Mago Grill & Cantina - South Barrington
100 W Higgins Rd, Suite M05
South Barrington, IL 60010Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
Mago Grill & Cantina - South Barrington
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.magodining.com/
- Phone: 8478444400x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm;
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Mexican
- Executive Chef: Juan Luis Gonzalez
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live Mariachi Music Every Thursday Night from 6-9pm
A word from Mago Grill & Cantina - South Barrington
Mago Grill is a modern twist on everyday dining featuring a delicious menu of authentic Mexican and Latin dishes created by chef Juan Luis Gonzalez. Open for lunch and dinner daily, 7 days a week. Family friendly dining, great for groups, too!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Mago Grill & Cantina - South Barrington reviews from OpenTable diners
132 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (60)fit for foodies (53)neighborhood gem (43)hot spot (43)special occasion (39)great for lunch (34)great for outdoor dining (33)kid-friendly (21)vibrant bar scene (17)romantic (11)late-night find (6)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Good but expensive for Mexican FoodSherryDVIPDined on 9/12/2014The food was quite good, but if you're gonna spend $90 for two people, it should be an expensive steak dinner. I had a very small skirt steak with mole and a chili relleno. My mom had three small tacos. We shared a shrimp ceviche - each had two cocktails. She was not a fan of the vegetarian taco at all, but liked the chicken tinga. Drinks are expensive. Decor is really nice and vibrant. No booths. Good food, but not worth the price, even with a Groupon.Special Features:
- Never disappoints!bigfamilyDined on 9/12/2014Such excellent service, the homemade, complimentary chicken soup is the BEST! We love the guacamole made table side. Mojitos can't be beat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BbrnDined on 9/10/2014Very loud, had a hard time conversing with my friendsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice lunchLindaDined on 9/10/2014Nice place for Mexican food for lunch. Good guacamole and large menu to choose from.Special Features:
- MagoStephanieDined on 9/6/2014I went to Mago for the first time and I absolutely loved it! The service was great, the food was amazing, and I was able to get a reservation without a problem! :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Twice There, Twice excellentSirDineALotVIPDined on 9/6/2014Unusual take on Mexican cuisine. All flavors work together- especially in the varioud complex moles - but beware! Spicy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yes!!t57dinneroutDined on 9/6/2014Excellent 'authentic' Mexican food, friendly staff, fun atmosphere. The guacamole cart is a must!!.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceFlamingoVIPDined on 9/6/2014We celebrated my birthday here and everything was great. Table side quac was awesome, as were the drinks and food, as usual. The special treat was the birthday salute, including a sombrero to take home!!!!!! A fun place to get some great food.Special Features:
- It was great!!!BarbaraVIPDined on 9/1/2014Had an early dinner there on Labor Day. Food was really good (fajitas for husband, quesadilla for me). Drinks were great. The only thing that kept us from rating it a "5" is we had churros for dessert and they were warm in places and very cold in others. Overall, loved the food and the experience. Good value and fun spot.Special Features:
- not enticingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014I took my family out to dinner here. The hostess seated us promptly and told us about their complimentary salsa .... and then it went down hill. They didn't know how to serve tequila "neat". I had to order kiddie cocktails for my kids from three separate people to get it and the they didn't anticipate our needs -more napkins, drink refills, etc. Nice atmosphere, horrible service, ok food-not worth the costSpecial Features:
- Hit or missHonestDinerVIPDined on 8/30/2014It was my second time here and the food wasn't as good. The squash tamale was disappointing. The service was inattentive. Fajitas were too smokey and making the dining room polluted. The decor is fun. It's something lively in the arboretum. The dessert special was pretty good - donut with hazelnut chocolate filling.Special Features:
- Love the placeMomDadNightOutDined on 8/30/2014Went there with friends, sat outdoors, very relaxing and friendly atmosphere. Will go again...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I loved this place!BebbieDined on 8/30/2014This was such a pleasant surprise from the standard mexican restaurant. The food is prepared with a special touch. I had the skirt steak with Ranchero mole sauce. It was delicious. My friend had the Tiger Shrimp with a coconut mole sauce. We both were very happy with our meals. Oh and dont forget the Margaritas. Wow! the tortilla chips are served with 3 different salsas to try and they were all good. Definitely will be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great meal!ScubaProVIPDined on 8/30/2014Mago just continues to impress. Every meal is consistent and Saturday's was no less. The quality of the meals is at a high level and Mago competes with the best in Chicago. Service is excellent for the suburbs which typically lags the best city restaurants. We had the Ropa Vieja which was a very tender brisket-based dish with a lot of authentic Mexican spices surrounding it and the table made guac was wonderful as well.Special Features:
- All around great dining experiencelesapDined on 8/29/2014Mago had a full menu that provides something for everyone. Although the prices are moderate the food is gourmet - not only in taste but presentation as well. Everyone from the hostess to the waiter to the buss persons - all were energetic, pleasant and accommodating. I am not usually a fan of fruity sangria so this sangria was amazing. More wine than fruit and very flavorful - I felt that $8 was a bit much for a small glass of sangria but if you get it on special it is only $5 which is well worth it! I witnessed a couple celebrating a birthday and the servers put a sombrero on the guys head and sang happy birthday - kind of fun. Lots of large tables of groups sharing dishes. Lots of couples. Definitely a great mix of people.Special Features:
- My favorite restaurant!doeverythinginloveDined on 8/29/2014I tell everyone about Mago South Barrington! The service is superb and the food amazing. The sauces and salsas are flavorful and unique and everything I've tried has been delicious. I have a gluten intolerance and they have so many options that are clearly labeled on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good; too noisyBarbaraVIPDined on 8/27/2014Made the mistake of going on a Wednesday when they had strolling musicians. Way too disruptive to enjoy dinner. Manager tried to help by seating us outside (thanks) but then the window wall opened and it was pretty loud. I will go back but on a different day of the week!
- Great FoodricachicaDined on 8/24/2014The food was great, and the staff was good too. It was busy so the support staff was trying to help. They kept forgetting things, like when we asked for water, but when reminded they were very sorry. There were 5 of us girls, and we never felt rushed, so we took our time, had a few drinks, and enjoyed the time we had there. Usually they are putting down the cheque and trying to get us to leave, but they let us have our time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!NotEasilyImpressedDined on 8/23/2014I have been a patron of the Arboretum for years. Can't tell you how many times I've passed Mago and wondered what it was. SO glad I finally checked it out! It's a little loud but the service and food was unbelievably spectacular! Steak waspperfectly cooked, guacamole was so good I could have made a meal of it... and the cocktails were delish. This place is my new standard for Mexican/Spanish fusion. Can't beat the quality!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, service, and drinksOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/22/2014As stated above, this place is great. Not only is the food great (if you like non tex-mex Mexican food), but the service is great. One of us spilled a drink by accident, and they replaced the drink free of charge. They make guacamole right by the table and customize it for you based on your tastes. We've been here a couple times now and definitely intend to keep going back.Special Features:
- Great food, fun ambianceRachaelDined on 8/20/2014Delicious food and insanely good margaritas! A friend and I went here on a Wednesday night for dinner/ birthday celebration. Boy... was it busy for the middle of the week. So glad we had a reservation. The food was great and plentiful. However, due to the crowds it was a tad noisy and was exacerbated by the mariachi. Not complaining though as it adds to the ambiance of the restaurant. Overall a pretty great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MNFoodieDined on 8/19/2014I loved the variety of food choices. We shared queso with chicken, chilis rellenos, enchiladas, and shrimp fajitas. They were all outstanding. The server was knowledgeable about menu items and friendly. I can't wait to visit my friends in the Chicago suburbs again. We'll certainly be dining at Mago Grill and Cantina.Special Features:
- HappyfoodieDined on 8/15/2014Delicious dinners, great service. Excellent guac!!Special Features:
- Fresh Via MexicanSteakVIPDined on 8/15/2014Great fresh Mexican Food. The table side (during dinner) guacamole is made the way you want and the chips are very good. You can make a meal of the combo. The entrees, tilapia and skirt steak were fantastic. Service could not be beat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome serverLoveDiningOutDined on 8/10/2014I've been twice and both times the food and service was excellent. Our server brought out samples of their famous mole sauces (6 of them) for us to try and explained each of them and what meat or fish they went best with. Server and bus boy were very cheerful and helpful! I had a flat iron steak with one of the moles for chicken or beef and it was EXCELLENT! Perfect medium rare! They also have guacamole prepared table side which was also very good. Several margarita choices - I had El Diablo which comes with a lager floater. Very different! Churros for dessert…warm and crisp and enough to share. It can get loud and festive so if you're looking for quiet and stuffy then go elsewhere. Thoroughly enjoyed every minute!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love this place!cpinedo8VIPDined on 8/9/2014Mago has become one of my favorite restaurants. Everything I have tried has been delicious. I always gauge a mexican restaurant based on their chips and salsa and Mago definitely exceeds expectations. I love going on wednesdays for $5 sangria and to enjoy the Mariachi band! Great place for a group celebration or a romantic night out!Special Features:
- Loved it!AdrienneMDined on 8/8/2014My husband and I went to Mago for my birthday and had a delicious lunch! Our server, Maria Elena was absolutely fabulous! We told her it was our first time here and she thoroughly explained items to us. She even brought us a few samples of the mole to try! The menu has a nice selection of items; something for everyone's taste! The guacamole was so fresh and yummy! We are looking forward to going back for dinner. Ceviche will definitely be next to try! The restaurant is colorful and inviting. I would recommend going to Mago!Special Features:
