Malaga Tapas and Bar
440 W 2nd Street
Austin, TX 78701Neighborhood:
Tapas / Small PlatesPrice: $30 and under
Malaga Tapas and Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.malagaaustin.com/
- Phone: 5122368020
- Hours of Operation:
Monday- Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm;
Friday: 4:00pm - 12:00am;
Saturday: 12:00pm - 12:00am;
Sunday: 12:00pm - 10:00pm;
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Spanish, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Alejandro Duran
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Malaga offers catering on-site or off-site for any occasion! We can provide any level of service from a seated dinner with staff and rentals to a family-style delivery, or anything in between. Our Event Planner, Amy Dial, will work with Chef Alejandro Duran to propose the best menu for your event and budget. If needed, we can also coordinate the rental of tables, chairs, glassware, tents or anything else you may need for your event. Give us a call or email today to start planning your party! firstname.lastname@example.org
- Entertainment: 1st and 3rd Wednesday of each month - Live Flamenco show.
A word from Malaga Tapas and Bar
Welcome to Malaga. A Spanish European haven located in the popular 2nd Street District of downtown Austin. Malaga Tapas & Bar offers an extraordinary shared dining experience including an extensive wine and champagne selection.Continued
So come join us and let us guide you through a true Spanish culinary adventure.
So come join us and let us guide you through a true Spanish culinary adventure.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Malaga Tapas and Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
55 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (27)great for outdoor dining (24)good for groups (23)romantic (18)special occasion (17)notable wine list (14)neighborhood gem (13)hot spot (12)late-night find (12)vibrant bar scene (9)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (3)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Terrible service, stole $BadserviceDined on 9/12/2014The service was abysmal- we waited over half an hour for some of our drinks, they brought out doubles of some of the plates we ordered, even though we only ordered one.We also waited for 30-45 minutes after we finished eating and no one approached us to ask if we wanted more drinks, dessert, or the bill. someone had to get up from our table to find waitstaff to print our bill since we had a group of 6 they added tip on the bill at 20%, which is NOT what I would have tip. When I looked on my credit card the next day, they had added $4 on my friend's card, and $5 on mine, even though I did not add any additional tip. HORRIBLE experience
- Delectable!DateSpotDined on 9/6/2014The owner always speaks to us when we come here and it's fantastic. Makes us feel welcomed. Our waiter was so knowledgeable about the menu and have great recommendations. Our food and drinks were swiftly brought to us and the ambiance was perfect for my date with my husband. I will always return to experience Malaga!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great first visit!AustinVeggieDined on 9/3/2014We just happened to be there on the first Wednesday of the month… Tango Night!! We had tickets for a show at ACL, so couldn't hang out. They have a few vegetarian things that can have the dairy removed. Everyone was super friendly and very welcoming. Will definitely be back!!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/1/2014Love this place. The tapas and empanadas are phenomenal. I've been to this place 3 times and they are very consistent.Special Features:
- Fantastic experienceatxmartiniDined on 8/30/2014Made a last minute reservation for a Saturday night and had no trouble being accommodated. The server was very knowledgeable; she asked several questions to get a good idea of what we were looking for, and based recommendations on what we told her. The food was amazing and the drinks were great too. For me, this is more of a great place for girl's night rather than date night, but that's just because I have the feeling my husband wouldn't think it was enough food.Special Features:
- Great ambience food needs workLovetogrubDined on 8/29/2014The location and service were excellent but the food needs improvement. The steak had no flavor and was over cooked. The meatballs tasted too sweet nothing like Spanish meatballs. I would recommend putting the aioli sauce on the side for the shrimp plate.Special Features:
- Understaffed?rfamilyDined on 8/24/2014We were at Malaga for a light meal prior to a show at Moody/ACL. We were seated immediately despite being 20 minutes early for our reservation. Service started out fantastic but as the crowd thickened our service thinned. The inital serving was succulent, scallops were perfectly done empandas had a nice blend of spices and the generous portion of lamb was tender. The fried goat cheese balls made a late appearance after asking the waitstaff no less than 4 times when they would be served. We added a plate of calamari which was plain and it arrived before the goat cheese. The sangrias served were special, a nice change from margaritas. Upon settling our bill our waiter apologized stating they had 2 no shows for work. I will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not goodRegularDinerDined on 8/23/2014After my wife and I were seated, we waited 20 minutes for the waitstaff. When the guy finally comes, he says, "Oh, let me go get some waters." Another five minutes passed and we left. I'm sure it was just this one waiter not being attentive to his section, but we'll never return to Malaga Tapas and Bar.
- Excellent Austin GemSweetTDined on 8/20/2014Spent a really incredible night at Malaga for Tapas and Flamenco. The ambiance is unbeatable with beautiful exposed brick walls and art galore. There is a joyous, energetic vibe among the crowd. The food was incredible and the wine list was one of the best I've seen in Austin. This is a wonderful place for a special meal or late snack.Special Features:
- Flaminco nightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/20/2014What fabulous tapas. The lamb was cooked to perfection. The entertainment was good. Three ladies danced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was goodZeke1963Dined on 8/16/2014We were looking for a good place late on Saturday without a reservation and we were able to get into Malaga. The food was really good. Additionally, all of the menu options looked interesting, so would happily go back.Special Features:
- Great tapasearlybirdDined on 8/16/2014Right downstairs from the Violet Crown so good place to go while you have that free parking. Has good tapas, good drinks, and pleasant ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MalindaDined on 8/14/2014Don't miss the Sangria at happy hour. Food was outstanding. Great tapas menu.Special Features:
- Good food. Good atmosphere.ZoidbergDined on 7/29/2014I'm not a huge tapas fan in general; this was only my second time at a tapas restaurant. I went with a group of 6, and I think that's the way to go. I'm sure it works beautifully as just a couple, but getting 12 different plates as a group was pretty sweet. There was also a painting group thing going on. I thought it was going to be annoying, but it kind of adds to the atmosphere really.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TexTap now in AustinFrankDined on 7/26/2014Malaga continues to serve excellent and well priced wine. The tapas are another matter - I guess you might call them TexTap (like TexMex) since they bear no relation to tapas served in Spain. Also it would be helpful if they served entrees.Special Features:
- Late Evening DinnerIMSherlockDined on 7/21/2014A friend and I had reservations set for 8:15 p.m. but didn't make it to the restaurant until 8:30 p.m. We parked with valet for $7 and were told that we would need to pick up the car at 11:00 p.m. The ambience of the bar restaurant is very nice and we chose to sit inside because of the heat and humidity outdoors. One table seemed to celebrating a birthday or just having a party so it was quite noisy that evening. The entire Wine selection is in Spanish with English descriptions, but our waiter was helpful in making suggestions. We had the Tortilla Málaga, Empanadas Salamanca, and the Coca de Pato, all of which were excellent. Highly recommend this restaurant and will definitely come back here again!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/20/2014The music was a little too loud, but still one of my favorite placesI would recommend this to a friend.
- Great AtmospherePEFXDined on 7/4/2014The weather was so nice for 4th of July sitting outside was fantasticSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spanish flavorAgusDined on 7/3/2014A good place with a good cuisine, the tapas & pintxos selection is good, and the wine list, superb. Do not miss the manzanilla!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great pre-show diningAustinsteDined on 6/26/2014Went before a recent show at Moody Theater. Food was great, service was excellent. I will return againSpecial Features:
- I love Spanish guitar musicMcGirlDined on 6/25/2014The flamenco, music, tapas and wine; great combination! Fun time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Drinks great! Tapas okay.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/20/2014To start: Friday night - it was a nice warm evening and as expected there was a long wait for outdoor seating. Inside didn't have a long wait at all. Their Sangria options were fantastic and we tried a couple. The food on the other hand was just okay. We ordered 4 small plates for 2 people and it took quite a while to come out. The bacon wrapped scallops and pork were excellent but very small portions. So I would recommend to come thirsty not hungry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great timeJBelleDined on 6/13/2014Went for a celebratory dinner with SO and 2 friends and had a great time. Wonderful wine list and delicious food. Ambiance very conducive to lively conversation. We'll absolutely be going back!Special Features:
- Fun and RelaxingExploringDinerDined on 6/4/2014The menu was varied and the tapas were tasty. The service was really good. Tables inside by window are great. Get to people watch, but stay cool. There were several large groups here, and they seemed to be well-treated.Special Features:
- ExcellentCdogg98Dined on 5/29/2014This was the 2nd time in 2 weeks, the food was great and service was great on both times. It was nice that the manager or owner asked how are dining experience was.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BebacksoonbebacksoonDined on 5/24/2014Love the tapas concept since my husband usually order several appetizers anyway. Outstanding variety of flavors and we were not disappointed. Would highly recommend the Gambas al Ajillo (sautéed shrimp), the Empanadas, and the Coca de Pato (duck flatbread). Also had the Viuras con Pesto (scallops wrapped in basil and pancetta) but had to unwrap the pancetta from the scallop because it was way too salty and took away from the other flavors. Oh, the Sangrias were tasty too. Can't wait to go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Me encanta!judywDined on 5/21/2014Love everything about this restaurant. Great tapas, great atmosphere, great wine and sangria.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 115 reviews are from the Malaga Tapas and Bar reviews archive.
- Great light dinnerJenaDined on 5/16/2014We took a group of about 6 here. We all weren't too hungry so tapas were great. The food was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!LysadDined on 5/10/2014Do not leave without ordering the fried goat cheese balls. The lavender honey is to die for and this is easily the best dish on the menu. The service was outstanding and every dish we had was delicious.Special Features:
- Yes ! on MalagasOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/7/2014Great service, wine and amazing food options. The Goat Cheese is always on my list !Special Features:
- Loudjoeybravo13Dined on 5/2/2014Overall it was a great experience. The one drawback was that it was pretty loud. The restaurant wasn't packed but there were a few large parties. There were times when it was hard to hear my date. I have never had tapas so it was nice to have a server that was knowledgeable about the product The reservation process was easy. I was even able to change the reservation through the app/emailSpecial Features:
- Great food but still slowjackDined on 5/2/2014I've been here several times. It's a great place to hit before a show, and our friends always enjoy it. For some reason, they're always a bit slow on the uptake--10 minutes to take our drink order and another 10 to get them out for a 4 top is too long. Otherwise, very reliable. Might consider a few specials to freshen up the menu, but don't lose the shrimp or lamb recipes. Those two are amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Experience but bad hostessgrobles82Dined on 4/26/2014My Husband and I love the ambience, food, wine, and overall service. However, when we first arrived we were not greeted in friendly way. Rather, the hostess stared at us as if we were bothering her for even approaching the hostess stand. It wasn't until I stated we had a reservation at 8:30 that she smiled and realized we planned a head. I thought it was a bit odd that she even did that. But the rest of the experience was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not good if you're on a budgetOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/26/2014While the food was very good, we all left a bit hungry and still spent $120 for 3 people. Granted we had one pitcher of sangria, but if I'm spending $40 a head, I would expect to leave and not want to grab a snack on the way home. Definitely not for the budget conscious.
- Traditional tapas with nice winenolakaiDined on 4/24/2014The menu is s bit limited (would have loved a green salad option), but the tapas were lovely. We had olives, calamari, the beet salad, scallops, and papas bravas. The tastes were traditional, the olives outstanding. We sat outside and they had a guitar duo playing out there who were wonderful. Really enjoyed our evening.Special Features:
- Small plate gem2lippsDined on 4/22/2014If you like to "snack" your way through dinner, this is the place to be. All small plates, it's a great place to try a variety of dishes. The lamb was my favorite but all of the dishes we tried were tasty. Just keep trying new plates until you're full! Wait staff was happy to offer suggestions. Nice outside seating area and inside area was very well appointed.Special Features:
- Ole!FlammkaDined on 4/16/2014We went to see the Flamenco Show, and got totally impressed! The food seemed too spicy to me (this is not the way they serve it in Spain), but the idea of tiny tapas is outstanding in this world of huge plates :) I will definitely come back.Special Features:
- Feels like a chainWondererDined on 4/14/2014Food was fine, as was the wine selection. Nothing special. Much of the food seemed like it came from a package. A few of our dishes were great but not overall. The ambience, at a quick glance, was nice but on a closer look it is bland and feels "made in China". Nothing original.
- Good Service, Bad FoodMinauteurDined on 4/14/2014We arrived for a 7:30 reservation to a mostly empty restaurant. I requested a window table when making the reservation, but we were seated instead at a terribly (and I mean un-fixable) wobbly table. The hostess was very kind in re-seating us, albeit to another table in the middle of the room, even though there appeared to be plenty of window tables available. I understand that those tables may have been spoken for, and I certainly do not fault the service--the one positive aspect of our dinner. I really enjoy tapas when they are fresh, and not over-wrought, but every dish we ordered at Malaga seemed to be either fried, slathered in cheese, or both. Go to Barleyswine or Blue Dahlia instead.
- Great night for dinner and a movie!austintraveljunkieDined on 4/5/2014Celebrating a birthday with our son and his girlfriend was perfect at this cool little neighborhood bistro. Service was attentive but not overbearing, small plates of beautifully prepared tapas delivered to the table in perfect timing. The fried goat cheese with lavender honey and caramelized onions was unforgettable! And the location of this restaurant next door to the intimate Violet Crown Theater allowed us to take in Grand Budapest Hotel after dinner. Four hour complimentary valet parking provided by the theater if you get your ticket validated. Such a fun and memorable evening...Special Features: