341 St. Nicholas Ave
New York, NY 10027Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://maisonharlem.com/
- Phone: (212) 222-9224
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: from 5pm to 12am
Saturday - Sunday: from 5.30pm to 12am
Monday - Friday: from 11am to 5pm
Saturday - Sunday: from 11am to 4pm
Maison-MiniMenu available on weekends between 4pm and 5.30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Romain Bonnans
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from Maison Harlem
Maison Harlem is pleased to be the newest culinary destination spot to join West Harlem's vibrant community. Featuring a charming rustic interior that perfectly complements the mouth-watering French Bistro style menu and superb wine selection.Continued
"We are two food and wine loving French New Yorkers who are bringing an exciting restaurant to Harlem, one of the most beautiful neighborhoods in the borough."
"We are two food and wine loving French New Yorkers who are bringing an exciting restaurant to Harlem, one of the most beautiful neighborhoods in the borough."
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Maison Harlem reviews from OpenTable diners
14 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (9)fit for foodies (6)notable wine list (6)romantic (6)special occasion (5)vibrant bar scene (4)great for brunch (4)late-night find (3)good for groups (2)great for lunch (2)great for outdoor dining (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- a good local hangOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 11/4/2014Solid food of French bistro style and the chocolate lava cake for dessert was very delicious! Friendly atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ryan47Dined on 10/1/2014Great spot for a date or a late dinner! Lovely atmosphere and knowledgeable staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 42 reviews are from the Maison Harlem reviews archive.
- InconsistentOrnaVIPDined on 6/30/2014As a Harlem native, I want to love Maison Harlem, but it's still got a ways to go as far as offering consistently good food and service. The space is charming and inviting - a great addition to this corner of the neighborhood. However, on most visits, including my most recent, the service was extremely slow. We were the only patrons in the establishment and it took 15 minutes before someone came over to take our order and even longer before our round of drinks came. Foodwise, the coq au vin was delightful, but the salads niçoise was bland and uninspired. In the past, I've enjoyed the delicious salmon, but the food is just so hit or miss. I hope to see consistently improved service -friendly and pleasant, but painfully slow- and food!Special Features:
- French Cuisine in HarlemLeggoMyEggoDined on 6/24/2014It has been quite a while since I have experienced eating in Harlem. I met a friend for lunch at this location. The restaurant is easy to find off the 125th Street (B/D) line, located right on the corner. The first thing I was impressed by was the brightness of the interior. Lots of windows provided a nice stream of sunlight, that gave the place an airy feel. The food was very tasty. I had large bowl of mussels w/white wine, and a tuna tartare. The staff shared the load in keeping our table clean and our glasses full. My only gripe was having to pay for sparkling water, and a couple of times I had to wait to get the server's attention. All in all, a great experience. Hope to visit this little jewel again in the near future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a PleasureOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/7/2014I have dined at Harlem Maison several times & with friends who frequent it for both lunch & dinner. It is never a disappointment & always a great meal with friendly wait staff. The bar is welcoming & the open doors in the spring/summer make it a fun al fresco experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Short List DiningEusebioDined on 5/23/2014The ambience and the food are very French, as is the service. Adding itself to a very short list of French restaurants in Harlem, Maison Harlem ranks below some slightly more intriguing spots throughout the area yet delivers on the most fundamental urge that bring diners out to such a place: the charm of French restaurants in Harlem. A French food renaissance of sorts has slowly been developing over years and Maison adds itself to that illustrious group with appropriate tradition as well as welcome innovations, however the noise, slightly curt service and higher-than-neighborhood-normal prices will assure that this is one such place that remains a 'destination' and 'special occasion' venue. The pricy wine list is refined, but worth a try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stevel718VIPDined on 5/10/2014This was our second time dining at Maison Harlem. It continues to impress us. The menu selections are first rate and the execution of the dishes is great. There is an authentic feeling of being in a neighborhood bistro in Paris. We luve it and will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dairodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/10/2014Our waiter was splendid! Food was great, in all a great time.
- charming and cozy neighborhood spotOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/4/2014I had dinner with a group of four early on a Sunday evening. This is a charming, casual neighborhood spot with a fairly wide menu. The food was great and the portions just the right size (not too big, not too small). The noise level was starting to get uncomfortable by the time we left, so I wouldn't expect to have a quiet conversation during prime dinner hours.Special Features:
- A gem in Harlemluv2dineDined on 4/30/2014Delicious food, the Duck Confit was splendid. Nice selection of wines and the wait staff attentive and knowledgeable.Special Features:
- Great dinner spot!FrenchyDined on 4/25/2014I went with my friends for dinner and we all enjoyed our dinner. Great ambiance, tasty cocktails. I'll definetely go back.Special Features:
- Very Good lunch!GingerVIPDined on 4/25/2014Onion soup, really tasty! Frisee salad, delicious lardons in generous amounts, quiche unusually thick and delicious. Neighborhood: easy to get to and fun to walk around. Friendly wait staff and clientele. Definite "go to."Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placeFlorenceDined on 4/20/2014I'm there way too much, food is great, right next door to my place! The only problem is the noise level. No, it's not "energetic" it's loud!! This is a restaurant, not a club, please lower the music. If I want to go dancing or go to a lounge, I do not go to a restaurant!! That's the only problem I see with this place and many other restaurants in the city btw...Special Features:
- Real French BistroBillDined on 4/19/2014Genuine French bistro food in Harlem. Experienced and professional staff. A good find in this neighborhood. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Harlem on our mindsGingerVIPDined on 4/17/2014We wanted to try out some of the newer Harlem restaurants and were not disappointed with HM. The onion soup was DELICIOUS, much better than most we have tried on the UWS. A little too much cheese and bread on top, but that's a matter of preference. The quiche was generous and tasty, a bit salty, but we like salty. Salads gently dressed so you could taste the lovely greens in their various guises. Desert was OK but nothing to write about. Attentive service although there could have been more help during the busy lunch hour.Special Features:
- Terrible servicenycdiningDined on 4/13/2014This was the worst service that I or anyone in my group of four have ever experienced. Our server was arrogant and had to be chased down for every need, including a drink menu after we had been seated for fifteen minutes and she then came by to take our drink order. After we informed her, she left to presumably bring us a drink menu and when she had not returned for another five minutes, we retrieved one from the hostess. We then had to go find her for every need during dinner, including asking for a dessert menu. As I said, she was arrogant and haughty and it negatively affected our entire experience.
- This restaurant is a favoriteJohnDined on 4/10/2014This restaurant is a favorite with excellent food at good prices. On a recent visit the noise level was so high that we couldn't carry on a conversation with our friends. The next day I had a sore throat from talking over the loud crowd. The steak tartare and mussels were great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OystersHarlemVIPDined on 4/9/2014I really like the oysters at maison Harlem. Nice size and taste.love the burger n fries.onion soup delicious. I had tha sea food pasta, it was good lil on the salty side but nothing that we could not tolerate. Just one negative service was lil slow, bread came after our apertizers.... Overall I like and recommend itSpecial Features:
- FabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/6/2014Food is amazing. Very cool laid back vibe, really amazing international patrons. Harlem is really where it's happeningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bachelorette BrunchFaizahDined on 4/6/2014I was referred by a friend who lives in NY. Although I was nervous because it received 3 stars on Yelp, I was very much impressed. The service was great, attentive, and very helpful. The food was very good. We stayed at the establishment for 3.5 hours. Had a great time. The place is very quaint and I highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Server was terrible. 3 ofMAC1VIPDined on 3/30/2014Server was terrible. 3 of the 4 meals were wrong. Would not go back.
- Harlem gem.coachpatDined on 3/25/2014This is my favorite harlem restaurant. Great quality, service and atmosphere. The duck and salmon were perfect. The burgers looked amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- True Corner BistroOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/15/2014This place is a great addition to Harlem's dining scene. The food is always good, sometimes great. Nice menu with real specials and great bread and butter. Whether it is a simple quick meal or a night out with friends, this corner spot always fills the bill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely local bistroverdantvisDined on 3/9/2014It has a very neighborhood and relaxed atmosphere, that always makes you feel welcome. However, the night we were dining there was a table of 4 that were from Scandinavia enjoying their meal.Special Features:
- Awesome!AnonymousDined on 3/6/2014I was here recently for a little girls night out and I had a great time. The staff were super nice and friendly. I will definitely be visiting here again. =)Special Features:
- Can you say YUMMY? Simply DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/24/2014My girlfriends and I came to see our friend's Latin Jazz Trio Falu y Su Combo play. The music was AWESOME and the FOOD was simply DELICIOUS!!! From the Hot Crusty French Bread upon arrival, to the spicy Calamari as a prerequisite to our meal. We were all very pleased with our choices. I really enjoyed the Grilled Salmon drizzled in a lemon caper sauce, served resting on a bed of Ratatouille, the flavors danced on my tongue. I will return for a date night for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great French Restaurant in HarlemJaydeeVIPDined on 2/19/2014My daughter, who lives nearby, and I met for dinner at Maison Harlem while I was on a business trip. I choose the restaurant as it was close to the subway (the A, B, C line exit is right on 127th across from the restaurant), but I was pleased by the coziness of the restaurant, the good food, good wine list, and the great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved Maison HarlemLZ4eightVIPDined on 2/10/2014A total gem. Warm and friendly with delicious bistro food, a charming waiter, even the other guests were wonderful. We were a party of six celebrating my daughter's birthday. The wait staff all came to the table with dessert to sing happy birthday. I would go there again … and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- French bistro with very goodKEENJVIPDined on 2/6/2014French bistro with very good food and a pleasant, low-key atmosphere. Loved the crusty bread and cauliflower soup-of-the-day.Special Features:
- Maison HarlemmnbnycVIPDined on 1/29/2014This a warm cozy place with a great atmosphere, genial and well-informed wait staff, great food and a pleasant wine list. The food is French but with a North African twist and the portions are generous,adequate without being 'gut-busting'. There is a pleasant bar area and although the restaurant is small, it doesn't feel cramped. We liked it and would go back. A big bonus on a cold or rainy evening was that the subway exit/entrance is just a few steps away.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Christmas bonusAnzfaDined on 12/25/2013In NYC for Christmas from Oz, and the idea of a Christmas lunch in a French restaurant in Harlem took our fancy. The sauce bearnaise on one of the courses wasn't available but no complaints about the menu: standard French fare cooked well - sadly less common in France than it used to be. The service was friendly and efficient and the wine list was sound. A big bonus was that it was not as noisy as most of the NYC lunchtime places we tried. Well worth the trip to Harlem and to be recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very lovely for thanksgivingSexyLittleMinxDined on 11/28/2013Brought some friends here for a Thanksgiving lunch. Great service! The food was excellentSpecial Features:
- Consistently exceptionalHarlemTomDined on 11/27/2013Our favorite restaurant in all of NYC. No pretense, classy, fantastic food, great staff, every visit is special. Yes, service is relaxed, but professional, & that's one of the joys. Just go, & you'll be glad you did.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It Was Almost Very GoodLivCloseByVIPDined on 11/26/2013That said, we expected it to be great. One meal in our party of 4 was delivered late because the server didn't "turn that one in". The burger for one of our party, ordered medium was delivered rare and was cold in the middle. However, we'd still give them another chance. We like the location, it's a very, very nicely appointed restaurant. Just some glitches to work out I guess. We live in the neighborhood and hope to see Maison Harlem do well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'm so glad I finally got to go!RoseVIPDined on 10/16/2013I had wanted to visit his restaurant for a while and I finally got to eat there a few nights ago... The food was absolutely incredible... Amazing cocktails...Service was good and desserts ok but in general it's a great restaurant... Right off the 125th ABCD subway stop it's very easy to get to... I will definitely visit often...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- At Home at Maison HarlembeautybyrudyDined on 10/9/2013Maison Harlem is always a pleasant dining experience whether I am there for an intimate dinner for two or a larger group of friends as was this most recent visit. One of the many things I love about this haunt is that menu is varied enough to accommodate any specific tastes and price range. I love it here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Used to love this place. HaveJusMDined on 7/31/2013Used to love this place. Have been 6-7 times. Brought family and hyped the place up to them and had a terrible experience. Had a reservation for 5, they tried to sit us at a table for 4. Took us 10min of arguing with staff telling us that it was for 5 until will finally moved. Food has fallen off, duck was about half the size of portions I remember and fish was small as well. Our waitress was very nice, but they were understaffed and she couldnt serve us well because she had way too many tables. Food took forever, apps came out on time, then french fries came out right after and then we waited 25 minutes for entrees. Overall terrible experience for a place I really liked.
- a must try in the old hood.yummymummmyDined on 6/11/2013Definitely a pleasurable dining experience. Like a petit pastis without the noise. Will definitely dine here again, good flavor, lovely setting, charming and accommodating service. Came with a group of 6 and an unexpected baby guest in a baby carrier seated without a problem and taken care if asap. Cocktails were thoughtfully made.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ridiculous wait!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/9/2013I was so so excited to have Maison Harlem exactly be a block from my apartment! Then I had to move further uptown and was saddened that I wasn't able to make MH my hot spot. So when I do make an appearance I tend to get excited because it's a fantastic, quaint neighborhood gem! The table and the meal was fabulous! What wasn't were the service and the almost hour wait for our dishes to drop at our table! I realize it was a rather busy Sunday evening but to wait an hour for mussels/fries and a chicken paillard salad is unheard of! What was most unsettling was that the ONLY time anyone from the restaurant acknowledged a problem was AFTER my guest and I had paid the bill. I will return but with lower expectations, sadly.Special Features:
- Very cool french bistrolovessteakdinnersDined on 5/22/2013Hits all the right notes with classic french bistro food and relaxed upscale environment. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.