Main Restaurant & Oyster Bar
300 Main Street
Greenport, NY 11944Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Main Restaurant & Oyster Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://nofosquare.com/
- Phone: 6314776840
- Hours of Operation:
Monday, Wednesday, Thursday: 4:30 PM - 9:00 PM
Friday and Saturday: 11:30 AM - 10:00 PM
Sunday: 11:30 AM - 9:00 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Alfred Hand
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Our casual eatery, PREP, located adjacent to the restaurant offers carry away dining and catering options
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact us via email to learn of our private dining options
A word from Main Restaurant & Oyster Bar
MAIN Restaurant & Oyster Bar is a casual restaurant started by James Beard award winning & former White House Chef Keith Luce. MAIN features an oyster bar & specializes in local seafood and modern takes on American comfort favorites. It is located in the heart of Historic Stirling Square in Greenport, NY The restaurant is part of a larger food & beverage concept named THE SQUARE which also features PREP-where guests my find flatbread pizzas and cured meats, NOSH-which features housemade ice creams, baked goods, salads, sandwiches, teas and coffees and MEET-an exciting new take on a wine and spirit tasting room & artisan food shop.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Main Restaurant & Oyster Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
- invitingRaiseDined on 11/29/2013very light and easy-going. nothing fancy... just down to earth. good service, food, friendly atmosphere. all good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Long drive, but definitely worth itBrooklynDinerDined on 10/13/2013If you're coming from NYC, don't underestimate the drive, but plan for it and enjoy this wonderful restaurant. We wanted to celebrate a birthday and decided to take our friend to Main. Our meal was delicious: crab cakes, blue fish with hot potato salad, steamed clams. All of it cooked perfectly; seasonings subtle and well tuned. Just one disappointment: the "cherry" tart was more apples than cherries and the crust heavy. So choose another dessert and enjoy!Special Features:
- limitedfrancoDined on 10/12/2013Very limited menu.. waitress was honest about food prep... was there 2 years back.. either owner changed or menu changed.. I would try lunch not dinner.. Next time we are trying Noah's in GreenportSpecial Features:
- Potential, but no...AC33VIPDined on 9/28/2013Maybe if you sit outside on the patio, the short and not that appealing menu is less problematic. While the oysters were great, Montauks, the rest of our meals (steak, burgers, po'boy) were ok but not worth the price. The inside dining room is so much brighter than it needs to be that it's disconcerting; I came to EAT my dinner, not operate on it. And while the service is friendly and mostly good, there are a lot of seemingly extra staff floating around the dining room doing noone is quite sure what. This place has every opportunity to be good: great location, nice bar, terrific indoor/outdoor space. But tiny portions and limited menu options will make me avoid it in future.
- The food w.as heavy and boring.DinniGordoDined on 9/16/2013The food w.as heavy and boring. Lobster roll was barely seasoned and atop a heavy bun. The peach tart was encased in a leaden strip of dough. The mussels were good, however, with a nice creamy sauce.
- Great business lunch!SHVHDined on 9/14/2013Had a great business lunch here today! The wait staff was attentive, but not overbearing and the food was just perfect! Great place - highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointeddinealotDined on 8/31/2013Have eaten here before and it was good. Very disappointed in my dinner, it was almost tasteless. Others thought there's was OK good, but not great. Noise level was very high. Appitizers were pricey, but the portions were big. Service was slow, but it was a holiday weekend.Special Features:
- great seafood2nluvDined on 8/30/2013Had a great time and great food at Main. Had early dinner (6pm) on Labor day weekend. Served right away. Had the duck wing and gumbo app. Which were very good. Then shared the seafood tower of raw oysters,clams,shrimp, crab salad and split lobster. Seafood was fresh and delicious. We will be back !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I had a beautiful birthdayflowerladyDined on 8/29/2013I had a beautiful birthday dinner celebration, good food, and service ( a little slow getting started but once in gear efficient), very accommodating staff . A customer friendly neighborhood place for very good cuisine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstanding oysterouting celebratioLuv2eatoutoftenDined on 8/28/2013this was a Birthday outing for a good friend who loves Oysters She swooned over her Prince Edward Island oysters and I was happy with my Caribbean Spicy Lobster dish The waitress graciously offered us. desserts on the house in honor of my friends' birthday. It was A lovely evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Read previous reviews...spot onOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/26/2013When I read a negative review, I just assume the reviewer is a "glass is half-empty" kind of person. The negative reviews for this place are legitimate. Shame on me for not taking them seriously. I won't go into details because what I would submit is pretty much the same as what other reviewers submitted. The service is probably the worst I have ever seen an upscale casual place. Please properly train your staff! It's important! So very disappointed. We only had two nights in Greenport and this night was definitely a bust. By the way, we went on a Monday...I'd hate to see a weekend night.
- Very good "local" restaurantClausDined on 8/25/2013Very nice restaurant. Food was interesting and very nicely prepared and very well tasting. The Menu is interesting and different. The wine list was not that impressive but the wines were priced affordable and though not the most known wines the variety was good. The restaurant's atmosphere was interesting and though not exactly showing of the local flair nor the ":expectation in a whaling town, it was OK! We would definitely be back if it is not for the local number of restaurants that are competing for your business....we would go and try out another place before going back, but would not be disappointed if someone suggested meeting us back here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- InconsistentNSMANLIVIPDined on 8/24/2013Went for dinner on a Saturday night. The place was lively and busy. We ordered one appetizer to share and two entrees. the appetizer was not impressive. Crab meat appetizer had no flavor and was disappointing. My date ordered a drink that was improperly made and was in a pint glass for a Mohito. (watered down or mis measured) we sent it back and the waitress did apologize. The entrees were good and larger portions than we expected. The tuna was huge and cooked appropriately, Nice try but we will be venturing elsewhere on our next Greenport trip.
- Great Food.........poor serviceTommyDined on 8/23/2013We went on Friday for a 9:30 reservation. we went to tasting room first. Very cool. great experience. they took us at 9:30 to "Main" OK. no waiter came for 40 minutes...even then we had to ask for service. other table near us left due to same reason. when they did deliver dinners, they forgot 2 out of the 6 dinners. we couldn't find a server to tell them! then we ate and the food was fantastic. we then asked for the check, it was delivered and no one came back for it. I had to get up and find someone else to run the card. I hope this gets fixed!Special Features:
- Food was good. Lively atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2013Food was good. Lively atmosphere with a later night crowd. Waiters seemed overwhelmed. I would try it again on a weekday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were excited to try KeithChefHRSDined on 8/23/2013We were excited to try Keith Luce's new restaurant but walked away disappointed. The componets of our $19.00 lobster Cobb salad were meager but since the lobster and the salad lacked flavor it didn't really matter. The greens were not dressed but because the salad bowl was so small the requested additional dressing could not be applied properly. The signature duck wings were quite tasty.Our friends lobster roll suffered the same characteristics as our Cobb. I am mystified by the lackluster food since I always enjoyed Luce 's food when he was the chef at Jededuah Hawkins House.Special Features:
- Truly horribleOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/22/2013We went there based on last weeks NY Times review . Waited 5 minutes to be acknowlged.Waited another 5 minutes to be asked for a drink. The oldest person on the wait staff was 18 There was no "adult supervison" Although the kids were adorable Thats all they were Had to send two drinks back. I did not send back my warm martini.. The food was bland . Every table around us was shaking their heads. This is the first bad review (or any review) I have ever written Im contemplating canceling my NY Times subscriction!
- would have loved itPickyDined on 8/17/2013If we could have had a seat outdoors. The appetizers were very good. We shared duck wings (who knew they could be so good) and fritto mist. Two of us ordered the tuna. It could have fed a family of 6!! We brought it home and fed 4 for lunch the next day after we scraped off the hot hot sauce on top.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A summer hot spot with interestingOysterponderVIPDined on 8/17/2013A summer hot spot with interesting local cuisine. Appetizer half lobster with lobster salad is a meal in itself. Same for barbecued pork in lettuce wraps. Expanded outdoor seating helps with crowds that appear on wknds. Service eager but spotty; waits will occur with long absences of waitstaff. We'll be back as long as the warm weather prevails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty in GreenportOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 8/17/2013MAIN is a fun concept restaurant - it's more of a neighborhood of food, with MAIN as one part of The Square, and NOSH, PREP and MEET as the sister eateries. MAIN, however, is the elder statesman of the bunch, with a large, outside patio and intricate dishes. Although the menu claims the dishes are meant to eat community style and share, we didn't find this the case with the main dishes, only the first course items. Crab cakes and the BBQ pork wraps were delicious; the fish special for the night, sea bass, pasta with lamb meatballs and duck rounded out our second course. A tasty but expensive meal, it's definitely worth a visit if you are in the area.Special Features:
- Mediocre food served poorlyBritLoves2eatDined on 8/15/2013Arrived at 6:30 before peak time and placed our order. We had to check after 10 minutes to see why the little necks were taking so long. The waitress stated that she had put the order in an wasn't sure where they were but would check. She returned immediately with the clams (obviously forgot to pick them up). Appetizers arrived after another 10 minutes and checking again. Entrees were the longest wait - it was 7:30 before they arrived. We ate quickly but the food wasn't great. The kid's chicken looked like it was frozen, the fish stew was salty and the waitress never even asked how I wanted my (leathery) steam cooked). We won't be going back. Nor will some of the other customers we saw leaving before their food had even arrived.
- Excellent addition to Greenport!AnneNYCDined on 8/12/2013Had an early dinner with our two young kids on a weeknight on the outside patio. We shared crab cocktail, lobster Cobb salad and a dozen oysters. Kids had from the kid menu. Service was friendly and attentive. Food was delicious and very fresh tasting. After, we enjoyed our gelatos out in the square. Looking forward to trying takeout window next. Fun concept using the location to keep us coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food remains pretty good,njk1979Dined on 8/10/2013The food remains pretty good, but the service / management has noticeably down-graded from the restaurant's previous iteration (North Fork Oyster Co.).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Comfortable & pleasantOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/10/2013Loved the variety of foods as my husband is not a fish fan. However one person was very pleased with the oysters. Lobster cobb salad was excellent as was the lobster roll. Steak special was very good. Loved the different price point items. We ate inside which was noisy due to lots of children. Waitress was attentive but all l foods should have been delivered at one time. We will return definitely.Special Features:
- Favorite Restaurant on NOFOqwerty8VIPDined on 8/10/2013Could eat here twice a week. Great food, friendly service and reasonable prices. Portions are huge (doggie bag required.)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The computer was downOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/8/2013It began when we finally got to order drinks. One of our party of six wanted a non-alcoholic beer; two wanted a glass of Pinot Grigio. After a wait, the waitress told us they were out of both! Out of Pinot Grigio?? Then there was the wait to order. A very long wait. I had to summon the hostess to get help. Finally, we got to order. And finally, the food came. The mussels were good, fries OK. And the chef or someone came out to apologize, said the computer was down. Brought us a gratis martini. But what had meant to be a pleasant evening for six old friends, turned into an ordeal. Not a pleasant dining experience. Sorry, Main, you are off my list.
- Terrible experiencebesitoVIPDined on 8/2/2013Where to start. Ran out of two items that we ordered and informed us about 20 minutes after the fact. Then served a 42 oz steak which was likely frozen because about an hour later after everyone around us was served- our meal was brought out cooked rare on the middle and well done on the outside. The entire experience was awful! I will be calling the restaurant to explain but I really cannot believe how one night out at a restaurant provided us with such a terrible experience. I am not one to complain but we were flabbergasted by the entire experience. I just hope they can turn this restaurant around. There was so much complaining going on from other people there- we hope they can make some changes. otherwise the place is doomed.
- Keith Luce has taken overstanleybrowntVIPDined on 7/28/2013Keith Luce has taken over the space formerly occupied by the North Fork Oyster Company, and the rest of Stirling Square too. Delicious food, with creative combinations, as anyone who enjoyed his food at Luce & Hawkins would expect. Good, friendly service. Hard surfaces make for a noisy place when busy -- some tapestries on the back wall would help allow us to talk with each other!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Have a good appetiteEricmmVIPDined on 7/27/2013Be forewarned- the portions here are huge! All of us just ordered appetizers as our main dish, yet each was so big we could barely finish. The food is excellent...best fritto misto I have ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, slow kitchenBill5VIPDined on 7/26/2013The food was absolutely great, large portions and wonderfully taste. We has apps of a salad & duck wi gs which were great. cor entree's i had the largest pirce of filet i have see. & my wife had the baymans stew which was wonderful. Unfortunately the kitchen could 't seem to catch up. It took over 40 minutes for our salad and wings to come out. Then as we were barley finishing Those the entree's were served. Again the kitchen just couldn't get it right. We would definay go there again. But be better prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a delicious meal!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/20/2013Been here many times and can't say enough about the food! Well executed oyster menu and delicious traditional fish house options with a modern twist! Don't miss the rest of The Square PREP flatbread pizzas are to die for!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely new spot in GreenportNycseattleVIPDined on 7/18/2013Great hand with seafood...very generous portions and we loved our fishermans stew! We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Appetizers and oysters wereDanBVIPDined on 7/14/2013Appetizers and oysters were great. The fish of the day was pricey, a bit overcooked, and under-flavored. Consider making a meal of starters.Special Features:
- Worthy successorEricmmVIPDined on 7/13/2013Great place...better than the former restaurant at this site, and a worthy successor to Luce and Hawkins. Huge portions and great food...many dishes could easily be shared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing addition to the North ForkMetroDadNYCVIPDined on 7/13/2013This place is so fantastic, I don't even know where to begin. Let's start with the food. The chef is a James Beard award winner so expectations were high. I'm happy to say they were exceeded at every level. Incredible raw bar. Amazing salads. Menu highlights: spaghetti with clams, filet mignon, lobster, mussels, and local fish of the day. Did I mention the spaghetti with clams? Seriously, it might be better at Main than any top Italian place in NYC. Service was super friendly. Cocktails were delicious. Wines were affordable and diverse (great selection of local wines.) Fantastic new addition to the North Fork. We loved it.Special Features:
- A Main attraction in GreenportbreezygirlDined on 7/13/2013Had a lovely dinner with 5 girlfriends on July 13th. The potion sizes are generous so you may want to share appetizers to start. I heard the crabcakes are not to be missed.The featured salmon dish the night we were there was outstanding. We also enjoyed the steak and seasoned fries. We shared 2 desserts between 5 of us as we were pretty full, but couldn't resist the key lime pie and peaches or cream ice cream (yum!). Our waitress was delightful & attentive. The menu changes frequently which is nice as you get to try the same item prepared differently on repeat visits. I know I'll be back. I think Main is a wonderful new Greenport gem. Go, you will not be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bang for your buckDukeDined on 7/13/2013It was a plesant change to go out to dinner and not have to take a second mortgage to pay the bill. My wife and I each enjoyed a glass of wine with dinner, split a large appetizer and had entries under $ 30.00. Our bill not including tax was under $ 100.00; a rarity these days !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely outsideVacagirlyummyDined on 7/8/2013Ask to sit outside!!!! Can not vouch for indoors but romantic, delicious food!! The food really really good :))Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best new addition to the North ForkJSGNYVIPDined on 7/6/2013Greenport finally has a traditional Fish house! Main has excellent food and great prices. Duck wings are fall of the bone delicious, best oyster menu in town and I have had several of the entre's in which none have disappointed. Spending a day at The Square is one of the best ways to enjoy Greenport. Make sure you try anything Chef Luce prepares out of Prep as well Flatbread Pizza's are incredible and creative. Looking forward to checking out the final addition the The Square, Meet which will be a tasting room!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needs workJoepaVIPDined on 7/6/2013Duck wings almost as good as at Jedidiah,still awesome. Pork wraps,clam chowder and salad disappointing. Hope it improves.