2 Lexington Avenue
New York, NY 10010Neighborhood:
Gramercy / Flatiron
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://maialinonyc.com/
- Phone: 2127772410
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday 7:30am - 10:00am
Lunch: Monday - Friday noon - 2:00pm
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday 10:00am - 2:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Nick Anderer
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Cafe, Full Bar, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Our communal table in the private dining room seats up to 22 guests and is available for events and celebrations.
- Private Party Contact: Amanda Kehr 2127772410
A word from Maialino
Maialino is a Roman-inspired trattoria from Danny Meyer’s Union Square Hospitality Group, located in Gramercy Park. Maialino captures the warmth and comfort of a true neighborhood trattoria, with a menu that celebrates the restaurant's ongoing relationship with its local family of farmers and suppliers. Executive Chef Nick Anderer draws inspiration from the Roman cooking tradition to create soulful food, reflective of the rich culture of both Rome and New York.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Maialino reviews from OpenTable diners
343 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (220)special occasion (150)neighborhood gem (145)great for lunch (129)great for brunch (126)notable wine list (104)romantic (83)good for groups (72)vibrant bar scene (72)hot spot (68)scenic view (27)kid-friendly (25)late-night find (19)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- foodieVIPDined on 8/28/2014We seem to have had a completely inexperienced waitress and that made a pleasant lunch difficult. someone else finally came around to help us and that was a big difference. .
- sunshineVIPDined on 8/24/2014We have been coming here for some time for special occasions and the most recent one was no exception. How welcome the staff makes you feel. From the "Happy Birthday" card already on our reserved table to all of the extras in celebration of my husband's 75th birthday, everything was just right. The menu and drink list are a treat and there are many excellent choices. You can never go wrong here with such fine fare and a staff that is so hospitable, a Danny Meyer trademark, and professional.I would recommend this to a friend.
- great findOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/24/2014great food. We tried various pastas, caprese salad and the steak tartar and all were terrific.Special Features:
- Amazing!ClaumorabDined on 8/23/2014Went with my husband to celebrate his birthday! Everything was very good, the food amazing and fresh. I'll definitely go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NiceKalleDined on 8/22/2014Very nice restaurant with great food! Service was excellent and good location close to Madison Avenue.Special Features:
- great mealnolanycDined on 8/22/2014Had the let us chose for you menu and it was wonderful! Went for a birthday dinner- staff was very friendly and engaging. Would defiantly recommend this place! I will be back!Special Features:
- Another great Meyer restaurantJohnLDined on 8/20/2014My goal, to eat at every Danny Meyer restaurant is nearly complete with a great night at Maialino. The location like all of Danny's restaurants is located on a park square which provides a nice view out the windows. The layout of the restaurant with multiple sections, bar, coffee bar and dining room is open yet cozy. The service is its usual attentive and friendly. The food was outstanding. We had a Salami platter with olives and a roasted asparagus as an appetizer, both were terrific but the hit of the night was their famous suckling pig with potatoes. It was perfectly prepared, tasted wonderful and is a guilty indulgence. Desert was a slice of olive cake and a delicious cup of coffee. Overall an excellent, high recommended restaurant.Special Features:
- Wonderful experienceLeeya448Dined on 8/18/2014From the food to the wine to the service, dinner here was perfection and it felt more like an experience than just dinner. We were treated like VIPs, and my gluten free dairy free allergy stricken boyfriend had an amazing meal here. We want to go every day! Also, the bill was about $100 less than I was expecting, this will be our go to special occasion restaurant for now on. Ps- I'm Italian and felt like I was eating pasta at home with my family, hard to find in a restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent in Every CategoryChetDined on 8/17/2014Professional service, excellent food, comprehensive wine list, knowledgably discussed.Special Features:
- Great food.reviewernicknameDined on 8/17/2014Maialino is a great restaurant with excellent food and outstanding service. I went here for brunch, as this restaurant has an excellent reputation for quality food. A few (tiny) drawbacks: A small chocolate chip and salt cookie (just one) for $3. Really? (Literally the size of a chips ahoy). It was very delicious. Also, they provided a delicious bread basket with no butter, olive oil, jam, or anything. It felt odd (and dry). When I pointed it out to the waitress I kind of expected a "oh no, we forgot to bring you olive oil?!?!" but instead got a more unexpected "oh, you want olive oil?" Other than these relatively minor things, staff was very attentive, food was prompt, and everything tasted exquisite.Special Features:
- Always superbChantboyVIPDined on 8/15/2014I always worry that Restaurant Week fare might be skimpy are not paid enought attention, but this was super. An insalata caprese to die for - heirloom tomatoes in different colors, all bursting with flavor, and the freshest mozzarella I've had in ages. Pasta with suckling pig - OMG. And lovely dessert of lemon pudding cake with blueberry compote. I wish I lived nearby so that I could eat there more often. I've been there for lunch three times before and it has always been spectacular. One of my top 5 restaurants in NYC.Special Features:
- early day -- just rightPeterVIPDined on 8/14/2014The breakfast is just right. Quiet but not silent; service attentive but not hovering so early in the day. The choices are fresh and tasty.
- Enjoyable but confusingJeffVIPDined on 8/11/2014Great food coupled with confusing service was the theme during our dinner. They were all nice and in fact they sat us before our party was all there. Everything we ordered was fantastic. The confusing part was that we barely saw the same person twice. First one person took our drink orders. Then a different person told us the specials albeit in a whisper. We ordered some antipasti (meats and cheeses) from the whisperer. Following that a third person took our dinner order. I asked for a wine list at that point. Waited about 10 min and then flagged down someone else to get a wine list. He was kind enough to come back promptly and take the wine order. Entrées arrive by still another person and are auctioned off to raised hands.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A NYC Favorite!RhinoDined on 8/10/2014I would put Maialino on the short list of NYC restaurants that I would not want to miss on a NYC visitSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- scanmikeDined on 8/10/2014Great RW lunch. My first visit here and won't be my last. The RW lunch was both delicious and generous, unlike many other's offering this deal. Pasta was delicious as was the fried artichokes. Lunch wine's were only $6.00.Special Features:
- Gluten-free pasta options are greatTifflin194VIPDined on 8/9/2014Overall: Still delicious, but some dishes are missing the "wow" factor Pros: really appreciate the gluten-free pasta options. Nothing gluten-free tastes as good as the real deal, but this came pretty close. We had the carbonara and rabbit ragu, both of which were delicious. The proscuitto with melon, steak tartare, and corn side dish were all amazing as well. Cons: the olive oil poached cod was a little bland, and neither of us enjoyed our desserts (olive oil cake, lemon verbena custard). I doubt there was any lemon verbena in that custard--it just tasted like plain vanilla, and the olive oil cake was moist but had very little flavor. Still a great meal but I remember this restaurant being betterSpecial Features:
- Felt takenbraindameDined on 8/9/2014Booked through Open Table for restaurant week, arrived for Brunch menu-not what we expected or wanted. Had dinner once which was great, otherwise, would not consider returning. Food fine but not great, service not up to usual Danny Meyer standards.I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentphotobookmanDined on 8/8/2014For the first time here I had something other than pork dishes: my lunch-mate and I had seafood dishes, and they were beautifully prepared and tasted wonderful. First-class cooking.Special Features:
- A Winner!scanmikeDined on 8/7/2014My husband hates when I drag him to RW because he feels he still ends up paying a lot for tiny morsels of food, leaving him hungry. I have to agree on some level with some restaurants serving tiny portions. However, this is not the case with Maialino. The service, décor, food, portions all were stellar. They even have a $6.00 wine list for lunch. What is great is that they only serve RW lunch so you don't feel awkward that you are ordering from the special menu as opposed to a regular menu. The pastas were great as were the appetizers (tripe and fried artichokes). Thoroughly enjoyable time in a non snooty restaurant. Now perhaps I can get him to try another restaurant on my wish list. BTW, I loved the décor...so welcoming and cozy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticihatenicknamesVIPDined on 8/5/2014What a pleasure to eat at Maialino. We went for restaurant week. It was one of the best and most generous restaurant-week menus I have encountered. There were 2 choices: the $25 lunch or the $35 lunch-which included the signature suckling pig. While one of my guests thoroughly enjoyed the $25 choices, we other 3 "splurged" for the sucking pig. We all tasted each other's dishes and loved them all--all 3 courses. The best deal was the wine choices: great wine choices at $6/glass. Usually, for $6 you don't get really good wine--but this was.I am not usually in that area of town--but I would go out of my way to eat at Maialino. Everything was perfection!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst service of any restaurantmdebDined on 8/3/2014Chose this restaurant at the recommendation of a foodie companion. Food was great (as expected), but service was unbelievably terrible. No waiter appeared for 40 minutes, and we had to get up and ask for someone to come over. Forgot half our drink order, and a cup of hot tea took 57 minutes (and was only brought upon prompting a waitress, not our own, since ours was nowhere to be found for over 20 minutes). The table next to us had the same issue -- completely ignored by their waiter. The horrible service turned what was supposed to be a great brunch in the city into a maddening experience. Though I had a delicious porchetta sandwich, I'll never return.
- Always Great!Citygirl71Dined on 8/3/2014This is one of the best reataurants in the city ! The food is amazing -great wine list ... And casual . Don't miss out !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sohoVIPDined on 8/2/2014Third time here! Love the food and the services - great place for a special occasion or any occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KalamiaoVIPDined on 8/2/2014Got to the restaurant on time but still waited for 20 mins to be seated. A bit disappointed but the overall dining experience there was great. Yummy Food!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty and accomodatingSlimPickens313Dined on 8/1/2014We saw a few things on the menu and asked our waiter for advice on what to match with it. He did a great job explaining the food and helping us narrow down what to order. The meal was fantastic and throughout the weekend we kept thinking back and talking about how great it was.Special Features:
- Never disappointsRickyon24Dined on 7/31/2014We've been here at least four or five times together as a foursome and Maialino never disappoints any of us. The food, the drinks, the service and the ambience are really terrific; we all love Maialino. I know we'll keep coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- unique eats with great ambienceImaniVIPDined on 7/31/2014Business lunch, went for restuarant week and was highly satisfied! The number of selections to choose front were great, two full menu options with flexibility to choose from either menu listings. Fried artichoke was both unique and flavor-full! Never had these before and would return for them again. Seafood stew was awesome, made with a white cream broth and the plum dessert was again an unique find. Ambience and service well matched the food quality.Special Features:
- Perfect mealOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/30/2014Having wanted to go to Maialino since it opened, I finally got there for lunch last week. It turned our to be Restaurant Week and the restaurant promotes it. I can't fault the restaurant for anything and give only praise. The offerings were wonderful and generous. They also offered several wines at a discounted by the glass price. Honestly, it was one if the best meals I've had in ages. My fried artichoke app was better than any Zi've had in Italy. Pasta has always been considered a strength here and the pork ragu over pappardelle was no exception. Dessert - lemon pudding cake was very good but not transcendent. The rest of the meal was.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/29/2014Being a Danny Meyer restaurant, we expected this to be amazing. But in the words of my picky boyfriend "Best Pasta I have Ever Eaten." And I agree- the bolognese was the best I've ever had! Prime real estate in Gramercy Park doesn't hurt either. Even before going into the restaurant I felt so New York & romantic. It was a great experience all around!Special Features:
- Always a delightMrBeauVIPDined on 7/29/2014Everything just works. Sat down at 6:30 and left at 12:30. Just a lovely evening!!!! As always.Special Features:
- Couldn't be happier!EatprayloveDined on 7/29/2014Maialino was really really good. The staff were very nice and attentive, the atmosphere was relaxed and happy, and the food was truly great. The Malfatti was actually one of the best entrees I have ever gotten, and for an appetizer next time I am getting the fried artichokes. The lemon dessert was a nice finish to an extremely pleasing experience. It was also my birthday, and they brought my dessert out with a lighted candle. I am coming back here every time I am in New York! I highly recommend Maialino and just wish there were one in my city!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect food every timemsbnyVIPDined on 7/29/2014This is an institution. Their pastas might be some of the most delicious pasta dishes I have ever tasted. Maialino is able to achieve incredible balance and flavor in their pastas without making them too complicated and fussy. One of my favorites dishes EVER to eat in New York City is their malfatti; loose noodles with braised suckling pig & arugala leaves. Absolutely incredible beautiful dish. My husband and I have been here several times, also with friends and family. This most recent time, I went with friends from work. Everyone had a fantastic meal and loved their choices. Must mention the budino dessert I had as well. Light, delicious lemon pudding with blueberry compote. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for lunch!8301coolguyVIPDined on 7/29/2014Such an enjoyable experience! Great service, quality food and beautiful coffee!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Moderately Good, Not GreatFosterVIPDined on 7/28/2014Interesting menu that uses fresh ingredients and capitalizes on an interesting mix of ingredients (like pickled vegetables in a salad). There is a heavy hand in the kitchen with the olive oil/fat: way too much on the salad, in the pasta dish and sauce over the chicken entree which was completely unnecessary. My dining partner said the same was true of his selections. Too bad, because I would have raved about the food otherwise. Lovely ambiance (you can actually have a conversation in this restaurant), albeit with service that was a bit snooty. It was hard to get our wait person's attention after we were served. For all this, prices are steep, so probably won't go again.Special Features:
- Fantastic Restaurant Week Lunchjdr777Dined on 7/28/2014My fiance and I have heard about Maialino for so long that we decided to come during restaurant week. The restaurant did not disappoint and everything we had was delicious. In particular we felt that the chicken thigh and chilled corn soup were standouts. Also, unlike most restaurant week meals, the portions were sizable. We both left happy and full!
- The complete package!macnycVIPDined on 7/28/2014We have had Maialino on our list for several years now, and regret that it took us so long to get here. Four of us enjoyed a wonderful and delicious lunch there, in a truly lovely room, with 'just right' service. This place deserves a cel phone entry, for sure - and many repeat visits.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/28/2014Love that during RW, there is only the special menu. No need to ask and feel as if you're second class. Staff is warm, welcoming and unfailingly professional. Selections wonderful. Can't go wrong with any choice. We ordered from both sides of the menu and enjoyed everything. One of our favorites!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ritadusheaVIPDined on 7/27/2014We goofed and didn't understand that although we had booked for lunch during Restaurant Week, it didn't include eating lunch on the weekends. Oh well. We had eaten there In the past and received great service and very good food, the menu was limited for brunch and the server was very forgetful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/27/2014We went for a Celebration lunch on a Sunday but menu was very much geared to Brunch. Disappointing for us as we were looking forward to the whole Maialino food experience. Will have to return for dinner to experience that.Special Features:
- Good food, not great servicealexbroVIPDined on 7/27/2014Have been here many many times. The food is always fantastic and the place is a pretty good scene. This most recent time the service was pretty bad. Pretty poor experience overall. Quite an unpleasant surprise compared to my normal experience. The service was really slow, the waiter spilled a bunch of coffee. Disappointed. I'll be back but I hope the service improves.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.