2 Lexington Avenue
New York, NY 10010Neighborhood:
Gramercy / Flatiron
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://maialinonyc.com/
- Phone: (212) 777-2410
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday 7:30am - 10:00am
Lunch: Monday - Friday noon - 2:00pm
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday 10:00am - 2:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Nick Anderer
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Cafe, Full Bar, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Our communal table in the private dining room seats up to 22 guests and is available for events and celebrations.
- Private Party Contact: Amanda Kehr 2127772410
A word from Maialino
Maialino is a Roman-inspired trattoria from Danny Meyer’s Union Square Hospitality Group, located in Gramercy Park. Maialino captures the warmth and comfort of a true neighborhood trattoria, with a menu that celebrates the restaurant's ongoing relationship with its local family of farmers and suppliers. Executive Chef Nick Anderer draws inspiration from the Roman cooking tradition to create soulful food, reflective of the rich culture of both Rome and New York.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Maialino reviews from OpenTable diners
348 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (245)neighborhood gem (146)special occasion (140)notable wine list (111)great for lunch (109)great for brunch (106)hot spot (106)vibrant bar scene (75)romantic (73)good for groups (69)late-night find (18)scenic view (16)kid-friendly (14)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Wine, truffkes and celebsWillajaneVIPDined on 11/20/2014Yes it's a hot spot but one that delivers great food and wine Service was a little off - slow to get drinks and then slow to get food order However the quality of food and fun atmosphere made it a great timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DISAPPOINTINGLY REGULARPolystotleDined on 11/19/2014I thought this place would be better. Very barebones presentation and flavorless food. We ordered a cheese/meat assortment (they're in every restaurant now so why I ordered it I'll never know). This one had 3 tasteless meats esp. the prosciutto, a few random chunks of cheese, 2 pots of grainy honey with no discernible difference and just a few pieces of bread. Our radicchio salad sounded interesting, but didn't have any outstanding flavors and felt like a waste of a course. The tour de force -- white truffle topped ravioli with a glass of Barolo. Great concept but lacking in presentation (just 5 ravioli's on a plate), and a potato sized truffle which the Truffle Master plucked unceremoniously from his box and started shaving. My husband, bless his heart, actually thought it was a truffle oil-infused potato. Where is the ART? Where is the sensuality and delicacy of flavors. This is New York for god's sake. We expected an immersive, amazing restaurant experience, especially from the fame Gramercy Hotel. Wish we'd stayed at the bar and gotten quietly inebriated on those yummy tequila, st. germaine, ginger drinks we were enjoying! Avoid!
- The bar drinks are exceptional........MaryHVIPDined on 11/16/2014and so is the food. We had a short wait at the bar while waiting for the table . Sunday brunch before a Wicked matinee. An inventive, refreshing drink menu as well as the Best Bloody Marys to boot. This is my second time here and the hostesses, bartenders and wait staff are some of the nicest people around. Friendly and professional - no waiting for a glass of water here - while being unobtrusive. The menu provides something for everyone and is delicious and fresh; try the pastry basket - chocolate croissants, etc are delicious. I had poached eggs over brussel sprouts and butternut squash. Warm and filling without feeling its too much food. They even provided a birthday candle for my daughter's dessert without being asked. Nice touch......we will be back again and again........Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner and excellent serviceCtbarbaraDined on 11/15/2014Maiolino did not disappoint. The pastas were done to a perfect al dente. Drinks were creative and delicious. Service was perfect. I was so happy they had fresh white truffle available to be added to any dish, and they'd make a pasta to order using the truffle if requested. I will certainly return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Evening to RememberfancythisDined on 11/14/2014First time at Maialino's and it was a very memorable occasion. Outstanding service, food and ambiance. Staff were amazing in their profession and offered us the best service and recommendations for wine, entrees and dessert! We had the house special Maialino suckling pig and truly enjoyed the experience of fine dining. Will definitely recommend this restaurant to family and friends. Look forward to going back very soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The real thingCsgsDined on 11/14/2014We've visited, and enjoyed eating in, Italy many times, and miss the wonderful food. Maialino comes as close as any restaurant we've tried in the U.S to duplicating that experience. The pasta was truly wonderful. Best carbonara this side of Rome. And the fried artichokes were fabulous. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- saygDined on 11/12/2014We love this restaurant. Each time we travel to NYC it is a must go. Everything on the menu is outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- "you're only as good as your last meal"DisappointedVIPDined on 11/11/2014i've been to maialino a dozen times. the last visit was the least satisfying. everything was a little off. my appetizer was cold. my companion's main meal was cold. (he sent it back.) also, the service was really out of sync. food arrived without utensils. condiment plates arrived without ingredients. two people tried to clear our plates (we weren't finished) within seconds of each other. my guess is that 1) they had a bad day or 2) someone needs to re-examine their entire service-delivery model. either way, i'm not sure i will return any time too soon. an $80 lunch needs to be a better experience than this.I would recommend this to a friend.
- My 'Go - to'...BigFanVIPDined on 11/10/2014Dining at Maialino, morning, noon or night.... is the best. Visitors love it, locals love it - it's just that constantly good and comfortable. It's where you go to dine to be comfortable and perfectly pleased with dishes with Italian warmth. Full disclosure: I am a 'local' and have made it my go-to restaurant since it opened... for breakfast (oh, that peppered thick sliced bacon with Sullivan Street Brioche/house-made Jams).. and lunch (great starters (artichokes, soups) and then a super pasta, and dinner (anything pork! for me, but unlimited delicious choices for you). Try it.. you will become a regular and your guests (business or personal) will all ask to return. It's that good - and consistent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic !bowker88Dined on 11/9/2014I went to Maialinos based on a recommendation from a friend. We showed up 45 minutes early and the hostess was such a doll and so helpful to keep us in the loop as to whether they could seat us early. Then the first waiter got us seats at the bar for some pre-dinner wine. In those 30 minutes everyone was so helpful and there was a great sense of teamwork with each "handoff". The wine recommendations were spot on and the food was incredible.Special Features:
- A big apple treatMikespicksDined on 11/9/2014Great service phenomenal pasta rabbit stew and had a very nice BaroloSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best food in NYCEddieDVIPDined on 11/7/2014The best food in New York. Try the tasting menu. Excellent everytime.Special Features:
- a nice change of pacehappytohelpDined on 11/5/2014My husband and I were in town for a show but weren't in the mood for the usual theater district tourist scene. We saw a good review of Mailino and their menu looked nice, so off we went. We enjoy brisk walking, and it was about a 25 minute walk from theaters, which was perfect -- near lovely Gramercy Park and in Gramercy Hotel -- where we weren't bumping shoulders with people running here and there. The service was excellent (except for a rather snobby hostess) and the food also was excellent in every regard. Their complimentary cookie dessert was a wonderful surprise. Walked back to theater feeling refreshed and ready to see the show. Will be back again!Special Features:
- The Best of the bestluvfoodVIPDined on 11/2/2014Consistently a great spot. The staff is fantastic, we had an outstanding server: Joey, he should become the sommelier as well, his wine recommendations: outstanding!! Highly recommend the paparadelle & whatever is a feature item.Special Features:
- Amazing Service & Delish FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/1/2014Had a 5-hour long brunch meeting at Maialino and it was the best experience. We sat in a corner booth drinking tea for so long and our waiter never got annoyed at how long we were there. I never had to even refill my water cup with the bottle on the table, as he attentively check-in regularly without interrupting the flow of our meeting. Loved it! It's a great place to take a client if you want to impress them and have privacy to talk/do business.Special Features:
- Great choiceIsilouisDined on 10/31/2014Excelente food, impecable service and good extense wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Took an hour to be seatedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/27/2014I liked maillnk! But the biggest probelm was that it took over an hour to be seated even though we had a reaervation and they called more than two times to confirm. So the reservation defeated the purpoae. And it set a certain mood. Otherwise nice restaurantSpecial Features:
- Delicious!el515VIPDined on 10/26/2014The pappardelle and chocolate budino were absolutely delicious! Service was great as well! Will definitely be coming back again very soon.Special Features:
- GoodparrottVIPDined on 10/26/2014Good entree, but we went for the pastry basket after hearing good things. I was a bit underwhelmed with the pastries. Looking back I would have skipped them and just had the focaccia.I would recommend this to a friend.
- ElizabethVIPDined on 10/25/2014we love coming to maialino - the service is outstanding - very welcoming and the carciofi fritti are amazing -- We noted that we were celebrating a birthday & they had a lovely note waiting at the table and a special cookie!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As Good as EverTravelJunkieVIPDined on 10/25/2014Maialino has been one of my husband and my favorite restaurants since it opened and it has lost none of its charm or culinary prowess. We've enjoyed breakfast, lunch, brunch and dinner, and while all are very good, we slightly prefer dinner only because that's when you can have their luscious namesake dish maialino, roast suckling pig, served with scrumptious roasted potatoes. On this outing we shared silky prosciutto and mozzarella, split the most amazing pasta with veal Bolognese topped with generous white truffle shavings, followed by the maialino with a side of roasted vegetables. The Barolo recommended by the sommelier accompanied the food perfectly. The team from front desk to table are consistently delightful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth it.WorththemoneyDined on 10/23/2014Pricey but absolutely delicious food. Slightly noisy. Wonderful staff.Special Features:
- MaialinoVoraciousDined on 10/22/2014Maialino has a very active, loud bar area that must be traversed in order to reach the dining area. Fortunately it is quieter once you're at the table (although not particularly quiet). Appetizers (tripe in tomato sauce and fried artichokes) were good, but our fish main courses had to be sent back due to overcooking; the replacements were fine. The wine choices - all Italian and intelligently selected - were commendable. My companion was more enamored of Maialino than I. I do think there are restaurants in NYC that are as good, or better, at more reasonable prices (sorry, Danny Meyer).Special Features:
- Perfec as alwaysMikeyMignognaDined on 10/21/2014Tonarelli caccio e peppe is probably better than anything ever, the Brussels sprouts were so good it was weird, and the lamb chops.. I just can't even. The service was amazing (thank you, Jonathan), the host was friendly and fun (sorry I don't know his name..), and the little details... It was just wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- IncrediblePedrocostoyaDined on 10/21/2014Once of the Best italiano retaurants al llover the world!!! Italy inclusive! ,!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT!TimaDined on 10/21/2014This restaurant is perfect for any special occasions. An amazing service, delicious drinks and great food! Me and my fiancée felt very welcomed over there. The whole staff give you a feeling that you are very special for them. Definitely will come back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dinnerlordjeffDined on 10/21/2014We recently enjoyed a wedding anniversary dinner here and plan to go back next year. We booked at the last minute an available 5:30 pm reservation, which turned out to be a good move because the restaurant at that time was quiet and we got a prime table. The food was excellent -- delicious salt and pepper pasta; pasta with tomato sauce and bits of crisped pork cheeks; fried artichokes; caramelized roasted b. sprouts; and the justly famous roasted suckling pig. Plus desserts. We took home a doggy bag of the pork and they threw in a fresh roll. It is particularly gratifying to note that the service was wonderfully attentive; we felt cared for. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Always terrificZigzagVIPDined on 10/21/2014A lot to be said for consistency - especially consistently great. The easy friendliness combined with good food is a fresh breath of airSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/20/2014This place will ruin you forever for food. Nothing will ever quite measure up to the flavors of the suckling pig pasta or the bone marrow and steak.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great Italianlucylucy33Dined on 10/20/2014very creative menu, lot of pork and sea food. We had a selection of cheeses and salumi to start, it was delicious, very tasty. I had a lobster pasta as main course, it was a big portion, pasta cooked dante, it was perfection. My husband had a spicy pork pasta, also yummy. Recommended if you want to try something different, this is definitely not a traditional Italian menu but creative menu. Service was great. Order happy hour drinks at the bar = great value!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tuscan farmhouse in Gramercy ParkBreuklynGrrrlDined on 10/20/2014Modern approach to dining: warm vibe , rustic classic menu with a twist. Quite delicious, very meat-centric (pig!) with just enough options for non-meat eaters. Kale salad unimpressive. Great for downtown business breakfast - if you're in creative type field.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'm ObsessedJessBuffDined on 10/19/2014If I were married to a one percenter, I would eat here everyday. I love the ricotta pancakes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/18/2014Once again, I was thrilled with brunch this past Saturday. There is nothing to say other than it is a treasure !!!!! We never felt rushed, nor was there ever a minute where someone wasn't asking us, if everything was ok. I was impressed when the hostess said, "Nice to see you again"…….always a nice touch. I had asked for a booth and when I arrived, the hostess was spot on with the reservation and said it would just be a minute or two !!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerCloujaDined on 10/15/2014I took my husband here for his birthday. It was our first time dining at Maialino and we had lovely dinner in a very warm atmosphere. Food was delicious and served at an easy pace. Will definitely make this our neighborhood go-to spot for special occasions with friends and family!Special Features:
- DisappointedRaphanovaVIPDined on 10/14/2014The place is really beautiful and it's in one the most beautiful parts of New York, Gramercy Park. I got there earlier then my party and, unlike 99% of restaurants in NY, they allowed me to seat at the table, which was really nice. The reason it was disappointed is that the service is way too slow, it took them 40 min to bring the mains and more 20 min to bring coffee. That's a lot for a business lunch. Also, my Traviola arrived cold in the table. I'm probably go back to try the dinner menu, let's see.
- Amazing every timeilovegoodfoodVIPDined on 10/13/2014can't say a bad thing about it…amazing food, service and consistent. One of my favs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful DinnerHarveydentDined on 10/12/2014Came here for a birthday dinner on sunday. It was a 9pm seating, only available and that was a few days in advance reservation. They take walk ins, but still wanted to have our regular reservation in the main dining room. Great food, great service. Would go again. A little $$ but that's what you pay forSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingNickVIPDined on 10/9/2014The interesting menu is what brought us in, the beautiful space, the fantastic food and the stellar service will bring us back. Everyone that works there has a smile and friendly demeanor. It seemed not to matter which server walked by, they were available to help, clear, fetch, answer a question, whatever. We tried a lot of things, our favorites were the seared octopus, fried artichoke, papparadelle, spaghetti carbonara, pasta with pepper and pecorino and the lamb chops, served with a fantastic gravy that required a trip to the bread basket. Can't say which were our favorite desserts, there wasn't a bad bite among the six we tried, but the plum tart disappeared first, so...The only negative is the precise, (read stingy) pour from the bar.Special Features:
- need new capp machines/baristascdknewyork19VIPDined on 10/9/2014I love this restaurant but every time I go for breakfast it takes at least 15 minutes for a cappuccino or Latte. This time it took 19 minutes. The servers are exasperated themselves because they say that everything has to be measured and the backup is awful and often people finish their food before they get their lattes, capps, etc. They need faster machines and more people at the coffee bar. It's ridiculous to wait this long.Special Features:
- GramercyililiVIPDined on 10/8/2014Service was great and pastas are outstanding. My friend and I hadn't seen each other in awhile and no one rushed us through dinner. It was perfect.Special Features: