103 N. Highland Ave
Marfa, TX 79843Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.maiyasrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (432) 729-4410
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Wednesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Maiya Keck
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Maiya's Restaurant caters to a wide range of gatherings and is happy to discuss your specific event needs at the location of your choice. For more information please contact Susannah at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Private Party Facilities: Maiya's holds up to 70 people in its dining room and offers seasonal backyard dining upon request. It is the perfect place to host a private event or rehearsal dinner. Please contact Susannah to discuss details.
- Private Party Contact: Susannah Lipsey 9176535049
A word from Maiya's
Maiya’s is a contemporary Italian influenced restaurant. We specialize in seasonal, fresh, sustainable ingredients and offer a wide range of menu options. We have a diverse wine and beer list as well as a full bar and specialty cocktails.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Maiya's - Best Restaurants in Marfa ›
Maiya's reviews from OpenTable diners
27 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (15)neighborhood gem (13)special occasion (11)romantic (9)good for groups (6)hot spot (5)vibrant bar scene (5)notable wine list (4)great for outdoor dining (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- GOOD AND BADTAMASARDined on 11/22/2014Extremely high mark-ups, relatively inexpensive ingredients at excessively high prices. There is partial compensation in the talented food preparation, but that is hardly enough. A huge bowl of durum wheat pasta is no more than, whatever the sauce. Completely uninspired ambiance, just a big rectangular room packed with of rectangular tables. Water tumblers straight out of the school cafeteria. So the place is not exactly "bad" -- the dishes are tasty and the servers are very nice -- but the wine list excessively pricey too, so the overall experience is not something that one would recommend to friends.
- Marfa gemOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/14/2014Have been here several times. Maiya's is consistently amazingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Smiles wouldn't hurtsmlintexasDined on 11/8/2014Food was great, service was pretty good. Room was comfortable and inviting. Don't understand why none of the staff could manage a sincere greeting or even a smile. This was my first visit, so not being familiar with anyone, the staff could have been new and just nervous. Maybe someone told them only "silly" restaurants have smiling wait staff??? Or some nonsense like that.
- Loved it!AMinnisDined on 10/15/2014I went with a group of friends for my birthday while visiting Marfa. The food was great! They were fairly busy, which was not a problem at all, but they have us a free bottle of wine for out wait! Lovely experience overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MarfadinerDined on 10/11/2014Last Saturday the food was definitely "off" - out of the Salmon, Pene Pasta was horrible and the soup was so watered down and tasteless. Had several friends dine over the weekend and they all concluded the same review. We also requested more bread and we told we could only have one serving. Very disappointed indeed.
- Steak and ManhattanGretelDined on 10/11/2014The only steak I eat: cooked perfectly every time. I wanted to treat a friend and as always it was a very nice time. I really like the room too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently Good.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/25/2014The food is very good and the ambiance is great. Staff is very nice.
- Marfa, Labor Day WeekendTerryDined on 8/30/2014We made reservations. However, there was a glitch with seating us, so we waited at the bar. But after we were seated everything was really wonderful, our waitstaff was excellent and the salad's and tenderloin were to sigh for!Special Features:
- Don't trust James BeardmamalunaDined on 8/30/2014I was expecting much better food than they offered. The vodka cream pasta was a bowl of penne pasta from a box mixed with a tasteless sauce (and it cost $24!!). The lasagna looked great and tasted like cheese and mushrooms. The beef tenderloin was the highlight as it was super tender, but still lacked spices. Overall, the prices are way too high for this restaurant.
- Good food in MarfascottDined on 8/29/2014We travel to Marfa at least one time each year and have eaten at Maiya's several times. It's always good and it handles our usual large crowd very well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thank you, as alwaysZip78229Dined on 8/22/2014Thank you to the entire staff for yet another pleasant and delicious dinnerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014Maiya's is a sophisticated restaurant with a well trained staff and an atmosphere ( but not noise level) reminiscent of New York rather than Western Texas. The food is innovative without trying to be too clever and is attractively served. If I ever come back to Marfa, I would certainly come back to Maiya's.Special Features:
- The following 102 reviews are from the Maiya's reviews archive.
- LUV2EATDined on 7/25/2014Food was pretty good, but very expensive. Had to order meat separately, since it didn't come with entrees. Definitely not worth the price. Items that were on the menu online weren't available in restaurant. No kid's menu. Glad we went to try it out, but wouldn't go back.
