Bal Harbour Shops 9700 Collins Ave
Bal Harbour, FL 33154Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.makoto-restaurant.com/
- Phone: 3058648600x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Daily:11:30am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm- 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Japanese
- Executive Chef: Makoto Okuwa
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Smoking Area (bar only), Wheelchair Access
- Cross Street: 96th St
- Public Transit: 96th St and Collins Ave
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet is offered in front of the Collins Avenue side of the restaurant for $10/hour, $25 for VIP service. Self-parking is also available in the Shops lots and garage for $1.50/hour with validation.
A word from Makoto
Stephen Starr's newest Japanese restaurant, Makoto is located in the prestigious Bal Harbour Shops. Makoto features a modern Japanese menu including sushi bar selections, modern Japanese dishes, and bincho charcoal robata. A hand-crafted beverage program focused on sake compliments the cuisine. The dining room and sushi bar seating are available by reservation. Outdoor seating is available upon arrival.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerJapanese
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Makoto - Best Restaurants in Miami ›
Makoto reviews from OpenTable diners
158 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (84)special occasion (66)great for outdoor dining (65)hot spot (62)great for lunch (46)good for groups (45)neighborhood gem (41)romantic (38)kid-friendly (17)late-night find (15)great for brunch (12)notable wine list (9)scenic view (7)vibrant bar scene (6)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014Very good food! The kobe beef on the stone is superb!! It was a great experience slthough very noisy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/31/2014Japanese eggplant was amazing as was the tuna tartare. Glad I used open table!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and service, but LOUDsep004VIPDined on 8/30/2014We enjoyed the food at Mikoto. Try the tuna pizza... it's unexpectedly delicious. The service was attentive. The restaurant is just so LOUD that we didn't have an enjoyable experience.
- My fav restaurantGourmetVIPDined on 8/28/2014Makoto is one of my favorite restaurants in miami. The food is delicious. The service is out of this world. The place is beautiful. Great location. Highly RecommendedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Miami Spice attemptblueskiesVIPDined on 8/25/2014We went to Makoto to participate in Miami Spice but when we saw the menu, we realized we could order two dishes for less than the Miami Spice meal. Of course, this meant we did not get dessert which we did not want anyway. The waitstaff hovered around us so as soon as a last bite was taken, the waiter was there to remove the dish. I prefer for dishes to be removed when all are finished. Now about the food - the four dishes we had were delicious and different but sparse. I would almost say that I was still hungry when we left. Our friend ordered the skirt steak on Miami Spice. The meat was 4 ounces which for a man as a main course is not sufficient.Special Features:
- great restaurantronit26Dined on 8/24/2014we will come back ...love the location and looking forward to come back soon with some friend....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/20/2014We had lunch at Makoto during Miami Spice month. Our lunch was excellent and offered very good value. A glance at the "regular" menu suggests it offers excellent value as well. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best japanese foodEmkayayDined on 8/18/2014This is by far my favourite restaurant in Miami. Food is awesome. Service is impeccable. Staff is knowledgeable. a must for any foodie.Special Features:
- FANTASTIC !NoodlesVIPDined on 8/17/2014we went there to try the Miami Spice menu and the food was amazing ! Definately worth trying, great combination of ingredients to make delicious dishes !Special Features:
- Best RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/15/2014Makoto is the best! Food is fabulous...service is impeccable...drinks are delish...scene is great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything we tried was delicious!SealegssDined on 8/13/2014We especially loved the miso sea bass with the crispy kale and their specialty house salad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and serviceAlfredDined on 8/11/2014Excellent food , extensive menu, good ambiance , innovative dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, average serviceTravellerDined on 8/11/2014Our waiter was never around, we had to pour ourself our wine all the time, food was good, but was not explained correctly. Ambiance was a bit noisy, lots of groups in large tables. If you're going for Miami spice dinner menu, I wouldn't order the sushi combination, nothing special about it, but the skirt steak, delicious! And the cheesecake, yummi!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth itPacheeksDined on 8/10/2014We've been to Makoto before, and both times we weren't happy with our experience. This last time, I called to find out about the wait time, at which point the hostess informed me they were completely booked for the night, and we could maybe sit outside with a minimum 45-minute wait. I was a little bummed (I wanted to go for a bday dinner), but as I was browsing their website, I saw there was a reservation option. Plenty of reservations available for the whole night! When we arrived 20 mins later, the place was not full. Not sure why they are turning away customers. The food is mediocre and not worth the price tag, and the workers came off as snobby. Also-took our favorite roll off the menu. Won't be coming back-don't waste your $$$ !!!
- YumRspringflaDined on 8/10/2014Third time back. Can't wait for the next time, soon Best cowboy ribeye ever. Dry aged. Flavorful. Perfectly cooked Outstanding sushi Delicious roasted bronzinoSpecial Features:
- Great sushi!KatieDined on 8/8/2014Lively atmosphere, great service, and wonderful fresh sushi. Was recommended by a friend and so happy we went. Great location in the Bar Harbour Shops so can stroll around before or after dinner. Great selection of drinks and sake. Knowledgable staff. Great people watching place. Dessert was delicious too.Special Features:
- good japanese in miamiOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/7/2014the food was good, the evening enjoyable except for one incident with the hostess. we made a reservation for 7:30. upon arriving, the restaurant was mostly empty. when i protested as to the seating in front of the kitchen and asked her to change the table, then gestured toward a corner table and asked if we could sit there, she told us that they saved those tables for parties of 5. Fine, she changed our table and then 5 minutes later, proceeded to seat a party of 4 at the table next to us which was the precise table i had asked her to seat us at. Moral of the story: it is always better to tell the truth than to lie. If someone had requested that specific table, let us know. the incident left a sour note to an otherwise nice dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Best JapaneseGourmetVIPDined on 8/5/2014I love Makoto!! it is one of my favorite places in Miami! I go at least twice a month….. The food is so delicious and the service is outstanding….. Highly recommended!!!!Special Features:
- never fails...EmkayayDined on 8/4/2014Best Japanese food in Miami. A must. All food ordered was outstanding. I always make sure to book Makoto a few times when I am in Miami. When I am not in Miami I crave Makoto Food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good SushiRickMeisterDined on 7/31/2014Sushi was very good but not the best I've had by a long shot. Tuna tataki salad was best item we tried. Spicy tuna and spicy hamachi rolls were also good but lacked a bit of flavour. Rolls are expensive but you get 8 good size pieces. Waiter was very good and service was excellent. Only complaint is that restaurant was freezing. We requested that they turn down the air conditioning which they did.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- well taken care of at MakotoXcellentdinerDined on 7/31/2014Fabulous food and the best sushi!!! EVERYTHING was fresh and so well prepared and for the first time I tried a vegan veggie roll wow you won me over on that one. I am from California and we have some of the worlds best sushi but I must say that our entire group unanimously agreed we would love Makoto in Orange County California! The crab salad is just right as was the udon dish and the spicy edamame were fabulous although we could have gone for more spice!! Keep it fresh and real Makoto we will always come back for your authentic sushi whenever we are in Miami!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- maria elenaOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/29/2014we had an excelent lunch. food is good, service good and the location at Ball Harbor is always great. Its great for antoher option.Special Features:
- Not as good as first time I wentDimitriMTLVIPDined on 7/25/2014I didn't think the food was as good as the first time. Plates were hit or miss. Cocktails were good.
- OutstandingTeddyDined on 7/23/2014We enjoyed our dinner at Makoto extremely well. The food was specially good; the service great and the ambience was OK. We have been there for several times before and we intend to return every chance we get.Special Features:
- Best spot on Miami EachjvtennisDined on 7/20/2014Makoto has been our favorite restaurant for two years now. Food, service and ambiance and consistently amazing. Their tuna crispy rice roll is addictiveSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very goodGretaDined on 7/19/2014Nothing else to say good food good service great placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- makota is one of our faves.foodVIPDined on 7/17/2014However, we believe the seviche and sesame noodle recipes have been changed are more in line with other restaurants. We liked them better before. But the short rib udon was wonderful.Special Features:
- FoodVIPDined on 7/13/2014I love ,i live in Brasil , when i came here i always eat até makotoSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentAL38VIPDined on 7/12/2014Food delicious as always Service excellent Love this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodjacobDined on 7/9/2014this restaurant never fails to deliver, great food good service .Special Features:
- Poor ValueNotaFanDined on 7/9/2014Food good, service great. Ambiance just OK and music out of character. Concept of each dish being 2 small "sharing" portions is clever but portion too small and overpriced.We were still hungary after 5 platesSpecial Features:
- Our Favorite SpotjfmcaDined on 7/7/2014My husband and I come here all the time. LOVE IT. Absolutely our favorite spot.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/5/2014To start with, the reception was friendly and accommodating. We were greeted at our table right away by our waiter. He was friendly and explained everything we asked. The food came in a timely manor. We found our choices to be delicious but considerably smaller than we would have liked. The whole experience was positive overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best sushi in south FloridaSamsfeelingoodDined on 7/4/2014Most authentic sushi in south Florida. Stellar service and staff, even better fish !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jennyc390Jennyc390VIPDined on 7/3/2014I love this restaurant; i love the food, the location and the fact that they remember that we go often, not just because we use open table. However above all I love the lychee martinis, but particularly with Raoul making them, if he is there. On two occasions recently, knowing he was on the bar, I have asked that he make them for me. On both occasions I was assured that he had when I knew that he hadn't. Firstly because it did not taste the same, and the glass was not full to capacity, but also because the whole time I was waiting for it to arrive at my table Raoul was in the kitchen waiting for a take out order!!! Most people go to a restaurant again and again because they want to repeat an experience. Not so these two times!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always good.a couple of glitchestruscicaDined on 7/2/2014I have eaten at makoto since it's opening about 20 or so times.it is always good. menu does alter certain items(even good ones from time to time and never reappearing, example the skirt steak on hot stone on original menu,was the most affordable steak and delicious.Never to be heard of again.Now its expense kobe beef, generally not worth the price.The way this rest and others by the same owner,the food comes out not in any order from appetizers to entrées.it simply comes when ready.In theory its terrific, in actuality if you r eating your salad and you main course come b4 your small appetizers or robabto grill, food gets cold and the table overcrowded with too much food at once. I have given this rest a good review,but it needs rethinking.Special Features:
- Amazing Special Date LocationOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/30/2014While the prices may be a little off putting, it was well worth it. Everything my fiance and I had was mouth watering, from drinks to dessert. It is definitely a new date night location, and is a place not to be missed.Special Features:
- Perfect every timeKatsumotoVIPDined on 6/29/2014The mark of a great restaurant is its capacity to deliver great food and service every time you go, and Makoto has been doing just that over the last few years.Special Features:
- overpriced for average foodDavidBDined on 6/27/2014Not bad, but this resturant has relatively high prices for sushi which provided only average taste and portion sizes. Noise level became enough of an issue that we were having to yell to hear each other. The real crab used in the sushi which was noted in several reviews on other sites was tasteless. I would go elsewhere for sushi in the future, as I do not think the food taste / portions justify the price level.Special Features:
- Nothing specialABmiaDined on 6/23/2014The restaurant design is quite bad.. Inside smells like fried food .. The small outdoor area inside the mall is cute but the back outdoor area is in the middle of a parking lot ??!?