Mako's American Grille
4914 Landis Ave
Sea Isle City, NJ 08243Neighborhood:
Sea Isle City
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Mako's American Grille
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://makosgrille.com/
- Phone: 6092633287x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Sunday: 8:00am - 12:00pm.
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:00am - 5:00pm.
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 11:00am - 10:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Ron Leider
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Delivery, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: All events. We provide on premise Chefs, Servers & Bartenders. We cater every size event.
A word from Mako's American Grille
Unique menu items. Fresh and healthy. No fried or frozen food. BYOB. Breakfast, Lunch & Diner. Casual atmosphere. Parking is available in the NJ reality parking after 5:30Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
Mako's American Grille - Best Restaurants in Sea Isle City ›
Mako's American Grille reviews from OpenTable diners
42 reviews since April 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (26)fit for foodies (18)great for outdoor dining (12)special occasion (10)kid-friendly (8)good for groups (8)great for lunch (8)great for brunch (7)romantic (3)hot spot (3)late-night find (1)Show More
- Shark WeekOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/18/2014Our entire group had the Shark Week special, all of our entrees were wonderful! And the staff is great too (shout out to Emily and Ron!). Would definitely recommend.
- DisappointedFoodieFamilyDined on 8/10/2014Read reviews on this restaurant before deciding my family of 4 would try. Maybe it was an off night (it was a Sunday), not at all crowded, but we were not impressed. Our family ordered: Braised Rib (1) over Risotto - my husband said the rib was good but the risotto had absolutely no flavor at all!; Crab Cakes (2) w/ sauteed zucchini - My daughter could not continue eating the crab cakes because every bite had cartilage or shell, the waitress asked if she wanted to take her portion home, she declined; Baked Salmon over asparagus - Salmon was cooked well but the dish was basically average; My other daughter had the spinach and cranberry salad, she said it was good. Not what we were expecting from all the nice reviews.
- Awesome Place!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/6/2014Friendly service, very accomdating chef (we mixed and match a special to make our own special). Great food. Simply a super find in SIC!Special Features:
- Excellent!EheldDined on 8/5/2014As always this restaurant delivers! Food is very good and the service was excellent!Special Features:
- Food tasty but....OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/4/2014Food itself was good, however the portions for the price could be larger. Also, no soup or salad choice is included, as well as no choice on side dishes. On most dishes no starch was included. My teenage son was still hungry when we left. Either more inclusions should be offered or the price of entrees should be lowered. Overall:ok.
- Excellent food and service.mbrig56Dined on 8/2/2014My only disappointment was with my appetizer which was tomatoe stack with buffalo mozzerella and balsamic. Given that Jersey Tomatoes are so plentiful and delicious in this area during the summer months, this dish would have been much tastier.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect mealLuvtoeatgoodfoodDined on 7/21/2014This place serves fresh quality food that is usually only found in better restaurants in larger cities. For an appetizer my wife and I split the mussels in red sauce which were fresh, clean and so tasty we finished all the sauce with the bread. We then split a delicious spinach, strawberry and goat cheese salad that was ample for two. For the main course we each had a delicious signature blackened Mako which contrasted nicely with the accompanying Granny Smith apples. For dessert we split the tiramisu which was light and a perfect finish for a great meal. This is a BYOB so don't forget your favorite wine. There should be a waiting line even during the weekdays!Special Features:
- needs more ambienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/21/2014Needs white table clothes and more ambience to justify the cost. Nice people, good food. Spent $90 and had no desire to stay and linger. Could get more for my money elsewhere. Not romantic enough.
- Friendly Seashore find!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/12/2014It was a last min. reserve since all other restaurants were booked. Had the blackened Mako, (first time eating Jaws) lol but loved it. Delish!! Our waitress (in fact all the staff) were extremely friendly, polite and well attentive to our table. We parked next door (free) we ate outside as it was a nice cool breeze. FYI: It's BYOB! The we took a stroll about a block away was a little walk way area where some shops (open during the day) and an ice cream place and a beach bar called Carousel. I will definitely dine there again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Presentation!boobooDined on 7/12/2014Fresh food, good presentation. No frills BYOB with excellent food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/11/2014There is no other place in or near Sea Isle City, NJ that can compare with Mako. Our dinner was wonderful, the service was superb- friendly and efficient. To get this quality and caliber you would normally have to go to Cape May. This restaurant's menu rivals Cape May.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and service were excellentClipperDined on 6/27/2014I would recommend to Open Table to add to the description that a place is BYOB..I would have liked to have a glass of wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FrankDined on 5/30/2014Third time we have been there. It is small but this last time there was a large group who were very noisy and the noise traveled in the setting of this restaurant. The food was very good and adequateportions and a good presentation. Not a big change in variety from the previous visits and it was fairly expensive for two.Special Features:
- Delicious BreakfastFoodie512VIPDined on 5/25/2014Great food, friendly service. Interesting breakfast dishes. Not a huge selection but good choices. Everything is fresh, not canned or frozen. The cannoli blueberry stuffed pancakes with crumbled cannoli shell were incredible! Service is fast and very friendly as well as accommodating. We shared some dishes and they divided it for us in the kitchen without us even asking.The owner came out to talk to us about the food and local activities more than once. Actually, he is very involved in the front of the cafe as well as behind the scenes. Would like to try lunch or dinner there sometime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Continuing to evolveEverySatNightVIPDined on 5/24/2014Mako's continues to evolve as a Sea Isle Restaurant. The reservation was honored as soon we arrived. The servers could not have been more attentive and friendly + we didn't feel rushed. These comments may seem like table stakes but are not a given with shore dining. The food was a mixed review. The crab cakes had too much filling and shrimp was over-spiced. On the positive, the caprese salad was fresh and vibrant. The tilapia was well prepared + the shrimp with gorgonzola was just right. Overall a positive experience and we will backI would recommend this to a friend.
- vinceDined on 5/23/2014Great new restaurant....Will make it part of the regular circuit...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We'll Be Back!!!restaurantroverDined on 5/23/2014No one in my family particularly likes fish, but surprisingly, Mako's was able to convert us! My husband absolutely loved the signature mako dish, my son gobbled up every bite of the night's special "fish trio", my daughter-in-law, who is a VERY particular eater, raved about the talapia, and I was quite satisfied with the shrimp and linguini dish. It has always been difficult pleasing everyone in my family when we try different restaurants, but Mako's seemed to impress everyone.Special Features:
- Excellent!EheldDined on 5/21/2014Our food was delicious! Service was friendly and there was just the right amount of time between courses. We very much enjoyed our meal.Special Features:
- Sea Isle's newest GemfishtacoDined on 5/11/2014What a great place for breakfast, lunch and dinner! Mako’s atmosphere is casual, comfortable and friendly. The menu is innovative, diverse and delicious. Kudos to owners Brian and Ron! I love this place! Open a little over a year, Mako’s should be a favorite destination before long.Special Features:
- very accomodatingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014We went to mother's day brunch at Mako's. We had 14 in our party including 4 children (3 in high chairs). The team was extremely accomodating and very pleasant. The food was good too. I would recommend this place to families and groups.Special Features:
- New FIndOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/11/2014This is our new to go to place in sea Isle city, Nj... We love the sens We a breakfast sandwich with avocado. IT is amazing..Food is fresh and so unique. We even chose to go for Mothers day. The chef here has quite a talent for his menu, and many healthy items that taste so good. I now have to try dinner which I'm sure is delish...If you havent yet, try it here BYOBSpecial Features:
- Great hidden gem!SnapChewDined on 5/11/2014Took my family here for Mother's Day and enjoyed the brunch, but next time I'm ordering from the menu. Just looking at the beautiful plates passing by our table and the look of delight on their faces made me want to try it all! The amaretto french toast, omelette, and tasty potatoes were stars of the buffet. The pancakes were a little tough (hard to keep them warm and fluffy on a buffet). One of the owners personally thanked us for coming in, and he met us outside to shake our hands. Very friendly staff!Special Features:
- The following 44 reviews are from the Mako's American Grille reviews archive.
- Great BrunchMaryDined on 4/20/2014Everything was delicious and the staff couldn't have been more attentive to us. We had 2 small children with us and they loved it.Special Features:
- lovetoeatDined on 4/19/2014If you are looking for great food at reasonable prices then Makos should be on your list. The young owners of this BYOB quite often greet you at the door and recommend the specials for the evening. The menu, while not extensive, offers yummy appetizers, colorful salads and a variety of dinner choices from seafood to meats, tastefully seasoned with some playful twists. Plus the chef is very willing to prepare special requests. The friendly atmosphere hides the fact that the dining room is small and somewhat noisy. Not a place for quiet romance but rather a great choice for lots of fun and delicious food. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This was our first time atluv2dineoutVIPDined on 10/23/2013This was our first time at this restaurant and we were pleasantly surprised. It is a small, intimate restaurant nicely decorated in a tasteful shore motif and very inviting. They serve breakfast, lunch, and dinner and are open year round. Their specialty, Mako, was very good in Taco's and a Wrap and their menu is interesting and well done. Our server was wonderful, very attentive and friendly but not intrusive. We look forward to dining there again when we are in Sea Isle, NJSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice PlaceNoNoSmithDined on 10/1/2013We tried Mako's for the first time last night. This was the off season at Sea Isle City. We made a reservation on open table and our table was ready when we arrived. The waitress was pleasant and the ambience was satisfactory. We were a table of four persons. We started with our wines (BYOB) and we each had a side house salad. We all agreed the salads were fresh and tasty. The main dishes however were okay, nothing to rave about. For example, the shrimp diablo which was a spicy marinara sauce on linquini with four cooked shrimp lying on top. For dessert we had tiramisu. The portion was huge! The dessert was excellent - but not made on site. Overall the meal was accepable so we would dine here again, but it wasn't exceptional.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Get-Away weekendTagsDined on 9/28/2013We decided to try Mako's during our getaway weekend. What a great decision!!!! We couldn't have enjoyed it more. The ambience of the place is very friendly. The service was great. The food was absolutely outstanding. We had the Margarite flatbread appetizer, spinach salad, and we both ordered the Crab Cakes. The portions were large, the food was piping hot, and each course was better than the last. We highly recommend Mako's and will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun Seashore eatery with greatEaglesFanDined on 9/28/2013Fun Seashore eatery with great food reasonably priced. Portions are generous. Quaintness of restaurant allows for people to have fun and get to know each other over a glass of wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Shore ThingPhilMeupDined on 9/14/2013Food was excellent - and plentiful! Rare to find a restaurant that has such large, tasty, and "inventive" salads. Crab cakes were excellent. (Initially, I did not believe I could eat both of them.) Pasta Chicken Alfredo was delicious - and, thankfully, the sauce was somewhat lighter in consistency than is usual in many restaurants. We followed dinner with an equally enjoyable lunch and breakfast. Excellent (and adventurous) sandwiches, and the best omelets we've ever had at the shore. ( The potatoes were a tasty addition. ) And kudos to the service staff. We will certainly be back - often - next summer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Finally, a really good BYOBSICCDined on 9/14/2013Great food. Big city quality and selection. Better than any other byob on island.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UNIQUEkateDined on 9/10/2013I went for a tasting for my daughter's wedding, The chef, Ron Leider, went over the top to ensure us the reception will be a success. The food was delicious. Presentation Superb.. Ron started out with the Tomato basil alfredo, the best I ever encountered. He then served the bacon=bbq wrapped shrimp. and margarita appetizers, I was so impressed with its unique flavor. Next Caesar salad, crisp, fresh and the dressing was delicious. The entrees we chose for our guests Crabcakes and chicken encrused parmesian, roasted veggies. Again presentation at its best. Food was absolutely delicious. I can.t wait for my guests to enjoy Ron's creativity,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great salads, fish was overcookedJkohnDined on 8/30/2013The salads as a starter were delicious, large portion with a lot of goodies in them (walnuts, blue cheese, dried cranberries) that two people shared. After waiting awhile for our food, it came out and the yellowfin tuna was still cold so they reheated it, which then over cooked it. The service was very attentive in general, and they even ended up taking it off the bill. Food in general was good for Sea Isle standards.I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2 for 2FantasticDined on 8/29/2013Have been to Mako's twice. Most importantly the food is terrific. On the 1st visit I had the crab-stuffed tilapia, topped with lobster sauce. it was the best meal I've ever had at the shore. my wife had the crab cakes which were also excellent...creamy, plenty of crab, and crisp on the outside. On the next visit we brought my adult daughter. She had the Tilapia, and agreed with my previous assessment. My wife went back to the crab cakes and was not disappointed as she frequently is when returning for a meal she loved. I had the Chicken breast topped with mozzarella,and drizzled with a balsamic vinegar. It was almost as good as the Tilapia. The balsamic reduction on our caprese salad was memorable. The service on both visits was excellentSpecial Features:
- Great new spotJRemaxDined on 8/29/2013Had dinner at Mako's for the first time and I was quite impressed. After being skeptical about a new restaurant in wife and I decided to give it a try. We hadn't realized this was a BYOB restaurant and we came empty handed. The man then offered us a complementary glass of sangria which was very kind. It was served in a cute little mason jar and my wife just loved it. We had a couple appetizers, one being the mussels served in a white wine sauce was the best I ever had. For dinner my wife had the crab cakes which had no fillers at all. When my wife wasn't looking I stole a bite and I have to say it too was the best I've had. For my dinner I had the "signature" dish, Blackened Mako. I never had a piece of fish like it. It was awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great combination of flavors!lovetoeatDined on 8/28/2013Great combination of flavors! Service was very quick, and servers had lots of personality! The chef personally checked on us as well as the other patrons to make sure everything was perfect! Will make this one of our regular stops!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VERY BLAND CHICKEN!mct1227VIPDined on 8/24/2013This was our second time having dinner here, we were not impressed the first time, so we decided to wait about 5 weeks before trying again, hoping they improved. I felt their menu was very limited. Our garden salad lacked dressing, the chicken could not have been more bland. The servers ignored us and many other tables, never asked it our food was OK after bringing it, she handed us our dinner check and said you did not want desert did you? I was hoping this restaurant worked out their problems since our first visit, it absolutely has not. I can not see going back, there are many great restaurants in the area that we enjoy so much more.
- Trying hard but not too great.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/23/2013Mako's has the worst ambience ever. Bare wood tables. Paper napkins wrapped around silverware. Extremely noisy. Our server was very polite, and accommodating. The menu is nice with a good selection. We shared an enormous spinach salad. When our salad plates were cleared we were told to keep our soiled knives and forks for our entrees. I really hate that! Entrees served piping hot were good. Not a romantic date place.
- Great local gemOCbumDined on 8/21/2013Food was delicious, everything was very well prepared. Prices were reasonable for a good Dinner out at the shore.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Local Sea Isle City SeafoodrichDined on 8/19/2013This is a very nice BYOB restaurant for anyone interested in seafood. It is a not a large menu but there is a good variety and the quality of the food is very good. Atmosphere is simple in keeping with the beach location. Service was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This restaurant was way tooLoudDined on 8/18/2013This restaurant was way too loud. The noise level was very distracting. Food was very average.