Bal Harbour Shops 9700 Collins Ave
Bal Harbour, FL 33154Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.makoto-restaurant.com/
- Phone: 3058648600x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Daily:11:30am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm- 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Japanese
- Executive Chef: Makoto Okuwa
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Smoking Area (bar only), Wheelchair Access
- Cross Street: 96th St
- Public Transit: 96th St and Collins Ave
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet is offered in front of the Collins Avenue side of the restaurant for $10/hour, $25 for VIP service. Self-parking is also available in the Shops lots and garage for $1.50/hour with validation.
A word from Makoto
Stephen Starr's newest Japanese restaurant, Makoto is located in the prestigious Bal Harbour Shops. Makoto features a modern Japanese menu including sushi bar selections, modern Japanese dishes, and bincho charcoal robata. A hand-crafted beverage program focused on sake compliments the cuisine. The dining room and sushi bar seating are available by reservation. Outdoor seating is available upon arrival.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerJapanese
Makoto - Best Restaurants in Miami ›
Makoto reviews from OpenTable diners
172 reviews since June 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (94)hot spot (72)great for outdoor dining (63)special occasion (61)great for lunch (53)neighborhood gem (50)good for groups (47)romantic (38)kid-friendly (17)late-night find (14)great for brunch (9)notable wine list (8)vibrant bar scene (6)scenic view (4)Show More
- Great food!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/21/2014Makato hit it out if the park with great taste and perfect service. Must try to crispy rice cake with tuna. Will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Rush ActAlwarzezpVIPDined on 10/13/2014I can have a chance to finish my salad before the next dishes thought of coming out became one after another we can have five minutes to sit and relax I feel like we are being rushed through our mealSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Makoto!caheVIPDined on 10/13/2014This is one of my favorite restaurants! The food is always fresh, and the service is great. I think the drinks are outstanding (I like the old margarita, and now the grilled pineapple margarita!! Mojitos are also excellent) I highly recommend this great spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service SlippingPenendenVIPDined on 10/12/2014The food is as good as ever but the service continues to slip. Food was spilled and items knocked over upon delivery and "clean up" was the damp cloth which merely smeared the mess across the table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jennyc390Jennyc390VIPDined on 10/6/2014Dine at this restaurant a lot and were there at the beginning. Good as always but since the new chef changed the short rib robata it has lost some points. It has lost the tenderness and taste and on this occasion was quite fatty which when the pieces are small means it is mostly fat. Unfortunately our rice did not come till after we had almost finished. Keep on top of your serverSpecial Features:
- Best sushi ever had on the globe!LalaDined on 10/5/2014Absolutely phenomenal sushi, freshest fish ever. Of all sushi I have had across the nation (SanFran included), it was the best. Other dishes also excellent. Great service and beautiful ambiance. Look forward to next visit - should be rated best sushi in S. Florida...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- greatdaniellecDined on 10/4/2014I think i have reviewed makoto 3 times. Its always amazing except for the fact that they changed one of my favorite items on the menu (short rib robata)Special Features:
- Great japanesse fusionRaulVIPDined on 10/3/2014One of the best Japanesse restaurants in South Florida. Makoto delivers consistently great food over and over again. From the salads to the Kobe beef and fantastic chicken here you can not go wrong with any dishes. More than just sushi, in the top luxury shopping center in Miami.Special Features:
- Pleasantly Surprised, Recommended!YummyD73Dined on 10/3/2014Though the restaurant was busy, Open Table got us seated right away. Since this place is pretty happening, the noise level was a little above normal. Very much in the sharing style, Japanese tapas style. Good dishes for sharing for two. House salad, Kani salad, Spicy Tuna on Crispy Rice were delicious. Plates come out as they are ready. We shared about six plates. Everything was well prepared and super tasty. Great service, and constant check-ins were impressive. Be prepared to spend a little extra at this place.Special Features:
- A step above the restLive4FoodDined on 10/2/2014If you want some basic sushi and rolls go to your neighborhood sushi place probably within a block of where you live. But, if you want amazing Japanese food and unique selections of very fresh fish Makoto is the place. Throw darts at the menu - your not going to find a bad dish. Watermelon Ceviche, sautéed air spinach, rock shrimp tempura, Makoto house salad, short ribs, frosty kobe fried rice, miso sea bass, grouper tempura, and you must try the sushi sampler. Really, I could go on - go, explore, enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Changing Menu..WalketedVIPDined on 10/1/2014Usually when a dish does not sell you have to switch it for another one. That's not the case with the short rib robata. Aside from its popularity since the restaurant opened, it was one of my always-on-the-table dishes and now it's gone. I hope the chef finds out his decision was a very bad one before I switch to another Japanese restaurant.Special Features:
- Average JapaneseOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/28/2014It's meant to be an upmarket Japanese. But in a city like Miami, with a limited Asian cuisine proposition, this is just an average restaurant, which by en large disapoitned the high expectations on it. Food is good, but would it get out of my way to come over here... I don't think soSpecial Features:
- Great First TimeSpicyTunaDined on 9/21/2014I've never been fond of sushi, but my best friend wanted me to try, so we looked up the best sushi in Miami and just went with Makoto! Turns out the list was very right to put Makoto at #1. All of the sushi tasted fresh, the spicy tuna appetizer is a must. The staff were all friendly and helpful, too.Special Features:
- Great for lunch or dinnerCassalsDined on 9/19/2014NY strip, rice, shrimps, everything in the Menu is awesomeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Japanese food well executedPhilSommelierVIPDined on 9/19/2014I tried Makoto for the Miami Spice lunch with a friend after hearing some good reviews from others. I recommend it. I had the Hamchi Ponzi app, 4 very small but fresh slices, followed by a generous portion of rainbow maki rolls with a frozen cheesecake dessert, just ok on the dessert. My non raw eating friend enjoyed the house salad followed by shor trib tacos I think. There's a good selection of wines by the glass and bottle.Special Features:
- Great Japan FusionMe2013VIPDined on 9/13/2014I dine at Makoto every weekend but sometimes I wish they had a easy menu ! I love sea bass but the size is to small !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always goodfrequentmiamidinerDined on 9/12/2014Makoto always good. Good atmosphere, great service and great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gastimicuVIPDined on 9/11/2014the best restaurant in miami!!! best sushi, good price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best restaurant in S FloridaPauloDined on 9/6/2014I'm a big fan of makoto. The food has an amazing taste. The seabass, the kobe fried rice, the tiger prawns and king crab robata... everything is just unbelievable!!! Forget about the other japanese restaurants. This is the place to be!Special Features:
- good sushi/high priceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/6/2014you'd have to look pretty hard in miami for better sushi than at makoto, but i gave makoto 4 stars rather than 5 because there's still the element of value. given the prices, i think you're getting reasonable value but not great value. i ordered their pricier chef's selection of sushi ($50). it's the same number of pieces as their regular chef's selection ($30), but it comes with fish upgrades, like toro instead of regular tuna. i enjoyed it, but i could not afford to order this often. regarding atmosphere, my wife and i were first seated at a regular table near the front. it was nice and quiet, but a little boring. we asked to be moved to the sushi bar. it was louder and livelier, and i am very glad we did.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'm in love with a tiger prawnNomNomNomDined on 9/5/2014Makoto is absolutely fantastic. Delicious sushi and cooked dishes. Delicious tiger prawn! Two thumbs up!! Very addictive and highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014Very good food! The kobe beef on the stone is superb!! It was a great experience slthough very noisy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CyrusDined on 8/31/2014Japanese eggplant was amazing as was the tuna tartare. Glad I used open table!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and service, but LOUDsep004VIPDined on 8/30/2014We enjoyed the food at Mikoto. Try the tuna pizza... it's unexpectedly delicious. The service was attentive. The restaurant is just so LOUD that we didn't have an enjoyable experience.
- My fav restaurantGourmetVIPDined on 8/28/2014Makoto is one of my favorite restaurants in miami. The food is delicious. The service is out of this world. The place is beautiful. Great location. Highly RecommendedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Miami Spice attemptblueskiesVIPDined on 8/25/2014We went to Makoto to participate in Miami Spice but when we saw the menu, we realized we could order two dishes for less than the Miami Spice meal. Of course, this meant we did not get dessert which we did not want anyway. The waitstaff hovered around us so as soon as a last bite was taken, the waiter was there to remove the dish. I prefer for dishes to be removed when all are finished. Now about the food - the four dishes we had were delicious and different but sparse. I would almost say that I was still hungry when we left. Our friend ordered the skirt steak on Miami Spice. The meat was 4 ounces which for a man as a main course is not sufficient.Special Features:
- great restaurantronit26Dined on 8/24/2014we will come back ...love the location and looking forward to come back soon with some friend....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent restaurantDelraylouDined on 8/20/2014We had lunch at Makoto during Miami Spice month. Our lunch was excellent and offered very good value. A glance at the "regular" menu suggests it offers excellent value as well. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best japanese foodEmkayayVIPDined on 8/18/2014This is by far my favourite restaurant in Miami. Food is awesome. Service is impeccable. Staff is knowledgeable. a must for any foodie.Special Features:
- FANTASTIC !NoodlesVIPDined on 8/17/2014we went there to try the Miami Spice menu and the food was amazing ! Definately worth trying, great combination of ingredients to make delicious dishes !Special Features:
- Best RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/15/2014Makoto is the best! Food is fabulous...service is impeccable...drinks are delish...scene is great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything we tried was delicious!SealegssDined on 8/13/2014We especially loved the miso sea bass with the crispy kale and their specialty house salad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and serviceAlfredDined on 8/11/2014Excellent food , extensive menu, good ambiance , innovative dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, average serviceTravellerDined on 8/11/2014Our waiter was never around, we had to pour ourself our wine all the time, food was good, but was not explained correctly. Ambiance was a bit noisy, lots of groups in large tables. If you're going for Miami spice dinner menu, I wouldn't order the sushi combination, nothing special about it, but the skirt steak, delicious! And the cheesecake, yummi!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth itPacheeksDined on 8/10/2014We've been to Makoto before, and both times we weren't happy with our experience. This last time, I called to find out about the wait time, at which point the hostess informed me they were completely booked for the night, and we could maybe sit outside with a minimum 45-minute wait. I was a little bummed (I wanted to go for a bday dinner), but as I was browsing their website, I saw there was a reservation option. Plenty of reservations available for the whole night! When we arrived 20 mins later, the place was not full. Not sure why they are turning away customers. The food is mediocre and not worth the price tag, and the workers came off as snobby. Also-took our favorite roll off the menu. Won't be coming back-don't waste your $$$ !!!
- YumRspringflaDined on 8/10/2014Third time back. Can't wait for the next time, soon Best cowboy ribeye ever. Dry aged. Flavorful. Perfectly cooked Outstanding sushi Delicious roasted bronzinoSpecial Features:
- Great sushi!KatieDined on 8/8/2014Lively atmosphere, great service, and wonderful fresh sushi. Was recommended by a friend and so happy we went. Great location in the Bar Harbour Shops so can stroll around before or after dinner. Great selection of drinks and sake. Knowledgable staff. Great people watching place. Dessert was delicious too.Special Features:
- good japanese in miamiOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/7/2014the food was good, the evening enjoyable except for one incident with the hostess. we made a reservation for 7:30. upon arriving, the restaurant was mostly empty. when i protested as to the seating in front of the kitchen and asked her to change the table, then gestured toward a corner table and asked if we could sit there, she told us that they saved those tables for parties of 5. Fine, she changed our table and then 5 minutes later, proceeded to seat a party of 4 at the table next to us which was the precise table i had asked her to seat us at. Moral of the story: it is always better to tell the truth than to lie. If someone had requested that specific table, let us know. the incident left a sour note to an otherwise nice dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Best JapaneseGourmetVIPDined on 8/5/2014I love Makoto!! it is one of my favorite places in Miami! I go at least twice a month….. The food is so delicious and the service is outstanding….. Highly recommended!!!!Special Features:
- never fails...EmkayayVIPDined on 8/4/2014Best Japanese food in Miami. A must. All food ordered was outstanding. I always make sure to book Makoto a few times when I am in Miami. When I am not in Miami I crave Makoto Food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.