Mala Ocean Tavern - Lahaina
1307 Front St.
Lahaina, HI 96761Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $31 to $50
Mala Ocean Tavern - Lahaina
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.malaoceantavern.com/
- Phone: 808 667-9394x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 9:00am - 3:00pm;
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 4:30pm - 9:00pm
Happy Hour: Daily: 3:00pm - 4:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Pan-Asian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Mark Ellman
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: sorry we do not do any catering
A word from Mala Ocean Tavern - Lahaina
Thank you for choosing Mala Ocean Tavern - Lahaina. Should your plans change, please let us know. We look forward to serving you. Mala is a very small restaurant and we do our best to accommodate everyone. That being said, all seating is on a FIRST come FIRST serve basis with reservations having a priority.We DO NOT RESERVE TABLES ON THE LANAI.Once you Arrive we will Immediately put you on a Priority Wait List for the lanai seating.Thank you and we look forward to seeing you at Mala .Continued
We have FREE valet parking nightly.
We have FREE valet parking nightly.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Mala Ocean Tavern - Lahaina - Best Restaurants in Lahaina ›
Mala Ocean Tavern - Lahaina reviews from OpenTable diners
161 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (127)great for outdoor dining (104)fit for foodies (91)neighborhood gem (69)romantic (67)special occasion (53)hot spot (45)great for lunch (40)great for brunch (22)vibrant bar scene (18)notable wine list (18)kid-friendly (15)good for groups (13)late-night find (7)Show More
- Great little gem on the beachOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/27/2014The title says it all. The beach is so close you might get wet at high tide. I could throw a crouton and hit the water. The view is spectacular and the food was good and lots of it. In short, one of those funky little places that doesn't look like much from the road or the parking lot, but delivers a perfect experience without a lot of glitz. The service was just right, not intrusive but fast and the guys were funny and laid back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Marvelous EveningPanebVIPDined on 10/23/2014Great for sunset dinner. Parking has radically changed since our last visit, free valet parking, difficult to find parking now. I always have to have the clams and my friend did as well. We chose the medium spice, which is hot but no serious burn. The wives opted for a catch of the day option, which both found to be very tasty. The calamari was great, no heavy batter here, light and you can enjoy the taste of the calamari. We had a affagato (ice cream and espresso sundae) and our friends had a Carmel Miranda fruit and Macadamia Nut Ice Cream dessert which is always a winner. For us, Mala and her sister restaurant Honu are MUST visit dining spots whenever we come to Maui. Downside is that is has become a little pricier than in the old days.Special Features:
- Gorgeous Views, Delicious FoodFPepoonVIPDined on 10/18/2014Ma'la has become one of our favorite dining spots in West Maui. It's right on the water in Lahaina, and the views are gorgeous, especially at sunset. It's a small place so be sure to book a reservation. The bar was recently updated and is beautiful - and usually crowded. The food, though, is the real reason to visit Ma'la. Any daily special is always delicious, unique, and perfectly prepared. I always get whatever fish is freshly caught and I have never been disappointed. My husband loves the Kobe-style burger, always juicy, delicious, and perfectly cooked. Service is wonderful, with knowledgeable and friendly staff who go out of their way to make you feel welcome. The wine list is good and wines are fairly priced.Special Features:
- Great brunch locationMauiFunDined on 10/18/2014My sister and I had brunch here and enjoyed sitting by the window and listening to the waves rushing through the black stones making a clacking noise. The food was wonderful as was the mimosa. It was a good way to start the day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bet You Can't Drink Just One. . .OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/15/2014Somehow, sitting directly next to an ocean always makes food taste better. . .at least for me it does! Mala Ocean Tavern was no exception, especially when they rolled back the outdoor roof, and we were sitting on the patio at sunset. Although not off the charts, the food was very good. What was off the charts for me was the ginger martini. . .incredible!!! I knew ahead of time that we would be sitting close to others, but that being said, we were sitting REALLY close to others. Not such a bad thing since we made friends with two really nice ladies who sound like will be new customers for my boyfriend's store in Fullerton. The service was excellent, by the way!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good experienceKosmoKramerDined on 10/15/2014As with many local restaurants in Maui, seating is very very tight. Expect to make friends with whoever is dining next to you as it is crammed very very tight. We had 5:30 reservations, arrived 15 mins early and sat on the "patio" with the roof covering. Shortly before sunset, they retracted the roof and lit the torches. Nice view of the sunset. Good for 2 person dining, not sure I'd want to bring a group of 4 in.Special Features:
- SardinesRobfromHonoluluDined on 10/14/2014They are just packing too many people in here. And the prices have gotten outrageous. I will not return.Special Features:
- Pleasant Lahina seaside experienceTavernandTurtlesDined on 10/14/2014It was very difficult to park but once inside the restaurant has a lovely oceanside view through large open windows. We had hoped to see more than one turtle but they were elusive that day...entres were well appointed & quite tasty...we enjoyed our lunch very much.. Great palce to ocean watch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Dining ExperiencePattiinsurpriseVIPDined on 10/13/2014Our first visit to Mala was a pleasant surprise. Recommended by the Westin, they were spot on with their advice. Annie, our waitress, was friendly and very knowledgable about the menu. The big, fat Greek salad was the best I've ever had as was the ahi. I believe that no matter what you order, you won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as I remembersh5345Dined on 10/12/2014Was a bit disappointed in Mala Ocean Tavern this time. We eat there every time go to Maui and, in the past, it has been great. This time we felt the food was not as good as in the past. Yukon gold mashed potatoes were extremely watery - tasted almost like they were instant. The place is very busy and hard to get in. For us, it's not worth the hassle anymore.Special Features:
- Our favorite little secretFoodiesforlife1Dined on 10/11/2014We go to Maui every year and since the first time we ate at Mala we were hooked. We love the amazing food, drinks and courteous staff. The seafood is so fresh and the servings are more than enough to share. The ahi bruschetta and oyster shooters are over the top. The seafood pappardelle dish is filled with the freshest seafood and delicious fresh made pasta. My husband always gets the seared ahi and says it's the best he's had. We highly recommend Mala to everyone we meet when we are in Maui.Special Features:
- Obviously don't need our businessOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014Celebrating our 15th wedding anniversary we made this reservation weeks in advance before flying sixteen hours to Maui. I made note in the reservation that we were celebrating, took an early 5:30pm time and asked to be seated directly on the water.We arrived at 5:15pm. I reviewed our request with the man seating us, but he said "sorry, that is what we have. Ironically there was a table open by the water, but I guess someone else more important was holding it. They could have cared less! We left, went to Kimo's were they were willing to serve us the dinner menu at a waterfront table in the bar and it was wonderful!!!!! We have a lot of friends who travel here often. We made sure to tell them to take their business somewhere other than Mala!Special Features:
- Unique and enjoyableGr8tdineVIPDined on 10/10/2014Right on ocean so would recommend booking at time o view sunset. Unique menu with great food and friendly staffSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed the mealFunInMauiDined on 10/10/2014We went to Mala for an early dinner. Loved the open patio with ocean view! Friends had recommended the Bruschetta. Loved the Bruschetta! The table also had the Kobe burger, Fish sandwich, Clams and Hoisin Ribs. All these dishes were very good and I would recommend them. Table shared the macaroni and cheese because we'd seen it recommended but we didn't care for that dish. Service was a bit more formal/stiff in the beginning but once we mentioned the restaurant had been recommended to us, the waiter loosened up a bit :). We enjoyed our time overall and I'd recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceLocalFoodiesDined on 10/9/2014The staff is awesome....food is incredible. A gem in Lahaina.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as alwaysFoxIsleGeorgeDined on 10/4/2014Never have had bad experience at a Mark Allman restaurant. Creative cuisine, quality ingredients, attractive presentation, wonderful tastes.Special Features:
- Best Seafood in LahainaGaryRVIPDined on 10/3/2014Fresh fish, local foods and excellent preparation make Mala a local gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot!KikireganDined on 10/3/2014Mala is the perfect spot to bring out of town guests. Being right on the water the ambiance is perfect and the food is incredible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing! We love this gem! great!!!SandieBeach55Dined on 10/1/2014We love Mala's & visit there every time we are in Maui!! The view on their deck is fantastic, service wonderful, & food outstanding! It is a small gem in Maui & we will return every year we are here!! Love it!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top 5 best meals of my lifeEatalotDined on 9/30/2014Everything at Mala was amazing! We showed up half an hour early for our reservation and instead of making us wait they sat us right away at a perfectly romantic table for two right on the water front! We got started with a half order of the seared ahi bruschetta which was TO DIE FOR! My only regret is that we didn't get a full order of it! We also got a Caesar salad to share that was delicious. For dinner my wife had the sautéed fresh market fish, the fish was fresh and cooked perfectly and the olowalu tomato cream sauce it was in was incredible. I had the asian fried chicken which was honestly one of my favorite chicken dishes I have ever tried in my entire life! Delicious, lightly fried, and the coconut mojo sauce had me doing backflips!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A win win!AZTXDined on 9/30/2014We loved Mala! Despite a bumpy beginning waiting for the host/hostess for almost 20 minutes and then greeted with no apology. After that it was smooth sailing. Amazing server, food was incredible, and love love love that it's small! See you next time Mala!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, not greatBigDaddyEDined on 9/26/2014Food was good and delicious, but the overall experience was not really worth the price. Cramped seating in a little shack-like diner by the sea. There are better choices.Special Features:
- Local fare, great locationPommytravellerDined on 9/24/2014A fantastic spot on the beach just a little north of the main Lahaina strip. The place is part beach shack, part smaller informal restaurant. It's relaxed, friendly, but with good quality food which is locally sourced where possible. Not all tables have ocean views, so be sure to request if this is what you need. Not cheap exactly, but you get what you pay for in my opinion. The tuna (ahi) tartare was fantastic. Our children (5 and 7) were easily catered for.Special Features:
- RedlandsDined on 9/23/2014Outstanding recommendation from a local friend. It became our favorite restaurant during our visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Crowded but excellentBayAreaNativeVIPDined on 9/22/2014This was a first time review. Although the tables are quite close together, the experience is great. After all everyone is on vacation and when they roll back the shades and awning at sunset the view is magnificent; you are immediately on the beach. Fresh seafood with twists such as Caprese salad on a toasted nut bread. One of the few Lahaina spots with espresso drinks. Wine a little pricey but a very nice selection. Our server was excellent and water service frequent but unobtrusive. Would return and work hard to get a seaside table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/21/2014Took a couple of friends there for a post-Maui Marathon brunch (or more like late lunch). Ordered the goat cheese/ham omelette and it was great. Since we were so late, we were able to get a table right on the water side - a lifesaver on a hot Lahaina afternoon.Special Features:
- Go to Honu insteadMauiJaneDined on 9/21/2014I had the flatbread pizza at both Mala and Honu and Honu was fantastic while Mala was bland. The overall experience at Mala was also somewhat bland.Special Features:
- WonderfultrioofgalsDined on 9/19/2014This little gem, right on the water in Lahina is wonderful. The view is unparalleled and the menu is extensive featuring loads of fresh items catering to vegan , gluten free, and carnivorous diets. The service is fun and personal. Parking is easy with either free valet parking or the Safeway lot just across the street. This is a must if you are looking for a great dining spot on Maui.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food = amazingjustmeVIPDined on 9/19/2014Dinner & drinks were shockingly good. Best meal we had during our week on the island. Our server was great and helped provide wonderful recommendations. I guess only downside was the bartender seemed to be having a rough day. Took him 15 min to ask our drink order (with only 10 patrons at the bar) and in the 25 min we sat there he broke a wine glass & dropped a liquor bottle on the floor. Probably just an off day. Highly recommend this place!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A fabulous experienceDiningProVIPDined on 9/18/2014A great location -right on the water, open air dining listening to the waves and smelling the ocean...exceptional sunset views. Seriously, a balony sandwich would taste terrific under these conditions. But no worries -the food is even better than the location. Don't miss the burrata appetizer...creamy cheese, amazingly fresh tomato slices....mmmmm. High end dining, creative flavor pairings, super fresh fish. A stand-out restaurant in a crowded field.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- location, locationniknak311VIPDined on 9/18/2014Great location - right on the water. So close that when the waves hit the shoreline you get a good spritz now and then. Kobe burger was excellent and the Greek salad was the best I have ever had. Far enough away from the craziness of Front Street with better food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MockizDined on 9/16/2014The bartender Lisa was a show on her own, she was worth the money alone. The food was one of the best meals we had in Hawaii, all tough they forgot to bring us the oysters we orderd for starters. The best thing about the place was the atmosphere and the view of the Maui sunset. Would defenitly recomend.Special Features:
- Perfect Maui DiningmarinagirlVIPDined on 9/16/2014This was a perfect evening. The atmosphere was hip but really beautiful. Great view of the harbor. The service was exceptional. The food was perfect both in presentation and taste. We came back twice and ate at Honu because Mala was so wonderful. We were celebrating our wedding anniversary with a just married couple. It was festive and special and the best meal we have ever had in Maui and we come to Maui every year.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/15/2014Excellent food and service. The view is outstanding. I would return again just for the view. Don't be in a hurry, though. We waited an hour for our table with a reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Okay, but not great valueJEVBDined on 9/10/2014While nothing was really bad about our dinner at Mala, we thought the food and service were only "good" while the prices should have bought us a great dinning experience. Our server could have been more helpful with our food restrictions (gluten, soy, dairy, eggs). The tables are closer together than we like. Location is awesome.
- Always a treat!FoodieGirlDined on 9/9/2014LOVED every moment! The food was amazing, I had the gado gado salad and my friends had fresh fish and flatbread pizza. And Mark sent out a yummy cheese pupu, amazing. I also tried a vodka mojito this time that was sooo refreshing and fun. Mark you are my favorite Chef and one of my favorite people on the island, thank you so much for spreading the aloha and being so cool. :) Our waiter was awesome too, I'm sorry I forgot his name.... yikes! He was great!Special Features:
- No reservation.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/9/2014Showed up and the restaurant had no record of the reservation we made through Open Table. Luckily they were able to seat us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Give it a tryBBBeniciaVIPDined on 9/9/2014Was very pleased. Fantastic, enjoyed hospitality from minute we walked in, sat at bar, then table. Next time will try sister restaurant next door.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good food!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/7/2014Best restaurant we ate dinner in Hawaii! Very soft meat, good vegetables and i loved the chips as starter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food with glorious viewkhadzDined on 9/3/2014My friend and I went to Mala Ocean Tavern on our first night in Maui. The food was wonderful and delicious (while expensive, we opted for more casual sandwhich fare) and the dessert and drinks were amazing. We both ordered their award-winning Mai Tai's and it was definitely worth it. What was truly astounding was the ocean view. Even though we were inside and there were other tables between us and the view, the sunset was spectacular. Definitely a must visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.