Mahony & Sons Public House - UBC
5990 UNIVERSITY BLVD (UBC)
Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z3Neighborhood:
InternationalPrice: CAN$30 and under
Mahony & Sons Public House - UBC
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.mahonyandsons.com/
- Phone: 6048274444
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00 am -3:00 pm, Sunday: 3:00 pm- 5:00 pm;
Dinner: Daily: 5:00 pm - 12:00 am;
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: International
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: We feature live music, world and local sports on Satellite HDTV. Please check our website for updates on all live music and sports in each location.
A word from Mahony & Sons Public House - UBC
Irish music. Irish food. Irish craic. Who knew an authentic Irish experience could be found in Vancouver? But an authentic Irish experience is exactly what you'll find at Mahony & Sons Public House. We feature live music, world and local sports on Satellite HDTV. And, of course, every day you'll find delicious comfort food complemented by our selection of cold, Mahony sized pints, wines, and extensive selection of spirits. Welcome to Mahony & Sons. Slainte!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Mahony & Sons Public House - UBC reviews from OpenTable diners
12 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (9)good for groups (6)neighborhood gem (6)great for outdoor dining (3)vibrant bar scene (2)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (2)hot spot (1)Show More
- Perfect Business Lunch LocationurbanDined on 7/25/2014Kudos to the kitchen and wait staff. Food was fabulous and service was impeccable! Requested a quiet table location for a business meeting and was provided seating in an alcove that was perfect. Every aspect of the dining experience at Mahony's greatly exceeded my expectations.Special Features:
- The following 24 reviews are from the Mahony & Sons Public House - UBC reviews archive.
- UBC Mohany & Son April ReviewWhocaresStrictRulesDined on 4/25/2014Great Food ! Geat Service! Great Location ! Affortable price! Just too noisy as we hardly hear my colleague sit next to me - and I don't think the environment suitable for kids - more or like perfect for business Brunch !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good beer, so-so foodShablinskyDined on 4/17/2014Well, it's an Irish pub, right? So I suppose I should have expected what I got. Great Irish ales and local microbrews on tap, but poor food. The bread surrounding the chicken and brie sandwich overwhelmed the interior, leaving the sandwich tasteless. The chicken had been overkilled as well. On the other hand, one food standout - the chicken wings. While not large, they were spicy and cooked properly, and not breaded, prepared the way they ought to have been. The service was excellent and friendly, which along with the beers, made up for the poor sandwich.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celebration mealTillieDined on 3/17/2014I booked the restaurant because it is one of few decent restaurants in campus. However for a social lunch the music is extremely loud and therefore for older colleagues in my Department it was very difficult for them to communicate.Special Features:
- Good experiencecrypticloverDined on 2/1/2014We booked this for 4 for Dine Out Vancouver. We were given a table for 4 that was in a little nook that was excellent for noise and privacy - though other tables would likely have been fine, too. Food was delicious and to everyone's taste. Furnishings and surroundings are much better than average. Validated parking for beneath the building, too. Enjoyable all round.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was Awesome!NicolaDined on 1/27/2014For the price of the dine out menu ($18) the food was amazing, we were a group of 4 and we all enjoyed our meals. I dont normally get 3 courses because I cant afford too so to get 3 courses for that price is brilliant! And they weren't tiny little portions like in the posh restaurants they were nice sizes and the apple pie for dessert was mouth watering! The waitresses were very pleasant and there were a few other groups around having drinks, its a laid back ambiance a good place for groups of friends.Special Features:
- Wasted moneyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/19/2013Server greeted us and took us right to the seat, it was a group of 7 people. We were happy until we placed our order then the service went down hill, the servers left us for over 20 minutes, we had to go to the bar and even then it took them 4 minutes to come over, if busy I would understand but there was 3 girls just talking and not paying attention to anyone, there was 2 tables on the lower section that had hands up also trying to get some service. When the food came (I had a curry) there was browned parsley on top of the rice - they didn't seem to care that I hadn't touched it and although I'm sure it was ok to eat the fact someone would garnish something with that put me off. No one at my table would go back. Koerner's pub it is!
- It is always fun to go toOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/15/2013It is always fun to go to Mahony and Sons. Great staff, energetic student atmosphere. Good food, not gourment but you should not expect that! Great location on UBC campus. Good value for your $$.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice, central campus dining spotDaylilyDined on 10/28/2013Solid menu offers a good variety of choices to suit all and the food is delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I asked for a secluded tablefoodiefareDined on 9/27/2013I asked for a secluded table as it was a luncheon meeting and I was given a table off to the side as I had requested.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mahony and Sons is a campusOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/13/2013Mahony and Sons is a campus favorite! We took our visiting panel members there for lunch and they enjoyed it (One was actually from Ireland, and enjoyed the ambiance and decor as it made him feel like he was back "home"). Reservations were easy to make, and change, and the staff are quite friendly. It was quite loud the day we were there b/c of the soccer game, but otherwise the visit was great.Special Features:
- Food was excellent...........soOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/1/2013Food was excellent...........so was the beer that was recommended to me.....Nice fun filled atmosphereSpecial Features:
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/27/2013Mahony & Sons Public House - UBC Was a great experience! Love that they validate your parkingSpecial Features:
- Kind of pricey for what youOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/22/2013Kind of pricey for what you get. Beers, with tip, are basically $10, and food is $20. Not outrageous, but this is supposed to be a local, neighbourhood pub, and it's at a university to boot. How about some specials? How about any attempt to appeal to students?Special Features:
- We met for a business lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/4/2013We met for a business lunch and it took a long time for our food order to be taken and a long time for the food to come to the table.
- Terrible service - mediocre food...westvanclanVIPDined on 2/3/2013Our large $25 appetizer platter came AFTER our entrees were put down in front of us! We declined the platter - the waitress seemed shocked! The fish tacos were bland and I had to search the restaurant for our server in order to get a bit of hot sauce - she was chatting behind the bar. The beef dip was the smallest I have ever seen. No one checked on us, refilled water, or asked how our meal was (...do you need some hot sauce?). The bottle of wine we ordered came to our table uncorked!!! and was just slapped down - no tasting nor was a glass poured for us. My suspicion is that since all wines are also sold by the glass, our bottle was already open and just topped up before being brought to our table.
- This was for DineOut VancouverOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/30/2013This was for DineOut Vancouver 2013. Service was quite good, although the location was a bit noisy. To be expected, given that it's constructed of primarily wood and glass trim (after all, it's a pub). We did have to wait slightly longer than normal for our three courses - otherwise, would have received 5 stars for that. The seafood chowder (feature item) was definitely tasty and had a good selection of fruits de mer; the sheaths on the bangers, though... awfully tough. Made for a chewy entrée. Was sad that they ran out of coconut mango gelato. :( For an $18 menu, it was definitely good value. Might want to reconsider the casings of the sausages, though.
- Was expecting the food andOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/28/2013Was expecting the food and the service to be a lot better. it was the our first time trying this place out. all the servers were too busy serving the large tables.
- Very helpful staff. We pre-orderedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/4/2013Very helpful staff. We pre-ordered our food to be ready when we got there - and everything was ready, just as ordered, and yummy (all the ladies cleaned their plates!). Staff were attentive, but not over-attentive (which I dislike strongly!). Another great, memorable meal - kudos to Mahoney's!Special Features:
- The service is hit and missOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 12/13/2012The service is hit and miss because of the labour pool – students – but the kitchen is alright.Special Features:
- Except on Game Day...TheGoodDoctorVIPDined on 12/5/2012M & S combines elements of Irish pub, sports bar, and earls/CactusClub-type restaurants. It doesn't always work, especially when major sporting events are televised. But usually it pulls off this almost-impossible balancing act. The very best thing about Mahony & Sons are the servers: outstanding for their consistent friendliness, intelligence, and good sense. They maintain an aura of both dignity and hospitality without any manipulative flirtatiousness--not easy to do in a plaid miniskirt and T-shirt. The food is dependably good throughout the menu, and the managers clearly insist that customers leave satisfied.Special Features:
- Best option on UBC campusOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/16/2012Best option on UBC campus for pub grub. Expensive for students.Special Features:
- I think it was too pricy forOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/12/2012I think it was too pricy for the service and food they provide.Special Features:
- Great atmosphere and vibeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/26/2012Great atmosphere and vibe for causal group discussions. The staff members were a dream to work with.Special Features:
- Tuna salad is very good onOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/17/2012Tuna salad is very good on the menu and so is the Mahi Mahi tacos. Easy to book online and very good service if not extremely busy.Special Features: