Makisu Sushi Lounge and Grill
7150 N carpenter Street
Skokie, IL 60076Neighborhood:
SushiPrice: $30 and under
Makisu Sushi Lounge and Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.makisu-sushi.com/
- Phone: (847) 677-9030
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday-Friday: 11:15am - 2:30pm Saturday 1pm-5pm; Dinner: Monday-Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary Asian, Sushi, Japanese
- Executive Chef: David S. Kim
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Catering for small to large parties available.
A word from Makisu Sushi Lounge and Grill
Makisu Sushi Lounge and Grill offers the highest level Japanese cuisine to the near north suburbs of Chicagoland bordering the prestigious neighborhoods of Skokie, Lincolnwood, Niles, Edgebrook, Sauganash, and Edison Park.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Makisu Sushi Lounge and Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
23 reviews since August 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (13)fit for foodies (10)romantic (8)special occasion (5)good for groups (4)great for lunch (2)notable wine list (1)hot spot (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Good food, very good (outstanding) service,OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/14/2014Fresh ingredients, portions of just the right size, friendly service and pleasant ambiance; this restaurant is a great find!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- "Soft Shell Crab"CJayV2Dined on 11/8/20142nd time visitng, because of the "soft shell crab", nicely presented and never stingy. This goes for all choices on the menu, portions are wonderful. But this 2nd time around, our service was bad. Saw our server 3 times through out the night. (Our waitress was waiting on tables across the restaurant). Oh, and the busboy helped with guest questions or requests, that's a cause for bad service. They shouldn't take orders. Since only 1 star affected this experience, we shall come back and still recommend the restaurant...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food little slowelitepizzadriverDined on 10/25/2014Food was fantastic and elegantly displayed. All of the employees we encountered were very nice and helpful. Only draw back was that the service was on the slow side and it would have been nice to be checked a few times. Would definetly go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodblumetVIPDined on 10/13/2014Great food and presentation. I had the dragon roll and the special fried rice. Amazing.Will come backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice dinner at MakisuBionda1VIPDined on 10/9/2014We decided at the last minute to dine out the other night and went to Makisu, a local Japanese restaurant located at Village Crossing in Skokie. We were immediately seated in a large booth (thank you!) and had a nice young man as our server. He paid attention to all of our requests, especially my allergy to avocado, which often is part of certain maki rolls. He informed the chef that we could not have avocado in our maki, but my husband wanted it on the side, and they graciously accommodated his request. The food was delicious, as always, and we most certainly will return for another wonderful meal.Special Features:
- Excellent food, unfortunate serviceMysteryDined on 10/8/2014The sushi was - as usual - excellent. One of the sushimi items was inedible. It happens... The waitress was clearly a novice, struggled to build rapport, was out of her depth handling wine and the sushimi feedback, and became inattentive as the meal progressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really good.CmgeVIPDined on 9/27/2014Great menu for those who like sushi as well as those who do not.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful Presentation!!!Edna09VIPDined on 8/23/2014Our first dish of appetizers were beautifully arranged, so much that we all starred at the cut fruit in the shape of a fan, swan, etc. The entrées were outstanding!! We were so impressed and asked our server to ask the chef to come to our table. He graciously thanked us and made a special dessert for our table. We will definitely come back again!!!Special Features:
- MakakiloVIPDined on 8/18/2014The food was wonderful as usual and our server Sara was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- beagonvanDined on 8/13/2014Great attention - Nice environment and good serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Little GemMplseatsDined on 8/1/2014Tucked in a mall, was this wonderful sushi spot. Service was terrific and very creative presentation of food, which was super fresh and delicious.Special Features:
- Go to for SushiCabfood67Dined on 8/1/2014Great place. I have been going here for years. Always excellent service! Always excellent food! Good wine selection too. I highly recomment Makisu Sushi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 94 reviews are from the Makisu Sushi Lounge and Grill reviews archive.
- MakakiloVIPDined on 7/14/2014The food was wonderful as usual and our server Jin was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great lunch choiceHeyJudeVIPDined on 6/20/2014This is a relaxing, peaceful restaurant with a large sushi menu. I have the best time when several of my girlfriends go together and we get a sampling to share. They are a little price-y, but you get good value. They do have several lunch specials which are reasonably priced, however we are always tempted away by their main menu selections instead. They are wheelchair accessible.Special Features:
- Excellent neighborhood gemWindyCityBucsFanDined on 6/15/2014I highly recommend the Makisu Sushi Lounge and Grill and I will return soon. Be warned, the place is a hidden gem and easy to drive past. But when you find it, you won’t be disappointed. My son and I shared a great meal as we celebrated his high school graduation and Father's Day. We both ordered the Miso soup which was good, but not great. With that said, the sushi was the headliner of the show and it did NOT disappoint. The Dragon, Tataki Tuna, Spicy Tako and Chicago were all excellent sushi choices! Even the house greens salad and the dressing was very good. Run and don’t walk to this treasure and you won’t be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Plate Presentation!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/19/2014Food was just OKAY- nothing great, but definitely not bad at all; however, the food presentation was great!! Apple & carrot slices made the presentation. And each plate got a candle on it! #InstagramWorthySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good SushionebesbdDined on 5/10/2014Have been looking for good Sushi in this area and this is definitely one of them. The service was great and the food was delicious. I will definitely be coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something for everyoneOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/4/2014Great menu, delcious food. Great for sushi lovers as well non-sushi eaters.Special Features:
- EnjoyEatingVIPDined on 4/27/2014My wife, mother-in-law, and I had a very enjoyable dinner at Makisu last weekend. The food is always good. The atmosphere is pretty, and the service always pleasant. We usually don't have room for dessert, but this visit we tried two of them. The chocolate mousse was especially good. We will certainly be back soon.
- The Makisu Sushi Lounge andEnjoyEatingVIPDined on 4/12/2014The Makisu Sushi Lounge and Grill is always enjoyable. The food is very consistent and good. My wife always orders some form of sushi. I'm not as venturesome a person. I ask for a tempura sampler. We have enjoyed the restaurant 4-5 times in the past year or two. It is a pretty place also. Service is always very pleasant and efficient.Special Features:
- Didn't even make it to a tableKevinDined on 2/14/2014I made a reservation for Valentine's Day at 8pm. We got there to find a mob of people in the lobby. More and more people filed in. I asked around and everyone had 8pm reservations. Clearly they took way too many. No one would tell us what was going on. The hostess wouldn't even look at anyone. It would have been nice for her to make an announcement. We all weren't sure if we were supposed to check in or what was going on. My wife and I waited almost a half an hour and then left. I know big nights like this can be difficult. All someone had to do was let us know what was going on. We're not overly critical people. But that was a disaster. They made me rate the food even though we didn't eat any. But I couldn't give any high marks.
- Food is greatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014We went on Valentine's day, they over reserved and it was a mess. The folks checking people in were clueless about greeting the horde at the front door. We sat ourselves at a bar on the side, and had great food and service. It was really great, except that they were over whelmed, on another day, it would have been a solid four stars. So I give them four, with disclaimers.Special Features:
- Reservation paid off.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014I made a reservation for this place at 7PM on Valentines Day. It was crowded as soon as I got there. Every table was taken and I barley got through the door. I let the hostess know that I had a reservation and I was immediately put in front of everyone else that didn't have a reservation. After waiting there for about 3min for a table to open up I was taken to the table with my Bae and enjoyed my Valentines Day sushi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No respect for customersIlkerCapogluDined on 2/14/2014I understand that they may have overbooked for Valentine's day, but they *should* have hired more servers. It may be acceptable to wait 20 min to get a table (although we had a reservation), but it is utterly unacceptable to wait 30 min at the table without any service. What *really* gets to you, though, is when people who were seated next to you 5 min ago start getting service and you don't. We got up and left at that point. We ended up eating at McDonald's that night, but at least we didn't miss our movie, and the Big Mac wasn't that bad.
- Decent sushi in SkokieMysteryDined on 1/11/2014Was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food here, and have already recommended the place to a couple of friends on the basis of the experience. Reasonably priced wine, some excellent sushi in a pleasant, upscale environment that would have fit in well downtown.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just the right amount of EverythingCozySushiEnviromentDined on 12/31/2013I enjoyed the atmosphere; the restaurant is arranged to perfectly accommodate a couple on a date or a larger party of 6! In addition to, the food served is great with attention to detail and presentation!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- our family's favorite sushigraymalkanDined on 12/31/2013Gem off the beaten path. Amazing fish quality. Super white tuna and yellowtail are always consistently excellent. Free parking too.Special Features:
- Artful PresentationsSteveDined on 12/20/2013We remembered this restaurant since we had eaten there prior to a movie the last time we saw a movie in this area. We left enough time so that we could savor a relaxed dining experience and we were pleased with the artful presentations (an origami like carrot cut to look like a swan was a favorite). The house dressing on the salad was a nice variation on the common ginger/carrot which seemed to include sesame oil and mayo. Salmon sashimi was well-displayed and fresh, with a stylish tower of daikon radish. Maki was also delicious, and when we received the bill we were once again pleasantly surprised. A great find in an unexpected location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and presentation!MarieVIPDined on 11/15/2013Great sushi! And wonderful to have in my neighborhoodSpecial Features:
- Sushi 123Paula1Dined on 10/22/2013Good food, portions could have been larger, but quality excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food is always excellentEnjoyEatingVIPDined on 10/19/2013The food is always excellent at the Makisu Sushi Lounge and Grill. My wife and I enjoy it there very much.Special Features:
- Good timeBillDined on 10/4/2013Food was good and the staff was nice. Some great traditional tastes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Place!NathanDined on 9/28/2013Good food if a little pricey considering. Love that it's only a 5 minute drive from home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Makisu Sushi - a fine choiceMcGrazDined on 9/21/2013Makisu is a fine sushi restaurant. The tuna ceviche appetizer was especially good. The menu selection was fairly standard. The bar menu was above average. Service was excellent and quick (although it was an early dinner for my date and I). Décor was modern and clean. I'd go here again if I found myself in Skokie.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and presentation.SFOXVIPDined on 9/8/2013We made a birthday dinner reservation shortly before arriving, and they still presented my wife with a birthday dessert .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of Our Absolute FavoritesMakakiloVIPDined on 7/29/2013Makisu is one of our very favorite restaurants and we make it a point to go there as much as possible. The ambiance, the food preparation and presentation, and the service are excellent and always consistently so. We love to sit in one of their booths and simply enjoy dining together and relaxing. This year we celebrated two birthdays at Makisu. We have had only very positive experiences and we have and will continue to highly recommend it to all our friends. Thank you, David... and everyone at Makisu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful food. One of mypaletteandeyes4beautyVIPDined on 7/19/2013Beautiful food. One of my strongest recommendations is that the menu is very diificult because there are so many appealing choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went there after a movie inMichaeljm4VIPDined on 6/29/2013Went there after a movie in the shopping center in which it is located and was pleasantly suprised by both the elegant decor of their storefront and nice selection of both sushi type items and kitchen cuisine. Perfect for a date nice with movie and a light meal. Had several maki rolls that were very good, but the Mikasu signature hand roll had sea weed wrap that was too thick, making it very hard to bite through, although the filling was tasty, although a bit bland.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistantly delish!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/20/2013This has been a favorite sushi place of mine for a while now. They always have great food and the waiters are good with recommendations. The rolls are very flavorful- must try the King Kong!Special Features:
- Favorite in Village CrossingyummyVIPDined on 5/7/2013Delicious vegetable fried rice and shrimp tempura. Great friendly service!I would recommend this to a friend.