2 Lexington Avenue
New York, NY 10010Neighborhood:
Gramercy / Flatiron
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://maialinonyc.com/
- Phone: (212) 777-2410
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday 7:30am - 10:00am
Lunch: Monday - Friday noon - 2:00pm
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday 10:00am - 2:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Nick Anderer
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Cafe, Full Bar, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Our communal table in the private dining room seats up to 22 guests and is available for events and celebrations.
- Private Party Contact: Amanda Kehr 2127772410
A word from Maialino
Maialino is a Roman-inspired trattoria from Danny Meyer’s Union Square Hospitality Group, located in Gramercy Park. Maialino captures the warmth and comfort of a true neighborhood trattoria, with a menu that celebrates the restaurant's ongoing relationship with its local family of farmers and suppliers. Executive Chef Nick Anderer draws inspiration from the Roman cooking tradition to create soulful food, reflective of the rich culture of both Rome and New York.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Maialino reviews from OpenTable diners
340 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (239)neighborhood gem (145)special occasion (137)notable wine list (110)great for lunch (105)hot spot (104)great for brunch (103)vibrant bar scene (78)romantic (71)good for groups (69)late-night find (17)scenic view (16)kid-friendly (13)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Wonderful mealsalEdawgzDined on 10/6/2014Really good food in a relaxed feel atmosphere. Professional and friendly service. The pig face salad was very different and never thought i'd see a dish like this in any restaurant. The suckling pig ribs were simply prepared and delicious. We had the strozzapreti pasta prepared with the almond and tomatoe pesto (I believe this is a Sicilian "Pesto Trapanese"), tripe antipasto, truffled mushrooms and several drinks. Everything was fabulous and I'm looking forward to returning to try some of the other dishes on the menu. Definitely a must try if you're a "foodie." And don't skip on the dessert! I had the fruit crostata with a brown butter gelato. Great!Special Features:
- FrannyDined on 10/5/2014surprisingly good with ample portions. staff was attentive and constantly refilled water and generally appeared genuinely interested in us having a good time. Wine was explained and all in all was a great experience. Location next to the park was an added bonus. usually hotel restaurants are a bit stuffy but this was not.Special Features:
- Service flawedMarieMarieDined on 10/5/2014Brunch. I ordered ricotta pancakes.. My husband ordered two pasteries. We asked for our cappuccinos to be served first. They were not. First, one pastry came and 15 minutes later, his second pastry, not warmed. He asked to have it warmed and brought when my pancakes were served. It came back cold. Pancakes and cappucinos exquisite, however.Special Features:
- One of the bestDowntownfoodieVIPDined on 10/3/2014Maialino is one of the best restaurants! Fabulous food, wine, and service combine to present a perfect dining experience.Special Features:
- Mmmm bucatini!AMEPVIPDined on 10/1/2014As much as I enjoyed the pork, the next day I couldn't stop thinking about the bucatini. As well as delicious food, it is a beautiful atmosphere. I love this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pig HeavenSVBDDined on 9/29/2014One of the best meals I have had in years - the signature dish was spectacular and the fried baby artichokes were better than ones I had in Rome in June. and of course the pastas!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MaialinoFoodloverDined on 9/28/2014Service impeccable as always - yet something has changed with the quality of the food. Perhaps the menu choices, but the bread isn't as fresh and the eggs were undercooked. This is sad because Maialino has been my favorite brunch spot for years. I hope it was just this experience - as I said service is amazing but the food was not the way it used to be. I hope it goes back to the way it used to be.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EatoutVIPDined on 9/28/2014Very slow service. Took over 20 minutes for espresso
- A great experience all roundTimTravelerDined on 9/27/2014Great service from arrival to departure; classically excellent food, with no unnecessary fussiness; and a very pleasant dining room. A very wide selection of starters and pastas, we were not disappointed. For the main course three of us shared the slow-cooked piglet - the eponymous Maialino - which was melt-in-the-mouth tasty, served with rosemary potatoes. Desserts were also excellent: pain au chocolat bread and butter pudding; plum tart with brown butter ice cream. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for special occasionMrABDined on 9/27/2014My experience here was great. Our waitress was really interested in making sure we had a great dining experience. The wine she suggested for us was great and paired well with our meals, too. The malfatti was really delicious. The veal and sirloin were too. And dessert was great. This is a great place to go when you're looking for quality Italian that isn't standard red sauce fare or if you're looking for a place for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Artichokes the best in the worldSusanVIPDined on 9/27/2014The food is so fantastic and the experience is just wonderful. If you go, you must order the artichokes...once you eat them you will dream of them!Special Features:
- Great for brunchRosieVIPDined on 9/27/2014I enjoyed my meal here. The waitstaff was very nice, maybe a little slow with getting an order. The verde drink was refreshing and the lamb chops with egg and salsa verde was excellent. The side heirloom tomato salad was just ok - don't feel that it was really worth the $10 price point. Overall, I think I would return if in the area againSpecial Features:
- impress your guestsChantboyVIPDined on 9/26/2014Made reservations for myself and two friends from out of town. They were impressed with everything - the ambiance, the service, and the food. The lunch prix fixe is also an outstanding value.Special Features:
- A hit and a misspinkbugVIPDined on 9/26/2014We have been to Maialino several times and never have been disappointed. . . until now. Although the food was prepared and presented in its usual excellent fashion, this lunch was ruined by very inattentive service. The waiter would disappear for long periods, and when asked for something simple like a fork, he would not return until the food was cold. This happened recurrently (we never did get the sweetener for our ice coffee, even after he was reminded.) We'll try again since we live on the park, but will make sure we avoid this particular waiter.Special Features:
