Mala Ocean Tavern - Lahaina
1307 Front St.
Lahaina, HI 96761Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $31 to $50
Mala Ocean Tavern - Lahaina
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.malaoceantavern.com/
- Phone: 808 667-9394x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 9:00am - 3:00pm;
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 4:30pm - 9:00pm
Happy Hour: Daily: 3:00pm - 4:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Pan-Asian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Mark Ellman
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: sorry we do not do any catering
A word from Mala Ocean Tavern - Lahaina
Thank you for choosing Mala Ocean Tavern - Lahaina. Should your plans change, please let us know. We look forward to serving you. Mala is a very small restaurant and we do our best to accommodate everyone. That being said, all seating is on a FIRST come FIRST serve basis with reservations having a priority.We DO NOT RESERVE TABLES ON THE LANAI.Once you Arrive we will Immediately put you on a Priority Wait List for the lanai seating.Thank you and we look forward to seeing you at Mala .Continued
We have FREE valet parking nightly.
We have FREE valet parking nightly.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeighborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Mala Ocean Tavern - Lahaina - Best Restaurants in Lahaina ›
Mala Ocean Tavern - Lahaina reviews from OpenTable diners
150 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (120)great for outdoor dining (101)fit for foodies (76)romantic (66)special occasion (58)neighborhood gem (54)great for lunch (32)hot spot (30)great for brunch (25)notable wine list (22)kid-friendly (21)vibrant bar scene (17)good for groups (12)late-night find (7)Show More
- Never lets us downMadmegDined on 8/31/2014We love Mala. Sunday was our 42nd wedding anniversary. We had a superb dinner. Everything was prepared and presented to perfection. The server was sweet and attentive without intruding. We couldn't have asked for a nicer dining experience in a more perfect spot. Thank you Mala. See you again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great little place on the waterGaryVIPDined on 8/27/2014Recommended by friend From outside wouldn't think would be so great Fabulous food. Great service. Try to get table outside Definitely should go there if near LehainaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great setting. That is it.Hare1Dined on 8/25/2014Great location, beautiful ocean view. Very ordinary food. Good drinks. Good service.Special Features:
- West side favIslandgirlVIPDined on 8/24/2014Mala has not disappointed me yet. Food is consistently good and staff is friendly with Aloha. A great little spot that's a little off the busy tourist area and literally right next to the ocean - you might get sprayed on very high tide. One of my favorites on the West side.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a treatLaQuintaresidentDined on 8/23/2014We have been to this restaurant several times and never been disappointed can't beat the view dynes is amazing !!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food on the beachstanDined on 8/22/2014This is an upscale, but casual place. The food is a little unique, but not a lot unique. It is pricey, but the view, especially at sunset, is stunning. After the sun sets, they convert the enclosed porch into an open-air dining room. Can't beat it.Special Features:
- AmazingFoodDined on 8/20/2014Everything was top notch. Amazing food and good sizes portions. Some of the best food and overall expierance on the islandSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, View, and Sea Turtles!MauiBrideDined on 8/17/2014Mala is one of our favorites whenever we visit the island. The Sunday brunch selections and (early) happy hour selections are varied and tasty. The service is always friendly and helpful. Check out when high tide is and schedule a visit then. Request one of the tables by the ocean (you can do this on the OpenTable reservation page). At high tide, the sea turtles come in to feed off the algae on the rocks. They put on a spectacular show at no extra cost!Special Features:
- Don't Miss Mala Ocean TavernbirthdaygirlDined on 8/13/2014The food at Mala Ocean Tavern is consistently fresh and delicious. We come to Maui for two weeks every summer and always visit this restaurant at least once, and sometimes twice. One favorite is the roasted beet salad, made with fresh Kula greens and goat cheese. There are always offerings of fresh fish with creative sauces and garnishes. There are also vegetarian offerings, as well as chicken and meat choices on the dinner menu. Each entree is prepared by the kitchen to order, so that it is possible for the kitchen to accommodate food preferences. There are various choices of mixed drinks, as well as a good wine list. And be certain to save room for dessert!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a winnersandiegovisitorDined on 8/11/2014I've been to Maui three times; I've been to Mala each trip. It's a small restaurant right on the water, tables are crowded together. The fish is always perfectly fresh, service is attentive, and we simply enjoy it. It's pretty pricy though, so know that going in. This last visit we finally got a table outside; that's the way to do it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mala never disappointsDenverTravelerVIPDined on 8/11/2014Great food and service. Not the restaurants fault but an otherwise nice meal disturbed by an out of control 2 year old. After a half hour even dad had enough and took her outside.Special Features:
- Fabulous restaurant!Two4dinnerDined on 8/10/2014We loved the food, the serving staff and the ocean views! You won't want to miss this restaurant when your in Maui.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Nice AtmosphereBarbwDined on 8/9/2014The food was outstanding and the Russian Mule was a fabulous hand crafted cocktail. Everything was perfect, including the sunset.Special Features:
- Very Poor serviceKomoGirlDined on 8/8/2014Our reservations were for one day after Hurricane Iselle (about 24hrs after it hit). Since there was absolutely no damage at all in the area of Lahaina or surrounding area and because everyone had been out on the beach all day, we Jason reason to believe that the restaurant would not be open. But when we arrived, it was closed... AND they didn't call us to cancel the reservations... Every restaurant within one mile around was open except them. The very LEAST the could have done was call to let us know. That's poor service and not very caring of the customer.
- Great Join but priced like the RitzRJDJVIPDined on 8/6/2014If everything were 50% less I would give it 5 stars as a great local joint to get fresh food at a reasonable price but this place has basically the same pricing as the other top rated restaurants in the area without any upscale feel.
- Service needs improvementCAnanDined on 8/6/2014Served wrong food and waiter was snide about the mix-up. Food was quite good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small placeChasBDined on 7/31/2014Great Oceanside location, just really small with limited ocean side tables. We had 7:30 res but not seated until 8. Food was good, service was fantastic. Pricey!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best places in Maui10yranniversaryplaceDined on 7/31/2014The food was spectacular! Ahi Bruchetta was recommended by our server and it was absolutely out of this world. We had Monchong fish done "spicy" and it was soooo tasty! This was the perfect little place to have our 10 yr anniversary dinner.Special Features:
- Over ratedValleyDined on 7/29/2014Food and wine prices are almost as high as Pacific'o and Mama's Fish house and you CAN not compare those to your restaurant!!!
- Food not as good as the viewPlanOgirlVIPDined on 7/27/2014Great place for beach dinning, if you are lucky enough to score a table outside. It helps if you have a reservation. We did and we sat outside next to the bug zapper. The ambience was wonderful, except for the periodic zap zap. Despite the pest control noise, the outdoor setting was preferred over the food. Our food was bland, under sauced, and overlooked. I am willing to write off my poor food experience as them having an off night or me ordering the wrong thing. My last visit to Maui I went to Mala three times because the food was so good, this time around I will leave it at one and hope my next visit to Maui and Mala proves this visit wrong.Special Features:
- Husbands birthday dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014We got there early and the hostess was very friendly, she said she could seat us at a table outside after it had been cleaned up. Then, the manager came up and said no, that he was saving it for another party. (Note: when I made the reservation in advance, you are able to say if it's for a special occasion and I mentioned it was for my husbands birthday) and it didn't seemed to make any difference to the restaurant at all. We were then told we could be seated in about 20 mins. and they let us sit at the bar to wait...The manager ended up seating us at a table inside where it is much louder, and the ambiance is not fit for a special occasion. Food was mediocre and service was just "ok"...they never mentioned my husbands birthday at all.Special Features:
- Mala - overratedUNCDallasVIPDined on 7/26/2014Certainly lots of hype. The ambience and service were the true stars. The food was very good, but for foodies don't buy into the hype. It's not major city high-end quality. And pricey. The experience was very good, but the food didn't come close to meeting our expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ocean side lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/24/2014Went there for a late lunch. Had oyster shooters, ceviche, fish chowder and ahi flatbread and everything was outstanding. We were seated at the open window and had a great view of the sea turtles.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average food superior viewDiningwithkidsVIPDined on 7/22/2014As a family of 4 dining at Mala, I was shocked to leant, only upon arrival, that the kids meal were upwards of $14 EACH for basically bar food. Granted the servings of fries were ample, but had I known that, I would have used the $40 for the babysitter instead so my husband and I could enjoy the gorgeous view. Food was overpriced and bland at best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- StunningGabeRocksYeahDined on 7/21/2014Come at sunset. A once in a lifetime experience. Service and food was also top notch.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/20/2014My party of 6 sat outside during sunset time. Food, service and ambience were all fantastic.Special Features:
- Sunday Brunch Hot SpotKIGMAUIVIPDined on 7/20/2014A neighborhood gem is right! Perfect spot if you can nab a seat in the bar by the window, or on the lanai for Sunday Brunch! Great huevos rancheros to start your day off right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dinner in the water!NavywifeDined on 7/19/2014Would LOVE to give five stars because even though its a very casual place, it's amazing. Service was top notch. Food was incredible all except for the calamari which was too corn mealy and over salted. Had we just skipped the calamari it would have been a PERFECT meal. Started with the potato soup with the roasted jalapeño peppers and I honestly could have eaten five more bowls. The Mahi Mahi ceviche was amazing! Lovely evening!Special Features:
- Best meal in Lahaina/KaanapaliJerseyBillDined on 7/18/2014We made reservations at Mala based on a recommendation from a friend from NJ. We most likely would not have found this place on our own. The food was the best that we've had while vacationing in Maui and Kauai. I would highly recommend Mala to anyone who appreciates a great meal, with great service, and is not looking for a "white tablecloth" atmosphere. Great view, right on the water in Lahaina.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!Knuge0421Dined on 7/18/2014We were recommended to Mala and I'm glad we went. Easily one of the best lunch meals we had while we were in Lahina. It is a must to go to if your looking to get away from the big tourist crowd.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great place.kimosabiVIPDined on 7/17/2014For lunch, you cannot find a better restaurant in Maui. A spectacular view and a good food with a good service make it a fantastic choice for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seen better daysPSPersVIPDined on 7/16/2014Mala has been a favorite on Maui for years...and after this visit it has fallen to the bottom of the list. Unattentive service and snotty attitude. Blah food that was tasteless over cooked served cold and poorly presented... The wow factor the food had in years past is gone!
- Amazing view & outstanding eats!ManhattanVIPDined on 7/15/2014You are dining right on the water. While the restaurant is nothing fancy, the food & the view are to die for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/13/2014Wonderful! We have been several times but this was the first time for brunch. Food was great as was the service. We had the omelet of the day, and the Turkish Bloody Mary was spicy but really good! And you can't beat the atmosphere. Thanks for a nice, relaxing afternoon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely restaurantJenniferDined on 7/10/2014Visited this restaurant twice during our 2 week stay in Maui. Food is delicious, and the view is to die for! On our last night, we were seated right by the water just after sunset..so amazing. The fish sandwich is highly recommended! Also fun to watch the turtles in the water right next to the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dr Connie11drconnie11VIPDined on 7/10/2014We had an amazing lunch here---table right beside the water watching the sea turtles as we dined on our ahi. We loved it so much we returned for dinner (and cancelled our reservations at Mama's Fish House that night) since it was close to our house in Kaanapali! The signature fried fish was incredible! It is a MUST dining experience for anyone who comes to Lahaina!Special Features:
- dissapointmentjordanconnDined on 7/9/2014came recommended but we were not enthused. on vacation we went to 8 high-end restaurants in west maui. this was our least favorite. good - unique food. poor - cramped dining, high price, felt rushed from server, nothing special overall - would not go back.Special Features:
- One of best 10 restaurants on MauiMauiCatFoodieDined on 7/7/2014The food is fabulous. The ambience is lucious, right on the ocean, with huge green sea turtles just off shore. (The OpenTable spell check does not understand "ambience" or "lucious" -- FIX IT!)Special Features:
- bcp1306VIPDined on 7/3/2014We went to Avalon in Maui years ago, which was run by the same group, and expected the dame quality and uniqueness at MALA. What we found was stale food with too much happening on the plate. Flavors were indistinguishable and the food was just so-so. Obviously, the view is the selling point because it was not the food. Overrated and overdone. Don't believe the article in Wine Spectator...MALA is not that good. Go to pineapple grill instead... better service, better food, less cost.Special Features:
- Always a good mealNYer1969VIPDined on 7/2/2014We go to Ma'La every time we visit Maui. It is family run and service is very good. Fresh Seafood and water front dining, can't beat that. Good for kids too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.