- Gives Abuelas food a run for its $LifeAsAChefsWifeDined on 8/7/2014Surpassed my expectations!I had just flown in from Texas 2hrs prior & needed to find a trendy, yet affordable, place to take my fiance for an early Bday dinner.The food, ambiance, & music were all very trendy/modern Latin. Mago takes boring-I mean typical-Mexican dishes & transforms them into something new and unexpected. Mago lets you venture out from what you believe Mexican food should be and shows you what it could be. The tacos, tamales, empandas,& Ropa Vieja were delish! Also, the staff was AWESOME and accommodated to my food allergies! We will be coming back & trying more. As a Mexican who is engaged to a Chef...I'm pleasantly surprised. It's about time someone got upscale Mexican food right near us!(Cute Bday Sombrero,song,&dessert)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NoisychoppedVIPDined on 8/5/2014Please close the ceilings it's way too loud and then we add the strolling music yikes. I can't hear the people at my tableSpecial Features:
- Unique and deliciousHappycamperDined on 8/3/2014When you walk in you know this is a different experience - a more sophisticated Mexican restaurant. Three interesting salsa's, table side guacamole prep, attentive service. My favorites - shrimp ceviche, skirt/flank steak, red snapper and the cheese rellenos. Took my 72 yr old Dad there who is a trained chef and he loved it. Wish someone had ordered a mole dish, can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food & serviceBababooey44Dined on 7/31/2014Guacamole made fresh at your table was very delicious! Will be returning for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/30/2014A lot of food and great skinny margaritas! The espresso flan was delicious and the service was great!Special Features:
- Johnny3VIPDined on 7/26/2014Great spot in South Barrington for Mexican. Table-side guacamole is fantastic as are the margaritas. Plenty of authentic entree choices with daily mole sauce specials. Service is attentive and very friendly. We will be back.
- Off day for Mago GrillSeahorse422Dined on 7/23/2014We had previously visited Mago Grill and loved it so much that we returned. During this visit we were disappointed due to our server being relatively new (as he explained to us), and the wandering band was playing so loud that we couldn't have conversation easily. The food was good, although due to our server, we had to ask for items that are normally replenished without having to ask. We WILL RETURN with hopes it was a one time thing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classy Mexican RestaurantElginiteRestaurantManDined on 7/19/2014You should get resv on weekends. I had them, and good thing. Sat at 7 was packed. It's a nice looking place. They make the guacamole fresh at your table, to any spiciness you desire with little bits of jalapeños. We loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just as plannedOurtimeoutDined on 7/18/2014Got there a little early and they were able to seat us right away. Waiter was polite, explained items on menu, and stayed around to check on order or get another drink. Food was delicious. Everything went smooth. No complaintsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Fun Place to Eat!JosephDined on 7/18/2014I've eaten lunch here twice, once inside and once outside. The food is delicious, authentic Mexican, and plentiful. The waitstaff is great, everyone is friendly, helpful, and constantly on the move! The one problem for me was the ambient sounds. Because I have a mildly difficult time hearing table conversations, the surrounding sounds hampered my ability to hear. When we ate outside, this wasn't a problem.Special Features:
- Great Foods and DrinksSolarMaxDined on 7/17/2014Great foods in general. Guacamole is excellent so do various types of margaritas. Dinner time (even weekday) is very busy so a reservation is recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Guacamole? Yes, please!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/11/2014The guacamole is made fresh, table side, and is delish! A must! The chicken tortilla soup tastes so fresh, like the veggies were just harvested specifically for your bowl of soup. The main dishes (our entire table ea. had something different)... Were so rich with flavors, steaks were so tender, everything just melts in your mouth! And you can't forget about the drinks... You will not regret these Margaritas in the morning! Again, so flavorful... Just wish the glass was bigger!Special Features:
- the4ofusDined on 7/9/2014Food and service was very good. One of the women in our group couldn't eat some of the food she ordered because it was too spicy. Maybe the next time you redo the menu, you can indicate how spicy the different tacos are. Loved the mariachis, however, when they played, it was so loud we couldn't even talk at our table. They seemed to stay in the same location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.