Mago Grill & Cantina - South Barrington
100 W Higgins Rd, Suite M05
South Barrington, IL 60010Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
Mago Grill & Cantina - South Barrington
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.magodining.com/
- Phone: 8478444400x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm;
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Mexican
- Executive Chef: Juan Luis Gonzalez
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live Mariachi Music Every Thursday Night from 6-9pm
A word from Mago Grill & Cantina - South Barrington
Mago Grill is a modern twist on everyday dining featuring a delicious menu of authentic Mexican and Latin dishes created by chef Juan Luis Gonzalez. Open for lunch and dinner daily, 7 days a week. Family friendly dining, great for groups, too!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerMexican
Mago Grill & Cantina - South Barrington - Best Restaurants in South Barrington ›
Mago Grill & Cantina - South Barrington reviews from OpenTable diners
162 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (80)fit for foodies (74)neighborhood gem (51)hot spot (50)great for outdoor dining (46)special occasion (44)great for lunch (44)kid-friendly (35)vibrant bar scene (25)romantic (12)late-night find (9)great for brunch (2)scenic view (2)Show More
- ReservationsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/22/2014I love this restaurant, but the mariachi band on Wednesdays is way too loud to have any sort of conversation. We also made a reservation and were seated 30 minutes after the reservation time at a table in the bar, not even in the restaurant area. We were told our guacamole would be comped, and then it never was and there was no one around to help with that when we noticed the bill. I was disappointed since I always recommend this place to people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty avant-garde Mexican foodDermmomDined on 10/20/2014I love this restaurant for their interesting flavors and presentation. We had the spicy shrimp fajitas that they served us in a volcanic bowl to keep the food warm. The shrimp and cactus leaves were flavored with a dark mole with slightly bitter accents that I really enjoyed. My husband and I shared the dish and there was plenty. They also include their chicken tortilla soup with all entrees and delicious chips and three tasty salsas. It was my daughter's birthday and they gave her a large sombrero and yummy chocolate pudding with whipped cream. We love to eat there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Moles !!!mauimafVIPDined on 10/20/2014I do love the design of Mago - the colors - the art. And the background music was at a perfect volume - something like Mexican soft jazz - conversation friendly. I now know how wonderful moles can be. They are sauces or gravies for savory dishes. And Mago does moles like nobody else. Their moles are created to marry with their entrees. Each is formulated by mixing, marinating, melding spices with the juices from the entree's protein. Each day there's a special menu and, of course, one or feature moles. And the main menu offers a list of moles that you can pair with meat, fish or fowl. Heaven!Special Features:
- Love this place1AndyCGVIPDined on 10/19/2014Mago is the best mexican food in the northwestern suburbs. It is also the best I've ever had but I haven't been to those famous ones downtown yet.Special Features:
- Good veggie varietyGreatDined on 10/11/2014I like Mago mostly because they have several vegetarian options. The flavor is very good.Special Features:
- Just AwesomeMcwhed96VIPDined on 10/10/2014Mago in the South Barrington Arboretum is just awesome. The service is always great, the food never fails and the fresh made guac always delivers. Make reservations!!!Special Features:
- Great Neighborhood FindFlamingoVIPDined on 10/8/2014This is a great addition to the South Barrington area. The table side guacamole is wonderful and there are lots of margarita choices. Fajitas are my favorite - classic chicken - but you gave multiple choices, beyond just steak/chicken, here too. The live music can be a little loud, but it contributes to the overall experience. A great choice for Mexican food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/8/2014The food was just average. They had a mariachi threesome playing that was way to loud and very annoying. The restaurant was not filled, and the server disappeared for long periods of time, especially when trying to pay.Special Features:
- Amazing food and great serviceSaraDined on 10/6/2014For our first visit, we were pleasantly surprised about Mago's amazing food and friendly staff. We look forward to returning again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just Awesome!JustOKonceinawhileDined on 10/4/2014The only complaint that I really have is the lighting in the restaurant. There was a glare on the menu and it was hard to read. Our waitress was scarce but that wasn't actually a bad thing, however, we did have a little trouble understanding her. We had to ask her two times what was in this one salsa and we still don't know what we were eating, but it was good.Special Features:
- Great food and margaritasLoveeatingoutDined on 10/3/2014My husband and I loved our experience starting with El Jeffe margaritas and moving to the chips and salas they give you as well as chicken tortilla soup. We had to also try the table side guacamole before our dinner. Each of us tried a different version of their skirt steak. Our only complaint would be that there is not a lot of room to wait before a table is ready.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not your ordinary MexicanLisaDined on 10/3/2014Inventive/Fresh Mexican dishes, along with the standards. Tableside Guac is a MUST!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First TimersWendellaDined on 10/3/2014This was my husband's and my first time here at the recommendation of a co-worker. We loved it! The food and the service was fantastic. I would call it gourmet Mexican food but with reasonable prices. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/30/2014Seriously awesome! Food was great, staff efficient and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EXCELENT!!! Best guacamole aroundJasonDined on 9/26/2014Went first time on a Wednesday and wife and I went back saturday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mexican gourmetMitchVIPDined on 9/26/2014Best Mexican food in northwestern illinois Recommend guacamole side dish and mole optinsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for date/girls nightAliciamarieDined on 9/25/2014Had drinks (amazing margaritas) and apps with a few girlfriends. Service was great so nice and on top of it:) food was very good. Guacamole was fresh and delishSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ole!2foodiesVIPDined on 9/21/2014Delicious, fresh mexican cuisine, and the best guacamole around! Excellent service. It gets very loud in there, but we will be back.Special Features:
- You could do betterworfnerDined on 9/21/2014This Mexican restaurant seems to care more about ambiance than food. The small serving of chips was dismal compared to most Mexican restaurants. Why put their salsas (they have 3) in containers so small that you can't get a chip in it to dip out the salsa? The salsas were bright orange, pale green, and dark brown, and altho not much for eye appeal, tasted okay, but nothing like standard tomato salsa that most people are used to. The mashed potatoes that comes with the carne asada is inedible--worst I've ever had in my life. The black beans were warm at best, and the carne asada (my comparison entree for Mex. restaurants) was rubbery and thick, not the thin flank steak that is normal. My wife's enchiladas were good. Pricey for the genre
- Best Mexican AroundsarahpDined on 9/20/2014By far our favorite Mexican in the Chicago burbs. Excellent food and service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MagoMAtthewDined on 9/20/2014For an upscale Mexican restaurant, you cannot go wrong. Their salsas are amazing!! It is a must try for the South Barrington restaurants.Special Features:
- LOVE, LOVE, LOVErgalaDined on 9/20/2014The best Mexican food I have ever had! Guacamole was amazing. Everything was DELICIOUS!! Service was phenomonal!!! Our waitress was excellent and very attentive and helpful. I cant wait to go back!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice for birthdaysschruszchVIPDined on 9/19/2014We had a great dinner there for my husband's birthday! They do it up right - gave him a Mexican sombero and a great choc moouse dessert with a song!
- Do you like Mariachi?OttyrDined on 9/17/2014We've dined at Mago for lunch numerous times and enjoyed the experiences, inside the dining room and when warm enough, outside on the patio. This was our first dinner experience and if it weren't for the overpowering mariachi band (which was very talented), I would have given this a fifth star in my overall and ambiance ratings. We were seated about three tables directly back from the front door and one table over from the 'garage' doors to the patio. The mariachi band started out standing right by the front door and we couldn't hear one another at our table until the band took a break. Once they resumed and moved around the dining room, conversation was still challenging, but not outright impossible anymore.Special Features:
- Good but expensive for Mexican FoodSherryDVIPDined on 9/12/2014The food was quite good, but if you're gonna spend $90 for two people, it should be an expensive steak dinner. I had a very small skirt steak with mole and a chili relleno. My mom had three small tacos. We shared a shrimp ceviche - each had two cocktails. She was not a fan of the vegetarian taco at all, but liked the chicken tinga. Drinks are expensive. Decor is really nice and vibrant. No booths. Good food, but not worth the price, even with a Groupon.Special Features:
- Never disappoints!bigfamilyDined on 9/12/2014Such excellent service, the homemade, complimentary chicken soup is the BEST! We love the guacamole made table side. Mojitos can't be beat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BbrnDined on 9/10/2014Very loud, had a hard time conversing with my friendsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice lunchLindaDined on 9/10/2014Nice place for Mexican food for lunch. Good guacamole and large menu to choose from.Special Features:
- MagoStephanieDined on 9/6/2014I went to Mago for the first time and I absolutely loved it! The service was great, the food was amazing, and I was able to get a reservation without a problem! :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Twice There, Twice excellentSirDineALotVIPDined on 9/6/2014Unusual take on Mexican cuisine. All flavors work together- especially in the varioud complex moles - but beware! Spicy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yes!!t57dinneroutDined on 9/6/2014Excellent 'authentic' Mexican food, friendly staff, fun atmosphere. The guacamole cart is a must!!.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceFlamingoVIPDined on 9/6/2014We celebrated my birthday here and everything was great. Table side quac was awesome, as were the drinks and food, as usual. The special treat was the birthday salute, including a sombrero to take home!!!!!! A fun place to get some great food.Special Features:
- Great FeelDonnaFiedlerDined on 9/5/2014This restaurant has a great vibe, great food - terrific service! The only complaint was the Mariachi Band. I'm sure in a less condusive environment they'd be great - but the accustics are so good in there that the horn/singer comes across SO LOUD and vibrates off the walls that you literally have to start shouting to speak to the person next to you - really. When they weren't playing - it was great!!Special Features:
- It was great!!!BarbaraVIPDined on 9/1/2014Had an early dinner there on Labor Day. Food was really good (fajitas for husband, quesadilla for me). Drinks were great. The only thing that kept us from rating it a "5" is we had churros for dessert and they were warm in places and very cold in others. Overall, loved the food and the experience. Good value and fun spot.Special Features:
- not enticingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014I took my family out to dinner here. The hostess seated us promptly and told us about their complimentary salsa .... and then it went down hill. They didn't know how to serve tequila "neat". I had to order kiddie cocktails for my kids from three separate people to get it and the they didn't anticipate our needs -more napkins, drink refills, etc. Nice atmosphere, horrible service, ok food-not worth the costSpecial Features:
- Hit or missHonestDinerVIPDined on 8/30/2014It was my second time here and the food wasn't as good. The squash tamale was disappointing. The service was inattentive. Fajitas were too smokey and making the dining room polluted. The decor is fun. It's something lively in the arboretum. The dessert special was pretty good - donut with hazelnut chocolate filling.Special Features:
- Love the placeMomDadNightOutDined on 8/30/2014Went there with friends, sat outdoors, very relaxing and friendly atmosphere. Will go again...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I loved this place!BebbieDined on 8/30/2014This was such a pleasant surprise from the standard mexican restaurant. The food is prepared with a special touch. I had the skirt steak with Ranchero mole sauce. It was delicious. My friend had the Tiger Shrimp with a coconut mole sauce. We both were very happy with our meals. Oh and dont forget the Margaritas. Wow! the tortilla chips are served with 3 different salsas to try and they were all good. Definitely will be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great meal!ScubaProVIPDined on 8/30/2014Mago just continues to impress. Every meal is consistent and Saturday's was no less. The quality of the meals is at a high level and Mago competes with the best in Chicago. Service is excellent for the suburbs which typically lags the best city restaurants. We had the Ropa Vieja which was a very tender brisket-based dish with a lot of authentic Mexican spices surrounding it and the table made guac was wonderful as well.Special Features:
- All around great dining experiencelesapDined on 8/29/2014Mago had a full menu that provides something for everyone. Although the prices are moderate the food is gourmet - not only in taste but presentation as well. Everyone from the hostess to the waiter to the buss persons - all were energetic, pleasant and accommodating. I am not usually a fan of fruity sangria so this sangria was amazing. More wine than fruit and very flavorful - I felt that $8 was a bit much for a small glass of sangria but if you get it on special it is only $5 which is well worth it! I witnessed a couple celebrating a birthday and the servers put a sombrero on the guys head and sang happy birthday - kind of fun. Lots of large tables of groups sharing dishes. Lots of couples. Definitely a great mix of people.Special Features: