Malaga Tapas and Bar
440 W 2nd Street
Austin, TX 78701Neighborhood:
Tapas / Small PlatesPrice: $30 and under
Malaga Tapas and Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.malagaaustin.com/
- Phone: 5122368020
- Hours of Operation:
Monday- Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm;
Friday: 4:00pm - 12:00am;
Saturday: 12:00pm - 12:00am;
Sunday: 12:00pm - 10:00pm;
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Spanish, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Alejandro Duran
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Malaga offers catering on-site or off-site for any occasion! We can provide any level of service from a seated dinner with staff and rentals to a family-style delivery, or anything in between. Our Event Planner, Amy Dial, will work with Chef Alejandro Duran to propose the best menu for your event and budget. If needed, we can also coordinate the rental of tables, chairs, glassware, tents or anything else you may need for your event. Give us a call or email today to start planning your party! email@example.com
- Entertainment: 1st and 3rd Wednesday of each month - Live Flamenco show.
A word from Malaga Tapas and Bar
Welcome to Malaga. A Spanish European haven located in the popular 2nd Street District of downtown Austin. Malaga Tapas & Bar offers an extraordinary shared dining experience including an extensive wine and champagne selection.Continued
So come join us and let us guide you through a true Spanish culinary adventure.
So come join us and let us guide you through a true Spanish culinary adventure.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Malaga Tapas and Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
53 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (23)romantic (20)great for outdoor dining (18)good for groups (17)notable wine list (16)late-night find (15)special occasion (12)neighborhood gem (9)hot spot (9)scenic view (4)vibrant bar scene (4)great for lunch (2)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Didn't fill my expectationsHopstopperDined on 10/18/2014I visited Malaga one saturday night and it was 11pm the place had like 3 tables with people, the food was not very fullfilling, I ordered the tortilla española, which was ok but very small and lacked flavor,and i also had some fideo with shrimp and the fideo was not cooked well and the shrimp was tiny.. The music was not even spanish.Special Features:
- Delicious!AnaEDined on 10/18/2014Although this was not my first time here, in always so pleased with the food and service. Our waiter, Juan, was charming, engaging and knowledgeable about the menu. The pomegranate sangria was amazing! The scallops were very good and the pork loin rolls were out of this world.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lots of funDavidLTDined on 10/18/2014Great place to make plans before a downtown event. We went before Erasure concert and it was the perfect setup!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014Excellent service. Good food. Beautiful night to dine outside.Special Features:
- Wont be backfoodie75Dined on 10/11/2014I used to love Malaga - It was my go to restaurant. Since changing owners or chefs its been all down hill. I went on a Saturday night with 2 others and the restaurant was dead... which should have been a clue since it was always busy before. If you are hungry go somewhere else... the portions are tiny and no longer include sauce on the side or bread/pita on the side. The wine list is non existent unless you want a $15 glass of sub-par wine. We ordered about 7 different tapas (5 of which were meat or seafood) to share (which in the past was more than enough) and left the restaurant hungry and with an unusually high bill for what we got. All in all skip it. It isn't worth the time or money.
- Terrific FindOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/6/2014Some of the most original and innovative tapas we have ever seen. Everything we had was imaginative and delicious. The star of the show, however was Anastasia, our waitperson. She was personable, informative and very well-informed as to the food and wine. I don't know what you pay her, but it can't be enough.Special Features:
- Not the same MalagaKimberleyDined on 10/4/2014My husband and I have been enjoying Malaga for years. Since moving further out of town, we don't make it there as much as we used to or would like. This last Saturday we headed downtown for a concert and of course made reservations at Malaga. The menu has changed significantly, which was not an issue until we received our food. The portions are at best half of what they were before. For example, the scallop plate was two small scallops that had been cut in half. The Loma al la Plancha has been replaced with a Carne Asada, which again was a much smaller portion and had much less flavor than before. We left hungry (after $200 of food and drinks for 4) and disappointed.Special Features:
- Good tapasAmyODined on 9/26/2014Great selection of menu items. Service was pretty slow on the night we went, even though the restaurant was not jam packed (it was a late dinner). We had to continue to ask our server as well as other servers for an item that we ordered but did not receive (even though we had received all of our other tapas). It was a little frustrating. And, our server only came to check on us once after our initial order. All the food was great, however.Special Features:
- Fantastic placeOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/26/2014Loved this place, and would definitely try again. Server was fun and helpful, and management checked in to make sure all was greatSpecial Features:
- I only go to see flamenco showsFlammkaDined on 9/24/2014Flamenco is the only thing that brings me there. This is a place that will let you leave hungry... their plates are so tiny and definitely not worth the price.Special Features:
- Tasty TapasJoleenDined on 9/18/2014Haven't been to Malaga in years. Bartender was a bit busy - took a bit to get a drink order at the bar. We enjoyed the crab stuffed piquillo peppers, the seared tuna & watermelon (yum), meatballs & empanadas. All were tasty. They were out of the "chicken fritters" already at 7:30pm. We had heard they were excellent, but I guess another time. Not insanely crowded on a very rainy Friday night - so that was a treat as well.Special Features:
- New chef is bringing it!angelanotworkinDined on 9/18/2014Came back to Malaga after many months, wow, what a change! The food was delicious, the new chef is what this place needed! We had a group of 10 and had an amazing time, our server Michelle was great! Looking forward to trying out the new dishes, heard that the chef is rolling one out every week. Welcome back, Malaga!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible service, stole $BadserviceDined on 9/12/2014The service was abysmal- we waited over half an hour for some of our drinks, they brought out doubles of some of the plates we ordered, even though we only ordered one.We also waited for 30-45 minutes after we finished eating and no one approached us to ask if we wanted more drinks, dessert, or the bill. someone had to get up from our table to find waitstaff to print our bill since we had a group of 6 they added tip on the bill at 20%, which is NOT what I would have tip. When I looked on my credit card the next day, they had added $4 on my friend's card, and $5 on mine, even though I did not add any additional tip. HORRIBLE experience
- Delectable!DateSpotDined on 9/6/2014The owner always speaks to us when we come here and it's fantastic. Makes us feel welcomed. Our waiter was so knowledgeable about the menu and have great recommendations. Our food and drinks were swiftly brought to us and the ambiance was perfect for my date with my husband. I will always return to experience Malaga!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great first visit!AustinVeggieDined on 9/3/2014We just happened to be there on the first Wednesday of the month… Tango Night!! We had tickets for a show at ACL, so couldn't hang out. They have a few vegetarian things that can have the dairy removed. Everyone was super friendly and very welcoming. Will definitely be back!!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/1/2014Love this place. The tapas and empanadas are phenomenal. I've been to this place 3 times and they are very consistent.Special Features:
- Fantastic experienceatxmartiniDined on 8/30/2014Made a last minute reservation for a Saturday night and had no trouble being accommodated. The server was very knowledgeable; she asked several questions to get a good idea of what we were looking for, and based recommendations on what we told her. The food was amazing and the drinks were great too. For me, this is more of a great place for girl's night rather than date night, but that's just because I have the feeling my husband wouldn't think it was enough food.Special Features:
- Great ambience food needs workLovetogrubDined on 8/29/2014The location and service were excellent but the food needs improvement. The steak had no flavor and was over cooked. The meatballs tasted too sweet nothing like Spanish meatballs. I would recommend putting the aioli sauce on the side for the shrimp plate.Special Features:
- Understaffed?rfamilyDined on 8/24/2014We were at Malaga for a light meal prior to a show at Moody/ACL. We were seated immediately despite being 20 minutes early for our reservation. Service started out fantastic but as the crowd thickened our service thinned. The inital serving was succulent, scallops were perfectly done empandas had a nice blend of spices and the generous portion of lamb was tender. The fried goat cheese balls made a late appearance after asking the waitstaff no less than 4 times when they would be served. We added a plate of calamari which was plain and it arrived before the goat cheese. The sangrias served were special, a nice change from margaritas. Upon settling our bill our waiter apologized stating they had 2 no shows for work. I will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not goodRegularDinerDined on 8/23/2014After my wife and I were seated, we waited 20 minutes for the waitstaff. When the guy finally comes, he says, "Oh, let me go get some waters." Another five minutes passed and we left. I'm sure it was just this one waiter not being attentive to his section, but we'll never return to Malaga Tapas and Bar.
- Excellent Austin GemSweetTDined on 8/20/2014Spent a really incredible night at Malaga for Tapas and Flamenco. The ambiance is unbeatable with beautiful exposed brick walls and art galore. There is a joyous, energetic vibe among the crowd. The food was incredible and the wine list was one of the best I've seen in Austin. This is a wonderful place for a special meal or late snack.Special Features:
- Flaminco nightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/20/2014What fabulous tapas. The lamb was cooked to perfection. The entertainment was good. Three ladies danced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was goodZeke1963Dined on 8/16/2014We were looking for a good place late on Saturday without a reservation and we were able to get into Malaga. The food was really good. Additionally, all of the menu options looked interesting, so would happily go back.Special Features:
- Great tapasearlybirdDined on 8/16/2014Right downstairs from the Violet Crown so good place to go while you have that free parking. Has good tapas, good drinks, and pleasant ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MalindaDined on 8/14/2014Don't miss the Sangria at happy hour. Food was outstanding. Great tapas menu.Special Features:
- Good food. Good atmosphere.ZoidbergDined on 7/29/2014I'm not a huge tapas fan in general; this was only my second time at a tapas restaurant. I went with a group of 6, and I think that's the way to go. I'm sure it works beautifully as just a couple, but getting 12 different plates as a group was pretty sweet. There was also a painting group thing going on. I thought it was going to be annoying, but it kind of adds to the atmosphere really.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TexTap now in AustinFrankDined on 7/26/2014Malaga continues to serve excellent and well priced wine. The tapas are another matter - I guess you might call them TexTap (like TexMex) since they bear no relation to tapas served in Spain. Also it would be helpful if they served entrees.Special Features:
- Late Evening DinnerIMSherlockDined on 7/21/2014A friend and I had reservations set for 8:15 p.m. but didn't make it to the restaurant until 8:30 p.m. We parked with valet for $7 and were told that we would need to pick up the car at 11:00 p.m. The ambience of the bar restaurant is very nice and we chose to sit inside because of the heat and humidity outdoors. One table seemed to celebrating a birthday or just having a party so it was quite noisy that evening. The entire Wine selection is in Spanish with English descriptions, but our waiter was helpful in making suggestions. We had the Tortilla Málaga, Empanadas Salamanca, and the Coca de Pato, all of which were excellent. Highly recommend this restaurant and will definitely come back here again!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/20/2014The music was a little too loud, but still one of my favorite placesI would recommend this to a friend.
- Great AtmospherePEFXDined on 7/4/2014The weather was so nice for 4th of July sitting outside was fantasticSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spanish flavorAgusDined on 7/3/2014A good place with a good cuisine, the tapas & pintxos selection is good, and the wine list, superb. Do not miss the manzanilla!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 124 reviews are from the Malaga Tapas and Bar reviews archive.
- Great pre-show diningAustinsteVIPDined on 6/26/2014Went before a recent show at Moody Theater. Food was great, service was excellent. I will return againSpecial Features:
- I love Spanish guitar musicMcGirlDined on 6/25/2014The flamenco, music, tapas and wine; great combination! Fun time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/20/2014Great ambience, romantic... special.. Perfect for hanging out with friends or have a wonderful and memorable time with someone special! Amazing wine list, gourmet tapas... Make a reservation! One of the best places at downtown Austin.Special Features:
- Drinks great! Tapas okay.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/20/2014To start: Friday night - it was a nice warm evening and as expected there was a long wait for outdoor seating. Inside didn't have a long wait at all. Their Sangria options were fantastic and we tried a couple. The food on the other hand was just okay. We ordered 4 small plates for 2 people and it took quite a while to come out. The bacon wrapped scallops and pork were excellent but very small portions. So I would recommend to come thirsty not hungry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great timeJBelleDined on 6/13/2014Went for a celebratory dinner with SO and 2 friends and had a great time. Wonderful wine list and delicious food. Ambiance very conducive to lively conversation. We'll absolutely be going back!Special Features:
- Fun and RelaxingExploringDinerDined on 6/4/2014The menu was varied and the tapas were tasty. The service was really good. Tables inside by window are great. Get to people watch, but stay cool. There were several large groups here, and they seemed to be well-treated.Special Features:
- ExcellentCdogg98VIPDined on 5/29/2014This was the 2nd time in 2 weeks, the food was great and service was great on both times. It was nice that the manager or owner asked how are dining experience was.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BebacksoonbebacksoonDined on 5/24/2014Love the tapas concept since my husband usually order several appetizers anyway. Outstanding variety of flavors and we were not disappointed. Would highly recommend the Gambas al Ajillo (sautéed shrimp), the Empanadas, and the Coca de Pato (duck flatbread). Also had the Viuras con Pesto (scallops wrapped in basil and pancetta) but had to unwrap the pancetta from the scallop because it was way too salty and took away from the other flavors. Oh, the Sangrias were tasty too. Can't wait to go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Me encanta!judywDined on 5/21/2014Love everything about this restaurant. Great tapas, great atmosphere, great wine and sangria.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.