Mala Ocean Tavern - Lahaina
1307 Front St.
Lahaina, HI 96761Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $31 to $50
Mala Ocean Tavern - Lahaina
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.malaoceantavern.com/
- Phone: (808) 667-9394
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 9:00am - 3:00pm;
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 4:30pm - 9:00pm
Happy Hour: Daily: 3:00pm - 4:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Pan-Asian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Mark Ellman
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: sorry we do not do any catering
A word from Mala Ocean Tavern - Lahaina
Thank you for choosing Mala Ocean Tavern - Lahaina. Should your plans change, please let us know. We look forward to serving you. Mala is a very small restaurant and we do our best to accommodate everyone. That being said, all seating is on a FIRST come FIRST serve basis with reservations having a priority.We DO NOT RESERVE TABLES ON THE LANAI.Once you Arrive we will Immediately put you on a Priority Wait List for the lanai seating.Thank you and we look forward to seeing you at Mala .Continued
We have FREE valet parking nightly.
We have FREE valet parking nightly.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Mala Ocean Tavern - Lahaina - Best Restaurants in Lahaina ›
Mala Ocean Tavern - Lahaina reviews from OpenTable diners
170 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (138)great for outdoor dining (114)fit for foodies (103)neighborhood gem (75)romantic (68)special occasion (64)hot spot (50)great for lunch (35)great for brunch (21)vibrant bar scene (21)notable wine list (21)good for groups (16)kid-friendly (14)late-night find (9)Show More
- Try the Whole Wok Fried Market Fish.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/17/2014Excellent choice, & well worth the price. I've eaten at a number of restaurants on Maui & by far this is one of the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LouMacDined on 11/15/2014Love the food and restaurant but were disappointed that we had to wait 40 min for a table outside after making a reservation 4 days ahead.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DRamonDined on 11/15/2014We have always made Mala a must stop when vacationing in Maui but we won't be going back here. Very disappointing food and drinks. The $30 Ahi appetizer was lacking flavor and seemed like something thrown together by an amatuer chef. The Mahi Mahi Cerviche was decent but very lemony.The Mia Tias tasted like orange juice. All in all this was a disappointing meal. Mala now has valet parking but we will keep on driving the next time we are in Maui. Not sure if they have a new chef or if they are putting better resources at their sister restaurant. So bummed.Special Features:
- Excellent food with energetic atmosphere!RainZone151Dined on 11/14/2014The food here was outstanding! The Mala 'rita was one of the best we've ever had! We were there after dark so didn't get a chance to see the view...but pretty sure it would be great around sunset. This is a popular place with convenient complimentary valet parking but very small. Reservations a must. To accommodate the most people the tables are very closely spaced...so not the best for romance or a private conversation!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KtODDined on 11/13/2014Best food and dining experience I had in Maui The ambience was great. The service was wonderful. Most of all, the food was FABULOUS!Special Features:
- Turned OffOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/13/2014I am completely turned off by restaurants that want to charge a dollar to split a sandwich and serve it on a separate plate. What kind of customer service is that? I was disappointed in this restaurant and wished that I had chosen a different place to enjoy a meal.
- MALA FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/12/2014The food at Mala is terrific. From the outside this restaurant looks like a dive but inside is anything but. Terrific location over the water. Good bar scene and the food is really fresh and unusual. Waiters are knowledgable and friendly. Every time you're in Lahina you must go to this restauranrt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One to not miss!SRRaiderfanDined on 11/12/2014We fortunately arrived before our reservation and were treated with a front row seat to the ocean! The sound of the waves, smell of the ocean, and view of the sunset provided the perfect setting for our outstanding meal. We started with the award winning Mai Tai's. Great presentation, but the actual drink didn't knock our socks off. The waiter recommended the seared ahi bruschetta - OMG! They were fabulous. That led us to the fish of the night and the Balinese Stirfry w/organic brown rice. Both really worked. No room for desserts. We will definitely be paying another visit to the Mala Ocean Tavern on our next visit to Maui...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- one of favoritesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/8/2014we eat here 3 times a year every year. ususally twice in one week. Have never had a bad meal and serice is always exellent. Good wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOMaxVIPDined on 11/5/2014$ 45 for seafood pasta is steep even for Lahina. It was very tasty though. Large portions, easily shared if you are interested in keeping the price below $100 for 2. We've been there a couple of times, will try other places next time we're in Maui.
- What a find!Luv2travelDined on 11/5/2014Beautiful view and sunset, great service and amazing food. We'll definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Luv2eatLuv2eatDined on 11/4/2014Great food with ocean view, can't get better than thisSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placeNormaEDined on 11/2/2014Have eaten here several times- love- only complaint was this time tables outside TOO CLOSE for comfort.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What has happened?HinsdaleFoodieVIPDined on 11/1/2014We have a condo at the Honua KI and come to Maui yearly. We have always anticipated the Mala ahi tuna bruschetta and other dishes. The fish was mealy and not of the same caliber that we have come to expect......too bad.Special Features:
- Beautiful and deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014We are on our honeymoon and mala was the first place we went out to dinner. We got a recommendation to go there from a local and a friend that was here last year. I got the machengo and my husband got the ahi tuna.. It was out of this world.. Perfect start to our honeymoon!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ahi burger in paradisegenkinsVIPDined on 10/31/2014My wife and I have been here a few times, but never tried their ahi burger till now. I've had my share of ahi burgers and Mala's is my favorite. We each had one and stated with the ahi bruschetta, which is also just as amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Greatreative cuisine, as alwaysFoxIsleGeorgeDined on 10/31/2014Have never had a negative experience at any Mark Ullman restaurant. We generally order small plates rather than dinners. They are available in abundance and of high quality and creativity.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great little gem on the beachPlacestoloveDined on 10/27/2014The title says it all. The beach is so close you might get wet at high tide. I could throw a crouton and hit the water. The view is spectacular and the food was good and lots of it. In short, one of those funky little places that doesn't look like much from the road or the parking lot, but delivers a perfect experience without a lot of glitz. The service was just right, not intrusive but fast and the guys were funny and laid back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ocean View & Great FoodBsatovskDined on 10/25/2014Love going to Mala. Its always amazing food and great service. Often visit for Brunch, Dinner and drinks. Can't be beatSpecial Features:
- Another Marvelous EveningPanebVIPDined on 10/23/2014Great for sunset dinner. Parking has radically changed since our last visit, free valet parking, difficult to find parking now. I always have to have the clams and my friend did as well. We chose the medium spice, which is hot but no serious burn. The wives opted for a catch of the day option, which both found to be very tasty. The calamari was great, no heavy batter here, light and you can enjoy the taste of the calamari. We had a affagato (ice cream and espresso sundae) and our friends had a Carmel Miranda fruit and Macadamia Nut Ice Cream dessert which is always a winner. For us, Mala and her sister restaurant Honu are MUST visit dining spots whenever we come to Maui. Downside is that is has become a little pricier than in the old days.Special Features:
- Gorgeous Views, Delicious FoodFPepoonVIPDined on 10/18/2014Ma'la has become one of our favorite dining spots in West Maui. It's right on the water in Lahaina, and the views are gorgeous, especially at sunset. It's a small place so be sure to book a reservation. The bar was recently updated and is beautiful - and usually crowded. The food, though, is the real reason to visit Ma'la. Any daily special is always delicious, unique, and perfectly prepared. I always get whatever fish is freshly caught and I have never been disappointed. My husband loves the Kobe-style burger, always juicy, delicious, and perfectly cooked. Service is wonderful, with knowledgeable and friendly staff who go out of their way to make you feel welcome. The wine list is good and wines are fairly priced.Special Features:
- Great brunch locationMauiFunDined on 10/18/2014My sister and I had brunch here and enjoyed sitting by the window and listening to the waves rushing through the black stones making a clacking noise. The food was wonderful as was the mimosa. It was a good way to start the day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bet You Can't Drink Just One. . .OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/15/2014Somehow, sitting directly next to an ocean always makes food taste better. . .at least for me it does! Mala Ocean Tavern was no exception, especially when they rolled back the outdoor roof, and we were sitting on the patio at sunset. Although not off the charts, the food was very good. What was off the charts for me was the ginger martini. . .incredible!!! I knew ahead of time that we would be sitting close to others, but that being said, we were sitting REALLY close to others. Not such a bad thing since we made friends with two really nice ladies who sound like will be new customers for my boyfriend's store in Fullerton. The service was excellent, by the way!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good experienceKosmoKramerDined on 10/15/2014As with many local restaurants in Maui, seating is very very tight. Expect to make friends with whoever is dining next to you as it is crammed very very tight. We had 5:30 reservations, arrived 15 mins early and sat on the "patio" with the roof covering. Shortly before sunset, they retracted the roof and lit the torches. Nice view of the sunset. Good for 2 person dining, not sure I'd want to bring a group of 4 in.Special Features:
- SardinesRobfromHonoluluDined on 10/14/2014They are just packing too many people in here. And the prices have gotten outrageous. I will not return.Special Features:
- Pleasant Lahina seaside experienceTavernandTurtlesDined on 10/14/2014It was very difficult to park but once inside the restaurant has a lovely oceanside view through large open windows. We had hoped to see more than one turtle but they were elusive that day...entres were well appointed & quite tasty...we enjoyed our lunch very much.. Great palce to ocean watch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Dining ExperiencePattiinsurpriseVIPDined on 10/13/2014Our first visit to Mala was a pleasant surprise. Recommended by the Westin, they were spot on with their advice. Annie, our waitress, was friendly and very knowledgable about the menu. The big, fat Greek salad was the best I've ever had as was the ahi. I believe that no matter what you order, you won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as I remembersh5345Dined on 10/12/2014Was a bit disappointed in Mala Ocean Tavern this time. We eat there every time go to Maui and, in the past, it has been great. This time we felt the food was not as good as in the past. Yukon gold mashed potatoes were extremely watery - tasted almost like they were instant. The place is very busy and hard to get in. For us, it's not worth the hassle anymore.Special Features:
- Our favorite little secretFoodiesforlife1Dined on 10/11/2014We go to Maui every year and since the first time we ate at Mala we were hooked. We love the amazing food, drinks and courteous staff. The seafood is so fresh and the servings are more than enough to share. The ahi bruschetta and oyster shooters are over the top. The seafood pappardelle dish is filled with the freshest seafood and delicious fresh made pasta. My husband always gets the seared ahi and says it's the best he's had. We highly recommend Mala to everyone we meet when we are in Maui.Special Features:
- Obviously don't need our businessOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014Celebrating our 15th wedding anniversary we made this reservation weeks in advance before flying sixteen hours to Maui. I made note in the reservation that we were celebrating, took an early 5:30pm time and asked to be seated directly on the water.We arrived at 5:15pm. I reviewed our request with the man seating us, but he said "sorry, that is what we have. Ironically there was a table open by the water, but I guess someone else more important was holding it. They could have cared less! We left, went to Kimo's were they were willing to serve us the dinner menu at a waterfront table in the bar and it was wonderful!!!!! We have a lot of friends who travel here often. We made sure to tell them to take their business somewhere other than Mala!Special Features:
- Unique and enjoyableGr8tdineVIPDined on 10/10/2014Right on ocean so would recommend booking at time o view sunset. Unique menu with great food and friendly staffSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed the mealFunInMauiDined on 10/10/2014We went to Mala for an early dinner. Loved the open patio with ocean view! Friends had recommended the Bruschetta. Loved the Bruschetta! The table also had the Kobe burger, Fish sandwich, Clams and Hoisin Ribs. All these dishes were very good and I would recommend them. Table shared the macaroni and cheese because we'd seen it recommended but we didn't care for that dish. Service was a bit more formal/stiff in the beginning but once we mentioned the restaurant had been recommended to us, the waiter loosened up a bit :). We enjoyed our time overall and I'd recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceLocalFoodiesDined on 10/9/2014The staff is awesome....food is incredible. A gem in Lahaina.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friend's first!icaneatDined on 10/7/2014Was able to show you off to friends who always go to their favorite place when they come to Maui, now Mala is added to their short special list of must eats!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as alwaysFoxIsleGeorgeDined on 10/4/2014Never have had bad experience at a Mark Allman restaurant. Creative cuisine, quality ingredients, attractive presentation, wonderful tastes.Special Features:
- Best Seafood in LahainaGaryRVIPDined on 10/3/2014Fresh fish, local foods and excellent preparation make Mala a local gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot!KikireganDined on 10/3/2014Mala is the perfect spot to bring out of town guests. Being right on the water the ambiance is perfect and the food is incredible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing! We love this gem! great!!!SandieBeach55Dined on 10/1/2014We love Mala's & visit there every time we are in Maui!! The view on their deck is fantastic, service wonderful, & food outstanding! It is a small gem in Maui & we will return every year we are here!! Love it!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top 5 best meals of my lifeEatalotDined on 9/30/2014Everything at Mala was amazing! We showed up half an hour early for our reservation and instead of making us wait they sat us right away at a perfectly romantic table for two right on the water front! We got started with a half order of the seared ahi bruschetta which was TO DIE FOR! My only regret is that we didn't get a full order of it! We also got a Caesar salad to share that was delicious. For dinner my wife had the sautéed fresh market fish, the fish was fresh and cooked perfectly and the olowalu tomato cream sauce it was in was incredible. I had the asian fried chicken which was honestly one of my favorite chicken dishes I have ever tried in my entire life! Delicious, lightly fried, and the coconut mojo sauce had me doing backflips!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A win win!AZTXDined on 9/30/2014We loved Mala! Despite a bumpy beginning waiting for the host/hostess for almost 20 minutes and then greeted with no apology. After that it was smooth sailing. Amazing server, food was incredible, and love love love that it's small! See you next time Mala!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.