Makan Malaysian Cafe
1859 South Pearl Street
Denver, CO 80210Neighborhood:
MalaysianPrice: $30 and under
Makan Malaysian Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.makanmyfood.com/
- Phone: 7205248093x
- Hours of Operation:
LUNCH: Fri - Sun: 11:30am - 2:30pm;
DINNER: Sun - Mon & Wed - Thurs: 4:00pm - 9:00pm, Fri - Sat: 4:00pm - 9:30pm
HAPPY HOUR: Mon: All Night, Wed - Sun: 4:00pm - 6:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indonesian, Malaysian, Asian
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Cafe, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: We cater! Please contact us at email@example.com with your catering details and for more information.
A word from Makan Malaysian Cafe
Makan Malaysian Cafe is a casual and chic neighborhood restaurant on South Pearl Street, specializing in authentic Malaysian cuisine. We aim to create the most authentic and fresh tasting Malaysian food possible outside of Malaysia. Roti, Laksa, Curry Puff, Nasi Lemak and more! For parties of 5 or more, please call or email us to make a reservation.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Makan Malaysian Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
8 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (8)fit for foodies (6)good for groups (3)great for lunch (3)great for brunch (2)hot spot (2)kid-friendly (2)late-night find (1)romantic (1)special occasion (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/28/2014Excellent food but it took 1 1/2 hrs to get to us!Special Features:
- Great spotHeathereatsVIPDined on 7/14/2014What fun to find Malaysian food in Denver and in the fantastic South Pearl street neighborhood. We had a great time sampling the chef's menu, which I recommend to those who are not familiar wtih this type of food and are interested in trying different flavors. It was delicious, inexpensive and a lot of fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This place is so goodZekethegeekDined on 6/20/2014Never had Malaysian food before. A lot of familiar south east Asian flavors combined in ways that I have never experienced. The Roti Canai is as toasty and flaky a pastry as promised, and the Beef Randang is an Asian version of the classic, moist, tender braised beef dish. And the wine list, while not deep and complex, offers solid in-offensive wines at great prices. This is my newest favoritist place!Special Features:
- The following 12 reviews are from the Makan Malaysian Cafe reviews archive.
- This is NOT Chinese food.OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 5/9/2014Sometimes, when you go to an Asian restaurant and expect to find something different, all you get is typical Chinese restaurant food. Not so here. The menu was varied and I truly felt I had an interesting dinning experience. What a great find. Give it a try if you're looking for something different. The food was delicious and the service was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best Malaysian food in DenvercerienaDined on 5/1/2014The food here is SO good. I would highly recommend Makan to anyone seeking a deviation from the typical Asian cuisine. So happy this restaurant exists!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice ChangeHumanReviewerDined on 3/15/2014I have been to Makan twice and enjoyed myself each time. They don't have a large menu, but they have enough choices to give you a flavor of Malaysian food. I like the place because they provide a different style of Asian food that tastes really good. If you like Asian you will definitely like Makan.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SpicyMissouri67Dined on 3/15/2014We ate here on a Saturday night around 6:30. We did not expect the chairs to be small round stools with no back - uncomfortable after awhile. Perhaps this is a Malayian custom. We sat close to the door and the cold got to us before we left. The food was only average. The egg rolls were the best with very hot sauce to dip in. The entrees we had were pasta with shrimp - spicier than I like with three small shrimp. The other entree was a beef stew - again very spicy, but with better taste than the pasta. We both had some stomach issues later that night - perhaps due to the hot spicy ingredients. Once again, this may be what Malaysian food is supposed to be like. On the brighter side, the service was very good.
- Unique little South Pearl findOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/25/2014While Thai food is available all over town, Malaysian food is different and delicious. This little restaurant has many Malaysian specialties that are rare to find in Denver. For those who enjoy experiencing international food, here is something that you will enjoy. Comfortable, casual, and a good value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid effort, but not spectacular..OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/23/2014We went to Makan for the restaurant week special and thought the food was decent, as well as the service. However, food presentation lacked any flair and the noodles seemed a bit dry. The curry was nice, but again, not transcendental. Our server was very nice, but for a small restaurant that was not too crowded, we had to wait far to long for each course. I would probably go back and try a smaller amount of food, instead of the multi course option. Char Kueh Tiao was a good noodle dish, but the Mee Siam was disappointing. The Kari Ayam was odd tasting and not too pleasant, while the Rendang Daging was good despite not looking like much. Overall, I think Makan would be better as a quick take-out option instead of a $60 dinner for two.
- Good stuff for everyone.KSLTDined on 2/14/2014Food is very tasty & interesting, reminiscent of some Indian and Thai and Chinese dishes, & of "street food" dishes at Linger. Small place, brightly lit, well appointed open kitchen atmosphere on south South Pearl. Wine and beer choices were good and, like the food, reasonably priced. Had a good number of gluten free choices on the menu. There is one big table for 10 or so that would be good for a big group wanting to try a new ethnic style. We will definitely go back, probably with just such a group. Negatives--it was a little chilly inside the restaurant when it was a cold night outside and the chairs at the ten or so tables are backless Asian style stools, which were comfortable but not conducive to relaxing after dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best Malaysian food in DenverAndrewDined on 2/14/2014My wife is from Singapore, and we love coming here to get a taste of her food from growing up. My favorite dish is Char Kueh Tiao, but Nasi Goreng is a close second. We joined the Makan Club (free) for regular discounts and promotional offers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and ServiceKentDined on 2/14/2014We went to Makan Malaysian Cafe for Valentines Day. The food was very good and the service was excellent!Special Features:
- Great find...MalayFirstTimerDined on 12/26/2013My wife and I wanted to try something different so we thought we would give this restaurant a try. Neither of us have had Malay food before so we weren't sure what to expect. We ended up trying their $50 Thursday Date Night Special. We both really enjoyed the good at this quaint little restaurant. The course were all really good. We especially liked the assortment of desserts at the end. The only negative to this restaurant is finding street parking on Pearl was a pain. Otherwise great place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needs some improvementkrsteinbDined on 11/8/2013Menu was heavy on noodles.. The one entree that has a lot of veggies (eggplant) is, according to our server, very spicy so I didn't order it. Appetizers and dessert were tasty, but entrees were disappointing.
- Great and Authentic FoodRecentMalaysianTravelerDined on 10/30/2013I had recently been to Kuala Lumpur and want to try something like the food I had while in KL. The food at Makan is every bit as authentic as some of the places where I ate in KL. The food is spicy, but not over the top, very flavorful, and extremely tasty. The service is very good, but with only one member of the waitstaff present, it is a bit slow at times. Overall, an excellent find in Denver.Special Features: