Mago Grill & Cantina - Bolingbrook
641 E Boughton Rd
Bolingbrook, IL 60440Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
Mago Grill & Cantina - Bolingbrook
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.magodining.com/
- Phone: 6307832222
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Mexican
- Executive Chef: Juan Luis Gonzalez
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Juan Luis Gonzalez 6307832222
A word from Mago Grill & Cantina - Bolingbrook
Mago Grill is a modern twist on everyday dining featuring a delicious menu of authentic Mexican and Latin dishes created by chef Juan Luis Gonzalez. Open for lunch and dinner daily, 7 days a week. Family friendly dining, great for groups, too!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
- Diners' Choice WinnerMexican
Mago Grill & Cantina - Bolingbrook - Best Restaurants in Bolingbrook ›
Mago Grill & Cantina - Bolingbrook reviews from OpenTable diners
88 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (38)good for groups (31)great for lunch (29)great for outdoor dining (29)neighborhood gem (26)special occasion (19)hot spot (19)kid-friendly (15)vibrant bar scene (10)great for brunch (6)romantic (4)late-night find (3)scenic view (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/18/2014This our first visit to Mago, we enjoyed the food and drinks. Service was very good despite it being busy when we arrived.Special Features:
- Way too noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/17/2014This is a popular restaurant, and I do like the vibe, but this is not the place to go if you want to catch up with friends. My friends and I could barely hear each other. We were also repeatedly asked by several different wait staff if they could take our plates, and we just wanted to be left alone for a few minutes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MagoEdK8VIPDined on 10/14/2014The food is very authentic Mexican cuisine. The specials give a good variety to try something different. We have never had a bad meal here and have tried many different options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awful RestaurantElenaDined on 10/4/2014The service was simply awful! The food was very bad - I will not going back to this restaurant. Service: - The waitress grabbed aggressively the bill from my boyfriend's hands - She tapped him in the shoulder to take the order - We asked if there were onions on the empanadas - she said no, then the empanadas came with onions and when I pointed out this - she acknowledge that yes there are always onions on empanadas - She was clueless about the dessert menu options for "flan of the week" and "tres leches of the week: - She kept asking to take away food WHILE we were eating Food - Old ceviche - need to say more? - Overly sugary and syrupy drinks - Menu didn't specify the "arroz con pollo" was going to be pot pie style loaded with cheese
- Flavorless...FrequentDinerVIPDined on 9/26/2014Ambiance and service was good; however, the food lacked flavor. The meat, rice and beans needed seasoning. Definitely wasn't worth the cost.Special Features:
- EnjoyableOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/26/2014Service was excellent. A little pricey. Food was great!Special Features:
- Delicious food served hereSecondvisitDined on 9/7/2014Variety of reasons why you should eat at Mago Grill: good variety of food, generous portion sizes, reasonable prices. Great spot for celebrating a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BryanVIPDined on 9/4/2014Food and service are great. The mariachis were very loud. You had to almost shout to talk.
- good but noisyCaymuscatVIPDined on 8/30/2014The food is excellent with a variety of mole dishes and an outstanding house salad. The service is slow and spotty and the noise level is close to unbearable.
- Good spot in BolingbrookmelissabmurrayVIPDined on 8/26/2014This was a great spot for a weeknight dinner; we made a reservation, but I don't think it was necessary. We sat outside on the patio and were approached quickly by the server to let us know the specials. She came back to get our drink & appetizer order after we had a few minutes to look at the menu. The menu offered a lot of choices but was not overwhelming. We had an order of guacamole to start and both ended up taking leftovers of our entrees home. The portions were a pretty good deal for the price.Special Features:
- wowhappycamperDined on 8/22/2014Food and menu are great. Way too noisey. Won't be coming back at dinner time, couldn't hear the waitress or my dinner companions.Special Features:
- Great Food but why no points????BobbieVIPDined on 8/21/2014Wonderful choice of food, from Tex-Mex to Mexican gourmet. We will definitely come backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality Food, Inconsistent ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/18/2014We've dined here a number of times primarily because of the food, including made to order guacamole. They have vastly improved the wait time to receive entrees from when they first opened. However, service is hit or miss in other respects. On this occasion, when the waitress took our dinner order, she asked if we wanted the complimentary chicken tortilla soup, which we accepted. But we never received our soup, instead our entrees came. Later after clearing our plates from the table, we did not see her again for a good 15 minutes! Either offer us dessert or leave the check, please.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very goodFoodVIPDined on 8/17/2014My only complaint was they were out of 3 beers. That's a lot. I'd understand 1, but 3.? Better inventory is needed. Our waitress was very informative & kindI would recommend this to a friend.
- Always ExcellentDianneDined on 8/17/2014As always, the food and service were excellent. We have never had a bad experience at Mago. We definitely plan to return.Special Features:
- Great FoodjojoDined on 8/17/2014Every time we go to Mago we are always pleased with the food and the service. Food is fresh and piping hot when we get it. Best guacamole in the area. Servers are friendly and prompt.Special Features:
- Loud, noisy, rude, delicious food.gr8luknDined on 8/17/2014From the moment we walked in, the hostess never recognized we were sharing the same air, not even eye contact. Gave our name, then I guess we were supposed to wait, since she then walked away. This was a turnoff & I was so ready to leave, but this was a no-kids-date with my wife I kept my cool & suffered through the rest of the bad treatment. We eventually got our table. Better service there on. Waitress was attentive, food was great! Really loud inside, so when the heavily-accented waitress is attempting to tell you about all the food selections, you will feel like a 100-year-old person with malfunctioning hearing aids. Just wish we didn't have to go thru the Pearly Gates and have such a poor experience 5 feet from the front door.Special Features:
- TastyGFgirlDined on 8/12/2014Always enjoy going to Mago. Food is consistent and gluten free options are great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Your Typical Mexican FoodHudsonDined on 8/11/2014From the moment I sat down and was served a basket of chips with three different moles I knew this place was different. The menu is incredible - real food - real Mexican food. It's not your typical platters and combo platters. I can only describe this as gourmet Mexican. These were very creative dishes. I almost apologetically ordered a burrito. What I got was fresh, tasty, probably the best burrito I've ever had and I've had many burritos in my years. I will definitely return and try some of their other creations. It's a little pricier than standard Mexican fare but just a little and it is worth it.Special Features:
- Misleading Zagat ratingPeterCDined on 8/10/2014We made a significant trek to Mago Bolingbrook because we were looking for better-than-average Mexican food and they had received a very positive review by Zagat. While it wasn't bad by any means, it certainly was nothing special. The food was just so-so, and the actual restaurant was "anywhere-in-America" shopping mall standard, with a clientele to match. The best part of our meal was the chips and wonderful salsas and our drinks. Our server's enthusiasm and knowledge went far to make up for our disappointment, but we certainly won't be going back. If we want just average Mexican, we can get that a lot closer to home. In the meantime, our search goes on...Special Features:
- best mexican food aroundOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/5/2014Our family enjoys the table side guacamole and all the different food options
- Mago Grill and CantinaLike2eatDined on 8/2/2014Friendly greeting as we entered. Seated quickly. Our server was present soon after being seated. Food was excelent.Special Features:
- Best MargaritasTaylorAnnDined on 7/29/2014Great food. Spicy means spicy. I like that. I have not been able to find good Mexican food in a long time. The price is very reasonable. ts always crowded which means its always loud. I always use Open Table to get a table so I don't have to wait. Enjoy and again awesome margaritas.Special Features:
- Best authentic Mexican FoodMarieDined on 7/28/2014Great appetizers main dishes and desserts. Large tequila menu and awesome margarita's! GREAT SERVICESpecial Features:
- MagoOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/27/2014I was very disappointed in the service received. I was there once before & really enjoyed my experience. This visit makes me not want to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Mexican Food & Chile RellenosJKdinerDined on 7/25/2014This is my favorite place for chile relleno (and I'm very picky). one is cheese, the other meat. Delicious. The mole is ALWAYS superb also! If you are looking for authentic Mexican - you'll love this place.Special Features:
- Delicious as alwayseandaDined on 7/25/2014We love this place, and anytime we are in town we make a point to come here. We have been to Mago three times now and it has always been outstanding. Things that are to die for: the table-side prepared guacamole, the peach sangria, the mole sauces, the chipotle mashed potatoes, the margaritas. I could probably go on, but having only been here 3 times, we haven't had the chance to try everything on the menu. The menu is very extensive and there is truly something for everyone. Not only that, but the service is top notch. The wait staff are all friendly, attentive and knowledgeable about the menu. We can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Food was o.k., service pretty slowOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/23/2014Best thing about this restaurant was the guacamole. Tacos were o.k., steak was fatty. Margarita was o.k., nothing special. It was pretty crowded, service was slow. Not sure I will go back.Special Features:
- Missed the mark todayfunoneDined on 7/13/2014My wife and I have been to Mago about five times now, we like it. The shrimp emanadas are to die for. Moles are very good and a wide variety. We were put off our last two visits though. Our visit before this last one I had the Aroz con Pollo, I could see it is a great dish but was prepared too salty. Our most recent visit, the green dipping sauce was very salty and the heat in the other dipping sauces and one of the other sauces with our dinner (not a mole) was too spicy for us also. We will go back and hope they see this about the salt and the heat in the food.Special Features:
- Great food, very loudhab10213VIPDined on 7/12/2014I am no expert on authentic Mexican cuisine, however, in my opinion, Mago does a great job. The food was extremely flavorful and the margaritas were INCREDIBLE. If you just want a good margarita, this is the spot to go. The acoustics were terrible however. This made it very hard to talk. So if you don't mind yelling through your dinner, you'll be very pleased with this restaurant.Special Features:
- Great 1st experienceLuGaRDined on 7/12/2014Our 1st visit and really impressed! Best part was the freshly made guacamole. The margaritas and food were delicious! Our waiter was great along w the rest of the staff. Not overly priced. We will be returning soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food at Good PriceBolingbrookmaryDined on 7/11/2014Chef combines various flavors and styles from Latin America and Mexico to great wonderful flavors. Presentation is another strong point of his. Indoor seating when full gets a bit loud, so I suggest outdoors. The table side guacamole is fantastic and the Chicken Tinga is to die for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not impressed.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/11/2014Food was very bland for Mexican food. I know why people would like it though-it was very Americanized.
- First Time Was OutstandingMikeDined on 7/11/2014We have heard from many how good Mago's is, and finally went for dinner on a Saturday night. We were not disappointed. The bartender was excellent and made awesome margaritas. The food was outstanding, as was the service. We will dine here for sure again in the future.Special Features:
- Favorite Local PlaceFoodieDined on 7/11/2014If we ever moved, this would be the place we miss. BIG. They changed their orange peanut salsa and it's much spicier and better!Special Features:
- ElkeDined on 7/5/2014The noise level was terrible. It was very loud. They need to do something about that. Our waiter was excellent. Food was good. Nice variety.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JenMDined on 7/5/2014The food and service were both amazing! We will definitely be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as usual!NickVIPDined on 7/5/2014Tacos are great, love their chips and salsa too! try the plantains!Special Features:
- Great tequila selectionbarryVIPDined on 7/3/2014Good food and a very enthusiastic waitress with a fantastic tequila selection. There was a Mariachi band that made it hard to hold a conversation but overall a very enjoyable evening.
- EXPERIENCEBiancaDined on 6/28/2014Overall, I rate this restaurant 5 stars. I got seated right away since I had made reservations. The service was fairly good, the waitress was dragging at times with our drinks, and for the check. The food was very delicious and very tasty as well as the drinks. I enjoyed eating the guacamole. This was a very good experience and I would like to come here again. I recommend this place to anyone who enjoys mexican food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 267 reviews are from the Mago Grill & Cantina - Bolingbrook reviews archive.