Main Street Steak and Chop House
342 Main Street
Dubuque, IA 52001Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Main Street Steak and Chop House
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://mainstreetchophouse.com/
- Phone: 5635888001
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Main Street Steak and Chop House
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Main Street Steak and Chop House - Best Restaurants in Dubuque ›
Main Street Steak and Chop House reviews from OpenTable diners
11 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (5)romantic (5)special occasion (5)good for groups (3)late-night find (3)neighborhood gem (3)vibrant bar scene (3)great for lunch (2)hot spot (2)notable wine list (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Food was great!!!BadgersonthegoDined on 10/18/2014Our steaks came out quickly and cooked to perfection. It's basically a sports bar, but very nice and our server was very good. We booked from out of town, so we were taking a chance. We left very happy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good findADNaperVIPDined on 10/10/2014We were spending one night in Galena and were looking for a place to have a good steak dinner. This fit the bill; the tomahawk rib eye we had was one of the best steaks I've ever eaten. We asked for medium rare and it was perfect. I say "we" because my husband and I shared the steak since it was 22 oz. For a small upcharge we were able to get a second potato and salad so we didn't share that (they come with the steak). Our server was a nice young woman and the restaurant is attractive. There was convenient on street parking across the way which cost us only 1 quarter for each 15 minute increment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/4/2014Usually the dining experience is good. This evening the staff could not keep up to the full house. Resulting in slow service and food prep not the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014It was our anniversary. Galena has been our get-away town. We wanted a nice place to celebrate so chose Main St. online. We were delighted with the delicious meal, cooked to our order. Their cornbread was awesome! The service was very good, our waitress even took the time to take our picture. Sweet. We'd definitely come back, probably not as dressed up. :)Special Features:
- disappointeddisappointedDined on 8/23/2014First of all I was very excited to dine at your establishment and was in awe at what you had done with the interior-lovely. However-I was very disappointed with the quality of food and service. One of our party rdered a blended margarita which took 10 minutes to make and it was placed in a martini glass (with the majority of the blended mixture still in the blender which was discarded.) My sister took 2 sips and it was gone and they were large sips! Our waitress was un-knowledgeable and nearly rude with answering questions.Special Features:
- AMAZING!kbham08Dined on 7/5/2014The food was amazing! So flavorful, served HOT, completely worth your money! If you are visiting in Dubuque, this restaurant is a must!Special Features:
- The following 41 reviews are from the Main Street Steak and Chop House reviews archive.
- Do NOT over cook pork chopsPorkChopDined on 6/10/2014I travel for work and according to the National Pork Board there’s some big, juicy news for pork lovers who still enjoyed a chop or tenderloin, even though it had to be cooked all the way through to near shoe-leather density: The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) has officially lowered the recommended cooking temperature for pork chops, roasts and tenderloins from 160 degrees, down to 145 degrees Fahrenheit. Translation: Pork is now held to the same temperature standards as beef. That means, thanks to the new, lower safe cooking temperature for pork, your chops can now arrive on your plate tender and juicy – and even a little pink in the middle. I ordered my chop medium rare & it came out well done and cut like leather!Special Features:
- Excellent downtown restaurant!AnniversaryCoupleDined on 5/25/2014This restaurant was recommended by a friend and he didn't let us down. Beautiful old building in Dubuque; inside is gorgeous. The service was excellent and the food was great!Special Features:
- YummmmmOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/26/2014Their tuna poke and beef and bleu appetizers were amazing.Special Features:
- loudOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/18/2014The Friday noght bar crowd was so loud that they really ruined the business conversation that I planned to take place during dinner. The food was good, and the service was very good, but I won't plan to take clients here inthe future with so much noise coming from the bar.Special Features:
- Unique restaurant. We areRomanceDined on 4/5/2014Unique restaurant. We are trying different restaurants in the area and loved this one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the best in DBQOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/4/2014the new menu is great. if you want a great steak they have best in town. if you want a lighter side try their salad. the bar is wonderful and cocktails.Special Features:
- The service was very good.VinnieVIPDined on 3/29/2014The service was very good. The steaks were excellent. Problem the baked potatoes were underdone.My steak was perfect but my guessed asked for a medium steak. We had to send it back, My wife's steak was raw. Need help with the grill person. New menu is excellent for Dubuque. We will be back because all the problems are correctible.Special Features:
- fabulous food10yearanniversaryDined on 3/22/2014We went there for something different. Tired of the "steak houses" in Dubuque, I heard about the main street chophouse and made reservations. The experience was awesome and the food and service was excellent too. Will definitely be returning and recommending to friends and family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I was on a business trip withOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/10/2014I was on a business trip with a collegue and this resteraunt fit the bill nicely. This is a great spot for entertaining clients as the noise level was perfect for conversation. The service and food were great. I thought that the food was priced accordingly for my visit.Special Features:
- Date Nightluv2dineDined on 3/7/2014I went there with my husband. Had a good time. Parts of the meal were good, and other parts were inedible. It was way too loud, for a quiet date night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CH-CH-CH-CH-CHANGESDbqseekrDined on 2/15/2014They have revamped their menu more appropriate to the city. Still some of the finest AGED beef in town, All 3 ordered to different degrees and each cooked perfectly. 2 added lobster tails which though small were moist and succulent. The Wedding Cake dessert was HUGE! ONLY disappointing food factors- small salad and lack of baked potato option. The martini's seemed small, but of excellent quality. Service started slow - 45 minutes to get a second drink and an hour before salad or bread, but very prompt after that. If you want conversation ask for a table/booth towards the back. The bar area can get quite lively and though the décor is beautiful, it's hard surfaced and reflective. 3rd visit and will return frequently.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must trybling64Dined on 2/14/2014I took my husband for dinner for his birthday and we had a wonderful time and dinner. The food was wonderful, service exceptional and the ambiance was beautiful! We have found a new favorite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The steak and bleu cheesefoodie84Dined on 2/14/2014The steak and bleu cheese fondue was good. The steak was tender and juicy and the salads were fresh and satisfying. However, my husband had a strip steak that was tough and overdone. My filet was also charred more than I'd prefer as well as overdone. It seems like a good place to mingle with friends around the bar and have a drink and some appetizers. Overall, a nice atmosphere but I've had better steak elsewhere in town.
- Valentine dinnerStellaDined on 2/14/2014We had a new waiter,first night, so he was a little off but dinner went fine. My meal was so-so but my husband loved his steak. It was very busy, our meal came out very fast, but then we waited 45 minutes for dessert. He apologized and we were fine with it. Would go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what we were expectingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/8/2014Our service was not very good and it was not overly busy so that was a surprise and disappointment. The food was okay but did not WOW us for the price we had to pay. We won't be going back any time soon and would not recommend it to our friends for a night out on the town as they can get the same thing else where in town for less cost.
- Restaurant RevisitgourmetgoogDined on 2/8/2014We revisited the Main St Chophouse to see what the new menu (lower prices) was like. The menu has a limited entree list, with expanded selections in wraps, sandwiches, and burgers. Entrees are accompanied by the house salad and a baked potato (no other options were offered; e.g., veggies or other potato styles). The food was good, although there was a lack of any attempt to present the food in an attractive way. I will be going there for lunch this week, so will have a better idea if the lunch menu is better. I would probably not return here for dinner.Special Features:
- A great Steak Joint!FyrcapDined on 1/18/2014The food, wine & service was superior. Good wine list. Very relaxing atmosphere. Staff was very informative, friendly and attentive. Overall great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FANTASTICsmariebergDined on 11/15/2013Although I was initially a little shocked by the prices on the menu, the food more than made up for it! The servings were generous and it was so delicious! I am not a big foodie but I was very impressed! Our server was phenomenal and helped explain everything on the menu to us! I would highly recommend this to a couple looking for special night out and not worried about spending a little cash!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceRobertDined on 11/15/2013Always the best for food, service, drinks, and desertSpecial Features:
- great food and presentationconradVIPDined on 10/31/2013great food and presentation in elegant atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic dinnerMidwestern22Dined on 10/12/2013So glad we found this restaurant on a romantic getaway. It was perfect. The ambiance and music were perfect. The food exceptional. Our server was very professional. We had a wonderful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super ServiceJennDined on 9/28/2013My husband and I dined here to celebrate our anniversary. The food was fantastic. I highly recommend the chicken tortilla soup to start. WOW! Yummy! The service was great. Great location! I loved the modern decor. We will go again when we are in town!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We found this place by accidentOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/21/2013We found this place by accident on the internet and we are glad we did. Great dining experience. The service and the food are amazing. I had the Veal Chops and would recommend them to everyone.The baked potato could be a meal on it's own, would suggest sharing it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- compares with the ChiagoOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/13/2013We had a great experience. Equal to the great steakhouses we have enjoyed in Chicago and Phoenix.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SteakhouseChicagoCuisineDined on 8/17/2013We unexpectedly found ourselves in Dubuque and went to Main Street. We live just outside of Chicago and normally go to Gibsons, Ditka's or Chop House for steak, so our expectations were high. Main Street did not disappoint on food or service. Both the chopped salad and ceasar salad were great and served with homemade warm naan and dipping oil. The bone in ribeye was really "bone in" as there was a good foot of bone attached. The ribeye was cooked perfectly and very tasty as was the 12 oz filet mignon. Sides were very generous and delicious--mushrroms,mashed potatoes and mac and cheese. For dessert, we had a piece of strawberry swirled cheescake which lived up to the rest of the meal. Josh, our server was attentive and personable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great new dining experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/13/2013Main Street Steak and Chop was wonderful. Friendly people, beautiful atmosphere, lovely decor. Steak and lamb chops were perfectly prepared. Only negative - the baked potato was big enough for three! Attentive staff and great experience overall. Cant wait to go again and try something else on the menu. What a perfect addition to the dining scene in Dubuque! Yum!!Special Features:
- A great find in the City CenterMadArchVIPDined on 7/12/2013Traveling through the area, found this Establishment. Great Prime Rib and grilled vegetables. Mashed Potatoes to salty more our taste. A bit pricey, but appropriate for a special occasion. Very enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food,great environment!YumbumDined on 6/25/2013Wow,What a steak and accompaniments ! A delicious dinner with perfect service. A great place to celebrate a special occasions or for that special business client. They understand great selection and the highest quality of food and service. Worthy of a few extra bucks for a memorable meal. Enjoy,Bon appetit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeded my expectationsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/8/2013I went to mainstreet with my girlfriends before a show at Five Flags. Great location and very good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't miss this spotOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/6/2013Great food, great service, cool spot. Truly the best food in town and one of the best chop houses!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This the second time my wifeVinnieVIPDined on 6/1/2013This the second time my wife and I have eaten at Main Street Steak and Chop house. We had and outstanding salad (Brie). We had two different dinners, Lanb Chops and Pork Chops. They were excellent. We will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food great; wine needs workOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/31/2013My husband and I dined here for our 10 year wedding anniversary. We tend to frequent steakhouse type places for these special occasions. I ordered the filet, with the garlic schmear. It was amazing, and worth the money. Best steak I've had in town. We also had the French onion soup, mashed potatoes, and asparagus. All was delicious, but not overly special. The most disappointing part of the meal was the wine selection. While there is a decent selection of wine, there weren't enough options by the glass, and I felt the bottle options were a bit over priced. If better wines were available by the glass, or better prices on the bottles, I think we'd frequent the place more often.Special Features:
- Steaks were great flavor andOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/31/2013Steaks were great flavor and tender. Grilled veggies were excellent. Service could not have been better, friendly and professional. Great experience all around! Definitely plan on returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just perfectkatowiDined on 5/12/2013Very attentive staff. Food was prepared exactly as requested and wonderful. Interesting menu. Vibrant decor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.