- Review on Maiya'swilltravel4foodDined on 7/11/2014We felt that the food at Maiya's was over priced for the quality of the food. I ordered lasagna and it was over cooked - it was $26 and I can find it for half the price here in Austin and it's much better quality. The ambiance and service were ok - but overshadowed by mediocre food quality and overpriced food.Special Features:
- A Nice Meal in an Amazing TownFieldstation15Dined on 7/10/2014My 9 year old and I ate here after a day at Chinati. Our waitperson was attentive without being overbearing. The food was very good but spendy. I would attribute the expense to a combination of chef skill and the difficulty of ingredient sourcing. Everything tasted fresh and well conceived. I would have liked a few more varieties of mushrooms in my mushroom lasagna and possibly a surprising ingredient to really make this dish sing but it was well made, light, and I enjoyed it. My daughters ordered the steak and it was perfectly cooked. The asparagus that it was served with were the thinnest most flavorful stalks I've had. The "best Manhattan" cocktail lived up to its name!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Maiya's oh Maiya'smegapiranhaVIPDined on 7/4/2014It's our third time at Maiya's and it was delicious. We had the caprese salad, vodka pasta, and TWO desserts! I wish I could have kept eating! Oh and my Paloma was divine. Keep up the good work y'all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not like we remembered it.ArleneVIPDined on 6/28/2014We hadn't been to Marfa in a few years and our memories of the last visit to Maiy as brought us back. Unfortunately, the memories didn't match up to this visit. It took about 8 minutes for anyone to take our drink order. They were out of the cheese plate appetizer too. We had to ask for bread. Once the service began things improved. My spinach lasagna was well prepared and my husband's steak was a perfect rare. Will we go back? I'm not sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy!featherDined on 6/13/2014Loved the spinach lasagna! Dark chocolate torte divine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gem in west TexasfoodloverinAustinDined on 6/4/2014Maiya's is one of my favorite restaurants! When visiting west Texas we drive an extra hour just to have dinner there. The hours are limited and so is the seating so be sure to make reservations. The food is always excellent and perfectly prepared. The wine list is surprisingly good for such a small restaurant in a small town like Marfa. If you want a special seat outside or by the window be sure to ask for it when making reservations. The service is ok depending on the tenure of the staff person. Overall a great dining experience!Special Features:
- Greatpeggy1940Dined on 6/4/2014Marfa suffers terrible from good eating places, even average places - Alpine beats them hands-down except for Maiya's! What a gem, food was outstanding, cocktail's innovative and wine selection very good. What a gem for the area!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meh.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/24/2014Perhaps my expectations were too high for this local Marfa , TX establishment. I was underwhelmed with the flavor of Italian dishes. Overly priced, overly sweet tomato sauce made for disappointment of authenticity.Special Features:
- Marfa jewelSaintHFoodieVIPDined on 5/21/2014Open only 4 evenings a week, but well worth the wait. Eggplant stack and spinach lasagna were great. The goat cheese cherry ice cream was absolutely amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ITALIAN WITH SOUTHWEST FLAIRScoutDined on 5/14/2014Maiya's is a nice little restaurant that usually has delightful fresh ingredients. The menu and well curated wine list are nicely varied. Our only complaint is that the chef has heated (spicy) the food up to a level that's more southwestern than Italian. We enjoy spicy food that's flavorful, but the overwhelming seasoning spoiled our main courses, the tasty ingredients were vanquished by the heat. The saving grace, for our mouths and digestion, was the dessert of flaky profiteroles. A place for special occasions, but not for everyday dining - quite pricey for the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- thats good stuff!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/24/2014The bread may have been some of the best I have ever had. And who hasn't had a lot of bad bread to get super excited when it is this good??Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wouldn't go back.TedsterDined on 4/12/2014We thought we found a real great place in the heart of Marfa. However, the prices for both wine & food were way too high for the quality of the product. The food was pretty good while the prices were pretty high.Special Features:
- Not badCouplesretreatDined on 3/22/2014Of course when you visit west Texas your options are going to be limited but the food here gets the basics right. Marfa isn't exactly a foodie destination so as long as you put that into context most people should enjoy the food here. Service was great, professional and our party pretty much had everything refilled or refreshed without us having to ask. Like the town, everyone was friendly and while not memorable of a dining experience, it's a very solid choice for a good meal while in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We'd heard praise from localsAustinSeanVIPDined on 3/13/2014We'd heard praise from locals – and from the restaurant's press machine – and for the most part, it stood up. But why not make all pastas in house? And why overcook precious, wild caught salmon to the point it's tough? And why not some gluten-free options, like risotto? Service was rough, to the point our waiter (some what laughingly), said "I can't do this job!" Cute, but at $20+ per entree, I expect the machine to be a little more well-oiled.
- Limited options in MarfagdaddyDined on 3/13/2014Delightful evening with compelling atmosphere, friendly service and wonderful food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A surprise in the DesertHoustonTravlerVIPDined on 3/12/2014I had read good reviews on OpenTable and other sites about Maiya but I have to say - it still exceeded my expectations. The food was really good. Home made pasta is not what you expect in a tiny town in the desert, but Maiya had great food and service. The wine list was also impressive and the prices quite reasonable. If you are anywhere in the area - (which in West Texas means within a 100 miles) go here and have a nice dinner.Special Features:
- Horrible serviceNickDined on 3/8/2014It took forever to be waited on. We ordered appetizers and the waiter had to be reminded. Our entrees took over an hour to prepare and be served. We had reservations for six and they added a 20% tip. I would not have tipped that much for the very poor service we received. I had eaten at Maiya's numerous times and loved it. I brought my son and his family because I wanted to take them to a nice restaurant. BIG MISTAKE!
- A Valentine TreatLivingwithJoyDined on 2/14/2014We enjoyed a wonderful evening meal on Valentine's Day. Food was excellent, staff was friendly and we will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall the dining experienceRudeDined on 2/14/2014Overall the dining experience was excellent. I had the spinach lasagna and my girl friend had the free range chicken, both were very good. Half a chicken was a bit much for her so I helped out. I had heard from friends about this place and the reviews were all good so we drove three hours for Valentine's dinner. It was worth it. The service was A+.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UndecidedHollyLizDined on 2/1/2014Maiya's was an interesting find in Marfa (I live in Houston) Pro's: Food was good and Maiya's has a great wine list. The restaurant decor is fantastic and I'm sure the clientele is "who's who" of Marfa. Con's: Entrees were overpriced, which was strange when the appetizers and desserts were not. The service was not good. The tables around us seemed to get quite good service but we had to ask for everything (water, bread, silverware, more water, etc.). We ordered a bottle of wine and it took 30 minutes to get it to the table. I was afraid that the entrees would appear before the wine but it took an hour to get the entrees so it "worked out". Can I recommend the restaurant to a friend? Sure, but because of a lack of choice in Marfa.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Update your online menuNickDined on 1/25/2014The food, service and atmosphere were great as usual. However, the online menu lists Bass Ale and Newcastle Ale as available. I have had Bass there on more than one occasion. However, they did not have either and the waitress told me she had worked there for five years and they had never had Bass. As I said I have had it more than once and I only discovered Maiya's two years ago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently good.GonzoshooterDined on 1/23/2014This restaurant could hold its own with the best of Dallas, Houston or San Antonio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great mealBuffaloGapGuyDined on 1/9/2014Had a really great meal just steps from the hotel. A nice surprise!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChallengedHPMarfaDined on 1/8/2014Maiya's was crowded on Wednesday night, most likely because another quality restaurant in town is closed until the 16th. Service was very slow and our food was overcooked - portions of both my entree and desert were burnt! I should have sent both back to the kitchen, but I was hungry and did not want to wait another half hour for replacements. Hopefully our experience is not the norm. If so, there are better dining options in Marfa.
- Decent, but priceyPhilDined on 1/8/2014Marfa is a tiny town so dining options are understandably limited. Maiya's proved acceptable overall, pouring drinks to the brim was a definite plus, but everything is overpriced. The cafe across the street had arguably the same quality food for a fraction of the price. I would return in the future perhaps for apps and drinks, but I'd recommend you fill up somewhere else beforehand unless you're willing to drop the big bucks.Special Features:
- Dickson family outingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/3/2014Enjoyed the brussell sprouts and lasagna. Onion tart very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulrherbDined on 12/4/2013Beautiful Italian food in west Texas. Wonderful, simple dishes and the best steak I've had in a long time.Special Features: