318 East 6th St.
New York, NY 10003Neighborhood:
Lower East Side
IndianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.malaimarke.com/index.html
- Phone: 2127777729
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Mon-Thurs: 12pm-3pm Fri-Sun: 12pm-4pm Dinner: Mon-Thurs: 5pm-11pm Fri & Sat: 4pm-12am Sunday: 4pm-10pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Takeout, Wine
A word from Malai Marke
Ushering the Intriguing blend of India's Diverse Flavours ,let exquisite cuisine of exotic kebabs ,oriental mystical ,curries Inspired from the rustic native life melt yor senses at Malai Marke -the ultimate dollop of ethereal joy! The delectable cuisine at 'Malai Mar Ke' promises the artful experience that celebrates the taste of Indian spirit ,Upholding the desirable truth - Variety is the spice of life, add a whip of creamy Indian delight and undiscovered aromas to your life at 'Malai Mar Ke'.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerIndian
Malai Marke - Best Restaurants in Lower East Side ›
Malai Marke reviews from OpenTable diners
27 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (18)neighborhood gem (11)romantic (5)good for groups (4)kid-friendly (3)special occasion (2)great for lunch (2)great for outdoor dining (1)late-night find (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Keep going backJGCrimDined on 10/15/2014Every time I find myself in the East Village and as much as I would like to try new restaurants, I am drawn back to Malai Marke. As a vegetarian who generally dines with non-vegetarians, Malai Marke's menu offers a huge variety of subtly flavored and perfectly prepared items. Everything I have ever eaten there is delicious, so recommending one dish over another isn't necessary. Recently, my friends and I discovered that Malai Marke is part of a group of Indian Restaurants with sister restaurants on Lexington between 27th and 28th. I have only eaten in one of them [Chote Nawab] and found it to be another outstanding dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Indian Restaurant in NYCshashisatyaDined on 10/3/2014One of the best Indian restaurants in NYC that serves good Indian recipes. Chicken Tikka Masala served here is highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Have Tofu available when on menuNYCdinerVIPDined on 9/27/2014I ate in this restaurant a few times but on the last two occasions when we tried to order tofu, the server told me that it was not available. For a vegetarian diner, this leaves them with few options. They should rectify it or otherwise remove it from the menu. Otherwise, the food was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spicy wonderlandFOODGFDined on 8/29/2014It's a truly rare find to balance the delicate flavors and the severely spicy. It was sublime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as before!!!happydinerVIPDined on 7/14/2014The quality go service and food is not the same as before.... This was my third time there and the food is becoming creamier and heavier... Not real Indian food..
- The following 69 reviews are from the Malai Marke reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/21/2014I came here with a friend for dinner at 8:30 on a Saturday night. There were lots of people dining without it being overly loud. We ordered the Chilly Paneer app, Lal Maas, and Chicken Xacuti, all of which we excellent. I travelled in India for 5 months, so I have very specific memories of the food. Dining here lived up to all of my expectations and gave really great flavors. The decor is fine, but nothing special. Service was excellent. Our waiter was very attentive and had great feedback and information about dishes and recommendations for my friend when she was debating between options. The rest of the staff was on point and very friendly. I would definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for 6th StreetNYCFoodieGalVIPDined on 6/21/2014This place has a nice ambiance, staff is lovely, food is very good!Special Features:
- Noise level....OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/12/2014Food is fantastic!!! I give it a high recommendation, but the noise level is way too high.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delicate and soooo tastygourmetgourmandDined on 5/25/2014We had a very nice experience at Malai Marke. The food was amazing with a selection of both familiar indian dishes and some more unusual ones which makes for a nice change. We had samosas and potato pancakes for starters followed by the "Aunty" prawn curry, lamb dansak and a mixed tandor with the lemon rice. Everything was delicious, delicate and not greasy at all as indian food can sometimes be. Probably one of my favorite indian meals ever! My only complaint would be that the environment is a little too noisy and very dark.
- Great Indian FoodPreebooDined on 5/23/2014I've tried a bunch of Indian restaurants in the city and this one definitely had some amazing food. Everything was great however we ended up having to pack some of the food to take home. We had ordered 2 naans and only had 1 but when we got home, we realized that the other naan had not been picked up. This was quite a bummer because the naan is SO good.Special Features:
- Terrific neighborhood gem!TappanZeeDined on 5/11/2014The chefs at Malai Marke are clearly masters of their craft. The food was amazingly good - I didn't think a Chicken Korma could taste this fantastic! Would love to go back as soon as possible. Interior is a tight space, but it works fine.Special Features:
- Best Indian in Lower ManhattanTmcalliVIPDined on 5/10/2014Not a typical Indian menu and all made fresh. We've now eaten here a few times and the staff are great. They're willing to take time to make suggestions. We had a vegan in the group and the menu is very accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodMelissaKaveskiDined on 5/5/2014Happy to dine here every time I do. Great food, attentive service. I've never had trouble getting a table here which is great. A serious gem of curry row!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Indian Eatry in East VillageElegantlyDined on 4/19/2014Great place for North Indian food. Must try the chicken tikka it's amazing. Go try it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Indian foodfdnyVIPDined on 4/11/2014Best Indian restaurant on 6th Street, and some of the best in the city. My boyfriend is Indian, too, so he knows his stuff. The red fish curry is AMAZING. The okra entree is great. The shrimp curry is fantastic. Run, don't walk!Special Features:
- Competently prepared dishesJochenDined on 3/23/2014Competently prepared dishes from different parts of India. Nothing noteworthy, but all very good. Desserts were the only let down. Friendly service, good ambience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, spicy, but veryOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/22/2014Good food, spicy, but very fresh. Would go again. Rice is mediocre.
- popular spotedgeVIPDined on 3/22/2014For whatever reason this restaurant fills up fast on the curry row of East Village. The portions seemed small at first, but I think one is enough for 2 to share. Go with a group to sample more things from the menu! The tables are placed very closely next to each other, but I think most places in EV are like that anyway. Rent is expensive, but food doesn't have to be and MM seems to meet that criteria. Will return for another meal.Special Features:
- SuperbdoktortimVIPDined on 3/14/2014I love Indian food. Surprised to have such bad luck in the East Village with "curry row" right here. But my disappointment ended with Malai Marke. Recommend highly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for twoOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2014Went for a late dinner, over all it was good. You will enjoy the food, the service is alright.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Good Indian FoodNewYorkDinersVIPDined on 1/15/2014The food is really delicious, fragrantly seasoned with generous herbs and spices. My only issue is that the chicken tikka masala curry is much too sweet. The sauce is almost like candy and it's off-putting.
- Best on Curry RowKikaEatsDined on 1/10/2014The diverse and excellent menu is an interesting blend of regional dishes, not found on many Indian menus in Manhattan. It's a cute, casual spot to meet up with friends, and if you're craving curry in the East Village, the best place to go. The word is out, so definitely book on weekends. My British friends love it, so that's a high compliment too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great fresh Indian foodRsjazzyDined on 1/7/2014I did not know the differency between Southern Indian food, which this restaurant is, and other Indian food, but the food was interesting, a little different, very fresh, lively taste. I would highly recommend this comfortable place, definitely a step up from all the other Indian places on this street.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently goodfoodloverDined on 12/15/2013Coming from London, I'm so happy to find a great curry place! The curries are delicious (try the recommended ones, especially the prawn spicy curry is amazing) and the service is great too. I usually come to indian restaurants (as well as chinese restaurants) with low expectations because the food is so cheap, you don't really have a right to complain about service. But the service here is great and they have recently renovated the restaurant so it is clean and modern.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, modern settingLocalDinerDined on 12/13/2013Really good Indian food, delicious naan, good service, lively but not overly loud, and reasonably priced. We had a terrific pre-theater dinner. I will happily return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Modern IndianLovemyfoodDined on 11/16/2013I went with 4 friends and we enjoyed the meal. As some of my friends are not very experience with Indian cuisine, we went for milder dishes, but they were delicious. Good value for what we had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible Food, lacking serviceAnonymousDined on 11/16/2013The food at Malai Marke is delicious. Well spiced, balanced, fresh tasting. The service leaves something to be desired. Although they had our reservation, they didn't have a table for us, and we ended up having to wait about 25 minutes to be seated. Our food took forever to arrive, and there was a really long wait between appetizers and main courses. I would recommend this place because the food is truly special, but don't go if you want to feel welcome!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Indian Food!AMnycDined on 10/29/2013This was our first time at this restaurant. Service was very attentive and the food was delicious. Would recommend Gulab Jamun for dessert -- it was some of the best we've ever had!I would recommend this to a friend.
- best Indian food without pretensenycConnoisseurDined on 10/11/2013We don't regularly eat Indian, but we do often enough to have frequented most worthy ones, and this new restaurant has terrific food and truly best service you can expect. Chicken tikka masala is the best one I have ever had. It is not the cheapest, but priced ok for a restaurant that serves food of quality that competes with much higher priced places.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always goodbirdwinsVIPDined on 10/4/2013Have gone several times. Food is always very tasty. More elegant than usual 6th Street fare, but not as glitzy or expensive as uptown Indians. Enjoy!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine Indian FoodOonaDined on 9/21/2013The food was really good. Delicious chicken xacuti, the paneer appetizer. I found the 2 chili notation re spice definitely not very hot, could easily try the 3 and 4 next time. Definitely want to go back and try some more dishes. Service was really lovely, waitstaff very attentive and friendly. Recommend the Reisling with dinner....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better than average Little IndiaOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 9/14/2013Looked for a Little India (E. 6th St.) gem in lieu of the cookie cutter no ambience locals. Food was quite good; service was good and the ambience was very pleasant; liked the dim lighting instead of the more brightly lit neighbors.. For the price, higher than average, the basmati rice (all you can eat as in most Indian restaurants) was extra $ which we didn't appreciate. So, for a bit better than average in the neighborhood, expect higher prices.Special Features:
- Great restaurant. Gets a littleOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/7/2013Great restaurant. Gets a little noisy especially on a weekend night. But food is superb and staff is so nice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly placegloverVIPDined on 8/27/2013Based on good reviews we went for an early dinner during the week. Restaurant is small with close seating normal for the neighborhood, but is pretty and modern. Service was gracious and friendly. Were served a nice complementary starter of papadam and 3 sauces. We ordered chicken tika masala, a creamy fish dish from Kerala, rice, chana saag and nann. All were delicious. Would definitely return.Special Features:
- A star on 6th St restaurant rowClassySuzy1VIPDined on 8/17/2013MM is definitely a cut above its neighbors, including tony service and clever decorating touches. Will be back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentbirthdayDined on 8/4/2013Very pleasant and well-mannered waiter. Excellent value, service and food. I am definitely bringing more friends next week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exactly what I was looking for.MikeyBDined on 7/31/2013Simply, my girlfriend and I enjoy Indian food. For our anniversary, we wanted to go somewhere special. The food was amazing, and the staff was very friendly and very helpful. If you enjoy Indian food, you will love the food here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- chicken tikka is outstanding.IZ817Dined on 7/26/2013chicken tikka is outstanding. and they're on seamless so definitely will be ordering for home delivery as well.Special Features:
- GREAT PLACEKirbyDined on 7/23/2013LOVED the place. This was my first time here having Indian food and this was the best experience I couldve imagined. I highly recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chicken Tikka appetizer andAnujVIPDined on 7/19/2013Chicken Tikka appetizer and makhani murgh malai maar ke were really good.Special Features: