Mala Ocean Tavern - Lahaina
1307 Front St.
Lahaina, HI 96761Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $31 to $50
Mala Ocean Tavern - Lahaina
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.malaoceantavern.com/
- Phone: 808 667-9394x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 9:00am - 3:00pm;
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 4:30pm - 9:00pm
Happy Hour: Daily: 3:00pm - 4:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Pan-Asian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Mark Ellman
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: sorry we do not do any catering
A word from Mala Ocean Tavern - Lahaina
Thank you for choosing Mala Ocean Tavern - Lahaina. Should your plans change, please let us know. We look forward to serving you. Mala is a very small restaurant and we do our best to accommodate everyone. That being said, all seating is on a FIRST come FIRST serve basis with reservations having a priority.We DO NOT RESERVE TABLES ON THE LANAI.Once you Arrive we will Immediately put you on a Priority Wait List for the lanai seating.Thank you and we look forward to seeing you at Mala .Continued
We have FREE valet parking nightly.
We have FREE valet parking nightly.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Mala Ocean Tavern - Lahaina - Best Restaurants in Lahaina ›
Mala Ocean Tavern - Lahaina reviews from OpenTable diners
142 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (109)great for outdoor dining (97)fit for foodies (77)neighborhood gem (61)romantic (57)special occasion (47)great for lunch (35)hot spot (27)great for brunch (25)kid-friendly (20)vibrant bar scene (13)notable wine list (12)good for groups (8)late-night find (6)Show More
- Good, not greatBigDaddyEDined on 9/26/2014Food was good and delicious, but the overall experience was not really worth the price. Cramped seating in a little shack-like diner by the sea. There are better choices.Special Features:
- Local fare, great locationPommytravellerDined on 9/24/2014A fantastic spot on the beach just a little north of the main Lahaina strip. The place is part beach shack, part smaller informal restaurant. It's relaxed, friendly, but with good quality food which is locally sourced where possible. Not all tables have ocean views, so be sure to request if this is what you need. Not cheap exactly, but you get what you pay for in my opinion. The tuna (ahi) tartare was fantastic. Our children (5 and 7) were easily catered for.Special Features:
- RedlandsDined on 9/23/2014Outstanding recommendation from a local friend. It became our favorite restaurant during our visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Crowded but excellentBayAreaNativeVIPDined on 9/22/2014This was a first time review. Although the tables are quite close together, the experience is great. After all everyone is on vacation and when they roll back the shades and awning at sunset the view is magnificent; you are immediately on the beach. Fresh seafood with twists such as Caprese salad on a toasted nut bread. One of the few Lahaina spots with espresso drinks. Wine a little pricey but a very nice selection. Our server was excellent and water service frequent but unobtrusive. Would return and work hard to get a seaside table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/21/2014Took a couple of friends there for a post-Maui Marathon brunch (or more like late lunch). Ordered the goat cheese/ham omelette and it was great. Since we were so late, we were able to get a table right on the water side - a lifesaver on a hot Lahaina afternoon.Special Features:
- Go to Honu insteadMauiJaneDined on 9/21/2014I had the flatbread pizza at both Mala and Honu and Honu was fantastic while Mala was bland. The overall experience at Mala was also somewhat bland.Special Features:
- WonderfultrioofgalsDined on 9/19/2014This little gem, right on the water in Lahina is wonderful. The view is unparalleled and the menu is extensive featuring loads of fresh items catering to vegan , gluten free, and carnivorous diets. The service is fun and personal. Parking is easy with either free valet parking or the Safeway lot just across the street. This is a must if you are looking for a great dining spot on Maui.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food = amazingjustmeVIPDined on 9/19/2014Dinner & drinks were shockingly good. Best meal we had during our week on the island. Our server was great and helped provide wonderful recommendations. I guess only downside was the bartender seemed to be having a rough day. Took him 15 min to ask our drink order (with only 10 patrons at the bar) and in the 25 min we sat there he broke a wine glass & dropped a liquor bottle on the floor. Probably just an off day. Highly recommend this place!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A fabulous experienceDiningProVIPDined on 9/18/2014A great location -right on the water, open air dining listening to the waves and smelling the ocean...exceptional sunset views. Seriously, a balony sandwich would taste terrific under these conditions. But no worries -the food is even better than the location. Don't miss the burrata appetizer...creamy cheese, amazingly fresh tomato slices....mmmmm. High end dining, creative flavor pairings, super fresh fish. A stand-out restaurant in a crowded field.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- location, locationniknak311VIPDined on 9/18/2014Great location - right on the water. So close that when the waves hit the shoreline you get a good spritz now and then. Kobe burger was excellent and the Greek salad was the best I have ever had. Far enough away from the craziness of Front Street with better food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/15/2014Excellent food and service. The view is outstanding. I would return again just for the view. Don't be in a hurry, though. We waited an hour for our table with a reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Okay, but not great valueJEVBDined on 9/10/2014While nothing was really bad about our dinner at Mala, we thought the food and service were only "good" while the prices should have bought us a great dinning experience. Our server could have been more helpful with our food restrictions (gluten, soy, dairy, eggs). The tables are closer together than we like. Location is awesome.
- Always a treat!FoodieGirlDined on 9/9/2014LOVED every moment! The food was amazing, I had the gado gado salad and my friends had fresh fish and flatbread pizza. And Mark sent out a yummy cheese pupu, amazing. I also tried a vodka mojito this time that was sooo refreshing and fun. Mark you are my favorite Chef and one of my favorite people on the island, thank you so much for spreading the aloha and being so cool. :) Our waiter was awesome too, I'm sorry I forgot his name.... yikes! He was great!Special Features:
- No reservation.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/9/2014Showed up and the restaurant had no record of the reservation we made through Open Table. Luckily they were able to seat us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Give it a tryBBBeniciaVIPDined on 9/9/2014Was very pleased. Fantastic, enjoyed hospitality from minute we walked in, sat at bar, then table. Next time will try sister restaurant next door.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good food!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/7/2014Best restaurant we ate dinner in Hawaii! Very soft meat, good vegetables and i loved the chips as starter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food with glorious viewkhadzDined on 9/3/2014My friend and I went to Mala Ocean Tavern on our first night in Maui. The food was wonderful and delicious (while expensive, we opted for more casual sandwhich fare) and the dessert and drinks were amazing. We both ordered their award-winning Mai Tai's and it was definitely worth it. What was truly astounding was the ocean view. Even though we were inside and there were other tables between us and the view, the sunset was spectacular. Definitely a must visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodLuvrfoodluvrVIPDined on 9/3/2014Ate here several times. Always good food, very consistent. The views are outstanding. On our last visit, the host made a special effort to get us the table we wanted which was very much appreciated. Will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never lets us downMadmegDined on 8/31/2014We love Mala. Sunday was our 42nd wedding anniversary. We had a superb dinner. Everything was prepared and presented to perfection. The server was sweet and attentive without intruding. We couldn't have asked for a nicer dining experience in a more perfect spot. Thank you Mala. See you again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and locationalkoiv24VIPDined on 8/30/2014Restaurant is right next to the ocean, can't ask for a better location. Even got a light splash we were sitting so close! Good food as well!Special Features:
- MalaTomDoriDined on 8/30/2014We sat at a table right against the ocean and even were slightly splashed by a wave once and a while. Very good house wine. The flavors and preparation of all the dishes were outstanding. We have become real fans of Mark Ellman and his team.Special Features:
- Great little place on the waterGaryVIPDined on 8/27/2014Recommended by friend From outside wouldn't think would be so great Fabulous food. Great service. Try to get table outside Definitely should go there if near LehainaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great setting. That is it.Hare1Dined on 8/25/2014Great location, beautiful ocean view. Very ordinary food. Good drinks. Good service.Special Features:
- West side favIslandgirlVIPDined on 8/24/2014Mala has not disappointed me yet. Food is consistently good and staff is friendly with Aloha. A great little spot that's a little off the busy tourist area and literally right next to the ocean - you might get sprayed on very high tide. One of my favorites on the West side.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a treatLaQuintaresidentDined on 8/23/2014We have been to this restaurant several times and never been disappointed can't beat the view dynes is amazing !!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food on the beachstanDined on 8/22/2014This is an upscale, but casual place. The food is a little unique, but not a lot unique. It is pricey, but the view, especially at sunset, is stunning. After the sun sets, they convert the enclosed porch into an open-air dining room. Can't beat it.Special Features:
- AmazingFoodDined on 8/20/2014Everything was top notch. Amazing food and good sizes portions. Some of the best food and overall expierance on the islandSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, View, and Sea Turtles!MauiBrideDined on 8/17/2014Mala is one of our favorites whenever we visit the island. The Sunday brunch selections and (early) happy hour selections are varied and tasty. The service is always friendly and helpful. Check out when high tide is and schedule a visit then. Request one of the tables by the ocean (you can do this on the OpenTable reservation page). At high tide, the sea turtles come in to feed off the algae on the rocks. They put on a spectacular show at no extra cost!Special Features:
- Don't Miss Mala Ocean TavernbirthdaygirlDined on 8/13/2014The food at Mala Ocean Tavern is consistently fresh and delicious. We come to Maui for two weeks every summer and always visit this restaurant at least once, and sometimes twice. One favorite is the roasted beet salad, made with fresh Kula greens and goat cheese. There are always offerings of fresh fish with creative sauces and garnishes. There are also vegetarian offerings, as well as chicken and meat choices on the dinner menu. Each entree is prepared by the kitchen to order, so that it is possible for the kitchen to accommodate food preferences. There are various choices of mixed drinks, as well as a good wine list. And be certain to save room for dessert!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a winnersandiegovisitorDined on 8/11/2014I've been to Maui three times; I've been to Mala each trip. It's a small restaurant right on the water, tables are crowded together. The fish is always perfectly fresh, service is attentive, and we simply enjoy it. It's pretty pricy though, so know that going in. This last visit we finally got a table outside; that's the way to do it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mala never disappointsDenverTravelerVIPDined on 8/11/2014Great food and service. Not the restaurants fault but an otherwise nice meal disturbed by an out of control 2 year old. After a half hour even dad had enough and took her outside.Special Features:
- Fabulous restaurant!Two4dinnerDined on 8/10/2014We loved the food, the serving staff and the ocean views! You won't want to miss this restaurant when your in Maui.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Nice AtmosphereBarbwDined on 8/9/2014The food was outstanding and the Russian Mule was a fabulous hand crafted cocktail. Everything was perfect, including the sunset.Special Features:
- Very Poor serviceKomoGirlDined on 8/8/2014Our reservations were for one day after Hurricane Iselle (about 24hrs after it hit). Since there was absolutely no damage at all in the area of Lahaina or surrounding area and because everyone had been out on the beach all day, we Jason reason to believe that the restaurant would not be open. But when we arrived, it was closed... AND they didn't call us to cancel the reservations... Every restaurant within one mile around was open except them. The very LEAST the could have done was call to let us know. That's poor service and not very caring of the customer.
- Great Join but priced like the RitzRJDJVIPDined on 8/6/2014If everything were 50% less I would give it 5 stars as a great local joint to get fresh food at a reasonable price but this place has basically the same pricing as the other top rated restaurants in the area without any upscale feel.
- Service needs improvementCAnanDined on 8/6/2014Served wrong food and waiter was snide about the mix-up. Food was quite good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small placeChasBDined on 7/31/2014Great Oceanside location, just really small with limited ocean side tables. We had 7:30 res but not seated until 8. Food was good, service was fantastic. Pricey!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best places in Maui10yranniversaryplaceDined on 7/31/2014The food was spectacular! Ahi Bruchetta was recommended by our server and it was absolutely out of this world. We had Monchong fish done "spicy" and it was soooo tasty! This was the perfect little place to have our 10 yr anniversary dinner.Special Features:
- Over ratedValleyDined on 7/29/2014Food and wine prices are almost as high as Pacific'o and Mama's Fish house and you CAN not compare those to your restaurant!!!
- Food not as good as the viewPlanOgirlVIPDined on 7/27/2014Great place for beach dinning, if you are lucky enough to score a table outside. It helps if you have a reservation. We did and we sat outside next to the bug zapper. The ambience was wonderful, except for the periodic zap zap. Despite the pest control noise, the outdoor setting was preferred over the food. Our food was bland, under sauced, and overlooked. I am willing to write off my poor food experience as them having an off night or me ordering the wrong thing. My last visit to Maui I went to Mala three times because the food was so good, this time around I will leave it at one and hope my next visit to Maui and Mala proves this visit wrong.Special Features: