Mahe - Dana Point
24961 Dana Point Harbor Drive
Dana Point, CA 92629Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Mahe - Dana Point
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.eatatmahe.com/
- Phone: (949) 240-6243
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Friday - Sunday: 11:30am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Steak, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Chef Christopher Allen
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cocktails, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: We have live entertainment Thursday-Sunday nights.
A word from Mahe - Dana Point
Located across from the Dana Point Harbor, our atmosphere is cool, casual and comfortable. Our amazing kitchen and sushi chefs create a most unique dining experience. Come in and see what we’re all about - we promise you won't be disappointed.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Mahe - Dana Point - Best Restaurants in Dana Point ›
Mahe - Dana Point reviews from OpenTable diners
35 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (22)good for groups (13)fit for foodies (12)special occasion (10)vibrant bar scene (9)neighborhood gem (9)hot spot (9)kid-friendly (7)romantic (7)scenic view (4)late-night find (4)great for lunch (3)great for brunch (2)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Something for Everyone.LucisamiDined on 11/14/2014Great menu--creative and has a good variety of food choices. Service is always very good and there are seating options for large groups that are not at all crowded.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was just okayKathyhb4Dined on 11/8/2014Appetizer was undercooked, sent it back for something different, the food came before the appetizer so we cancelled. I ordered the salmon and it was undercooked and mushy in the middle. Just overall not a great first time experience.Special Features:
- DisappointingPiterVIPDined on 11/8/2014Having gone to Mahe in Seal Beach years ago, we were excited to try out the new Dana Point location. Probably not the best dinner spot for 6 p.m. as there were a lot of families with small children and babies. Well behaved, but not the dining environment we were looking for . . . appetizer was 5 Star delicious Ahi Poke, dinner was 1 star with the veggies having WAY too much Garlic (and I love garlic) and my piece of Mahi Mahi was inedible as I don't care for fish with over 1/2 being the dark meat blood line. . . my husband had Salmon that was great, rice and again, his veggies had way too much garlic. May try it again, but NOT on a Saturday night!!!
- mahe' is a favorite!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/3/2014always great food and great atmosphere... kid friendly too! when we are in Dana Point we always visit!Special Features:
- Slow start up.TJKJMJJHDined on 11/2/2014Slow start, about a 25 min wait for server to show at table. Food was excellent as usual. Manager did comp first round of drinks because of the delay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/22/2014We sat at the sushi bar, and had sashimi and sushi rolls. We also had a waiter for providing drinks and plates. My husband had eaten here before and was impressed with the sushi. It was good, but not as tasty as I expected it to be. The sashimi was fresh, but the sushi rolls were a little bland. The sushi bar was quiet, but there was a din coming from other parts of the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Gem!OCFoodiesVIPDined on 10/4/2014Great setting, terrific food, and good service. Highly recommend the Stuffed Chicken entree! And the Mahe Burger is phenomenal! Must show up when Parkaimoon plays there! They take the overall experience to greater heights!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BigSurFriendVIPDined on 9/27/2014This was our second try. Food OK, not great, service friendly, but since smoking is allowed right next to the outside area all we could really taste and smell was cigarette smoke. I do not think we will try it a third time.
- Great location, good foodNaytVIPDined on 9/21/2014Loved the variety of the menu, from sushi to steak, and great location. There was live music playing Sunday night and the place was not too busy. The staff may have been missing some folks as our server was a little frantic being the only one for our section, and seemed to be training a new person. But they worked hard and got our food out (if not all at once, was a bit scattered...)Special Features:
- OoopsjonathonstoneVIPDined on 9/11/2014Blackened sword fish was overcooked, dry, and therefore not so tasty. Disappointing.
- SamsonDined on 9/10/2014Excellent food selection and quality, however service was a bit slow this time...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Used to Love this PlacejpdillsVIPDined on 9/6/2014Visited again last evening and food was as good as ever. Enjoyed everything. Service was off a little, they seemed a little confused and disorganized. Also got there in plenty of time to get an order in for happy hour and the bartenders were all too busy with a few cute women until a minute after the cut-off. It was all computer monitored, so we were out of luck. Definitely disappointed about them playing that game on good customers.Special Features:
- Mom's 80th Birthday CelebrationCherichVIPDined on 9/3/2014My sister and I took our mom to Mahe for her 80th birthday celebration. We sat in the back patio area which created the perfect ambiance for the celebration. The waiter was amazing. He totally took care of my mom, making sure the room temperature was perfect and taking photos. Food was excellent. I would definitely recommend this restaurant for special occasions.Special Features:
- SusanVIPDined on 9/1/2014Delicious veggies & brick chicken; okay sea bass, salty edamame.
- Sushi and SeafoodBillyBonesDined on 8/30/2014Nice outdoor dining within earshot of the duo performing in the bar. Nice sushi menu with lots of other seafood choices. The wine list was decent and not too overpriced. Service was attentive without being annoying. I would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun EveningSuzanneVIPDined on 8/17/2014We were looking for sushi/seafood and because of the ratings decided on Mahe. We sat outside, the sushi was delicious and they had a musical group playing Hawaiian music. People were dancing on the pavement and everyone was having a good time. We would definitely return to this restaurant.Special Features:
- The following 134 reviews are from the Mahe - Dana Point reviews archive.
- We have eaten here a few timesOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/30/2012We have eaten here a few times and it is one of our local favorites now. The emphasis of the menu is on fish and sushi/rolls, but they offer a wider range than that. I ordered the steak last time and it was cooked exactly as I asked for. Veggies were all fresh, the ambiance was nice, and the service was just frequent enough.Special Features:
- Great food and entertainmentSantaDined on 9/23/2012Great food and entertainment from the chefs at the teppan tables.
- It was the perfect spot forOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/17/2012It was the perfect spot for us (parents of the Groom) to have dinner with the soon to be bride and groom. We also held the Rehearsal Dinner there a few nights later in the private dining room. The food, service and atmosphere were all perfect!Special Features:
- Great place for casual dinningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/3/2012Great place for casual dinning with great energy and food.Special Features:
- The sushi was great !!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/17/2012The sushi was great !!!!! Very fresh and Some excellent special rolls. My young son had the crusted mahi Dinner and finished every bite. Would highly recommend This resturant and can't wait to try the one in Seal Beach.Special Features:
- Best place out of the threeOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/13/2012Best place out of the three restaurants we went to while in Dana Point.Special Features:
- Wow, what a night! Our waiterOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/11/2012Wow, what a night! Our waiter Nick was fantastic, really nice young man. His recommendation on a sushi dish was really good. Great outdoor seating.Special Features:
- The food was excellent. TheCD1960Dined on 8/11/2012The food was excellent. The service was good, I little more attention would have been better. Lots of kids inside and out led to some noise (not too bad). The band in the bar was good.Special Features:
- Overall, we had a very funOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/4/2012Overall, we had a very fun time and the food was good! The rocking shrimp tasted good, but we would have liked it to be more crispy. If they served it on a platter instead of a bowl with the sauce on the side vs. over the shrimp, I think it would stay crispy. Regarding the service, our waiter was very attentive so the good rating vs. very good was not due to him. We have eaten here before and the food takes a while to get out, and because it comes from different chefs (i.e. the kitchen vs. sushi chefs), it doesnt't always come out in a synchronized manner and one person at the table can be left without an entree for a while, when everyone else has gotten theirs. If something could be done to improve upon this, it would be great.Special Features:
- Nice Happy Hr drink & food specialswindiveskiVIPDined on 7/27/2012We like the Happy Hour prices for their selected drinks and appetizers.Special Features:
- I wanted to share w/ you myBigMikeDined on 7/24/2012I wanted to share w/ you my recent dining experience at Mahe’s Dana Point Location… It was just last night, (August 24th) and I had made a Table Reservation through Open Table. My reservation was for 7:00pm straight-up, and I had arrived w/ my date just a couple of minutes after 7:00pm and we were seated right away at a very nice table, no problem… Our Waiter took Extremely good care of us throughout the evening, and we had an excellent dining experience there at your establishment ! My date was indeed a First-Timer at Mahe’s, and she was very impressed with everything… She had the Steak & Lobster, & I had the Steak & King Crab Legs. Our Steaks were Cooked to Perfection to our liking, and our drinks were good too. Everything from start tSpecial Features:
- We had a party of 10 and allJackieDined on 7/23/2012We had a party of 10 and all agree we would not go back to Mahe. We ordered 6-7 sushi appetizers and they all tasted the same. While the servers were very nice, the service was terrible. We had dishes spilled on us, we had to ask over and over again for items, and one of our meals didn't even make it to the table. It was served in a To-Go box after the rest of us had finished eating. There's no ambiance to speak of. While located in Dana Point Harbor, the location of this restaurant is far from the marina and for all you know, you could be anywhere. Maybe we were just there on an off night, but we would not recommend this restaurant. For a great meal in Dana Point, try Harbor Grill instead.
- I have been to Mahe in DanaOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/19/2012I have been to Mahe in Dana Point a few times now and I always go for the sushi. Its very fresh and really good quality. They have a great wine list and all the servers are very friendly and very helpful. I have always had a great experience at this restaurant.Special Features:
- DeliciousFCBADined on 7/14/2012We found Mahe by accident and fell in love with it. The food is excellent, we go for the sushi. We sat at sushi bar and had Jesus ( I know the name is not Japanese, but that's because he is Hispanic and one of the best sushi chefs we have experienced both in OC and La) make us whatever he thought we would like. So delicious and the service is great too. It's a little expensive, but not outrageous and totally worth it.Special Features:
- Very energetic and upbeat!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/5/2012Very energetic and upbeat! Food (sushi) was great, our friend ordered a steak and he said it was one of the best he had ever had. Service was excellent as well. Bar came alive with a live band that made it a touch loud if you just wanted to get dinner. Other than that, an excellent dining experience.Special Features:
- Inpecible service, Bill alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/26/2012Inpecible service, Bill always makes us feel like familySpecial Features:
- I would not go back. OurMaddyVIPDined on 6/22/2012I would not go back. Our waiter, Nick, was awesome though.
- Terrible Service!!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/22/2012We've been to Mahe several times and usually got pretty good service. This time was entirely different. We were seated in the dining room and were the only ones there. Two more tables of guests were seated after us. We watched as they got drinks, appetizers and ordered entrees. NO ONE EVER APPROACHED OUT TABLE - EVEN FOR DRINK ORDERS!!! So, we walked out. We went across the street and got better food for a better price.
- GROW UP! Learn to serve large groupOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/20/2012This place has the makings of a great place, exept the service was the worse I have ever encountered. It was my daughter's high school graduation. We had reservations for 17 people. The busboy made us hand out the waters to start. Only one waitress who could not keep track of what food had been served by the runners. One person didnt get thier food until after everyone had aready eaten. Myself, who was the very first to order who got his meal hours after the the last person served. Manger comped that meal but too little too late. He stated that he would comp other items, but the waitress never did. Desserts promised comped were added to the bill.
- Definitely an off night for Maheksb48VIPDined on 6/16/2012Our server was very slow...we waited for quite a while before getting our drink order. In an hour and 30 minutes we had only been served one roll, 1 round of drinks and edamame. Our server was very busy talking to female patrons (friends?) that were coming in and out of the dining room. Rolls were not very good, small and overpriced. Most are filled with "fake" crab filler and the fish in the rolls is miniscule. The rice was mushy in the rolls and they lacked taste overall. We ordered martinis, mine was warm and lacked flavor and hubby's was OK but somewhat bland. Disappointing...Special Features:
- Very NicewindiveskiVIPDined on 6/10/2012Sunday afternoon live band in the courtyard. 4pm to 6pm Happy Hour with drink and food specials. Happy Hour is All day on Sunday and Mondays. We order from the Happy Hour Appetizer. Three sliders for $10 - yummy. A good deal for the vegetable tempura. crunch roll are prepared very well. Mahe Martini is a good pineapple martini. Could have been shaken the martini a little longer to be colder or the glass was not chilled first or long enough.Special Features:
- Best restaurant in Dana Point!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/26/2012Our favorite dining spot, and we love to bring friends, because they invariably love it, too! The best service - very friendly and accommodating! The food is amazingly delicious and consistently so, and we are always warmly welcomed! I recommend it highly!!!Special Features:
- We went to Mahe for lunchjulesrockslaVIPDined on 5/26/2012We went to Mahe for lunch to celebrate my son's birthday. We had exceptional service from the moment we arrived. We concentrated on the sushi portion of the menu and were not disappointed. The Ono special was particularly outstanding and their rolls are unique and well prepared.Special Features:
- Great starter menu and greatOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/25/2012Great starter menu and great rolls! Fresh sushi, pricey but worth it!Special Features: