406 E 73rd Street
New York, NY 10021Neighborhood:
Upper East Side
SpanishPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.malaganyc.com/
- Phone: 2127377659
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Spanish, Tapas / Small Plates
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Catering options are available. Please contact the restaurant directly.
- Private Party Contact: Ana 2012806925
A word from Malaga Restaurant
Family-run restaurant located on Manhattan's Upper East Side, offering the finest in Spanish cuisine since 1972. Tapas and Wine Bar.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Malaga Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
9 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance3.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (6)fit for foodies (4)good for groups (2)romantic (2)special occasion (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/15/2014Malaga remains a true Spanish culinary gem. We have been coming the restaurant for years and the quality has remain consistent. Whenever we are in New York, we frequent Malaga.Special Features:
- DisappointingEponymous66Dined on 6/1/2014This was our second and last visit to this restaurant. The first time we ate there, our meals were delicious. This time, the food was soaked in oil and fat. Squid consisted of greasy but otherwise tasteless rings; no tentacles. Fortunately, garlic overpowered the pool of oil in which the gambas al ajillo were presented. The tortilla a la española was inedible due to the overwhelming taste of fat. The albóndigas and the croquetas were satisfactory. The salad was tasty. My wife's mariscada al ajillo was swimming in oil. Her spinach was difficult to eat due to the oil dripping from the fork. When I told a waitress that the tortilla was greasy, she agreed! The Spanish wine and sherry-based brandy were excellent. Service was courteous.
- The following 31 reviews are from the Malaga Restaurant reviews archive.
- Terrible ServicearleneVIPDined on 5/17/2014The food good. Something very wrong Sat. nite. Had to wait one hour for food! Waiter hassledSpecial Features:
- Delicious!FoodLoverVIPDined on 5/11/2014Yum! Everything we ate was delicious. We'll be back! Always out go-to spot for large family celebrations.Special Features:
- ReunionnolactosenomeatDined on 5/6/2014This place has been a favorite of my dad for over 40 years. Came here on a Tuesday night so it was pretty empty, but despite that we were still able to have a leisurely dinner. Felt nice to not rush from one dish to the next. The gazpacho was probably the best I've ever had. Enjoyed the sangria and had some delicious paella. Friendly and attentive staff... Could have used a little more water refills but that is nothing to complain about.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Spanish foodLindyDined on 5/3/2014Excellent food, very efficient and helpful service with no feeling of being rushed. The noise level can be a little high when the room is full.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okJwirelessDined on 4/26/2014Very generic and rather bland Spanish food that was constantly under seasoned. Food tasted as if it were mostly pre prepared. Sangria was pretty good as was the chorizo but that was pretty much the extent of the positives. Paella was very bland.
- Just as good as ever!Lisac4Dined on 4/20/2014I used to go here 20 years ago & was happy to go back. Everything was delicious from the dressing on the salad, sangria, to the chicken bechamel. My son had the skirt steak which was also delicious. The portions were plentiful and service was good. Looking forward to going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great nightFoodwarriorDined on 4/11/2014I highly recommend this restaurant. Impeccable service, and the Sangria is one of the best in NYCSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will go backOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 4/5/2014We went as a group with a 10 month old and very picky grandfather. They catered for everyone. The food was excellent. Chicken in red wine and the artichokes were my favorite. Unbelievably reasonable wine list. There is a reason this restaurant has been around for decades. Liked the place so much ordered take out a few days later.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Malaga is amazing. BeautifulmojoDined on 3/28/2014Malaga is amazing. Beautiful decor and tapas to die for. Service was impeccable. Reasonable prices too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent lobsters!namlluVIPDined on 3/22/2014The four of us had the two 1.25 lb lobsters, which came with a good salad and your choice of a side dish, i.e. rice with green sauce, broccoli, potato chips, etc. Everything was delicious, but the small square table couldn't really accommodate the large platters, shell dishes, side dishes, sangria, etc. The dining experience would have been better at a larger table, of which there were very few. However, the lobsters, some steamed and some broiled, were delicious and reasonably priced. We will return soon.Special Features:
- food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/21/2014The food was ok and so was the service. I had not been there for a long time and just was not impressed.Special Features:
- Go to malagaHappyeaterDined on 3/5/2014Great food lots of fun big portions room for two or twenty. Great place for a casual party.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AuthenicDenverfootdocDined on 2/15/2014Authentic Spanish fare. Not like it was when I dined here last...still fine food.
- Enjoyable mealUppereastgal1Dined on 2/1/2014There were two in my party on a Saturday night and our waiter was terrific. We shared 2 appetizers, each of us had a salad and shared entree. It was plenty of food and it was delicious. Would definitely recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I showed up with my date forOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/28/2014I showed up with my date for the time on the reservation only to find the restaurant closed for the evening.
- its been yearsrhonalynnVIPDined on 1/11/2014went back to malaga after many years. a delightful dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It may be due to the factZB3SBVIPDined on 12/12/2013It may be due to the fact that they had two to three large parties that evening but it was a very disappointing experience this last time we went to Malaga. The salads that accompany the meal were half the size they normally are, as was the bread basket.. They came back well after we ordered to say they didn't have the appetizer we ordered apparently as a result of the parties which appeared to be given preferential treatment. One entree was served with the wrong side dish, only to be corrected when they were packing up the leftovers. We also were not asked if we wanted coffee or dessert.
- Mmmmmm, GARLIC!!AlexVIPDined on 11/30/2013My family loves this place, as amazingly garlicky dishes abound. Anything with ajillo sauce is a huge winner, as is shrimp a la chef, chicken villaroy, the churrasco, the sangria, and even the dressing on the salad they provide with each entree. Their garlic bread will ruin your breath for 48 hours and will be worth every second. A great place for a group of people who like flavorful food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointment!meemoVIPDined on 10/10/2013Had been there many years ago, and was not impressed. Thought we would try again. Sat for 20 minutes, with no acknowledgement. Had to ask for water several times. Paella was not good at all, had a strange taste. Service over all perfunctory at best. Too bad, because it is a neighborhood place. Oh well.
- We hadn't been to this restaurantsanta32clausVIPDined on 10/9/2013We hadn't been to this restaurant in probably 30 years........we were in the mood for Spanish cuisine and Malaga is not far from our home. My husband started with the black bean soup.....it was a bit bland so he asked for some sour cream. When they finally rememberd they told us they didn't have sour cream. They asked if we would lilke some cream cheese!!!! It was downhill from there. The food was not good and the service was worse. We will not be going back and I suggest you do not go either. Terrible.
- I love the restaurant, BUTOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/20/2013I love the restaurant, BUT the past two times that I have been there they have been out of lobsters. This is one of their specialties and one of the reasons that I go there, so I am rating them only 3 rather than 5 stars because I have been disappointed the past two times that I went there.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly neighborhood placethomasleeVIPDined on 9/14/2013We went here because I'd heard the lobster was good. It's a Spanish place. They offered lobster steamed, broiled, or in green sauce. I had the green sauce preparation--steamed. The sauce was good, but the dish came with the sauce all over the lobster, which was still in its shell. The crackers wouldn't hold the shells, because they were slippery. Had to create a grip on the lobster with napkins and try to crack it that way. Difficult! Next time I'll have the lobster steamed WITHOUT green sauce or the sauce on the side. We also had some tapas, which were only OK. The mussels didn't seem all that fresh, and they weren't very flavorful. But everyone was friendly and very pleasant, and the vibe was, too. And the prices were more than fair.Special Features:
- Great Food, Service & prices2NYCExpatsDined on 7/27/2013My husband and I had not been to this restaurant in 27 years. When we got there we learned that the same chef was still there and had been for over 30 years. After learning that we expected to have the same great food and we were not disappointed! We had paella and we were so pleased with how perfectly the seafood was cooked. What was most surprising to us were the prices. We now live upstate and the prices were very similar to restaurants in our area. All in all a great experience. Also recommend the sangria!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Decor A Big PlusitbetterbgoodDined on 7/18/2013I hadn't been to Malaga in some time; I was very pleasantly surprised when I walked in to find it had made its way into the 21st century! I had always like its old-fashioned vibe, but it was getting a little grubby. Now, it looks fresh, it's comfortable, and it didn't lose any of its warmth and charm (thanks to the owners and staff who still greet neighborhood friends with a big smile). The food is now a focal point and well worth a visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Old FavoriteAlcopymanDined on 6/26/2013Malaga has been a special place for many years. It was been a while since we've been there and it did not disappoint. It was a delightful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best to avoidDinerVIPDined on 6/22/2013it has been a long time that we had such bad food. Already looking at the menu, we were unimpressed and should have left. unfortunately, we stayed and a miserable culinary experience followed. The only edible item on the menu was the Guacamole - strange for a Spanish restaurant. Do avoid!
- For garlic loversAlexVIPDined on 6/21/2013So much garlic in the food here -- and that's a good thing. Delicious shrimp dishes and other seafood; we also loved the chicken villaroy.Special Features:
- Excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/24/2013Overall excellent experience. Good was great and very authentic. Wine was excellent and great value. Will go back again this week!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, Terrible ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/11/2013The service at this neighborhood restaurant was poor at best. They are understaffed and it take FOREVER for your food to come out. Tapas are generally supposed to come out relatively fast and we waited at least 20-30 min for guacamole to come out. While the food happened to have been good I am not sure I would recommend this restaurant to friends.
- Food OK, but service problemsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/11/2013Never going back. We were a large group which most restaurants would be glad to have and go the extra mile to please. Were seated in the back room, dinner service took longer than average. Waiter was helpful but clearly busy elsewhere for long stretches of time. Food was average. Major negative was argumentative owner/hostess, who refused to keep lights turned up enough for us to be able to read the menus in order to maintain "ambience" -- we think she didn't want anyone to see how badly the room need redecorating - it had a drooping, water-stained ceiling and old panelling. As for the other patrons for whom she wanted to maintain "ambience" -- both were families with small children whose need for ambience ran out a long time ago...Special Features:
- Service was unexceptable,Familia1Dined on 5/11/2013Unexceptable service, told after an hour of sitting waiting for my food that the dish I ordered was not available. I ordered a dish for my son and requested no dairy on the plate and they didn't respect my orders and it had to be sent back. My son waited an additional 39 minutes on top of the hour we already waited. Horrible experience