Majestic Bar & Grill
7141 Wisconsin Ave
Bethesda, MD 20814Neighborhood:
Bethesda / Chevy Chase
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Majestic Bar & Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://themajesticbethesda.com/
- Phone: 3013126043
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday 11am to 1am (dinner served 5pm-10pm), Friday and Saturday 11am - 2am (dinner served 5pm-10:30pm). Pub Fare Menu served all day.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Contemporary European, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Damon Hersh
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wine
- Entertainment: Live Music Friday and Saturday nights... most often a duo or single guitarist... light percussion... fun stuff, good energy. Bring a bunch of people and eat well. drink happy. repeat.
- Special Events: Able to section off restaurant for private gatherings. Call to inquire based on the number in your party.
- Cross Street: next to the Bethesda Woman's Co-op
- Public Transit: Bethesda stop on the Metro Red Line
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Parking free next door after 5pm at the Woman's Co-op. There's a metered parking lot directly in the rear of the restaurant that is very convenient. 4 quarters per hour. Bring a bunch!
A word from Majestic Bar & Grill
Born from an old-style bar and restaurant that dates back to 1925, the grandfather of owner Stefan Lalos created the first "Majestic" in the family up near Pittsburgh. That "old-style" feeling remains in our NEW bar/restaurant on Wisconsin Ave. with free parking next door at the Woman’s Co-op after 5 each evening. Reservations accepted for Lunch, Dinner, and All Day Pub fare. Come cozy up in one of our special booths, at a table or on the back patio at our newly renovated Bethesda eatery. We're receiving exciting reviews on Open Table and Yelp! Music featured Friday (DJ) and Saturday (live acoustic). We're also a great adult spot to watch NFL Sunday Ticket games, Golf, Baseball, Tennis... Redskins and Clemson college football too. The NEW Majestic Bar & Grille - eat well. drink happy. repeat. Cheers!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Majestic Bar & Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
- Perfect place to catch upOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/23/2013Perfect place to catch up with friends and have a very good dinnerSpecial Features:
- Nice for a sports bar andOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/9/2013Nice for a sports bar and music venue but too noisy to be a dinner consideration. Server was very pleasant but clueless as to how to serve a bottle of wine-didn't pour for both guests after tasting, didn't provide ice bucket Steaks were great, pumpkin bread pudding excellent
- We came during the off timeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/8/2013We came during the off time after 2PM. Only one server was on staff and she was nice but slow. The bartender and bar service was superior and the chef allowed us to order from their dinner menu before the scheduled hour, nice touch and good food. I would go back to the Majestic.
- The fried chicken was excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 2/2/2013The fried chicken was excellent but the service was so slow.
- A convenient pub for localsWineYahooVIPDined on 2/2/2013A convenient pub for locals but REALLY LOUD room even with a small group in attendance. Crab bisque and dip were fine - crab cake was very forgettable for our region. Not likley to return.
- Best crab bisque!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 1/1/2013Crab bisque is simply perfect. Creamy but light base, succulent chunks of crab, great flavor. Attentive, friendly staff.Special Features:
- Call for menu before venturing out.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/9/2012The Bethesda location was fun but we arrived during football which apparently resulted in an abbreviated menu limited to bar food. We were surprised to find that the regular menu posted on the website was not available. Major disappointment. The restaurant was nearly empty and so a reservation was not at all necessary.Special Features:
- The food is pretty good hereSueKVIPDined on 11/29/2012The food is pretty good here but there are several "misses" - no decaf coffee available made or to be brewed, out of a few items and very "new" server who had to ask about everything....
- The steak was fantastic, theOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/3/2012The steak was fantastic, the shrimp salad was great, and the crab bisque was to die for, but the friendly and attentive service was what made this great little neighborhood place we will return to week after week.Special Features:
- Food was great. We waiteddmgeatVIPDined on 10/28/2012Food was great. We waited 45 minutes for it, without any updates from the waiter, which wasn't great. But we chatted with the bartender and the owner, who were both super nice.Special Features:
- I wanted to like the Majestic.SJRDCDined on 8/4/2012I wanted to like the Majestic. The fries were good but everything else at our table was mediocre at best. The turkey burger was inedible. The waiter provided good service but it's hard to get over the blandness of the food.
- We were at Majestic for anOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/30/2012We were at Majestic for an early dinner with friends on a Monday evening. The restaurant was nearly empty at the time, but in the past we have been there when it was quite busy. The room is very live, so the noise level depends on the volume of the people who happen to be there. The food was an excellent mix of comfort and haut cuisine, all perfectly cooked. I understand that there are few, if any, other Washington restaurants equiped to cook sous vide. Chef Damon Hersh is very innovative in personalizing recipes without compromising their innate character. We look forward to many more meals at Majestic Bar & Grill, and often recomment it to friends.Special Features:
- Nice meal... they need toSueKVIPDined on 5/31/2012Nice meal... they need to get the word out more so more folks come by...Special Features:
- This was the second time havingOneWeekCloserDined on 5/20/2012This was the second time having brunch at Majestic - and they need to step it up. The web site posted a 10:30am start to brunch but it's really 11am. We arrived and nobody was in sight on the back deck, we were seated and told that nobody had shown up yet to work. Orders were not perfect and took awhile - the English muffin's not toasted for the Eggs Benedict (something we'd pointed out on our last visit when we were asked for feedback on the menu). A biscuit ordered as a side took forever to come even after asking where it was. Apparently sitting somewhere; it arrived cold but split open as if toasted at one point. We'll give this place one last try but they need to improve.Special Features:
- Very disappointing! New restaurantLoodaVIPDined on 5/19/2012Very disappointing! New restaurant and wanted to give it a try. Food was average and they never brought ournappetizers/salads!
- Nice little addition to Bethesda.manfrommdVIPDined on 5/4/2012Nice little addition to Bethesda. Majestic, which just opened, bills itself as a gastropub, so expect more than just plain pub food. Although it does have an extensive bar, it is making a serious attempt to deliver some very interesting and well-prepared dishes. I had the wasabi crusted tuna (the small bites, but does come in an entree size too) which was very good. My wife had a burger which was very nice. There are other things on the menu that looked inviting. Very enjoyable and an affordable bill. We will have to return.Special Features:
- New place so could just beMmfdcVIPDined on 4/22/2012New place so could just be start up issues on the service - very friendly server but we were so often looking for something and no one around waiting on tables or at front host stand (silverware - etc). Not sure if they were having to multitask in the back/kitchen. Food was good - bison burger, salad and veal ribs all very tasty and nicely presented. Wine list is POOR - very pedestrian selection.
- Burger miscooked, no effortRichVIPDined on 4/19/2012Burger miscooked, no effort to correct. Identity crisis extraordinaire! Commendable gestures in the direction of a solid beer list, but it needs work.
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/13/2012The majestic is a gem! The food is outstanding- very Wolfgang Puck. And the wine and beer menu is impressive! I go every Friday and the service, food and libations are always divine! My favorites are the duck sliders and pasta putanesca!!Special Features:
- The place cannot make up itsOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/8/2012The place cannot make up its mind if it wants to be a sports bar or a restaurant, and seems to fail at both. The server seemed annoyed that he had to attend to us at all. We were first told that "they were out of bread" - a very unusual statement situation, to say the least, and after we had given up on the idea, he brought us a piece of a bread loaf that really appeared to have been warmed up in a microwave. Really no redeeming qualities to this place, and judging by how empty it was I don't give it a long life expectancy in an area with very high competition like Bethesda.
- Great Location. Lots of parkingNonicknameVIPDined on 4/8/2012Great Location. Lots of parking in the public lot in the back but easy to miss the place if you didn't know you were going there. Nice prices for the short wine list. Not a brunch place (which is fine). Didn't check the boxes because the adjectives vibrant, great and notoble are on the nouns bar, lunch, and wine. Nice decor and not a large place. Quiet because it was empty Sunday noonish--good to know if you want to meet someone to talk and not feel pressured when you want to linger.
- Charming place with an interestingOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 4/7/2012Charming place with an interesting menu. Good selection of beer on tap. Looking forward to a warm afternoon in order to give the patio a try.Special Features:
- Needs work before Sietsama arrives!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/31/2012It took 45 minutes to get the bread, but it was wonderful. The Ramon noodle dish was a real disappointment. It was way too salty and MADE WITH NOODLES FROM A PACKAGED BAG OF NOODLES LIKE ONE GETS AT GIANT! It was like haven't a lunch at work by microwaving the packaged noodles! When I asked about the flavors, the waitress brought a tray of 6 bags of packaged noodles, and asked me to choose one! This is not a homemade dish, and actually embarrassing when the tray is brought out in front of other diners, who laughed themselves silly! Also, there need to more reasonable wine options. $40, for a bottle of Marega Pinot Grigio is too high! Need more entrees on the menu, especialy fish, would be welcomed. The restaurant is much nicer now.
- Maybe it's just working out kinks?seahullVIPDined on 3/30/2012Great location with free parking next door.. unheard of but very welcomed in Bethesda. We brought our kids (6 and 8 yrs), but were seated at high bar tables, which served as a jungle-gym environment so was not very relaxing for the grown ups. Fun food, but sort of weird for the sake of being weird, i.e., we tried the cheese soup with pretzels as an appetizer- it was ok. My crab cake was doctored-up with fillers - come on, this is Maryland after all - crab cakes should be simple: crab, parsley, maybe a little egg-white to hold it all together, maybe a little lemon on top - not too much else. Either take it off the menu, or fix it for the locals. Maybe since Majestic is new, it's still working out the kinks?Special Features:
- Yum!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/30/2012This is a great little bar and grille with fabulous food and a rich history! They have all the typical bar fare, as well as additional not-so-typical items added in to tempt more adventurous palates. Chef Damon also has a short list of more elegant fare. I had the chicken and it was excellent. It was served on a bed of braised cabbage with potatoes, carrots and celery. It was fall-off-the-bone tender and absolutely delicious. My father tried the crab cakes and said that they were the best restaurant-made crab cakes he'd ever had. Mom said that the fish and chips were fabulous. The bread pudding a la mode with bananas, raisins and chocolate chips was to die for! Also, the drinks from the bar were all very good.Special Features:
- Very good food at a good price.OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/28/2012Very good food at a good price. Neighborhood vibe with the owner there making sure you have an enjoyable meal.Special Features:
- "Story" doesn't match real lifeinthebizVIPDined on 3/26/2012On their menus is a "Story" of the original restauarnat in PA & how the owner will carry on their family tradition here. He says he is dedicated to making sure every guest has a great experience. Yet at no time during our visit (a slow Monday night) did we see anyone checking on any guest. The food was just OK (nothing to rave about), but we had 2 service issues: (1) We could see a draught beer we ordered sitting at the end of the bar for 10 minutes until my guest pointed it out to our server. It was then delivered with a lame excuse of how he was busy helping other tables. (2) No written dessert menu: The server recommended the Bread Pudding which COMES WITH Vanilla Ice Cream. We got 1 scoop of Ice Cream & was charged an extra $4 for it!
- We really appreciated ourDisappointedDined on 3/24/2012We really appreciated our waiter. He helped us choose great food and we were very happy with our meal.Special Features:
- Almost MagesticOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 3/23/2012This is an eclectic neighborhood spot that delivers great unexpected diversity- a terrific bison burger, nicely done tuna wasabi and more The ambience is totally neighborhood bar and having just opened, the service is still erratic. A 15 minute wait for drinks and a 40 minute wait for food in a half full restaurant. The wait staff was attentive but its just opened and they still need to get timing figured out. But the food is way above expectations, the owner friendly and in time, it will surely meet its mark.Special Features:
- There was a smell of cleaningOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/20/2012There was a smell of cleaning fluids upon entering. Service pleasant but uninformed, apparently peeky toe crab sandwich on menu has not been available since opening. We were advised against salads as all portions too small for entrees. Chicken wings had a nice flavor sauce, but not crispy at all---soft texture not appealing. Burgers ok, "hand cut" fries limp and undercooked. The menu "story" and menu offerings seemed pretentious and did not measure up to their own hype. I would not recommend this restaurant. There is room for a true gastro pub in Bethesda with a relaxed environment and good upscale pub food--this is not it.
- I enjoyed an early SundayOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/18/2012I enjoyed an early Sunday dinner here with friends. I loved our table in the front by the big open window--perfect on a sunny, breezy afternoon. The vibe of the place is casual cool. The service was warm and friendly without being intrusive. The food was fun--classic pub food with clever twists that weren't simply showy, but that enhanced the food. For example, the frisee salad included poached pear that combined with the lardon and curry oil in a surprising and delicious way. The real treat, though, was the poutine--demiglace and truffle cream sauce elevated the traditional hangover food into something to be taken quite seriously. This place was worth the trip to Bethesda, and had me wishing I lived in the neighborhood.Special Features:
- Outstanding!!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/17/2012I have been to The Majestic 4 or 5 times and it is awesome every time! The beer and wine list is extensive and the food divine--try the orange scallops they are outstanding!!Special Features:
- we had a very good experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 3/16/2012we had a very good experience at Majestic. The owner greeted us and came to our table to check on our experience several times. The food was delicious! The waitress and the owner made sure our 6 year old felt welcome too. We will go back and look forward to the opening of the back patio!Special Features:
- This restaurant has greatOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/15/2012This restaurant has great atmosphere and amazing food. Everyone in our group loved their lunch.Special Features:
- Great new restaurant near movies!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/10/2012We loved this new restaurant. Lots of TVs, beautiful renovations. Great foodie options. Easy and free parking. Friendly staff.Special Features:
- The new restaurant is stillOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/9/2012The new restaurant is still figuring it out. Service was inconsistent and inexperienced. We ate all the small plates and only one was a standout. Nothing makes this restaurant standout in the neighborhood and there are better options in Bethesda.
- No real entree menu . NothingOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 3/8/2012No real entree menu . Nothing substantial besides the burger which was sold out. Mediocre bar food. The tuna and the cheddar soup were good. They have a friendly staff and good intentions but a long long way to go. I'll check back in six months If it's still open
- Portions are small, but theOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/5/2012Portions are small, but the food is good. A bit more spice would make the food stand out. The owner came over to chat, and he was interested in what we thought of the food and restaurant. It was the first week the restaurant had been open. Neighborhood place for relaxing conversation and nice food.
- The Majestic just opened aboutOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 3/3/2012The Majestic just opened about 4 days before I had dinner there. The owner was roaming around the dining area welcoming guests, talking about the concept and asking about the food. This was very nice. The food was already quite good, and as they perfect a few things like the short rib with 5-spice flavor (delicious but a bit tough), the food will be excellent. Scallops with orange glaze, won-tons with oxtail, shrimp and grits with corn, romaine salad were all terrific. Service started out a bit slow, but then it picked up, and again I would attribute this to the newness of the restaurant. I would go back for sure, and I hope they will have a long success in Bethesda.Special Features: