Maker's Mark Bourbon House & Lounge-Louisville
446 South Fourth Street
Louisville, KY 40202Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Maker's Mark Bourbon House & Lounge-Louisville
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.makerslounge.com/
- Phone: 5025689009
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chris Elseser & Brian Craig
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Chef's Table will seat up to 20 people. Ambassador Room will seat up to 40 for a sit down dinner, 50-60 for standing appetizers and cocktails.
- Private Party Contact: Marc Dempsey 502-568-9009
- Entertainment: DJs Friday and Saturday 10:00pm - 4:00am
A word from Maker's Mark Bourbon House & Lounge-Louisville
Fourth Street Live! is home to the first ever Maker's Mark Bourbon House and Lounge. Upon entering guests are greeted by custom art-glass created especially for Maker's Mark Bourbon House and Lounge. The 57' long wood topped bar is outlined in marble and back lit with soft white lightning. Maker's Mark Bourbon House and Lounge houses over 70 Kentucky distilled bourbons. Our ambiance and culinary expertise combined offers you the ultimate dining experience. It's the personal touches and attention to detail that will make your Maker's Mark evening one to remember.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Maker's Mark Bourbon House & Lounge-Louisville - Best Restaurants in Downtown Louisville ›
Maker's Mark Bourbon House & Lounge-Louisville reviews from OpenTable diners
20 reviews since June 28, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (7)great for outdoor dining (6)vibrant bar scene (5)romantic (5)good for groups (5)hot spot (4)late-night find (4)fit for foodies (2)neighborhood gem (2)notable wine list (2)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Good Not GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/18/2014We tried the location because we love everything bourbon. I think my fiance described the experience best when he said "they have an identity crisis." The cocktails were great and there is very much a lounge experience. However the menu was small, the "special" incredibly expensive in contrast to the rest of the menu (and not mentioned by our waiter when he pushed it). Overall we couldn't quite tell if we were having drinks in a cocktail lounge or a fine dining experience.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014Waiter and food were excellent. Went there to celebrate our daughters 21st birthday.Special Features:
- clscls51VIPDined on 8/31/2014Saw a few of the negative reviews and received a personal non recommendation. Decided to keep our reservation anyway and give it a try. Restaurant is located in the 4th Street Live area so lots of younger folks and if a band is playing outside it can be noisy on the patio and inside. The drinks and menu could be considered a bit pricey to a crowd looking for pub type prices but I would classify this restaurant as fine dining. The prices for drinks and food were comparable to steakhouses or upscale restaurants in both Cincinnati and Indianapolis. Both my wife and I had shrimp and grits. Sounded interesting and they were fantastic! Those who may have had a bad experience may want to give it another try. Service was fine.
- Great location, ok foodJackDined on 8/30/2014The location is great but the good is just ok. Eating outside is a fun experience on 4th street. The bourbon selection is good.
- Great atmosphere. Fantastic food.MagicDined on 7/25/2014This is a restaurant chosen for a special time. Out of towner just here for an overnight trip. Checked out several restaurants of this quality and decided to select something more unique and not a franchise.Special Features:
- Food was delicious!MamaKoschDined on 7/11/2014This restaurant is in Fourth Street Live where we sat outside and got to listen to the Eric Pasley concert (which was wonderful too). We were celebrating our wedding anniversary with another couple and all 4 entrees we ordered were delicious (I HIGHLY recommend the shrimp & grits!). The drinks were delicious too and our server was great. It was really loud understandably with the concert but the atmosphere was great. I would drive the 4 hours again just to eat the shrimp and grits again!Special Features:
- Overpriced, poor serviceLove2dineoutDined on 7/4/2014We waited 45 minutes for just a cocktail only to find they were out of the bourbon I requested (still appeared on our bill) steak was excellent but sides too salty. My husband's ribs dry. Would not recommend to anyone
- The following 193 reviews are from the Maker's Mark Bourbon House & Lounge-Louisville reviews archive.
- Nice ExperienceLawgoddessVIPDined on 5/25/2014We had a nice dinner at Maker's Mark on a quiet Sunday evening of the Memorial Day week-end. The space is impressive with lots of light wood and an immense bar with the bourbon collection displayed attractively in front of back-lit frosted glass (and we enjoyed some of the great bourbon choices!). The food was good - my husband had a huge port chop that was too much food for a normal person and I had good shrimp and grits - but I was somewhat disappointed that there were not more menu choices. Also, no bread was served with dinner (and that's often my favorite part of the meal). We'd probably visit the restaurant again if we were in downtown Louisville for a couple of nights but it would not be a "destination" restaurant for us.I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisapointingMadmanDined on 5/18/2014Half of the entrees on the menu were unavailable the night we dined. Our server was apologetic, but still. I felt the value was poor for serving to price. Probably won't try this place again.Special Features:
- Gluten freeglutenfreefoodieDined on 5/17/2014When we arrived, our table was ready, including the gluten free menu. This was an actual menu, not just a list of gluten free options. No need to substitute items or wonder if they are safe. The food was delicious, the service superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- slow service502foodieDined on 5/15/2014incredibly slow service, it took us 2 hours to dine for lunch! We had reservations but our server was not attentive which was surprising because when we arrived, we were the only diners there. Soon after we arrived we noticed another party in a separate dining area. It became clear that our orders were not given attention until the group was plated. Once we noticed that the larger group received their food and drinks we assumed our food would come out quickly. It did not, which was disappointing. My husband loves bourbon balls, but we didn't order any for fear of the time. It still took our server 20 minutes to bring our checks and complete our payment transaction. Very disappointing way to spend a birthday lunch.Special Features:
- Good, but priceyDV26Dined on 5/10/2014Our waitress was really sweet and incredibly nice to us. Definitely recommend the goat cheese appetizer, taste was amazing and quite a big portion. Lobster pasta was also delicious, the appearance looks like you may leave hungry after, but it was very fillingSpecial Features:
- Great experience!ashley31Dined on 4/26/2014Great food, wonderful service and fun atmosphere. I will definitely return soon!Special Features:
- Downtown LouisvilleTdckyVIPDined on 4/14/2014Loved the food and service. Great atmosphere too and very long list of bourbons to try. Shrimp and grits were the best I have ever had!Special Features:
- Creepy, twilight zoneBachelorettePartyCrewDined on 4/12/2014Ambiance? None. People? None. Twilight zone- YES. I've never gone to restaurant/bar during dinner hours and no one be in there. Same goes for the next morning at brunch. Not to mention the service was extremely slow, and seemed to be uneducated on their specials and menu. Coming from working in the service industry I've never felt so uncomfortable in my life. There was promise of special offers for the bride to be and we recovered NOTHING! Most definitely a mistake to come back for brunch the next day. Bottomless mimosas and bloodys- JOKE. What a terrible was to spend a night in Louisville. Sorry I booked with you both times. Will not be returning.
- Great chef. Good was awesomeChadwickDined on 4/11/2014Little loud, at the bar but it was thunder weekend and a live band iutiadeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Crazy Bourbon PricesDaveDined on 4/9/2014I chose the Makers Mark for a very important business dinner while staying in town for a convention. The food was excellent, the atmosphere was great, our server, Allen was excellent, but when the bill came and I realized the pricing for the single barrel bourbons that we drank, I was shocked and amazed. While the bourbon was good, it certainly wasn't worth the extreme prices. It was not appropriate to argue the pricing while with the customer, but I intend to call the manager to discuss.Special Features:
- Bourbon HouseKQCintiDined on 3/22/2014Drinks were over priced. Food was ok, missing sauce for ribs. Service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average ExperiencekenniebVIPDined on 3/17/2014While the food and the service were good, I would not say over the top. Our server was friendly when we saw her but we definitely wait to long in between sightings of her. The food was also decent but wasn't too warm and was just okay. The ambiance is always very nice and we were able to eat within the hour we had for lunch.Special Features:
- Good Food & AtmosphereBwooliesDined on 3/16/2014The atmosphere was quiet and nice. My husband and I both ordered ribs and were told that they were out of ribs. My husband then ordered a skirt steak appetizer but was told they were also out of it. I ordered the Shrimp & Grits and my husband ordered the Chicken & Waffles app since they were out of the first two items he wanted. The Shrimp & Grits was definitely delicious, creamy, and good. My husband liked his chicken and waffles as well. I do wish that the waiter would have told us what menu items they were out of right away when we sat down, however he was very attentive and pleasant. I stopped at the restroom upon leaving and when I came out laughing, I said to my husband, "Guess what they are also out of?"Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bourbon trailSteakAficionadoDined on 3/10/2014This was for our last night in Kentucky after finishing the Kentucky Bourbon trail. It was a lovely restaurant that I would recommend to anyone. I will definitely be going back next time I am in townSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/28/2014Food was okay but VERY over priced. The service was the highlight of my experience.Special Features:
- AmazingRachelDined on 2/27/2014Everything about my experience at Maker's Mark was amazing. The atmosphere is laid back and casual. The food was amazing - appetizer, entree, dessert - and the drinks were even better - bourbon flights and bourbon cocktails. I don't know much about bourbon myself so I enjoyed that the cocktail/whisky menu had a multitude of information and interesting facts about bourbon. The waiter was also very helpful in explaining ways to "attack" the bourbon flight. Service was a little slow considering the restaurant was not terribly busy that night, but not so much that it became an issue.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place to Take ClientsBobcat007Dined on 2/18/2014Food, drink and service were all outstanding. The ambience was excellent, and our clients all loved the steaks and bourbon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Nice Night in TownMikeLDined on 1/18/2014My wife and I were in Louisville for a both a business meeting and fun, at the meeting a friend told us about coupons on our website that would give us a $25 discount. So I printed the coupon and made a reservation. The food was outstanding my wife had the shrimp and grits and said it was the best shrip she has evere eaten and we live on the Gulf Coast. I had the Lamb and it was equally good. Would recommend this restaurant in a heartbeat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Disappointing!ScotobyDined on 1/11/2014We had reservations for Saturday Jan. 11/14. My husband and I had appetizers and a drink to celebrate the completion of our Kentucky Bournon Trail passports (We are from Canada). My husband ordered two different bourbons. The waiter brought my husband's bourbons with ice in them - he did not ask my husband how he wanted his bourbon - and my husband always drinks his bourbon neat. And he also failed to mention having them with ice was more expensive. My appetizer (Chicken breast with sweet potato waffle, maple creme fraiche)... fell far below my expectations. The waffle was not sweet potato... it was definitely stale, and seemed to be a frozen store bought type... there was less than a tsp of a whipped butter or something... no flavor.Special Features:
- Theater nightChevas924Dined on 12/20/2013Food very good, drinks and wine very good. Service excellant. Table very small and chairs uncomfortable low. Will request different seating next visit. Note: menu didn't match website.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceDave81230Dined on 12/17/2013Thank you, thank you, thank you to Catherine, our server, at Maker's. Excellent, excellent service, pace and, yes, even the food was great. It's great to come to a place like this, a lounge-y, relaxed atmosphere where the wait staff isn't hawking your every move and trying to push you out the door. I went here for a business dinner with a customer, one on one, and the waitress was perfect, coming to the table when needed and keeping distance and not badgering us every minute. Awesome, awesome place. Thank you againSpecial Features:
- Special occasion locationSundayafternoondinersDined on 12/8/2013Food and drinks were exactly as I expected - this is not the type of place I would normally go, but this was a special occasion. There were 5 of us total, no one was disappointed. For our party, average cost per person was $50 including bourbon drinks and dessert. Food was great, we chose lamb and steak. Just enough food to fill you, not overfill. My likelihood of returning is low, only because of other options to try in the city for comparable price. I would recommend it as an option to others, but myself, I would not place it in my top 10 list for Louisville. For bourbon lovers, this is a place to try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expensive for Quality of FoodYungerDined on 11/30/2013The food was the only drawback. When I spend $100 just to split an app, salad and entrée, it ought to be delicious in my mind. It simply was not. Probably should have had the steak.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just what we were looking for.happinessinkyDined on 11/16/2013We were looking for a girls night out. We live north of Indianapolis so our first inclination was to spend the night in Indy and act like tourists. No hotels were available, much to our dismay. After collaborating with the girls, we decided to travel to Louisville, figured we would have no trouble filling the two hour car ride with conversation. Boy were we pleased. The atmosphere was delightful. Entrees were delectable. And the drinks, just Devine. We all stepped out of our comfort zone to try the Bourbon. Pleasantly surprised by the specialties, they made great sippers and went very well with dinner. Absolutely, we will make the trip back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner and musicChrisDined on 11/9/2013Great ambience and music. Food was expensive but lacked taste. Portions are very small, you will leave still hungry.Special Features:
- Delicious and SpecialLouisvilleVisitorDined on 10/31/2013Great steak! Excellent walking distance from hotel in downtown Louisville, KY. Nice restaurant to get away from the much younger crowd who rather be in fast food places. If you like bourbon, you need to see the selection they have. Drink prices were comparable to other businesses. Food price is a little higher than other nearby restaurants but the steak was delicious and tender. A great place for a quite dinner before you visit the nearby hotspots.Special Features:
- Not good!diner123Dined on 10/30/2013terrible experience at this restaurant - chairs were broken, service was poor, quality of food was poor. The only thing good about it was the bourbon selection.
- A bit disappointedWkendDinerDined on 10/26/2013Seated promptly, served quickly (reservations at 8pm on a Saturday)- almost a bit TOO quickly for service. Entrees came shortly after the salads were served. The food was 'okay' but nothing to brag about. Our waitress seemed a bit bothered or just didn't want to be there. We felt very rushed and it didn't seem that they needed to turn tables for other patrons because there were lots of empty tables. The noise level was good-which we did appreciate as we wanted to be able to talk over our meal (one of the reasons we avoided several of the other establishments on 4th Street). We won't be dining here again - felt it was overpriced for the quality of the food and the atmosphere.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice dinner but a bit overpriced.KellybellyDined on 10/18/2013Nice dinner but a bit overpriced. Would have chosen a different place in hind site. Our server Chris rocked! Good bourbon old fashion.
- Pretentious ServiceLuv2scubagalDined on 10/17/2013I had dined with my teen daughter. Our server was prompt and friendly. Food was ok. We had the fried chicken dinner which was a generous portion. The kale greens could have been warmer and lacked basic seasoning, mashed potatoes were tasty, the half of chicken was difficult to eat as it was served as one piece and we were not given a sharp knife to cut it, and I felt the chicken could have been cooked a bit longer. My dinner was the bbq rubbed salmon with quinoa and roasted cauliflower. Salmon was perfectly prepared but I felt the portion was a bit small, quinoa was delicious, the cauliflower could have been hotter and cooked a bit more. The presentation of the dish appeared bland because the lack of color on the dish.Special Features:
- Classic steakhouse -- goodBordeauxbobVIPDined on 10/4/2013Classic steakhouse -- good red meat and booze. Service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great but not PerfectSpankyDined on 9/30/2013We were entertaining clients that were in town for the ICUEE conference. We chose Makers Mark due to our previous experience there the last time we entertained clients in 2011. Everything was great, the service, the food, atmosphere, etc... However, we had 2 in our party that ordered their first round of specialty beers that were on tap. When the second round came to order, MM were out of the one and then were told their second choice was out as well. The waiter explained that the delivery truck did not make it earlier in the day. All in all, everything else was great, our clients enjoyed the evening with us at the Makers Mark. We will definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As its name suggests, thisLouisvilleBobDined on 9/20/2013As its name suggests, this restaurant is really a bar and lounge and not a fine dining restaurant. The ambience is just that as well. The service was good and attentive; however, the noise level was much too high. Likewise, the menu prices are reflective of a more upscale establishment, and, thus, overpriced.Special Features: