Makiman Sushi - Center City
1326 Spruce Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $30 and under
Makiman Sushi - Center City
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://makimanonline.com/
- Phone: 2155460180x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday: 3:00pm - 9:30pm, Monday - Thursday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday, Saturday: 3:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Vegetarian, Korean, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Peter Hong
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Cafe, Counter Seating, Delivery, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Cross Street: Juniper
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: There is public street parking as well as parking lots in the area. Park America @ Double Tree
237 South Broad St, Philadelphia, PA
Five Star Parking
1314 Spruce St, Philadelphia, PA
1327 Locust St, Philadelphia, PA
219 South Broad st, Philadelphia, PA
A word from Makiman Sushi - Center City
Makiman Sushi is located in the heart of the Theater District also known as "Avenue of the Arts" at 1326 Spruce Street, just a few steps from Broad and Spruce. Come and enjoy our great selection of sushi rolls from the most common to our famous creative rolls. We also offer a full line of Japanese and Korean Entrees or Appetizers. We have a great ambiance for couples dining or for private parties. We offer indoors or outdoor seating. At Makiman we are here to guarantee customer satisfaction. Established in 1999, we originated in Northeast Philadelphia and by popular demand we have expanded to Center City Philadelphia. With our fresh fish and outstanding presentation, we are confident in obtaining customer fulfillment. Please join us for a relaxing atmosphere, great food and outstanding customer service. Takeout and delivery are also available. BYOBContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Makiman Sushi - Center City reviews from OpenTable diners
18 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (6)good for groups (5)romantic (3)great for lunch (3)fit for foodies (3)great for outdoor dining (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- Philly123Dined on 9/27/2014Great byob spot. My friends and I love coming here to catch up, since the restaurant doesn't rush you out if you want to stay and drink your wine even after the meal has ended. Great quality sushi for reasonable prices too, which doesn't hurt!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Makiman closed for vacationOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/15/2014Booked a reservation at Makiman online and received a confirmation via email. Got to the restaurant and they were closed for vacation. A lot of angry diners were outside that had made reservations as well.
- Unacceptable!!disappointedDined on 8/14/2014I bought a groupon to use here and booked a reservation through their website = which obviously went directly to open table. My husband and my 2 kids and I schlepped all the way to the restaurant to learn they were closed for the WEEK!
- The following 118 reviews are from the Makiman Sushi - Center City reviews archive.
- Hidden SecretOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/10/2014My girlfriend introduced me to Makiman after having been to the original in Northeast Philly. It doesn't seem too appealing on the outside tucked away under a miniature concrete stripmall just off of Broad St, but you should definitely give it a good chance! The sushi is great AND affordable, but the best deal is easily the bento boxes for lunch. They appear much smaller on the menu than they do in person. Each box comes with a salad with ginger dressing, steamed veggies, edamame, shrimp shumai and a pork dumpling, a California roll, and a main item of your choice. By the way, probably the most affordable 1,000-pt table on here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date night sushi affordableVans9240Dined on 5/16/2014We always go when we see a groupon or discount in yelp. Great date night place, affordable good sushi, outside seating is a stretch because it's not the best place for it. Inside intimate and comfortable. Someone tell them to work on their hallway to the bathroom.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Place for SushiJBGrizzVIPDined on 3/13/2014Restaurant was less than a block from where we were staying in Center City, so it was a great location. Service was a little slow at first, but the food was good and well priced. If you're in the mood for sushi, this is a good place to go.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-theater EatsmotherdaughterDined on 2/22/2014When we first walked in for our early reservation, there were only a couple of tables occupied, which allowed the empty furnishings in the rest of the restaurant to shout "cheap" at us. However, once we were seated and had ordered and were joined by our friends, a crowd had amassed, and our waitress told us it was packed every night at 7:45. We were pleased with our food and the friendly service, and even more pleased with the very reasonable bill! Furthermore, we got out in plenty of time to get to our show. I would recommend this restaurant to someone who wants a fun dinner that won't cost too much when you're not planning to linger forever because you're going to a show.Special Features:
- I so wanted to like this place . .OctoberdinerVIPDined on 2/18/2014. . .but the fish was mediocre, having virtually no taste. Everyone who works at Makiman Sushi was pleasant and eager to please, and the menu looked wonderful. We ordered a variety of salads, sashimi, nigiri, and rolls. None of it had any taste! The fish tasted only cold. The flavors in the rolls blended into one mushy overall taste. The fish selection itself was mundane - a standard block of tuna, hamachi, salmon, etc. - and they could barely be distinguished by taste. This is a great location and seemed to have much promise. But we all agreed that nothing had any taste, and we won't be returning.
- Great food, great service, consisteOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/15/2014This is the second time dinning here. We had both sushi and some other entrees and dessert. On both occasions the food was exceptional as was the service. I would highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food for a reasonable pricejarjarDined on 2/14/2014Our first time here. We had an enjoyable meal, the service was excellent, and the price was right. A great informal spot for dinner before the show.
- Decent last resortWhydoineedtoenteranicknamVIPDined on 2/14/2014Not the best sushi, service or atmosphere. But certainly not the worse. Decent last minute choice if you are close to the place and it fits your time frame.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for before or after a showBartman57Dined on 1/19/2014Wanted to find a sushi restaurant before a show, and this place is perfectly located, just off Broad Street. The food was excellent, and the menu extremely creative--if you like sushi, you will find much here to like. The prices are good, and the atmosphere was perfect: quiet, and the interior is just fancy enough without feeling too formal. Our server was friendly and helpful, but oddly did not bring small plates for the appetizers (so I took a couple from a stack on a nearby cabinet). She gave good recommendations, and otherwise that part of the experience was fine. I definitely recommend this casual, nicely-situated restaurant if you're in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/17/2014Came here Friday night at 7 and told the waitress we had to order quick and make a show at the Kimmel at 8. Our food came out quickly and without rushing we were on our way to the theater by 7:25. The staff was friendly, and our food was delicious, Thanks again Makiman!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- had shrimp/veggie tempuramarkDined on 1/7/2014had shrimp/veggie tempura with udon noodle soup. the tempura was soggy, seemed as if it were pre-prepared and not freshly prepared. very disappointing. the soup broth was very tasty.
- BirthdayJfrankeDined on 1/3/2014This restaurant was great. I had a party of 15 people. They were incredibly accommodating. I also brought an outside cake and they were incredibly helpful with holding it and bringing it out for us!!!Special Features:
- New Year's Eve dinnerashlynemeryDined on 12/31/2013Although it was a crazy night the service was great and the food was even better! Did not wait long at all for the food! Very good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent spider rollOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/23/2013The food was good, and relatively inexpensive. There are a lot of creative sushi rolls on the menu that I hadn't seen before at other places. The spider roll that we ordered was particularly good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Inexpensive and Yummy!BeckySVIPDined on 12/21/2013This is one of my favorite BYO sushi places in the city, mainly because it's super inexpensive and it's good! I have been here a few times and have gotten delivery countless times and the sushi is always fresh and delicious! I highly recommend this place for big groups of people and celebrating birthdays and such since it's a BYO. I couldn't say better things about this place! I love it!Special Features:
- Great Sushi!KatieRickDined on 12/3/2013One if the best sushi bars in Philadelphia! My favorites are the MM Naruto Roll and Pete's Roll.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Makiman - excellent!ESG4foodDined on 11/24/2013Great assortment of excellent sushi. Innovative rolls that were delicious. Perfect place fro pre-theater.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place. Incredible sushi,Dave77stateDined on 11/16/2013Great place. Incredible sushi, will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Reliable neighborhood JapanesePhillyGDined on 11/1/2013We were happy with the latest of our frequent lunches. Fresh and flavorful sashimi, well cut and well Priced is the reason we come. While Our soup could have been warmer, the green Tea was hot and good.Special Features:
- Good Sushi, Sub- Par ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/16/2013The food was brought out in a timely manner, and the sushi we ordered was good. The only negative thing I would have to say is the level of service. My friends and I were literally the only table there. We had to continually ask for our waters to be re- filled because our server only came to our table when she dropped off our food. It's a good thing we were the only table in there because we had to call from across the restaurant in order for us to get our check. Then we had to call her again so we could pay. Our server was sitting at the sushi bar on her cell phone CONSTANTLY... IN PLAIN SIGHT!! Overall, I don't think I'll be going back. I could go somewhere else to get the same sushi, for the same price, but get much better service
- Great for "dinner and a show"OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/25/2013Sushi choices were excellent and the steak teriyaki was perfect for a non-sushi diner. So close to the Academy of Music and Kimmel Center that it's a perfect place for a bite before a showSpecial Features:
- Great BYOB and large menuchristinaVIPDined on 7/22/2013This menu has a variety for sushi lovers & non-sushi lovers. They also have a great selection of cooked sushi for the people in your party who are still transitioning to raw sushi. The waitress gave us great recommendations, too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food at good pricesOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/14/2013Been twice both before theater, with very good experience both times. So much better than the typical Asian restaurant. This has nice decor in an attractive Center City location where the food is prepared well and quickly, and the staff is attentive. It has reasonable prices for food, and is a BYOB.I would recommend this to a friend.
- ConsistentPhoodadelphiaVIPDined on 6/8/2013Makiman isn't the flashiest sushi restaurant in town, but it cannot be beat in terms of bang for your buck. I've never had a complaint about the rolls - always fresh and delicious. Makiman has become our go-to when we want to have a tasty meal downtown but do not want to spend $50+. Bring a few bottles of wine and enjoy the energy that the other guest bring and you're all set.
- Regulars...OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/1/2013We enjoy Makiman on a regular basis as our go to sushi place before a show on Broad street. Food is consistently good (fresh) and the servers are always kind and helpful. This is a low key BYOB that is very comfortable...why we are regulars.Special Features:
- Great quality, new options3kidsloveditDined on 5/18/2013We are so tired of the same-old same-old Japanese sushi restaurant options. We ventured out of the suburbs and found this gem! The options were creative and delicious! Our kids ate every bite and the price was very reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent lunchJohnVIPDined on 5/16/2013Sushi was on my list for lunch the day that I dined at Makiman, and I was not disappointed. I had three special rolls, and each was competently made. The fish was fresh, and the rolls were large. I attribute my only gripes to being the first customer of the day: the fish was very cold, the tempura batter that came with one of the rolls seemed warmed rather than fried (...perhaps the oil had not gotten to the right temperature yet?) and the roll that was on the lunch special board was charged full price (...even full price is fair here, so I didn't hassle them for the difference). These were all small things. I'll be back (...though a little bit later next time)!Special Features:
- amazing sushi byobOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/10/2013great food, byob and easy to get a table for a group of 7 on a friday night. perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our food was good, howeverShelbyMaxVIPDined on 4/27/2013Our food was good, however the service was poor and all the servers seemed more interested in talking amongst themselves and to the other employees, and they missed part of our order because they were not paying attention. A very loud drunk party was in the restaurant and it made for a unpleasant experience.
- This is the first time I'vejao922VIPDined on 4/19/2013This is the first time I've eaten in the restaurant as opposed to eating it at home. I must say the taste and quality of the food has been much better in the past.
- Good before theaterbobbieDined on 4/19/2013Great menu with lots of different options and interesting sushi rolls and salads
- extensive menu, great BYOB!wendycVIPDined on 4/8/2013extensive menu, great BYOB! close to all of the theaters, amazing service!!
- Never disappoints. Good freshPhillyGDined on 3/22/2013Never disappoints. Good fresh sashimi, beautifully presented at a fair price.Special Features:
- We were the loud group (11OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/16/2013We were the loud group (11 of us) and they handled us well. Great service. Great food.
- Outstanding Sushitbird1021VIPDined on 3/10/2013Went to Makiman after a show at the Merriam Theater (it's right around the corner). We wanted a late lunch(3PM) and it was the only sushi restaurant in the area (on Open Table) open at that time on a Sunday. Only downfall was that it's BYOB (fine if you're not at the theater beforehand.) We had some salmon nigiri and 3 roles. The specialty role selection is awesome. So many great rolls to pick from. And, the quality of all the fish was outstanding. Also tried an avacodo salad which was very good. My only big complaint was the service. We were the only table (a take out order or two and some people at the sushi bar) - yet the service was very, very slow. We had to ask for almost everything. Would go back for take out :-)
- Great spot! Went with a groupOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/2/2013Great spot! Went with a group for a birthday - the service was great; everyone was very friendly and accomodating. The sushi was awesome. Recommend the Sixers roll and the sweet potato roll...both were delish.Special Features:
- Makiman was great for accommodatingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/22/2013Makiman was great for accommodating my large group of 20 people. The servers were very nice and did their best to get everyone's food out around the same time. I would definitely recommend!Special Features: