian food until a visit to Kuala Lumpur recently. This is kind of sad, since Malaysia Kopitiam has been around for awhile. We had the Nasi Lemak and Mee Goreng and were pleased they tasted very authentic. We are glad that our travels have allowed us to discover this place. We will be coming again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food! I had neverAmeriguyVIPDined on 8/23/2013Excellent food! I had never had Malaysian before and was delighted with the new flavors -- an interesting blend of Thai, Chinese and Indian. Every dish was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Malay cuisineOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/17/2013The food was good, don't go expecting an amazing ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We set out to try something new ...DonnaCVIPDined on 7/19/2013In town for a girlfriends get-away, looking for Thai and needing a reservation for a party of 8, found this on OT. Having never eaten Maylaysian we saw this as an adventure, & reviews from other diners were solid. The food was a cross between Indian and Thai; everyone found something that was acceptable, and a few dishes were deemed very tasty. The service was very good, but the descriptions of the food were hard to understand. When ordering appetizers for the table, the waitress did not like my choices and ended up bringing us what she thought were a better match; her selections were fine! A great time in a friendly place; 8 adults all had alcoholic drinks (one round), shared appetizers had separate entrées for under $200, with the tip!
- Terrific food served by friendlyCather123VIPDined on 4/15/2013Terrific food served by friendly people at this low key neighborhood place. The roti canai was a great version, with the pancakes served separately from the stew for dipping. Generous portions at low prices. If I lived nearby I'd be there once a week for sure.Special Features:
- Delicious!!! Especially theOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/13/2013Delicious!!! Especially the mango sticky rice and the po piat rolls.Special Features:
- Went with a group of 10 forOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/30/2013Went with a group of 10 for a birthday, booked on opentable and didn't research too much into it. The food was great, there were so many choices it was actually difficult to choose. There were 2 things that brought down the rating from there. 1) The food did not come out at the same time. There was about a 10 min difference from the time the first person got their food, to the last. 2) The noise, unfortunately the place is small and very kid friendly. There were two families with toddlers screaming not too far from us. So if you are a family and around the Dupont area and willing to try a different cuisine, this restaurant may be a great chance. But if you are doing a large group, may want to try elsewhere.Special Features:
- Goluv2dineVIPDined on 3/18/2013Great food in a run down building. Our group of four tested the entire menu - chicken, beef, fish and lamb, all was delicious, and different enough from Chinese and Thai to be new to most.Special Features:
- Better than it looksTedAsh711Dined on 3/16/2013This was our first time here and first time reading Malaysian food. The food was awesome. Excellent. Zero complaints. The decor is very dated and could use a good cleaning our remodel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice basic storefront ethnicOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/15/2013nice basic storefront ethnic with good food, reasonably priced, nice friendly folk running and serving.
- Food was very tasty. I likedSakuraDined on 3/12/2013Food was very tasty. I liked everything we ordered.Special Features:
- please do not go hereOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/31/2013i used to like this restaurant (more or less), but it ALWAYS smells strongly of cleaning fluid. on top of that, they were unapologetically vacuuming and moving chairs around shortly after 5p (when they were open for dinner), which ***completely killed*** what i had been hoping would be a quiet, relaxing dining experience. i constructively offered this feedback to them and paid my check to be nice. but although i kept this reservation, they refused to issue OT credit -- still haven't. very very rude manager. please do not go here.
- Wonderful Malaysian foodLKCandACCVIPDined on 1/20/2013We were in town for the inauguration and wanted to get a cuisine that we can't find in our hometown. We can get almost every type of food in Chicago, but we are at a loss when it comes to Malaysian restaurants. I made a reservation for Malaysia Kopitiam because it was near our hotel. Before we headed to the restaurant, we read the poor reviews on Yelp and it almost scared us away. Luckily, we stuck to our guns and went. We were so happy that we did. The food was very, very good. I haven't been to Malaysia, but I have been to Singapore which has very similar food, and this was just as good as anywhere we ate in Singapore. It's not a "see and be seen" crowd, but if you want solid Malaysian food in a great neighborhood, definitely go!Special Features:
- This is fantastic MalaysianMJRVADined on 1/12/2013This is fantastic Malaysian cuisine and has been around for ages. Items to try include the roti canai, rendang curries (chicken or beef) and curry laksa soup. I will definitely be going back!Special Features: