2 Lexington Avenue
New York, NY 10010Neighborhood:
Gramercy / Flatiron
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://maialinonyc.com/
- Phone: 2127772410
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday 7:30am - 10:00am
Lunch: Monday - Friday noon - 2:00pm
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday 10:00am - 2:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Nick Anderer
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Cafe, Full Bar, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Our communal table in the private dining room seats up to 22 guests and is available for events and celebrations.
- Private Party Contact: Amanda Kehr 2127772410
A word from Maialino
Maialino is a Roman-inspired trattoria from Danny Meyer’s Union Square Hospitality Group, located in Gramercy Park. Maialino captures the warmth and comfort of a true neighborhood trattoria, with a menu that celebrates the restaurant's ongoing relationship with its local family of farmers and suppliers. Executive Chef Nick Anderer draws inspiration from the Roman cooking tradition to create soulful food, reflective of the rich culture of both Rome and New York.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Maialino reviews from OpenTable diners
346 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (227)special occasion (157)neighborhood gem (141)great for lunch (122)great for brunch (114)notable wine list (113)romantic (86)hot spot (74)good for groups (71)vibrant bar scene (71)scenic view (24)kid-friendly (22)late-night find (19)Show More
- We ate every morselOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014Holy bananas this restaurant is one of my top faves in the city now. Every dish was a taste explosion. Loved the artichokes and the potato skins. Even my simple pasta was fabulous. The ambiance and decor is so lovely and relaxing. They gave us a table in the far back corner which meant quiet and we were so happy! (Until a staff meeting started around us and our waitress disappeared; but we did start lunch late at 2p.) Will go back again and again.Special Features:
- GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/18/2014I surprised my boyfriend for his 41st birthday with dinner at Maialino and asked if they could make the night memorable. They definitely did. We had the chef's tasting menu and it was delicious. The staff was extremely friendly and the GM even came over at one part of the night to wish him a happy birthday in person. He is still talking about what a great time he had. We will definitely be back again!Special Features:
- AmazingbdaydinnerDined on 9/17/2014Celebrated my boyfriend's birthday here and it couldn't have been better. The staff went above and beyond to make our night special. The Maialino pig special is phenomenal. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming Italian on Gramarcy ParkGothamFoodieVIPDined on 9/17/2014I have been here several times for business lunches. Always good. Charming, sunlit, warm wood and window lighting, with views of Gramercy Park. Food is excellent, upscale Italian. Smallish portions, but right-sized for lunch. Relatively quiet corner walkable from midtown East. Not as crowded as in past visits, but still lively. Consistently great. Had a celery salad as a starter that was little less interesting than its description, clean but a little bland, and great Cavatelli with lamb sausage. OK biscotti and surprisingly good French press coffee.Special Features:
- my favorite Italian in all of NYCclaudiayDined on 9/16/2014A memorable meal. No missteps whatsoever. Truly an incredible Italian restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/14/2014Service was amazing. I forgot to take a portion of my wrapped unfinished meal with me. I called the restaurant when I realized my error and a representative delivered it to me! Amazing!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Brunch PlaceCookieDined on 9/14/2014there were 4 of us for brunch and the food was not your regular brunch. We had soft eggs with pepper which were more like an egg soup. The flvor was great, but the consistency was not something I'm used to. We also had a ham n egg sandwich which was great. The ricotta pancakes were our favorite item. They were so light and fluffy and came with an amazing fruit sauce and syrup. I would go back for that! the last thing we had was the poached eggs over corn. it was very good, but not a huge portion. We also got a pastry basket that was full of delish goodies. The cappuccino was very good as well.Special Features:
- Superb!Gramercy2014VIPDined on 9/12/2014Our dining experience at Maialino can only be described as perfect. The service was attentive and on target. The servers always came to the table with a smile. The food was exquisite, if you go, you must try their signature dish, the suckling pig, it was a generous portion and delicious. Everyone at our table was beyond satisfied with their meals. We can't wait to go again and try their brunch. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- somewhat disappointednormDined on 9/11/2014this was my third time at maialino. food has always been very good. this time however the seafood brodetto was oversalted.and not enjoyable. the first course was up to their usual standards. the staff was very attentive and service was excellent. they were aware that it was our 65th anniversary and went out of their way to please. sent us home with a bag full of goodies. dessert was excellent as well.I would recommend this to a friend.
- hellohandymckayDined on 9/8/2014We had a very nice lunch. The pacing of the courses was very slow for weekday lunch, though. I was fine because it was a casual lunch with a friend but for a business lunch it would have been too slow.
- Lovely nightFooDivaDined on 9/7/2014We enjoyed a delicious meal in a warm contemporary setting at Maialino to celebrate our 14th wedding anniversary. The standouts of our meal were the Malfatti pasta with pork and arugula and the mushroom side dish. Portions are modest, so if really hungry consider sides and/or family dining option for whole table. What really shines here is the service. Our evening started at bar with short wait for our table. Bartender was terrific and knowledgable. Our waitress was warm and exceedingly helpful. Fitting place for special dinner, but atmosphere lends itself to small groups as noise level can be enthusiastic at times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was terribleOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/7/2014The food was amazing as always but the service was terrible. Our waitress forgot our drinks so they arrived after we reminded her and right before the good; when we ordered coffee had to remind her to check on it. Nowhere to be found when we wanted the check so asked for it on the way to the bathroom and she didn't know where we were sitting.Special Features:
- First TimerFoodLoverDined on 9/4/2014I chose Maialino mostly for the location for a business lunch and also because it was a Danny Meyer's restaurant. What a find! The food was truly Roman italian, the wine was excellent and the selections really wonderful. And the staff was friendly, attentive but not overbearing. I look forward to going back.Special Features:
- all you need is lovecalabriaDined on 9/2/2014Nothing special at all about this food. I didn't believe the poor reviews I'd read cause I didn't want to. Beautiful website and a friend of mine raved about the place. Specifically the bucatini - that friend of mine is now in an idiot category I keep. C'est la vie. Avoid the tall thin Asian server - cause he will avoid you. Seriously. We never saw him. There were scores of empty tables around so it's not cause it was busy. On a positive note - a girl named Grace made our coffees. I haven't had a better cappuccino anywhere. Great work young lady. The host that greeted us was brilliantly sincere and fun to be around. Cocktails; excellent. The food lacks heart, simply put. The one ingredient necessary for Italian food to work.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/1/2014Good dining experience, food and wine up to expectation but compromised by sullen arrogant lead waiter - should have left him just one dollar but there were other staff to acknowledge so we did the decent thingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gramercy Park Gem - MaialinoChunkyDined on 8/31/2014You wont be disappointed. Situated in the decadent Gramercy ParK Hotel, you are greeted by towering ceilings, a roaring log fire and the huge glass chandelier in the hotel's lobby. Turn a sharp left and in slight contrast to its surroundings you enter the more relaxed, rustic Maialino. Delicious french cuisine with a sumptuous wine list to match. Particular favorites for us were the carbonara and an extremely delicate dish of fresh cod. Start with a cocktail, they're delicious.Special Features:
- Wonderful!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/31/2014We LOVED our brunch here and will be returning often. So fresh and delicious! You won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodieVIPDined on 8/28/2014We seem to have had a completely inexperienced waitress and that made a pleasant lunch difficult. someone else finally came around to help us and that was a big difference. .
- sunshineVIPDined on 8/24/2014We have been coming here for some time for special occasions and the most recent one was no exception. How welcome the staff makes you feel. From the "Happy Birthday" card already on our reserved table to all of the extras in celebration of my husband's 75th birthday, everything was just right. The menu and drink list are a treat and there are many excellent choices. You can never go wrong here with such fine fare and a staff that is so hospitable, a Danny Meyer trademark, and professional.I would recommend this to a friend.
- great findluv2tryplacesDined on 8/24/2014great food. We tried various pastas, caprese salad and the steak tartar and all were terrific.Special Features:
- Amazing!ClaumorabDined on 8/23/2014Went with my husband to celebrate his birthday! Everything was very good, the food amazing and fresh. I'll definitely go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NiceKalleDined on 8/22/2014Very nice restaurant with great food! Service was excellent and good location close to Madison Avenue.Special Features:
- great mealnolanycDined on 8/22/2014Had the let us chose for you menu and it was wonderful! Went for a birthday dinner- staff was very friendly and engaging. Would defiantly recommend this place! I will be back!Special Features:
- Another great Meyer restaurantJohnLDined on 8/20/2014My goal, to eat at every Danny Meyer restaurant is nearly complete with a great night at Maialino. The location like all of Danny's restaurants is located on a park square which provides a nice view out the windows. The layout of the restaurant with multiple sections, bar, coffee bar and dining room is open yet cozy. The service is its usual attentive and friendly. The food was outstanding. We had a Salami platter with olives and a roasted asparagus as an appetizer, both were terrific but the hit of the night was their famous suckling pig with potatoes. It was perfectly prepared, tasted wonderful and is a guilty indulgence. Desert was a slice of olive cake and a delicious cup of coffee. Overall an excellent, high recommended restaurant.Special Features:
- Wonderful experienceLeeya448Dined on 8/18/2014From the food to the wine to the service, dinner here was perfection and it felt more like an experience than just dinner. We were treated like VIPs, and my gluten free dairy free allergy stricken boyfriend had an amazing meal here. We want to go every day! Also, the bill was about $100 less than I was expecting, this will be our go to special occasion restaurant for now on. Ps- I'm Italian and felt like I was eating pasta at home with my family, hard to find in a restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent in Every CategoryChetDined on 8/17/2014Professional service, excellent food, comprehensive wine list, knowledgably discussed.Special Features:
- Great food.reviewernicknameDined on 8/17/2014Maialino is a great restaurant with excellent food and outstanding service. I went here for brunch, as this restaurant has an excellent reputation for quality food. A few (tiny) drawbacks: A small chocolate chip and salt cookie (just one) for $3. Really? (Literally the size of a chips ahoy). It was very delicious. Also, they provided a delicious bread basket with no butter, olive oil, jam, or anything. It felt odd (and dry). When I pointed it out to the waitress I kind of expected a "oh no, we forgot to bring you olive oil?!?!" but instead got a more unexpected "oh, you want olive oil?" Other than these relatively minor things, staff was very attentive, food was prompt, and everything tasted exquisite.Special Features:
- Always superbChantboyVIPDined on 8/15/2014I always worry that Restaurant Week fare might be skimpy are not paid enought attention, but this was super. An insalata caprese to die for - heirloom tomatoes in different colors, all bursting with flavor, and the freshest mozzarella I've had in ages. Pasta with suckling pig - OMG. And lovely dessert of lemon pudding cake with blueberry compote. I wish I lived nearby so that I could eat there more often. I've been there for lunch three times before and it has always been spectacular. One of my top 5 restaurants in NYC.Special Features:
- early day -- just rightPeterVIPDined on 8/14/2014The breakfast is just right. Quiet but not silent; service attentive but not hovering so early in the day. The choices are fresh and tasty.
- Enjoyable but confusingJeffVIPDined on 8/11/2014Great food coupled with confusing service was the theme during our dinner. They were all nice and in fact they sat us before our party was all there. Everything we ordered was fantastic. The confusing part was that we barely saw the same person twice. First one person took our drink orders. Then a different person told us the specials albeit in a whisper. We ordered some antipasti (meats and cheeses) from the whisperer. Following that a third person took our dinner order. I asked for a wine list at that point. Waited about 10 min and then flagged down someone else to get a wine list. He was kind enough to come back promptly and take the wine order. Entrées arrive by still another person and are auctioned off to raised hands.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A NYC Favorite!RhinoDined on 8/10/2014I would put Maialino on the short list of NYC restaurants that I would not want to miss on a NYC visitSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- scanmikeDined on 8/10/2014Great RW lunch. My first visit here and won't be my last. The RW lunch was both delicious and generous, unlike many other's offering this deal. Pasta was delicious as was the fried artichokes. Lunch wine's were only $6.00.Special Features:
- Gluten-free pasta options are greatTifflin194VIPDined on 8/9/2014Overall: Still delicious, but some dishes are missing the "wow" factor Pros: really appreciate the gluten-free pasta options. Nothing gluten-free tastes as good as the real deal, but this came pretty close. We had the carbonara and rabbit ragu, both of which were delicious. The proscuitto with melon, steak tartare, and corn side dish were all amazing as well. Cons: the olive oil poached cod was a little bland, and neither of us enjoyed our desserts (olive oil cake, lemon verbena custard). I doubt there was any lemon verbena in that custard--it just tasted like plain vanilla, and the olive oil cake was moist but had very little flavor. Still a great meal but I remember this restaurant being betterSpecial Features:
- Felt takenbraindameDined on 8/9/2014Booked through Open Table for restaurant week, arrived for Brunch menu-not what we expected or wanted. Had dinner once which was great, otherwise, would not consider returning. Food fine but not great, service not up to usual Danny Meyer standards.I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentphotobookmanDined on 8/8/2014For the first time here I had something other than pork dishes: my lunch-mate and I had seafood dishes, and they were beautifully prepared and tasted wonderful. First-class cooking.Special Features:
- A Winner!scanmikeDined on 8/7/2014My husband hates when I drag him to RW because he feels he still ends up paying a lot for tiny morsels of food, leaving him hungry. I have to agree on some level with some restaurants serving tiny portions. However, this is not the case with Maialino. The service, décor, food, portions all were stellar. They even have a $6.00 wine list for lunch. What is great is that they only serve RW lunch so you don't feel awkward that you are ordering from the special menu as opposed to a regular menu. The pastas were great as were the appetizers (tripe and fried artichokes). Thoroughly enjoyable time in a non snooty restaurant. Now perhaps I can get him to try another restaurant on my wish list. BTW, I loved the décor...so welcoming and cozy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticihatenicknamesVIPDined on 8/5/2014What a pleasure to eat at Maialino. We went for restaurant week. It was one of the best and most generous restaurant-week menus I have encountered. There were 2 choices: the $25 lunch or the $35 lunch-which included the signature suckling pig. While one of my guests thoroughly enjoyed the $25 choices, we other 3 "splurged" for the sucking pig. We all tasted each other's dishes and loved them all--all 3 courses. The best deal was the wine choices: great wine choices at $6/glass. Usually, for $6 you don't get really good wine--but this was.I am not usually in that area of town--but I would go out of my way to eat at Maialino. Everything was perfection!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst service of any restaurantmdebDined on 8/3/2014Chose this restaurant at the recommendation of a foodie companion. Food was great (as expected), but service was unbelievably terrible. No waiter appeared for 40 minutes, and we had to get up and ask for someone to come over. Forgot half our drink order, and a cup of hot tea took 57 minutes (and was only brought upon prompting a waitress, not our own, since ours was nowhere to be found for over 20 minutes). The table next to us had the same issue -- completely ignored by their waiter. The horrible service turned what was supposed to be a great brunch in the city into a maddening experience. Though I had a delicious porchetta sandwich, I'll never return.
- Always Great!Citygirl71Dined on 8/3/2014This is one of the best reataurants in the city ! The food is amazing -great wine list ... And casual . Don't miss out !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sohoVIPDined on 8/2/2014Third time here! Love the food and the services - great place for a special occasion or any occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.