1550 North Farwell Ave
Milwaukee, WI 53202Neighborhood:
IndianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.maharajarestaurants.com/
- Phone: (414) 276-2250
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 3:00pm;
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: With more than 16 years of experience, Maharaja has been catering an array of private events. Occasions range from birthdays, engagements, weddings and anniversaries to corporate business events and gatherings. Whether social or business choose Maharaja and add a little Indian flavor to your next event.
- Private Party Facilities: From business events to weddings and everything in between, our Milwaukee location can provide banquet accommodation for your next event.
Our Milwaukee location features a 2,000 square foot banquet hall which can comfortably accommodate up to 90 people. Amenities include a full bar, wait staff, buffet, dance floor, sound system with speakers and a projector/screen system.
A word from Maharaja
Derived from the ancient Indo-Aryan language of Sanskrit, Maharaja meaning "great king" features traditional Indian cuisine inspired by the most northern regions of Punjab and Rajasthan, to the more tropical southern regions of Bengaluru and Tamil Nadu. From the unique variance of our daily lunch buffet to our more distinctive a la carte menu, Maharaja will take you on a culinary journey through the largely diverse subcontinent of India. As the Maharaja"s who once reigned, you too shall experience only the finest India has to offer.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Maharaja reviews from OpenTable diners
13 reviews since August 1, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (7)great for lunch (6)good for groups (4)kid-friendly (3)neighborhood gem (3)great for brunch (2)notable wine list (1)hot spot (1)late-night find (1)romantic (1)special occasion (1)Show More
- EXCELLENTFlavorsDined on 11/9/2014Very good experience ....service and food were wonderful !!Special Features:
- Bring your walletczar35Dined on 10/17/2014..and all your friends wallets and don't bring an appetite. The portions were so small I thought they were the appetizers and when I learned they were the main courses, I had to ask the waitress where the rest was. In addition, I bought for my friend and his family as they had bought for me and my girlfriend a few nights before ... let's just say that the Chinese place they took us to had twice the portions at half the cost .... I was so taken back by the price, it was as much as the amount I spent at a 5 star steak place for myself and my girlfriend for a dinner that was great .... THIS dinner .... was not .... I will NEVER, and I mean NEVER to back .....
- JohnnyVIPDined on 9/25/2014The buffet here is one of my favorite's in Milwaukee, I don;t make it to the East Side much so it is even more of a treat!Special Features:
- GREAT LUNCH SPOTCOCOLOOKDined on 8/1/2014I had been trying to get to Maharaja for about a year now and I just work down the street. I'm so happy I finally made in. The services was superb and very friendly. We enjoyed the buffet immensely and especially loved the mango ice cream. The lamb dish was much too bonny and not enough meat, but the flavor was still very good. The nan was sooooo good that I over indulged on it. I recommend adding crushed pistaccios to the bar to enhance the rice pudding...that's always a favorite of mine. I'm definitely returning very soon:)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 64 reviews are from the Maharaja reviews archive.
- Indian in MilwaukeeRide2fast4meDined on 6/20/2014Great food, the nan was cooked just right, we had a korma and madras and the spice was perfect. Washed it down with a couple large Indian beers. Great food!Special Features:
- Excellent as always!TimJDined on 5/23/2014We took friends here who had never been to an Indian restaurant. The evening was tremendous! Mr. Singh has raised the bar for the wait staff & it shows in the service. The food (as always) is superb.Special Features:
- Saturday eveningPaulamilwaukeeDined on 4/12/2014Four of us had an excellent dinner at Maharaja. Excellent service and very good food. We particularly liked the appetizers though the main courses were also both delicious and plentiful. Our server was very attentive.Special Features:
- big mistakesk009Dined on 3/28/2014My son is severely allergic to nuts. I told the waitress about his allergy and she assured me 3 times that our food would not have any nuts in it. Well, they put cashews in my son's dish and he suffered an anaphylactic reaction. When I told the waitress what was going on she went back to the kitchen and someone else came out- not sure if it was the owner or a manager. He said that the problem was that the chef doesn't read English. Seriously. He seemed to be able to read the rest of the order. And how is that an acceptable excuse anyway??? Unacceptable.
- Love me some Indian food!PhilGerbDined on 2/14/2014I really love this place. Always a treat to eat here. Food is great, service is excellent. Only challenge was they couldn't find my Open Table reservation, probably because it was Valentine's Day.Special Features:
- Valentine's dayOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2014Nice quaint place, we were worried about finding a seat on valentines day but thry sat us within five minutes ..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not so greatDrfoucaultDined on 2/14/2014As one who has an affinity for Indian food I tried Maharaja. I took my wife out on valentines day. Each table was decorated with a rose an we were greeted with "happy valentines day". The selection of different foods were impressive. Also you were given the choice of degree of spice, mild, medium, etc. Not knowing this restaurant I chose mild for my dishes. They were way too over powering. I did not like the amount of heat in their dishes. To me making a dish overly spicy shows a lack of culinary skills. Anyone can make a spicy dish, but not everyone can delicately blend Indian spices to make a dish that sings in harmony. I was disappointed with the food that just screamed spices. Plus kids seated near couples! We will not be backSpecial Features:
- Happy we had leftovers!CarolNDined on 1/30/2014We dined here before a concert at Shank Hall on a weeknight. The service was prompt and our waiter was helpful in making suggestions and offering substitutes. The food came quickly, and we both thought it was excellent. I was particularly impressed with the generous portion of meat -- had a piece with almost every bite. We were delighted to have left overs to take home so we could enjoy it again! Highly recommend for the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First TimeAudiaDined on 1/23/2014This was the first time I dined at any Indian restaurant. The server was patient and asked the chef about any spices or preparation questions that she didn't know. I was with three friends so I had the opportunity to try several dishes and I thought they were all very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fair food horrible serviceLuvtoeatDined on 1/11/2014Would not go back, we ate here a few years back and the food was great but not any more. We should have known, the place was empty at 6:30 on a Saturday night. The service was terrible, our server forgot she had three tables in the front of the restaurant.
- Good Indian FoodFoodInReviewDined on 1/10/2014The only reason I would go back is for the tasty Indian food. Otherwise, my waiter was very slow, there were employees yelling curse words at each other in the kitchen that everyone could hear, and we were sitting near a drafty door (partly Milwaukee weather's fault). The best dish that we had was the mango lamb that was a great combination of sweet and savory. If you don't mind all of the problems I encountered, at least you can enjoy the food.
- positive first experiencebillybeanDined on 12/31/2013This was my wife's first experience with Indian cuisine, and she enjoyed it overall. Her dish was spicy, which she is a fan of in all cuisine, and her Indian beer was tasty as well. A heads up for a first timer here you do not want to sit by the entrance during a cold winter night.Special Features:
- Would not recommend this restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/23/2013Would not recommend this restaurant, nor will we be going back. When attempting to order drinks, the waiter was unable to tell us what type of Taj Mahal beer they had (they are sold in India with either a red or blue label signifying two different types). After waiting for 15 minutes for our drinks, another waiter finally stopped over asking if we had been helped and gave us water. We waited 30 minutes without our drinks or having our orders taken before we decided to leave. Right as we were deciding to leave our waiter looked at us, made eye contact, and then walked in the kitchen. It was a place we were looking forward to trying, but it turned out to be such a disappointment.
- GREAT!JillDined on 12/13/2013Wow, Im so glad I took my kids here for my birthday. My server was awesome, the food incredible, everything just perfect. I can't wait to come back, this is a definate stop on my top 5! Thanks so much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful smiling faces!StephDined on 12/7/2013From the moment my date and I walked in the staff were pleasant and the smiles on their faces macaroni experience that more pleasant as the environment was warm and inviting, not to mention smelled of wonderful scents!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of, if not the best Indiandiner8takeabreakDined on 11/23/2013One of, if not the best Indian restaurant in MiwaukeeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Food!cml82189Dined on 11/23/2013I love eating at Maharaja. The dinner menu has many choices. including vegetarian dishes and many types of naan. The serving sizes are appropriate, though I usually bring leftovers home because it is just as good reheated. Chicken Tikka Masala is my favorite dish. The dining area is low-lit making it feel more intimate even if all the tables are full. Service was well-timed and friendly.Special Features:
- 1st time dining SURPRISERushfan86Dined on 11/16/2013Service was great! Staff was very helpful explaining what was being brought to the table each time. Extensive menu. Great wine list. Steady flow of customers entering but it was not PACKED. There was never a point where it was too loud, but people were still enjoying themselves.Special Features:
- Great intro to Indian food!!Sjr15Dined on 10/18/2013This was our first time at Maharaja, and first time my two friends had had Indian food. I'm so glad they're first experience was so positive! The food was flavorful and the spice was just right, especially for palates that were new to Indian -- we requested mild spices, and the chefs did it just right! We ordered the Fish Pakora appetizer, then the shrimp skillet from the tandoor, the vegetable jalfrezi paneer, and the chicken mango special. Slight delay from time we sat down and got menus to time the waiter came over to introduce himself, answer questions and take our order, but he was very attentive once we ordered the food. And the red sangria was awesome! I would recommend this to anyone looking for good authentic Indian cuisine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- India inside MilwaukeechandraDined on 9/22/2013I felt like sitting in India and having indian food.. the ambience was amazing and the food was delicious.. ChandraSpecial Features:
- Better ambience for the costshah4Dined on 9/20/2013Better ambience for the cost if you like spicey you willlike this place The parking could be troublesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food at reasonable prices...OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/13/2013Just take not that your definition of spiciness might not match Maharaja's! I ordered my dish medium spicy, but I would have judged it to be hot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Time!!SiouxDined on 8/16/2013We had an early reservation so we were taken care of promptly. We had a lot of questions about the food and our servers were very knowledgeable and gracious. The food was excellent. The Mango Mojitos were refreshing. We even tried some Indian beer after dinner. Not too keen on those, but had a large selection of wine and alcohol to meet anyone's needs. Will definitely stop again for their happy hours!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a Gem!1984Dined on 8/14/2013I celebrated my 29th Birthday their and it was amazing! Half off on bottles of wine. The service and the ambiance was amazing! Best Indian Restaurant in town! Love Maharaja.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Nice!BadgerickDined on 7/23/2013The food was very good but the lamb was a bit too fatty. The spices were increcible!Special Features:
- Family GatheringJarvisDined on 7/22/2013Perfect for a family dinner (or lunch); there were seven of us. We love Indian foods, and Maharaja probably offers the best this side of Chicago. Waitstaff is gaining experience but was attentive and paced the meal just right. We ordered from the menu and of course shared dishes. All five were very good to excellent. - jg.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exploring Indiamedeng1Dined on 7/12/2013Having spent time in India this year, wanted to find a restaurant that served authentic food. I was not disappointed in that, however our service was a little below expectations. The waiter was there initially very frequently but disappeared after we ordered drinks and did not return until we found someone else to ask questions. Overall, it was OK. We loved the food, but would have liked more balance in the attention of the wait staff.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Indian Food on the East SideFreedomDinnerDined on 6/30/2013A great simple Indian find on the east side. Hard to find parking, but not impossible. If you are determined or local to the area you probably know where to find parking. Between a large guest party in back along with summer-fest going on (not the fault of restaurant) it made is especially difficult to find parking. It was appreciated that they offer the ability to pick different levels of spices for customers. Not everyone can take full strength curry! Great tasting food and reasonable prices. Very friendly staff and kept a prompt and courteous manor of serving us. I would go there again without thinking about it twice for quality Indian food. Wide selection of different dish types.Special Features:
- Fabulous Friday FeastnatashaDined on 6/28/2013I dined with three hungry men who were in the mood for Indian food. Maharaja did not dissappoint! We ordered assorted appetizers, beers, masla tea and soda, followed by the main dishes. Our favorites were the chicken curry and shrimp masala.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid taste but decor needs helpmtstomachDined on 5/29/2013I found food to be tasty and spiced appropriately. It was not bland as many Indian restaurants try to make to cater to Western taste. They also make it spicy when you ask for spicy. The ambience needs an uplift for the prices charged. Service was generally fine but I was dining during weekday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was freezing in there andDiggityVIPDined on 4/17/2013It was freezing in there and the service was extremely slow.
- excellent find in milwaukeekattyr3Dined on 4/13/2013Great indian food and great service. We had a group of 9 people and the waiters were very attentive. Food tasted great as well. Many of the first time indian food eaters in our group loved it and are now hooked.Special Features:
- Great food and lots of fun.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/9/2013Great food and lots of fun. Very friendly and observant staff. Great overall experience and will go back.Special Features:
- Maharajah is a favoriteGreenHarpyDined on 2/8/2013Maharajah was one of the first restaurants specializing in East Indian food to open in Milwaukee, and it remains one of my favorites. The menu offers a variety of options, from both northern and southern Indian cuisines and there are daily dinner specials. The food is consistently good and reasonably priced. The lunch/brunch buffet is also good, with some of the dishes changing periodically, which is nice. The dining area is pretty spacious and tables are situated so that couples out for a special occasion and families can dine undisturbed. The staff is always friendly and helpful. Other restaurants serving Indian cuisine have opened around Milwaukee, but I always go back to Maharajah.Special Features:
- They Go the Extra MileOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/31/2012What a great place. Best Indian food I've ever had. We were slightly late because we couldn't get a parking spot, but we called them and they were very kind to keep our table for us. They handed out free hats and headwear for everyone to wear on New Years. It looked so cute and festive in the restaurant, it was perfect. A++++! We live an hour away, but we WILL be back! :)Special Features:
- Food was very good. TookOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/27/2012Food was very good. Took considerable time to get main entrees. The place was fairly empty when we arrived so it wasn't due to the volume of customers. Could have been more spicy. Service was very good and polite. Would visit again, but make sure the food was properly spiced for our tastes.