- SuperbTobycatVIPDined on 9/24/2014A birthday dinner for 4 was splendid throughout. The service was exceptional - attentive, friendly, helpful and thoughtful. The sommelier was a real pro providing excellent guidance and suggestions. We were never rushed or hurried. The food was superb. Appetizers were exc lent and highlighted by the white truffle shavings fondue. The mains too were excellent led again by a truffle highlighted ravioli. The fish was excellent and the traditional cace e pepe was excellent and nicely spiced. Would return again for sure.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/24/2014Had lunch with a friend who had not been yet and she loved it. Food and service were fabulous; it was great. I feel badly I cannot remember the name of a gentleman who took extra special care of us……can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- missedDined on 9/24/2014The people were friendly and attentive. I was placed at a nice table and the ambiance was warm and inviting. The disappointment was with the food. I had an omelet that was fairly tasteless and there was a wilted salad dumped on top. It was not with the feel of a "Roman" presence,- and the breakfast, with which the reviews were raving about left me empty. I wasn't asked if I wanted any bread or side order,- which normally one receives with an omelet. overall, I think the hype going into the restaurant with is what made the disappointment so much greater.
- DisappointedzimzumDined on 9/23/2014Generally speaking, we were disappointed with food and menu choices. We were surprised at the lack of salad/greens available. Chef had a heavy hand with salt. Halibut was dry and boring. Wine very good. Dessert delicious.
- We ate every morseldunesgirlDined on 9/20/2014Holy bananas this restaurant is one of my top faves in the city now. Every dish was a taste explosion. Loved the artichokes and the potato skins. Even my simple pasta was fabulous. The ambiance and decor is so lovely and relaxing. They gave us a table in the far back corner which meant quiet and we were so happy! (Until a staff meeting started around us and our waitress disappeared; but we did start lunch late at 2p.) Will go back again and again.Special Features:
- Greatboyslovefood227VIPDined on 9/18/2014I surprised my boyfriend for his 41st birthday with dinner at Maialino and asked if they could make the night memorable. They definitely did. We had the chef's tasting menu and it was delicious. The staff was extremely friendly and the GM even came over at one part of the night to wish him a happy birthday in person. He is still talking about what a great time he had. We will definitely be back again!Special Features:
- AmazingbdaydinnerDined on 9/17/2014Celebrated my boyfriend's birthday here and it couldn't have been better. The staff went above and beyond to make our night special. The Maialino pig special is phenomenal. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming Italian on Gramarcy ParkGothamFoodieVIPDined on 9/17/2014I have been here several times for business lunches. Always good. Charming, sunlit, warm wood and window lighting, with views of Gramercy Park. Food is excellent, upscale Italian. Smallish portions, but right-sized for lunch. Relatively quiet corner walkable from midtown East. Not as crowded as in past visits, but still lively. Consistently great. Had a celery salad as a starter that was little less interesting than its description, clean but a little bland, and great Cavatelli with lamb sausage. OK biscotti and surprisingly good French press coffee.Special Features:
- my favorite Italian in all of NYCclaudiayDined on 9/16/2014A memorable meal. No missteps whatsoever. Truly an incredible Italian restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Maialino - Monday & FridayOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/14/2014Dinner was enlightened hospitality in action--unpretentious excellence. Denise, my server, was right to recommend the Crudo of fluke carpaccio with a citrus melon twist, pairing with Benanti bianco. The Terredora do Paolo rosso, on Denise's rec, was great with the Malfati suckling pig pasta. which was rustic and exquisite in one bite. Reminded me of a dish of my grandmother's--I loved it and sopped up the parsley highlighted sauce. I ended with bread pudding and Dindarelli moscato. I returned 4 days later with my wife. Macklen was a wonderful server. Wife started with the Testarella al Maialino, and we laughed and delighted, and then she had the white truffle special -- a decadent treat. My meal was excellent, too.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/14/2014Service was amazing. I forgot to take a portion of my wrapped unfinished meal with me. I called the restaurant when I realized my error and a representative delivered it to me! Amazing!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Brunch PlaceCookieDined on 9/14/2014there were 4 of us for brunch and the food was not your regular brunch. We had soft eggs with pepper which were more like an egg soup. The flvor was great, but the consistency was not something I'm used to. We also had a ham n egg sandwich which was great. The ricotta pancakes were our favorite item. They were so light and fluffy and came with an amazing fruit sauce and syrup. I would go back for that! the last thing we had was the poached eggs over corn. it was very good, but not a huge portion. We also got a pastry basket that was full of delish goodies. The cappuccino was very good as well.Special Features:
- Superb!Gramercy2014VIPDined on 9/12/2014Our dining experience at Maialino can only be described as perfect. The service was attentive and on target. The servers always came to the table with a smile. The food was exquisite, if you go, you must try their signature dish, the suckling pig, it was a generous portion and delicious. Everyone at our table was beyond satisfied with their meals. We can't wait to go again and try their brunch. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- somewhat disappointednormDined on 9/11/2014this was my third time at maialino. food has always been very good. this time however the seafood brodetto was oversalted.and not enjoyable. the first course was up to their usual standards. the staff was very attentive and service was excellent. they were aware that it was our 65th anniversary and went out of their way to please. sent us home with a bag full of goodies. dessert was excellent as well.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stellar Food!LauraBDined on 9/8/2014Truly a great experience. Went with my son and we had a truly unique experience. Everything was delicious and no details were spared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hellohandymckayDined on 9/8/2014We had a very nice lunch. The pacing of the courses was very slow for weekday lunch, though. I was fine because it was a casual lunch with a friend but for a business lunch it would have been too slow.
- Lovely nightFooDivaDined on 9/7/2014We enjoyed a delicious meal in a warm contemporary setting at Maialino to celebrate our 14th wedding anniversary. The standouts of our meal were the Malfatti pasta with pork and arugula and the mushroom side dish. Portions are modest, so if really hungry consider sides and/or family dining option for whole table. What really shines here is the service. Our evening started at bar with short wait for our table. Bartender was terrific and knowledgable. Our waitress was warm and exceedingly helpful. Fitting place for special dinner, but atmosphere lends itself to small groups as noise level can be enthusiastic at times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was terribleOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/7/2014The food was amazing as always but the service was terrible. Our waitress forgot our drinks so they arrived after we reminded her and right before the good; when we ordered coffee had to remind her to check on it. Nowhere to be found when we wanted the check so asked for it on the way to the bathroom and she didn't know where we were sitting.Special Features:
- First TimerFoodLoverVIPDined on 9/4/2014I chose Maialino mostly for the location for a business lunch and also because it was a Danny Meyer's restaurant. What a find! The food was truly Roman italian, the wine was excellent and the selections really wonderful. And the staff was friendly, attentive but not overbearing. I look forward to going back.Special Features:
- all you need is lovecalabriaDined on 9/2/2014Nothing special at all about this food. I didn't believe the poor reviews I'd read cause I didn't want to. Beautiful website and a friend of mine raved about the place. Specifically the bucatini - that friend of mine is now in an idiot category I keep. C'est la vie. Avoid the tall thin Asian server - cause he will avoid you. Seriously. We never saw him. There were scores of empty tables around so it's not cause it was busy. On a positive note - a girl named Grace made our coffees. I haven't had a better cappuccino anywhere. Great work young lady. The host that greeted us was brilliantly sincere and fun to be around. Cocktails; excellent. The food lacks heart, simply put. The one ingredient necessary for Italian food to work.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/1/2014Good dining experience, food and wine up to expectation but compromised by sullen arrogant lead waiter - should have left him just one dollar but there were other staff to acknowledge so we did the decent thingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gramercy Park Gem - MaialinoChunkyDined on 8/31/2014You wont be disappointed. Situated in the decadent Gramercy ParK Hotel, you are greeted by towering ceilings, a roaring log fire and the huge glass chandelier in the hotel's lobby. Turn a sharp left and in slight contrast to its surroundings you enter the more relaxed, rustic Maialino. Delicious french cuisine with a sumptuous wine list to match. Particular favorites for us were the carbonara and an extremely delicate dish of fresh cod. Start with a cocktail, they're delicious.Special Features:
- Wonderful!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/31/2014We LOVED our brunch here and will be returning often. So fresh and delicious! You won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodieVIPDined on 8/28/2014We seem to have had a completely inexperienced waitress and that made a pleasant lunch difficult. someone else finally came around to help us and that was a big difference. .
- sunshineVIPDined on 8/24/2014We have been coming here for some time for special occasions and the most recent one was no exception. How welcome the staff makes you feel. From the "Happy Birthday" card already on our reserved table to all of the extras in celebration of my husband's 75th birthday, everything was just right. The menu and drink list are a treat and there are many excellent choices. You can never go wrong here with such fine fare and a staff that is so hospitable, a Danny Meyer trademark, and professional.I would recommend this to a friend.
- great findluv2tryplacesDined on 8/24/2014great food. We tried various pastas, caprese salad and the steak tartar and all were terrific.Special Features: