Malabar American Cooking
2960 Del Paso Rd
Sacramento, CA 95834Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Malabar American Cooking
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.malabaramericancooking.com/
- Phone: 9165749074
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sa 10:00am-2:00pm
Lunch: M-Th 11:00am-4:00pm;Su 10:00am-2:00pm
Dinner: M-Sa 4:00pm-10:00pm;Su 2:00pm-9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Contact: Suzanne 9165749074
- Entertainment: All NFL games during the season.
A word from Malabar American Cooking
Our Goal is to provide each guest with a unique and satisfying dining experience simply based on what we believe people like to eat. We have created an extraordinary menu that offers choices from all walks of American life. With pride, our chefs use U.S.D.A. Choice and Certified Angus beef, fresh fish, sauces, marinades and dressings made from scratch, fresh hand cut vegetables prepared to order, garden fresh salads and home-made desserts. We know how hard you work for every dollar, so it’s important that you feel the great service and terrific cuisine is worth every penny. By offering over 20 entrees’ under $10 and a family friendly kids menu we want to fit your budget whether you're in for a quick bite with the family or doing a night on the town. We are equally proud of our bar with its unique cocktail menu, wine selections and wide range of draught and bottled beer. Please stop in or try our convenient curbside/take out service.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
Malabar American Cooking - Best Restaurants in Sacramento ›
Malabar American Cooking reviews from OpenTable diners
33 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (10)great for brunch (9)special occasion (9)good for groups (8)great for lunch (7)romantic (5)kid-friendly (4)fit for foodies (3)notable wine list (2)vibrant bar scene (2)hot spot (1)Show More
- No GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/29/2014Wish I could say something good about the food. Both me and my dinner partner were very disappointed in our choices. The tortilla was so hard I could not eat it , the inside was cold and very dry. Bob said his hamberger was nothing special for being that expensive. I will say that the service was wonderful and the mamager took my meal off the bill, Not sure we will ever try it again.
- brunch was excellentJasonDined on 8/24/2014Our food was excellent, and the service was quite good. Rule of thumb - if the breakfast potatoes are really good, usually the rest of the meal is, too! One negative, the host was rarely at his station; we waited a while to be seated and one family waited so long for him that they seated themselves. Nevertheless, a good brunch and we would definitely go back.Special Features:
- Won't be backRealisticReviewDined on 8/22/2014I live close by and wanted to try this restaurant, but always knew it was a little overly priced. Surprisingly, they must want to spark new people to come in, so they generated a Groupon. $18 for $30 worth of food. My husband and I have date night once a week, where we get dressed up and go out. I felt a little offended a few times here. First, the hostess (who was wearing leggings and a long striped tee) seated us at a table, and said "you guys look great tonight, where are you going?" .... "Here". Was there something that was wrong with wearing a dress and wedges and curling my hair to come to what I thought was a little nicer establishment? My nachos, great. Drinks, took forever. Waitress, rude.Guy who worked there, drunk; Obvious drunk.
- Noisy and Cold with Good FoodMauriceVIPDined on 8/13/2014We visited 830PM on a Wed evening. The restaurant was kept way too cold, even switched tables to get out of the draft but not much help. Conversation is not possible without raising your voice. It looks like it would be an intimate place for a date night but not so much. Burgers and steak sandwich were very good. Service needs help.
- Great food!CoachKireDined on 7/12/2014I was surprised how nice the place was. Great atmosphere, and awesome food! The service staff kept their distance, but were very attentive! Highly suggest!Special Features:
- Good service, so so foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/27/2014Wait staff was friendly and attentive. Food was just ok. I went there for 2 things, crab cakes and the creme brûlée. The crab cakes were pretty good although small for the price but the creme brûlée was maybe the worst I've ever had. Not sure if u like flan but I don't and this was basically flan with a caramel glaze on top..... The custard was super soft and slimy. Also got the fish and chips, portion was Hugh to my surprise but the fish was chewy and tough bit through. Overall, I wasn't impressed with my food selections.
- Have never had a bad mealMclovinVIPDined on 6/26/2014Malabar is consistently good. Have only ever gone for lunch. Always order the Tortilla Soup. Had the Crab Sliders and the coleslaw added a nice touchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awful ServiceNancyKVDined on 6/24/2014It's not very often that I feel compelled to write a negative review of a restaurant, but Malabar leaves me no other choice. We arrived for our reservation for 10 ppl approx 1/2 hour before the end of happy hour. Our server informed us that happy hour was only honored in the bar area and by going to the bar to order our drinks, we were "taking money away from her." Watching her body language when she spoke to the manager, she was clearly not in the mindset to service our table. When the Mgr came to talk to us, he was not much better. He did nothing to make us feel better about the treatment by his staff. He changed our server, after we requested it. Extremely disappointing. We ended up leaving to have dinner elsewhere. Never again.
- Malabar - Ok, sureOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/13/2014The mixed drink menu is nice and good, but their food falls short. The fries were cold and unevenly salted (some salty, some not). The crab sliders were kind of gross, you get 1 tbsp of crab cake on a huge bun with tons of very sweet coleslaw. We just ate the tiny cake and discarded the rest. My friends said their food was 5 out of 10. Their fresh-squeezed lemonade is more like lemon juice, and the Arnold Palmer I ordered was bitter and sour because of it. I ordered pineapple juice instead, which was good. Our waiter kept forgetting our order, but was nice at least. This is my second visit, and my food experience was about the same: "meh." Everyone liked the atmosphere. The bar menu is good, but I won't return just for the food.Special Features:
- Vegan menuOTfanVIPDined on 6/12/2014I appreciated that the chef asked if I wanted extra vegetables in my vegan salad. Yes! My husband's salmon and polenta were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never a Bad Meal...Luvs2eatDined on 6/7/2014My birthday filet mignon was perfection, as were the Calamari appetizer! The start of a wonderful evening...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and service are good!NateVIPDined on 5/25/2014Great place to stop on the way home from the airport. Joseph L. was our server and did a great job.I would recommend this to a friend.
- shastaDined on 5/23/2014Came up for a graduation dinner. 8 of us. Great food and service.Special Features:
- Very impressive!Luv2eatDined on 5/11/2014This was our first visit, and not the last. Our server, Shelly, was professional, friendly and fast. We liked our table, which was tucked away from the center of the restaurant. However with dishes and silverware real close, and servers passing constantly, it was a little noisy. We liked the extensive menue. Our food was delicious, and beautifully presented.Special Features:
- Great BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/11/2014Had a great Mother's Day brunch! Seating was quick, food was excellent, waitress was outstanding.Special Features:
- DisappointingDisappointingDined on 5/11/2014Went to Malabar for Mother's Day brunch. Restaurant was not crowded. No special menu for brunch. We ordered off of the menu. It took a long time for the food to arrive, and when it did, it was cold. My Mom, my wife and I all had to send our food back. Then, another long wait. During this whole time there was no refill on my coffee. Finally had to ask for it. Also, our toast was delivered while we were waiting for a warm-up on our food. Even after the food was re-delivered...it was not hot. Barely warm would be a better description. There was nothing special about the breakfast, the portions were on the small side and the service was mediocre. Needless to say, I won't be returning to this restaurant anytime soon, if ever
- The following 88 reviews are from the Malabar American Cooking reviews archive.
- Great Eats Close to Sac AirportLadyMDined on 4/25/2014Seems like we're always looking for a dinner/meeting place close to Sacramento Airport that's a step above a Chili's or Red Robin. Malabar works out great! The food was excellent, the wine list included a strong selection of mid-range ($40) wines and the service was good. Plus there's a great kids' menu! The only downside was the noise level. Our conversation consisted of yelling across the table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice comfortable atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/28/2014Nice comfortable atmosphere for our early dinner(5:30). Noise level was very low - perfect to chat. Service was good too. Our waitress checked on us a few times and was very nice when we decided to order dessert after she had already brought out check. We had the pulled pork sandwich and the steak sandwich. Both were good. Dessert was the cobbler - peach with vanilla ice cream. Also delicious.Special Features:
- great business lunch spot5kadayDined on 3/28/2014If you're looking for a spot for a great business lunch or lunch with friends this is the spot in North Natomas. Upscale feel, reasonable prices, great food, great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EnjoyableOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/16/2014A group of us had a wonderful evening out. Excellent food. The server was available, but not overbearing. Never felt rushed. Malabar is one of my favorite eateries to host people for business.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Girls' Night OutNancy696Dined on 3/14/2014Great spot to meet when coming from different areas near Sacramento. Comfortable booths. Not too loud. Friendly staff. Good food, average prices.Special Features:
- Greatly enjoyed the food andOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/3/2014Greatly enjoyed the food and the atmosphere. I held a meeting there with customers, and all parties had a great time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Girls lunch outDayoutDined on 3/3/2014Early lunch today. Pulled Pork sandwich and peanut coleslaw was enjoyed by half of the party. Grilled prawn caesar was good although skimpy for some reason on the prawns this time. Reuben was perfect. Service was excellent as water was refilled as asked for. Pretty quiet as it was an early lunch, but table for 5 was awkward sizing with not really comfortable spacing for the group. Will come again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall, very goodNateVIPDined on 2/26/2014Perfect place to have a meal before an event at the Sleep Train Arena. The food was very good again. Portions are large. The fish special was very good. Chris S. was our server and did a very good job.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice SpotskinnyfoodluvrDined on 2/14/2014Great spot, lovely atmosphere, prompt service. Great drinks reasonable prices, will be eating there regularly.Special Features:
- Good FoodHBShyleeDined on 2/14/2014The food was good, it is loud overall in the restaurant. The service was very poor. Complain to management they paid for our appetizer. Calamari was very chewy. They stated that it usually isn't that packed, so it may not be as loud on other occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2014Went there for Valentine's Day and was very pleased with the staff and their professionalism with the massive volume of customers they had at the time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice FindSusanDined on 2/14/2014Went here for Valentine's Day dinner, before a concert. Had a nice time. Margarita was all right, though from a mix, I believe. My Thai chicken salad was tasty. My friend's steak sandwich was a bit underdone, but she still enjoyed it. Servers were attentive but not too attentive.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food and service werectct955Dined on 2/13/2014The food and service were great. Just a little noisy if you are planning a hot date. We were with the kids do that didn't matterSpecial Features:
- Wonderful EveningPoodleMomDined on 1/30/2014The food and service were excellent. We've come here several times and it it's always an enjoyable experience with a high level of service and great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We ate there twice. GreatBrunswickDined on 1/24/2014We ate there twice. Great food, seared ahi was fabulous. Highly recommenSpecial Features:
- Solid performanceClyde5519Dined on 1/24/2014I have eaten lunch at Malabar a number of times and always enjoyed it; this was the first time I had dinner. Arrived at 6:15 on a Friday, had made a reservation and was seated almost immediately. Staff was pleasant, booth comfortable. However it was very noisy, although probably not surprising given the time and day of the week. Food and service were considerably better than average. Our meals arrived almost too quickly. We lingered after eating and the crowd thinned out and the noise level dropped to acceptable levels. The food isn't cheap, but good quality and generous portions; overall a decent value. I will be going back and will continue to recommend Malabar to my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great spot near SAC airportsamesDined on 1/23/2014in a land of strip mall and fast food nice haven for a bit!Special Features:
- Service was slow, coffee coldmother6Dined on 1/19/2014Service was slow, coffee cold and food had so many bell peppers, you couldn't taste anything else. Bacon not cooked to order, scrambled eggs didn't taste like eggs. I will give them credit for serving hot food. The waitress argued with my husband about the child coffee because she just made it. But when he put his finger in his cup, she brought fresh cups. Maybe they should stick to lunch and dinner and leave breakfast Ru IHOP!Special Features:
- Food was good. Service wasOTfanVIPDined on 1/12/2014Food was good. Service was OK. Not too memorable, although the hostess did remember to give us the vegetarian menu that she saw on Open Table request.
- good experienceRandyJoDined on 1/10/2014we had 4 different appetizers...all were very good....service was above the norm and we enjoyed the dining.....definitely would recommend and we be returning for an encore.Special Features:
- Great place to meet friendskdubDined on 12/28/2013Right off the I-5 near Sac Intl. Airport, met some friends from out of town for dinner. . Moderately priced and great menu variety. We will return to try more dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kings Night OutLowballDined on 12/11/2013Make reservations the day before if you are attending a Kings game. This place gets booked up quickly and you may end up waiting if you have more than a party of 2. The bar also gets packed so it's standing room only if you show up @ 6. Service was very good, food was good...just not cooked how we ordered it and we didn't have time to send it back for round two. Kings Martini was awesome! Tito's handmade Vodka, dry vermouth, and cream cheese olives...nice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Malabar American CookingNorrisDined on 11/29/2013Lodging was in the nearby Homewood Suites, where I had stayed before. Malabar American Cooking is visible from Del Paso Road (no entrance), but not from the next street south... In a sea of fast food restaurants, Malabar American Cooking was quite a nice discovery for a more fine dining option in the immediate area. Although Malabar staff told me they've been in business for eight years, I didn't even notice their presence a couple of years ago. The restaurant is designed with flair, with a wide variety of nouveau American menu selections. There were three people in our party and everyone enjoyed the appetizer, main dish, and dessert! A destination to be visited again! :)Special Features:
- GOOD FOOD. UNBEARABLE NOISESeniorfoodieVIPDined on 11/14/2013We'd been to this restaurant for lunch and really enjoyed it so we went back for dinner on a Thursday night. Big mistake. There was apparently a rock concert at the Arena that night and the place was jammed. We had reserved a booth along the side but we still could hear each other. Food was good. But we'll not return in the evening.