Malabar Spanish Cuisine
214 N Tryon Street, Suite 3
Charlotte, NC 28202Neighborhood:
SpanishPrice: $30 and under
Malabar Spanish Cuisine
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.conterestaurantgroup.com/
- Phone: (704) 344-8878
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Spanish
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, View, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Malabar offers off-site catering. Let us bring our delicious regional Spanish cuisine to your next meeting or special event. Please contact the restaurant for more information.
- Private Party Facilities: Malabar can be reserved for private events for parties of 25-50 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Mikel Leka 7043448878x
- Cross Street: N Tryon & 5th
- Public Transit: You can use the LYNX Light Rail Blue Line and get off on the CTC/Arena station and walk towards 5th street. Walk west on 5th, one block, to the Hearst Tower located on the corner of 5th and College.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Malabar patrons can park in the Hearst Tower parking deck, entrances are located on 5th and 6th streets in between College & Tryon. We offer two hours free parking validation M-F before 5pm, after 5pm; on weekends parking is free with Malabar validation.
A word from Malabar Spanish Cuisine
Welcome to Malabar, Charlotte's new home for authentic regional Spanish cuisine. Choose from one of our many delicious tapas dishes or the made to order Paella. While dining in our restaurant enjoy our signature Sangria and the scenery of uptown Charlotte.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Malabar Spanish Cuisine reviews from OpenTable diners
61 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (38)special occasion (19)romantic (19)great for outdoor dining (19)good for groups (16)neighborhood gem (13)great for lunch (10)notable wine list (10)hot spot (9)late-night find (8)scenic view (5)great for brunch (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Sundaysat5Dined on 11/18/2014Great tapas selection and quality. Glad to have discovered Altos de Luzon wine.I would recommend this to a friend.
- MediocreOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/8/2014The food was over priced and very mediocre. We felt very rushed. They were really trying to hurry us up and turn our table. Tapas should be slow and relaxed. I would not recommend.
- Awesome dinner!KatieDined on 11/7/2014We had a great dinner! I have Celiac and must eat gluten free, but it was no problem since all the gluten free items are labeled. We were also with a vegetarian, but there was plenty of vegetable tapas to choose from. We had 9 plates for four people and each got a dessert. The only thing I wish we had done differently is to order the tapas a few plates at a time. Since we were all passing around and trying little bits of each, many items were cold by the end. Overall it was a great experience and I can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodFatandHappyDined on 10/31/2014My wife and I ate here on our night out. Food was delicious. Every plate better than the next.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Malabar--the real thing!KathyPeterVIPDined on 10/25/2014Don't settle for another steak restaurant in Uptown; go Spanish. All is terrific and authentic here.Special Features:
- Not up to previous visitsDisappointingDined on 10/22/2014Disappointing. Took a group of 6 for pre-theater dinner. Having been to Malabar several times, and it being conveniently located, we found this visit to be disappointing. Waiter was not very friendly. When asked if a dish could be served without avocado, he said it was part of the preparation when it was added after it was cooked. Shrimp were not prepared as per the menu, other food was not the same quality as our previous visits. Concept of Tapas is great, the menu is very interesting and broad in choices but the quality of food and friendly service has gone down. Maybe that explains why only two other tables were occupied. We likely will not go back.Special Features:
- Food wast most excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/18/2014I heartily recommend this restaurant. Our party of 6 had a variety of tapas and paella. Every dish was flavorful, well prepared and well presented. Our favorites were the Crispy Beef, Churasco, Olives, Paella and Stuffed Peppers. The plate of 3 different ham selections was also tasty! This was our first time and we will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Lite DinnerPepperDined on 10/11/2014If you are looking for a great relaxing evening over drinks and light fare, this is for YOU. Not everyone is into LARGE PORTION dinners... Warm and inviting staff and many great tapas choices.....Eat as many or as few as you like while enjoying the view or just great conversation with your party. We have lived in Charlotte for over 14 yrs as NE retirees and enjoying discovering Charlotte's hidden treasures....I can tell you this is the best Tres Leche we have ever had.Special Features:
- The best of the best!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/4/2014I grew up eating authentic Spanish food and this restaurant brings those flavors back in to my mouth!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- notpleasedDined on 10/4/2014We thought that the food was "just ok". Our main problem was the noise level, which in our opinion was "extreme". We couldn't even talk to our friends on the other side of the table. This is a very small restaurant and they had seated 2 tables of 8 which were the main cause of the noise. A small restaurant needs to limit the size of their tables to something less than 8.Special Features:
- Suz4foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/4/2014Good selection of some of the more traditional tapas (just got back from Spain, so the food memory is still fresh). The seafood was the best - prepared well and cooked properly, with good flavor. Dessert empanadas were disappointing. Service was a bit sluggish - seems a bit understaffed for the big parties they had. Quite loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food!foodsnobDined on 9/20/2014Malabar is excellent! My husband, brother, and I went because we love authentic tapas. By the way, my brother lived in Madrid for a while and thought the food was exquisite. The outside seating feels like you are dining in Europe and the service is excellent!Special Features:
- All around goodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/13/2014Restaurant is good, the food is a little bland and lack spices and flavor, overall very good restaurant would recommend to anyone not native of SpainSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Spanish foodICfromCLTDined on 9/9/2014Great selection of food and wine from Spain and Latin AmericaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lubadubfoodieDined on 8/30/2014This was everything we had heard about Malabar & more. Excellent friendly & helpful service by all. The food was soooo good. Loved the octopus which was a new food for me & can not wait to have again. People watching as sipped sangria on the patio was a perfect way to pass time as we spaced out the plates. May be my go to place anytime friends come to town. Thank you to all there who made our time so special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SelectionmployerDined on 8/30/2014The staff (all) was excellent, courteous and willing to please/satisfy any request. The choice, presentation and preparation of the food was excellant. Had dear friends visiting from Florida whom have traveled extensively throughout Europe and in particular Spain, none of us could stop talking about the restaurant. We will be returning!Special Features:
- Love it!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/22/2014This is my favorite restaurant in the city. Never had the paella, only tapas, but we have never had something we didn't like.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014This is a great place for dinner or a light meal before a performance at the Blumenthal. Very convenient and great food. That parking was complimentary was an added bonus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Usually a great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/15/2014We love Malabar and have been many times. It seems they are becoming heavy handed with the salt. Spanish food's flavor comes from the oil, paprika, and saffron used and salt should be added sparingly, if at all. The staff seemed in a hurry as well. We arrived shortly after 9. There was only one table available (our reserved table). But things were dying down. Waiter came to our table and refilled my water but didn't even ask if my wife needed a refil. Things like that happened all night. Our expectations are high for Malabar and they have had no problems meeting them in the past. We hope our most recent experience is not a sign of things to come.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spanish fun in CLTShawnaDined on 8/15/2014This reminded me so much of a little spot in Barcelona, but it's downtown Charlotte! A nice retreat from "normal" city life.Special Features:
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/8/2014We started our evening out at Malabar. Our group of 8 girls ordered and shared 8 different tapas plates. My favorites were the crispy beef, tuna tartar and the mushrooms. Thank you for a lovely evening and a great time!Special Features:
- Excellent TapasOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/8/2014Choose this for an early dinner before a concert. Great vegetable TAPAS... would go to again.Special Features:
- Malabar reviewTrkhDined on 8/7/2014Excellent selection of tapas. They have something for everyone: carnivores, vegetarian, gluten-free. Excellent service too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quick-ish lunchJECMDined on 8/6/2014Very good food, location and ambiance for a team lunch!Special Features:
- terrible servicechinafwDined on 8/1/2014The service was terrible. The selection of red wines by the glass was dissapointing. The food was ok.
- The following 359 reviews are from the Malabar Spanish Cuisine reviews archive.
- Eat here!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/26/2014I ate here during Charlotte restaurant week. Staff was friendly. The food was delicious and the portions were perfect! I'll definitely go to Malabar again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ehhhqueencity87Dined on 7/26/2014Went here for restaurant week with my husband and was so disappointed. Service was terrible. Waited 15 minutes until our waitress even came over to address us. Asked for her opinions on dishes and didn't really get any. She had us order our three courses all at once but then after we finished our apps 20 minutes goes by before she comes over to tell us "there's a problem in the kitchen, you ordered the bass and mixed plate right?" uhh no, so we corrected her and waited another 15 minutes for our food to be made and brought out. Overall annoying experience, we would have put up with the service issues had the food actually been good. Only saving grace was the sangria and phenomenal tres leche dessert. Probably won't be back.
- big timeenjoythefoodDined on 7/25/2014Great energy in this restaurant. Feels almost like new York city in the summer. It was really busy probably for restaurant week but our service was outstanding. We ordered the gambas (shrimp) and croquetas. Both were exceptional. For entrees we had a mixed grill with sweet sausage, chicken and steak with a spicy cabbage, everything about it was amazing. I got sad after the last bite it was so good. My lady had black bass and she thoroughly enjoyed it. For dessert we had flan and tres leches. Both great. The food here is exceptional. The servers were very attentive and knowledgeable. They made sure our experience was pleasant and it was that and more. Thank you malabar for a great night. We will be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Food IS Good.....butDivaDinerDined on 7/25/2014The food was delicious. However, the owner (I think it was the owner) did nothing to control the drunken, loud, obnoxious table who were irritating the other guests in the very small restaurant.Special Features:
- very nicecltnativeDined on 7/25/2014We came in with a party for 8. I had made reservations for restaurant week and our table was all ready for us. Some of us ordered off the queens feast menu and some of us just had tapas. The wine here is wonderful. we ordered a bottle of massimo, and 2 ladies in the party had malabar mojitos and said they were very good. The overall experience was great. Our server was very attentive always making sure our drinks were full. He gave us great reccomendations on the food and we loved everything. The flan and tres leches were the best desserts ive had in charlotte in a long time. The best thing i like about this restaurant is the ambiance. You feel like your part of a neighborhood hangout or something much bigger. We loved malabarSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RdRdavieDined on 7/24/2014We had a reservation and did not get seated until 45 min later . The place was really small and the service was horrible . Don't waste your time or money
- Decent experienceNew2southDined on 7/24/2014Although the food wasn't all that memorable, it was enjoyable and something new. What I really enjoyed and the reason I would recommend this place to others was the overall experience. I enjoyed the vibe! It felt like I was at a neighborhood hangout in a bigger city. The servers and support staff were all very friendly and patient. I never felt rushed nor ignored. It was a relaxing and fun dinner. Enjoy the food, go back for the dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrendous experienceGB2003Dined on 7/22/2014The food was great! I had the garlic shrimp and the eggplant. The service was terrible! They ran out of items like chicken empanadas. My friend had to wait for about 40 mins only to be told that they ran out. The servers seemed like they ran a lunch room cafeteria rather than a nice restaurant. I would never come back there again and I would never recommend it. It is not worth the money when you can't enjoy the meal.
- Very disappointedAmyDVIPDined on 7/22/2014Very disappointed in my dinner at Malabar. We were rushed and the noise level was extremely loud. We asked the server about the different desserts, and she refused to provide any explanation of the dessert options to my friend. I won't be going back.
- lovely romantic eveningargentinefoodieDined on 7/21/2014Dined with malabar for the first time. Was not disappointed! Romantic, back-corner table. Courses were prompt, but not rushed. Cinnamon flan was the best I've had in a long time. Alejandra did a great job at pairing an off menu wine feature for our dinner. Perfect from start to finish. We will be back. Thank you for a lovely evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good appetizer and dessertJackieDined on 7/20/2014Probably the best flan in Charlotte, and good stuffed pepper appetizer. Flank steak was minuscule and meatballs with rice were unexciting
- hehkenneythejetDined on 7/19/2014Food was ok, not really flavorful for tapas Kinda pricey ...service was extremely slow. Myfriendis Dominican and knows spanish food and she was like well we dont need to come back here.Special Features:
- Get the Sangria!SidamoDined on 7/19/2014We have a special place in our hearts (and in our stomachs) for Malabar. We really like Spanish food and tapas. We have been a few times to this restaurant. this night I got the figs stuffed with cheese, ham and almonds. OUT of this world great. Sweet, salty and irresistible! My husband got roasted peppers stuffed with cheese and rice, also very good. We had a lovely evening at Malabar and have told all of our friends to try it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 7/16/2014Best tapas in Charlotte. Beautiful restaurant, great ambiance and high quality food. We will be back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- ThomasDined on 7/15/2014the food is good, environment is friendly, service is professional, location is convenient, good place for team lunch, good spanish foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.