2 Lexington Avenue
New York, NY 10010Neighborhood:
Gramercy / Flatiron
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://maialinonyc.com/
- Phone: 2127772410
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday 7:30am - 10:00am
Lunch: Monday - Friday noon - 2:00pm
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday 10:00am - 2:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Nick Anderer
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Cafe, Full Bar, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Our communal table in the private dining room seats up to 22 guests and is available for events and celebrations.
- Private Party Contact: Amanda Kehr 2127772410
A word from Maialino
Maialino is a Roman-inspired trattoria from Danny Meyer’s Union Square Hospitality Group, located in Gramercy Park. Maialino captures the warmth and comfort of a true neighborhood trattoria, with a menu that celebrates the restaurant's ongoing relationship with its local family of farmers and suppliers. Executive Chef Nick Anderer draws inspiration from the Roman cooking tradition to create soulful food, reflective of the rich culture of both Rome and New York.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Maialino reviews from OpenTable diners
346 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (226)special occasion (151)neighborhood gem (138)great for lunch (119)great for brunch (110)notable wine list (109)romantic (81)hot spot (79)vibrant bar scene (68)good for groups (65)scenic view (24)late-night find (19)kid-friendly (18)Show More
- MaialinoOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/28/2014Service impeccable as always - yet something has changed with the quality of the food. Perhaps the menu choices, but the bread isn't as fresh and the eggs were undercooked. This is sad because Maialino has been my favorite brunch spot for years. I hope it was just this experience - as I said service is amazing but the food was not the way it used to be. I hope it goes back to the way it used to be.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EatoutVIPDined on 9/28/2014Very slow service. Took over 20 minutes for espresso
- A great experience all roundTimTravelerDined on 9/27/2014Great service from arrival to departure; classically excellent food, with no unnecessary fussiness; and a very pleasant dining room. A very wide selection of starters and pastas, we were not disappointed. For the main course three of us shared the slow-cooked piglet - the eponymous Maialino - which was melt-in-the-mouth tasty, served with rosemary potatoes. Desserts were also excellent: pain au chocolat bread and butter pudding; plum tart with brown butter ice cream. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for special occasionMrABDined on 9/27/2014My experience here was great. Our waitress was really interested in making sure we had a great dining experience. The wine she suggested for us was great and paired well with our meals, too. The malfatti was really delicious. The veal and sirloin were too. And dessert was great. This is a great place to go when you're looking for quality Italian that isn't standard red sauce fare or if you're looking for a place for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Artichokes the best in the worldSusanVIPDined on 9/27/2014The food is so fantastic and the experience is just wonderful. If you go, you must order the artichokes...once you eat them you will dream of them!Special Features:
- Great for brunchRosieVIPDined on 9/27/2014I enjoyed my meal here. The waitstaff was very nice, maybe a little slow with getting an order. The verde drink was refreshing and the lamb chops with egg and salsa verde was excellent. The side heirloom tomato salad was just ok - don't feel that it was really worth the $10 price point. Overall, I think I would return if in the area againSpecial Features:
- impress your guestsChantboyVIPDined on 9/26/2014Made reservations for myself and two friends from out of town. They were impressed with everything - the ambiance, the service, and the food. The lunch prix fixe is also an outstanding value.Special Features:
- A hit and a misspinkbugVIPDined on 9/26/2014We have been to Maialino several times and never have been disappointed. . . until now. Although the food was prepared and presented in its usual excellent fashion, this lunch was ruined by very inattentive service. The waiter would disappear for long periods, and when asked for something simple like a fork, he would not return until the food was cold. This happened recurrently (we never did get the sweetener for our ice coffee, even after he was reminded.) We'll try again since we live on the park, but will make sure we avoid this particular waiter.Special Features:
- SuperbTobycatVIPDined on 9/24/2014A birthday dinner for 4 was splendid throughout. The service was exceptional - attentive, friendly, helpful and thoughtful. The sommelier was a real pro providing excellent guidance and suggestions. We were never rushed or hurried. The food was superb. Appetizers were exc lent and highlighted by the white truffle shavings fondue. The mains too were excellent led again by a truffle highlighted ravioli. The fish was excellent and the traditional cace e pepe was excellent and nicely spiced. Would return again for sure.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/24/2014Had lunch with a friend who had not been yet and she loved it. Food and service were fabulous; it was great. I feel badly I cannot remember the name of a gentleman who took extra special care of us……can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- missedDined on 9/24/2014The people were friendly and attentive. I was placed at a nice table and the ambiance was warm and inviting. The disappointment was with the food. I had an omelet that was fairly tasteless and there was a wilted salad dumped on top. It was not with the feel of a "Roman" presence,- and the breakfast, with which the reviews were raving about left me empty. I wasn't asked if I wanted any bread or side order,- which normally one receives with an omelet. overall, I think the hype going into the restaurant with is what made the disappointment so much greater.
- DisappointedzimzumDined on 9/23/2014Generally speaking, we were disappointed with food and menu choices. We were surprised at the lack of salad/greens available. Chef had a heavy hand with salt. Halibut was dry and boring. Wine very good. Dessert delicious.
- We ate every morseldunesgirlDined on 9/20/2014Holy bananas this restaurant is one of my top faves in the city now. Every dish was a taste explosion. Loved the artichokes and the potato skins. Even my simple pasta was fabulous. The ambiance and decor is so lovely and relaxing. They gave us a table in the far back corner which meant quiet and we were so happy! (Until a staff meeting started around us and our waitress disappeared; but we did start lunch late at 2p.) Will go back again and again.Special Features:
- Greatboyslovefood227VIPDined on 9/18/2014I surprised my boyfriend for his 41st birthday with dinner at Maialino and asked if they could make the night memorable. They definitely did. We had the chef's tasting menu and it was delicious. The staff was extremely friendly and the GM even came over at one part of the night to wish him a happy birthday in person. He is still talking about what a great time he had. We will definitely be back again!Special Features:
- AmazingbdaydinnerDined on 9/17/2014Celebrated my boyfriend's birthday here and it couldn't have been better. The staff went above and beyond to make our night special. The Maialino pig special is phenomenal. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming Italian on Gramarcy ParkGothamFoodieVIPDined on 9/17/2014I have been here several times for business lunches. Always good. Charming, sunlit, warm wood and window lighting, with views of Gramercy Park. Food is excellent, upscale Italian. Smallish portions, but right-sized for lunch. Relatively quiet corner walkable from midtown East. Not as crowded as in past visits, but still lively. Consistently great. Had a celery salad as a starter that was little less interesting than its description, clean but a little bland, and great Cavatelli with lamb sausage. OK biscotti and surprisingly good French press coffee.Special Features:
- my favorite Italian in all of NYCclaudiayDined on 9/16/2014A memorable meal. No missteps whatsoever. Truly an incredible Italian restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/14/2014Service was amazing. I forgot to take a portion of my wrapped unfinished meal with me. I called the restaurant when I realized my error and a representative delivered it to me! Amazing!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Brunch PlaceCookieDined on 9/14/2014there were 4 of us for brunch and the food was not your regular brunch. We had soft eggs with pepper which were more like an egg soup. The flvor was great, but the consistency was not something I'm used to. We also had a ham n egg sandwich which was great. The ricotta pancakes were our favorite item. They were so light and fluffy and came with an amazing fruit sauce and syrup. I would go back for that! the last thing we had was the poached eggs over corn. it was very good, but not a huge portion. We also got a pastry basket that was full of delish goodies. The cappuccino was very good as well.Special Features:
- Superb!Gramercy2014VIPDined on 9/12/2014Our dining experience at Maialino can only be described as perfect. The service was attentive and on target. The servers always came to the table with a smile. The food was exquisite, if you go, you must try their signature dish, the suckling pig, it was a generous portion and delicious. Everyone at our table was beyond satisfied with their meals. We can't wait to go again and try their brunch. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- somewhat disappointednormDined on 9/11/2014this was my third time at maialino. food has always been very good. this time however the seafood brodetto was oversalted.and not enjoyable. the first course was up to their usual standards. the staff was very attentive and service was excellent. they were aware that it was our 65th anniversary and went out of their way to please. sent us home with a bag full of goodies. dessert was excellent as well.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stellar Food!LauraBDined on 9/8/2014Truly a great experience. Went with my son and we had a truly unique experience. Everything was delicious and no details were spared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hellohandymckayDined on 9/8/2014We had a very nice lunch. The pacing of the courses was very slow for weekday lunch, though. I was fine because it was a casual lunch with a friend but for a business lunch it would have been too slow.
- Lovely nightFooDivaDined on 9/7/2014We enjoyed a delicious meal in a warm contemporary setting at Maialino to celebrate our 14th wedding anniversary. The standouts of our meal were the Malfatti pasta with pork and arugula and the mushroom side dish. Portions are modest, so if really hungry consider sides and/or family dining option for whole table. What really shines here is the service. Our evening started at bar with short wait for our table. Bartender was terrific and knowledgable. Our waitress was warm and exceedingly helpful. Fitting place for special dinner, but atmosphere lends itself to small groups as noise level can be enthusiastic at times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was terribleOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/7/2014The food was amazing as always but the service was terrible. Our waitress forgot our drinks so they arrived after we reminded her and right before the good; when we ordered coffee had to remind her to check on it. Nowhere to be found when we wanted the check so asked for it on the way to the bathroom and she didn't know where we were sitting.Special Features:
- First TimerFoodLoverDined on 9/4/2014I chose Maialino mostly for the location for a business lunch and also because it was a Danny Meyer's restaurant. What a find! The food was truly Roman italian, the wine was excellent and the selections really wonderful. And the staff was friendly, attentive but not overbearing. I look forward to going back.Special Features:
- all you need is lovecalabriaDined on 9/2/2014Nothing special at all about this food. I didn't believe the poor reviews I'd read cause I didn't want to. Beautiful website and a friend of mine raved about the place. Specifically the bucatini - that friend of mine is now in an idiot category I keep. C'est la vie. Avoid the tall thin Asian server - cause he will avoid you. Seriously. We never saw him. There were scores of empty tables around so it's not cause it was busy. On a positive note - a girl named Grace made our coffees. I haven't had a better cappuccino anywhere. Great work young lady. The host that greeted us was brilliantly sincere and fun to be around. Cocktails; excellent. The food lacks heart, simply put. The one ingredient necessary for Italian food to work.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/1/2014Good dining experience, food and wine up to expectation but compromised by sullen arrogant lead waiter - should have left him just one dollar but there were other staff to acknowledge so we did the decent thingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gramercy Park Gem - MaialinoChunkyDined on 8/31/2014You wont be disappointed. Situated in the decadent Gramercy ParK Hotel, you are greeted by towering ceilings, a roaring log fire and the huge glass chandelier in the hotel's lobby. Turn a sharp left and in slight contrast to its surroundings you enter the more relaxed, rustic Maialino. Delicious french cuisine with a sumptuous wine list to match. Particular favorites for us were the carbonara and an extremely delicate dish of fresh cod. Start with a cocktail, they're delicious.Special Features:
- Wonderful!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/31/2014We LOVED our brunch here and will be returning often. So fresh and delicious! You won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodieVIPDined on 8/28/2014We seem to have had a completely inexperienced waitress and that made a pleasant lunch difficult. someone else finally came around to help us and that was a big difference. .
- sunshineVIPDined on 8/24/2014We have been coming here for some time for special occasions and the most recent one was no exception. How welcome the staff makes you feel. From the "Happy Birthday" card already on our reserved table to all of the extras in celebration of my husband's 75th birthday, everything was just right. The menu and drink list are a treat and there are many excellent choices. You can never go wrong here with such fine fare and a staff that is so hospitable, a Danny Meyer trademark, and professional.I would recommend this to a friend.
- great findluv2tryplacesDined on 8/24/2014great food. We tried various pastas, caprese salad and the steak tartar and all were terrific.Special Features:
- Amazing!ClaumorabDined on 8/23/2014Went with my husband to celebrate his birthday! Everything was very good, the food amazing and fresh. I'll definitely go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NiceKalleDined on 8/22/2014Very nice restaurant with great food! Service was excellent and good location close to Madison Avenue.Special Features:
- great mealnolanycDined on 8/22/2014Had the let us chose for you menu and it was wonderful! Went for a birthday dinner- staff was very friendly and engaging. Would defiantly recommend this place! I will be back!Special Features:
- Another great Meyer restaurantJohnLDined on 8/20/2014My goal, to eat at every Danny Meyer restaurant is nearly complete with a great night at Maialino. The location like all of Danny's restaurants is located on a park square which provides a nice view out the windows. The layout of the restaurant with multiple sections, bar, coffee bar and dining room is open yet cozy. The service is its usual attentive and friendly. The food was outstanding. We had a Salami platter with olives and a roasted asparagus as an appetizer, both were terrific but the hit of the night was their famous suckling pig with potatoes. It was perfectly prepared, tasted wonderful and is a guilty indulgence. Desert was a slice of olive cake and a delicious cup of coffee. Overall an excellent, high recommended restaurant.Special Features:
- Wonderful experienceLeeya448Dined on 8/18/2014From the food to the wine to the service, dinner here was perfection and it felt more like an experience than just dinner. We were treated like VIPs, and my gluten free dairy free allergy stricken boyfriend had an amazing meal here. We want to go every day! Also, the bill was about $100 less than I was expecting, this will be our go to special occasion restaurant for now on. Ps- I'm Italian and felt like I was eating pasta at home with my family, hard to find in a restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent in Every CategoryChetDined on 8/17/2014Professional service, excellent food, comprehensive wine list, knowledgably discussed.Special Features:
- Great food.reviewernicknameDined on 8/17/2014Maialino is a great restaurant with excellent food and outstanding service. I went here for brunch, as this restaurant has an excellent reputation for quality food. A few (tiny) drawbacks: A small chocolate chip and salt cookie (just one) for $3. Really? (Literally the size of a chips ahoy). It was very delicious. Also, they provided a delicious bread basket with no butter, olive oil, jam, or anything. It felt odd (and dry). When I pointed it out to the waitress I kind of expected a "oh no, we forgot to bring you olive oil?!?!" but instead got a more unexpected "oh, you want olive oil?" Other than these relatively minor things, staff was very attentive, food was prompt, and everything tasted exquisite.Special Features: