Mago Grill & Cantina - Bolingbrook
641 E Boughton Rd
Bolingbrook, IL 60440Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
Mago Grill & Cantina - Bolingbrook
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.magodining.com/
- Phone: (630) 783-2222
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Mexican
- Executive Chef: Juan Luis Gonzalez
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Juan Luis Gonzalez 6307832222
A word from Mago Grill & Cantina - Bolingbrook
Mago Grill is a modern twist on everyday dining featuring a delicious menu of authentic Mexican and Latin dishes created by chef Juan Luis Gonzalez. Open for lunch and dinner daily, 7 days a week. Family friendly dining, great for groups, too!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Mago Grill & Cantina - Bolingbrook - Best Restaurants in Bolingbrook ›
Mago Grill & Cantina - Bolingbrook reviews from OpenTable diners
95 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (44)good for groups (34)great for lunch (30)neighborhood gem (29)great for outdoor dining (28)special occasion (22)hot spot (21)kid-friendly (19)vibrant bar scene (14)great for brunch (4)romantic (3)late-night find (2)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Great food, but too small of a locationSpgrlDined on 11/22/2014Very crowded for 6pm on a Saturday night. Had reservations and we were sat at 6 which was nice but there is no waiting area so I felt like I was hovering over diners waiting for a table (along with 4 other groups waiting). Bar area was full of diners so even though we showed up early hoping to get a drink at the bar, there was no room for that. They could easily fill a restaurant twice that size.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing moleBeeRidgettDined on 11/11/2014Our server, Sandy, was perfectly attentive without being obnoxious. She knew the menu well, suggested a delicious fresh lime juice margarita, made to order table side guacamole, and brought us a sampler plate of the 6 different mole sauces. So fantastic to try them first! I went with Chef Lou's mole of the week (the "regulars" on the menu were all tasty too). And then we continued to enjoy the rest of the samples with chips at our table. We were almost enticed with dessert, but were too full from pomegranate sangria, chips, and the large dinner portions (perfectly medium cooked skirt steak! I didn't know that was possible?!) Will definitely be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The BESTFoodieDined on 11/9/2014I review this every time and we just keep going back because we love the food, vibe and how great this place is for kids!Special Features:
- good Mexican foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/8/2014Margarita's were larger pours than downtown, interesting takes on traditional Mexican food, the vegetarian fajitas were excellentSpecial Features:
- Great findfoodheadDined on 11/4/2014Great food, drink & service. Spent almost 2 hours there talking with someone I hadn't seen in a long time & didn't feel rushed or pressured to hurry up & leave. Will be back soon & often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good ChoiceDaveDined on 10/31/2014Been dining here since it's opened. Never fails to impress the quality of the food and the friendliness of the staff. One of the best burritos I've ever tasted.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Mexican FoodGabriel7Dined on 10/24/2014After some arm twisting from my wife, I finally decided to take the family to this place. The food was spectacular and the service was very good too. My only caveat is that the place is a bit small so reservations are helpful. But if it's really packed, even a reservation won't guarantee a timely table, but you can always have a drink while you wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastico!grovecjDined on 10/23/2014From the Margaritas to the Mago Fajitas - it was the best Mexican food we've had in the suburbs! The service was also exceptional. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- PatPVIPDined on 10/22/2014Very impressed with food quality. Rarely found, this restaurant does everything is right. Sophisticated authentic flavors are masterfully achieved with excellent preparation and presentation. Mexican culinary heritage resonates in subtle, outstanding mole (we chose the special - buenisimo!) Delicious sangrias. This is not your typical mediocre suburban joint. Energetic ambiance and artful decor reflect warm Latin culture, and an extensive menu allures. Mago's food is a real standout, with authentic options simply not offered at most Mexican places. Will definitely be back to try other drool-worthy dishes. My only regret is that it's not in my neighborhood. Sure puts the sea of inferior Naperville restaurants to shame! Latin done right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, poor serviceL915Dined on 10/20/2014We went to Mago on Monday evening. The restaurant was not very crowded, so you can imagine why poor service was upsetting. The server was not attentive and we had to flag down others for additional drinks, napkins, etc. We asked for our check and the server was nowhere to be found for the next 10 minutes. One of the chefs that was standing around asked us if we wanted dessert and we informed him that we already told our server we wanted our check. We like the food so we'll probably be back. If the service is sub-par next time, we'll either go to another Mago location or find a new restaurant all together.
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/18/2014This our first visit to Mago, we enjoyed the food and drinks. Service was very good despite it being busy when we arrived.Special Features:
- Way too noisymeg625Dined on 10/17/2014This is a popular restaurant, and I do like the vibe, but this is not the place to go if you want to catch up with friends. My friends and I could barely hear each other. We were also repeatedly asked by several different wait staff if they could take our plates, and we just wanted to be left alone for a few minutes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date Night!FoodieDined on 10/16/2014It's rare we get one, and when we do, we go to Mago, our favorite restaurant. Unique flavors and dishes and so much to choose from for a vegetarian and her meat-eating husband. Not to mention, the margaritas and mojitos are off the hook.Special Features:
- MagoEdK8VIPDined on 10/14/2014The food is very authentic Mexican cuisine. The specials give a good variety to try something different. We have never had a bad meal here and have tried many different options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awful RestaurantElenaDined on 10/4/2014The service was simply awful! The food was very bad - I will not going back to this restaurant. Service: - The waitress grabbed aggressively the bill from my boyfriend's hands - She tapped him in the shoulder to take the order - We asked if there were onions on the empanadas - she said no, then the empanadas came with onions and when I pointed out this - she acknowledge that yes there are always onions on empanadas - She was clueless about the dessert menu options for "flan of the week" and "tres leches of the week: - She kept asking to take away food WHILE we were eating Food - Old ceviche - need to say more? - Overly sugary and syrupy drinks - Menu didn't specify the "arroz con pollo" was going to be pot pie style loaded with cheese
- Flavorless...FrequentDinerVIPDined on 9/26/2014Ambiance and service was good; however, the food lacked flavor. The meat, rice and beans needed seasoning. Definitely wasn't worth the cost.Special Features:
- EnjoyableOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/26/2014Service was excellent. A little pricey. Food was great!Special Features:
- Delicious food served hereSecondvisitDined on 9/7/2014Variety of reasons why you should eat at Mago Grill: good variety of food, generous portion sizes, reasonable prices. Great spot for celebrating a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BryanVIPDined on 9/4/2014Food and service are great. The mariachis were very loud. You had to almost shout to talk.
- good but noisyCaymuscatVIPDined on 8/30/2014The food is excellent with a variety of mole dishes and an outstanding house salad. The service is slow and spotty and the noise level is close to unbearable.
- Good spot in BolingbrookmelissabmurrayVIPDined on 8/26/2014This was a great spot for a weeknight dinner; we made a reservation, but I don't think it was necessary. We sat outside on the patio and were approached quickly by the server to let us know the specials. She came back to get our drink & appetizer order after we had a few minutes to look at the menu. The menu offered a lot of choices but was not overwhelming. We had an order of guacamole to start and both ended up taking leftovers of our entrees home. The portions were a pretty good deal for the price.Special Features:
- wowhappycamperDined on 8/22/2014Food and menu are great. Way too noisey. Won't be coming back at dinner time, couldn't hear the waitress or my dinner companions.Special Features:
- Great Food but why no points????BobbieVIPDined on 8/21/2014Wonderful choice of food, from Tex-Mex to Mexican gourmet. We will definitely come backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality Food, Inconsistent ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/18/2014We've dined here a number of times primarily because of the food, including made to order guacamole. They have vastly improved the wait time to receive entrees from when they first opened. However, service is hit or miss in other respects. On this occasion, when the waitress took our dinner order, she asked if we wanted the complimentary chicken tortilla soup, which we accepted. But we never received our soup, instead our entrees came. Later after clearing our plates from the table, we did not see her again for a good 15 minutes! Either offer us dessert or leave the check, please.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Mago Grillalwayshungry77Dined on 8/17/2014My family and I love Mago Grill! The food is great and so is the atmosphere. I've been here for Girl's Night Out and I've also been here with my family several times. It is the best place for all occasions! They make the best tableside guac. I've tried several items on their menu and I have never been disappointed. My 7 year old loves their Rollitos de Pollo, my 6 year old loves their empanandas and their tamales, my 4 year old loves the Nachos Libre. My husband is a huge fan of their Ropa Vieja.Special Features:
- Very goodFoodVIPDined on 8/17/2014My only complaint was they were out of 3 beers. That's a lot. I'd understand 1, but 3.? Better inventory is needed. Our waitress was very informative & kindI would recommend this to a friend.
- Always ExcellentDianneDined on 8/17/2014As always, the food and service were excellent. We have never had a bad experience at Mago. We definitely plan to return.Special Features:
- Great FoodjojoDined on 8/17/2014Every time we go to Mago we are always pleased with the food and the service. Food is fresh and piping hot when we get it. Best guacamole in the area. Servers are friendly and prompt.Special Features:
- Loud, noisy, rude, delicious food.gr8luknDined on 8/17/2014From the moment we walked in, the hostess never recognized we were sharing the same air, not even eye contact. Gave our name, then I guess we were supposed to wait, since she then walked away. This was a turnoff & I was so ready to leave, but this was a no-kids-date with my wife I kept my cool & suffered through the rest of the bad treatment. We eventually got our table. Better service there on. Waitress was attentive, food was great! Really loud inside, so when the heavily-accented waitress is attempting to tell you about all the food selections, you will feel like a 100-year-old person with malfunctioning hearing aids. Just wish we didn't have to go thru the Pearly Gates and have such a poor experience 5 feet from the front door.Special Features:
- TastyGFgirlDined on 8/12/2014Always enjoy going to Mago. Food is consistent and gluten free options are great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Your Typical Mexican FoodHudsonDined on 8/11/2014From the moment I sat down and was served a basket of chips with three different moles I knew this place was different. The menu is incredible - real food - real Mexican food. It's not your typical platters and combo platters. I can only describe this as gourmet Mexican. These were very creative dishes. I almost apologetically ordered a burrito. What I got was fresh, tasty, probably the best burrito I've ever had and I've had many burritos in my years. I will definitely return and try some of their other creations. It's a little pricier than standard Mexican fare but just a little and it is worth it.Special Features:
- Misleading Zagat ratingPeterCDined on 8/10/2014We made a significant trek to Mago Bolingbrook because we were looking for better-than-average Mexican food and they had received a very positive review by Zagat. While it wasn't bad by any means, it certainly was nothing special. The food was just so-so, and the actual restaurant was "anywhere-in-America" shopping mall standard, with a clientele to match. The best part of our meal was the chips and wonderful salsas and our drinks. Our server's enthusiasm and knowledge went far to make up for our disappointment, but we certainly won't be going back. If we want just average Mexican, we can get that a lot closer to home. In the meantime, our search goes on...Special Features:
- best mexican food aroundOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/5/2014Our family enjoys the table side guacamole and all the different food options
- Mago Grill and CantinaLike2eatDined on 8/2/2014Friendly greeting as we entered. Seated quickly. Our server was present soon after being seated. Food was excelent.Special Features:
- Best MargaritasTaylorAnnDined on 7/29/2014Great food. Spicy means spicy. I like that. I have not been able to find good Mexican food in a long time. The price is very reasonable. ts always crowded which means its always loud. I always use Open Table to get a table so I don't have to wait. Enjoy and again awesome margaritas.Special Features:
- Best authentic Mexican FoodMarieDined on 7/28/2014Great appetizers main dishes and desserts. Large tequila menu and awesome margarita's! GREAT SERVICESpecial Features:
- The following 283 reviews are from the Mago Grill & Cantina - Bolingbrook reviews archive.
- MagoOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/27/2014I was very disappointed in the service received. I was there once before & really enjoyed my experience. This visit makes me not want to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Mexican Food & Chile RellenosJKdinerDined on 7/25/2014This is my favorite place for chile relleno (and I'm very picky). one is cheese, the other meat. Delicious. The mole is ALWAYS superb also! If you are looking for authentic Mexican - you'll love this place.Special Features:
- Delicious as alwayseandaDined on 7/25/2014We love this place, and anytime we are in town we make a point to come here. We have been to Mago three times now and it has always been outstanding. Things that are to die for: the table-side prepared guacamole, the peach sangria, the mole sauces, the chipotle mashed potatoes, the margaritas. I could probably go on, but having only been here 3 times, we haven't had the chance to try everything on the menu. The menu is very extensive and there is truly something for everyone. Not only that, but the service is top notch. The wait staff are all friendly, attentive and knowledgeable about the menu. We can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Food was o.k., service pretty slowOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/23/2014Best thing about this restaurant was the guacamole. Tacos were o.k., steak was fatty. Margarita was o.k., nothing special. It was pretty crowded, service was slow. Not sure I will go back.Special Features: