Mago Grill & Cantina - South Barrington
100 W Higgins Rd, Suite M05
South Barrington, IL 60010Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
Mago Grill & Cantina - South Barrington
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.magodining.com/
- Phone: 8478444400x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm;
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Mexican
- Executive Chef: Juan Luis Gonzalez
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live Mariachi Music Every Thursday Night from 6-9pm
A word from Mago Grill & Cantina - South Barrington
Mago Grill is a modern twist on everyday dining featuring a delicious menu of authentic Mexican and Latin dishes created by chef Juan Luis Gonzalez. Open for lunch and dinner daily, 7 days a week. Family friendly dining, great for groups, too!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Mago Grill & Cantina - South Barrington reviews from OpenTable diners
131 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (56)fit for foodies (51)special occasion (43)hot spot (41)neighborhood gem (37)great for outdoor dining (33)great for lunch (32)kid-friendly (22)vibrant bar scene (20)romantic (11)late-night find (7)great for brunch (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- not enticingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014I took my family out to dinner here. The hostess seated us promptly and told us about their complimentary salsa .... and then it went down hill. They didn't know how to serve tequila "neat". I had to order kiddie cocktails for my kids from three separate people to get it and the they didn't anticipate our needs -more napkins, drink refills, etc. Nice atmosphere, horrible service, ok food-not worth the costSpecial Features:
- Love the placeMomDadNightOutDined on 8/30/2014Went there with friends, sat outdoors, very relaxing and friendly atmosphere. Will go again...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I loved this place!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014This was such a pleasant surprise from the standard mexican restaurant. The food is prepared with a special touch. I had the skirt steak with Ranchero mole sauce. It was delicious. My friend had the Tiger Shrimp with a coconut mole sauce. We both were very happy with our meals. Oh and dont forget the Margaritas. Wow! the tortilla chips are served with 3 different salsas to try and they were all good. Definitely will be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great meal!ScubaProVIPDined on 8/30/2014Mago just continues to impress. Every meal is consistent and Saturday's was no less. The quality of the meals is at a high level and Mago competes with the best in Chicago. Service is excellent for the suburbs which typically lags the best city restaurants. We had the Ropa Vieja which was a very tender brisket-based dish with a lot of authentic Mexican spices surrounding it and the table made guac was wonderful as well.Special Features:
- All around great dining experiencelesapDined on 8/29/2014Mago had a full menu that provides something for everyone. Although the prices are moderate the food is gourmet - not only in taste but presentation as well. Everyone from the hostess to the waiter to the buss persons - all were energetic, pleasant and accommodating. I am not usually a fan of fruity sangria so this sangria was amazing. More wine than fruit and very flavorful - I felt that $8 was a bit much for a small glass of sangria but if you get it on special it is only $5 which is well worth it! I witnessed a couple celebrating a birthday and the servers put a sombrero on the guys head and sang happy birthday - kind of fun. Lots of large tables of groups sharing dishes. Lots of couples. Definitely a great mix of people.Special Features:
- My favorite restaurant!doeverythinginloveDined on 8/29/2014I tell everyone about Mago South Barrington! The service is superb and the food amazing. The sauces and salsas are flavorful and unique and everything I've tried has been delicious. I have a gluten intolerance and they have so many options that are clearly labeled on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good; too noisyBarbaraVIPDined on 8/27/2014Made the mistake of going on a Wednesday when they had strolling musicians. Way too disruptive to enjoy dinner. Manager tried to help by seating us outside (thanks) but then the window wall opened and it was pretty loud. I will go back but on a different day of the week!
- Great FoodricachicaDined on 8/24/2014The food was great, and the staff was good too. It was busy so the support staff was trying to help. They kept forgetting things, like when we asked for water, but when reminded they were very sorry. There were 5 of us girls, and we never felt rushed, so we took our time, had a few drinks, and enjoyed the time we had there. Usually they are putting down the cheque and trying to get us to leave, but they let us have our time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!NotEasilyImpressedDined on 8/23/2014I have been a patron of the Arboretum for years. Can't tell you how many times I've passed Mago and wondered what it was. SO glad I finally checked it out! It's a little loud but the service and food was unbelievably spectacular! Steak waspperfectly cooked, guacamole was so good I could have made a meal of it... and the cocktails were delish. This place is my new standard for Mexican/Spanish fusion. Can't beat the quality!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, service, and drinksOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/22/2014As stated above, this place is great. Not only is the food great (if you like non tex-mex Mexican food), but the service is great. One of us spilled a drink by accident, and they replaced the drink free of charge. They make guacamole right by the table and customize it for you based on your tastes. We've been here a couple times now and definitely intend to keep going back.Special Features:
- Great food, fun ambianceRachaelDined on 8/20/2014Delicious food and insanely good margaritas! A friend and I went here on a Wednesday night for dinner/ birthday celebration. Boy... was it busy for the middle of the week. So glad we had a reservation. The food was great and plentiful. However, due to the crowds it was a tad noisy and was exacerbated by the mariachi. Not complaining though as it adds to the ambiance of the restaurant. Overall a pretty great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MNFoodieDined on 8/19/2014I loved the variety of food choices. We shared queso with chicken, chilis rellenos, enchiladas, and shrimp fajitas. They were all outstanding. The server was knowledgeable about menu items and friendly. I can't wait to visit my friends in the Chicago suburbs again. We'll certainly be dining at Mago Grill and Cantina.Special Features:
- Fresh Via MexicanSteakVIPDined on 8/15/2014Great fresh Mexican Food. The table side (during dinner) guacamole is made the way you want and the chips are very good. You can make a meal of the combo. The entrees, tilapia and skirt steak were fantastic. Service could not be beat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome serverLoveDiningOutDined on 8/10/2014I've been twice and both times the food and service was excellent. Our server brought out samples of their famous mole sauces (6 of them) for us to try and explained each of them and what meat or fish they went best with. Server and bus boy were very cheerful and helpful! I had a flat iron steak with one of the moles for chicken or beef and it was EXCELLENT! Perfect medium rare! They also have guacamole prepared table side which was also very good. Several margarita choices - I had El Diablo which comes with a lager floater. Very different! Churros for dessert…warm and crisp and enough to share. It can get loud and festive so if you're looking for quiet and stuffy then go elsewhere. Thoroughly enjoyed every minute!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love this place!cpinedo8VIPDined on 8/9/2014Mago has become one of my favorite restaurants. Everything I have tried has been delicious. I always gauge a mexican restaurant based on their chips and salsa and Mago definitely exceeds expectations. I love going on wednesdays for $5 sangria and to enjoy the Mariachi band! Great place for a group celebration or a romantic night out!Special Features:
- Loved it!AdrienneMDined on 8/8/2014My husband and I went to Mago for my birthday and had a delicious lunch! Our server, Maria Elena was absolutely fabulous! We told her it was our first time here and she thoroughly explained items to us. She even brought us a few samples of the mole to try! The menu has a nice selection of items; something for everyone's taste! The guacamole was so fresh and yummy! We are looking forward to going back for dinner. Ceviche will definitely be next to try! The restaurant is colorful and inviting. I would recommend going to Mago!Special Features:
- Gives Abuelas food a run for its $LifeAsAChefsWifeDined on 8/7/2014Surpassed my expectations!I had just flown in from Texas 2hrs prior & needed to find a trendy, yet affordable, place to take my fiance for an early Bday dinner.The food, ambiance, & music were all very trendy/modern Latin. Mago takes boring-I mean typical-Mexican dishes & transforms them into something new and unexpected. Mago lets you venture out from what you believe Mexican food should be and shows you what it could be. The tacos, tamales, empandas,& Ropa Vieja were delish! Also, the staff was AWESOME and accommodated to my food allergies! We will be coming back & trying more. As a Mexican who is engaged to a Chef...I'm pleasantly surprised. It's about time someone got upscale Mexican food right near us!(Cute Bday Sombrero,song,&dessert)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NoisychoppedVIPDined on 8/5/2014Please close the ceilings it's way too loud and then we add the strolling music yikes. I can't hear the people at my tableSpecial Features:
- Unique and deliciousHappycamperDined on 8/3/2014When you walk in you know this is a different experience - a more sophisticated Mexican restaurant. Three interesting salsa's, table side guacamole prep, attentive service. My favorites - shrimp ceviche, skirt/flank steak, red snapper and the cheese rellenos. Took my 72 yr old Dad there who is a trained chef and he loved it. Wish someone had ordered a mole dish, can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food & serviceBababooey44Dined on 7/31/2014Guacamole made fresh at your table was very delicious! Will be returning for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/30/2014A lot of food and great skinny margaritas! The espresso flan was delicious and the service was great!Special Features:
- Johnny3VIPDined on 7/26/2014Great spot in South Barrington for Mexican. Table-side guacamole is fantastic as are the margaritas. Plenty of authentic entree choices with daily mole sauce specials. Service is attentive and very friendly. We will be back.
- Off day for Mago GrillSeahorse422Dined on 7/23/2014We had previously visited Mago Grill and loved it so much that we returned. During this visit we were disappointed due to our server being relatively new (as he explained to us), and the wandering band was playing so loud that we couldn't have conversation easily. The food was good, although due to our server, we had to ask for items that are normally replenished without having to ask. We WILL RETURN with hopes it was a one time thing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classy Mexican RestaurantElginiteRestaurantManDined on 7/19/2014You should get resv on weekends. I had them, and good thing. Sat at 7 was packed. It's a nice looking place. They make the guacamole fresh at your table, to any spiciness you desire with little bits of jalapeños. We loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just as plannedOurtimeoutDined on 7/18/2014Got there a little early and they were able to seat us right away. Waiter was polite, explained items on menu, and stayed around to check on order or get another drink. Food was delicious. Everything went smooth. No complaintsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Fun Place to Eat!JosephDined on 7/18/2014I've eaten lunch here twice, once inside and once outside. The food is delicious, authentic Mexican, and plentiful. The waitstaff is great, everyone is friendly, helpful, and constantly on the move! The one problem for me was the ambient sounds. Because I have a mildly difficult time hearing table conversations, the surrounding sounds hampered my ability to hear. When we ate outside, this wasn't a problem.Special Features:
- Great Foods and DrinksSolarMaxDined on 7/17/2014Great foods in general. Guacamole is excellent so do various types of margaritas. Dinner time (even weekday) is very busy so a reservation is recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Guacamole? Yes, please!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/11/2014The guacamole is made fresh, table side, and is delish! A must! The chicken tortilla soup tastes so fresh, like the veggies were just harvested specifically for your bowl of soup. The main dishes (our entire table ea. had something different)... Were so rich with flavors, steaks were so tender, everything just melts in your mouth! And you can't forget about the drinks... You will not regret these Margaritas in the morning! Again, so flavorful... Just wish the glass was bigger!Special Features:
- the4ofusDined on 7/9/2014Food and service was very good. One of the women in our group couldn't eat some of the food she ordered because it was too spicy. Maybe the next time you redo the menu, you can indicate how spicy the different tacos are. Loved the mariachis, however, when they played, it was so loud we couldn't even talk at our table. They seemed to stay in the same location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- under-impressedfoodieDined on 7/8/2014good atmosphere & margarita specials. Good luck getting quick patio seating or a pleasant hostess.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodChicagowomanDined on 7/6/2014Great food and drinks. I enjoy this place very much.Special Features:
- Unexpected Food GemGoodFoodDined on 6/28/2014Not your run of the mill Mexican food. Many unexpected dishes on the menu for a "chain" restaurant. Multiple mole sauces, salsas that were excellent. Restaurant is VERY noisy. Not good if you want to have a conversation, but food is worth it. We will definitely be going back!Special Features:
- Not a fanfrequentdinerVIPDined on 6/28/2014Went for dinner on a Saturday night. Great menu, marked with gluten free items. Poor execution overall. Good, knowledgeable waiter who was so busy we rarely saw him at our table. Food took forever to arrive. When it did it wasn't hot and the tacos requested on flour tortillas were on corn tortillas. The remake was fast, though. There are two different versions of the menu being distributed in the restaurant, each with a different list of available beers. But it turns out neither is correct and only your waiter knows which beers they really offer. Ridiculous. When our bill arrived it was wrong. It listed a bar drink we never ordered, which the waiter promptly removed. The place was also so loud the the four of us couldn't hear one another.
- GloJVIPDined on 6/28/2014I did not receive 100 dining points for this reservation. I honestly can't remember if I made the reservation through Open Table or the Mago website. Regardless, I should still receive points. Why does Open Table confirm my reservation and ask me for a review if I am denied points? In my opinion this is a flaw in your system.Special Features:
- No repeater againJgraff49Dined on 6/28/2014I ate at Mago's once and decided to come back. Food was entirely too spicy - had to send it back. Rate is as not as good as the first time I visited. Won't returnSpecial Features:
- Great mole sauces!love2eatDined on 6/27/2014Lively restaurant with very good food. Mexican food with a twist, tastes fresh, and the mole sauces are fantastic. There was an outdoor concert taking place, the restaurant had the windows open, so with the breeze and music coming in, it was a very nice atmosphere. Good variety of people, from couples to families with little kids. It's a nice option to have a place like this in the suburbs.Special Features:
- All the meals were well preparedSearsMAPTeamDined on 6/27/2014Outstanding gathering at Mago. All the meals had nice large portions. Fresh guac was, well, fresh. Sauces were good and varied.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, terrible serviceLuv2dineVIPDined on 6/25/2014This was the first time I had ever been to Mago. It was a very neat vibe - the mariachi band was walking around and playing (although when they were close by, it was very difficult to carry on a conversation at our table), and the restaurant was full. Right away, it took a long time to get waited on. When we finally did, we ordered our food. While waiting, our waiter came by, threw 3 bowls of chicken tortilla soup down without us even telling us what he was serving us. When we finally got our food, it was delicious, however, our waiter did not come back and check on us at all. He was not rude, but it seemed like he was flustered because they were clearly understaffed. I will probably go back to give it another shot.Special Features:
- Where's the Beef?2foodiesVIPDined on 6/21/2014My entree at Mago's was disappointing. I ordered a beef burrito without beans. What I received was a burrito with lots of rice and maybe some small pieces of meat -- I'm not really sure. It was flavorless. On the other hand, the cocktails and the guacamole were fine, so I will give Mago's another chance.
- Mago Grill&Cantina South BarringtonjdlovesfoodDined on 6/21/2014Food is excellent! Tableside guacamole is a must. Love the 3 different types of salsa. Really enjoyed the bread pudding. Service is ok…probably caught waiter on a bad day. Server should explain that tortilla soup comes with meal.Special Features: