Mago Grill & Cantina - Arlington Heights
115 West Campbell Street
Arlington Heights, IL 60005Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
Mago Grill & Cantina - Arlington Heights
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.magodining.com/
- Phone: 8472532222
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday-Saturday: 11:00am-4:00pm, Sunday: 11am-4:00pm; Dinner: Monday-Thursday: 4:00pm-11:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm-1:00am, Sunday: 4:00pm-10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Mexican
- Executive Chef: Juan Luis Gonzalez
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: For personal service, call Chef Ric Munoz at 847-253-2222.
- Special Events: Live Mariachis every Wednesday night from 6-9pm
A word from Mago Grill & Cantina - Arlington Heights
A celebration of Mexico's heritage, Mago Grill & Cantina is the creation of award-winning Chef Juan Luis Gonzalez. It's original Mexican and Latin menu is comprised of authentic favorites including freshly smashed tableside guacamole, seafood ceviches, savory salsas, fresh salads, and main dishes of steak, chicken, pork and seafood including the chef's own Grandma Paula's family recipes with vegetarian and gluten-free friendly items. The full service bar caters to margarita and tequila connoisseurs. Open for lunch, dinner and cocktails daily, 7 days a week. Family friendly dining, great for groups, too!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerMexican
Mago Grill & Cantina - Arlington Heights - Best Restaurants in Arlington Heights ›
Mago Grill & Cantina - Arlington Heights reviews from OpenTable diners
99 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (57)fit for foodies (46)great for outdoor dining (35)good for groups (33)great for lunch (26)hot spot (25)special occasion (23)kid-friendly (18)late-night find (10)vibrant bar scene (10)romantic (8)scenic view (5)notable wine list (1)Show More
- loved ityoityDined on 9/27/2014a real gem.Outstanding imaginative food. Brazilian Tilapia with mole sauce was the best seafood I have ever hadSpecial Features:
- Mago Is Consistently GreatWhit0525VIPDined on 9/20/2014We normally go to Mago South Barrington. However, it was booked so we decided to try Mago Arlington Heights. We had as good of an experience at Mago AH as we normally have at Mago SB. The drinks were very good and the food was very tasty. Our normally picky kids and their friends enjoyed it also and ate all of their food. We will definitely continue to choose Mago when we want great gourmet Mexican food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious salsas and moles2dinersVIPDined on 9/19/2014This was a last minute open table find for us on a Friday night, at 8:30. They seated us on time in a nice corner booth. The restaurant is small but attractive. It was very loud that night, and crowded. Conversation was a little difficult because of the noise, but got quieter later on.Nevertheless, the food was delicious and beautifully presented. There are about 4 -5 mole choice and a large menu. Guacamole is made to order at your table and is a very large portion. There are 3 lovely salsas served chips to start. They have outdoor tables, too. Only one negative! The rest rooms are out in the hall by the theatre, not actually in the restaurant. If you have an elderly person with you or young children, they are a little out of the way.Special Features:
- CelebrateDined on 9/19/2014Waiter was very attentive and great service for all the questions we had on the menu. He also understood a birthday was being celebrated. Somewhat noisy, but the food was delicious.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/13/2014Great service. Food is fresh and tastes good. I would go back. Like the coctail selections, mole selections, and the 3 table salsas.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Won't returnDisappointedDined on 9/13/2014Disappointing. Drinks skimpy for the price. Felt we were being pushed out the door before we had finished our meal.
- foodtooDined on 9/12/2014good food although fish was cold..pretty loud/hard to carry on a conversationSpecial Features:
- Enjoyable LunchJimboDined on 9/11/2014I took some international visitors to Mago so that they could experience some great Mexican food. The restaurant did not disappoint us. The food was excellent and so was the service. Our group really enjoyed the lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/4/2014Mago never dissapoints. The food is always great. Form a wonderful tequila selection to spectacular mole the chef always deliversSpecial Features:
- Everything but ServiceNavigcarDined on 8/30/2014Very friendly, awesome food, a little loud and service could have been better. None are deal breakers, I will go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tastebud1tastebud1Dined on 8/30/2014This restaurant is in the downtown AH area, next to the tracks. The neighborhood is fitting for eclectic venues and this fits right in. Good food, service, but wow, is it loud! High ceilings and long tables for groups right next to tables for 2 to 4 make for a bad mix. The groups at the long tables end up shouting over themselves and before you know it, everyone in the restaurant is yelling just to converse. If I were management, i'd find a way to segregate larger groups or tables, maybe with half walls, corner spots, or the like. Back to the food - very well done. Margaritas a little sweet, but not bad. Good mole's. The ceviche - maybe less tomato flavor and more citrus. Outside of that, thumbs up!Special Features:
- great food and service, but noisyyum234Dined on 8/28/2014went to mago on a Thursday night with my boyfriend. the food was great. I had veggie fajitas And my boyfriend had the veggie enchiladas. our server was great, and would have overall been a positive experience, but the noise level in the place in outrageous. we ended up leaving before finishing our drinks because it was too loud. however, it didn't bother me as much as my boyfriend, so I'd say as long as you know it's going to be a loud place, you will be fine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch El FrescoJimboDined on 8/27/2014We had an enjoyable lunch outside at Mago. The food was good and the service was very attentive. I would definitely recommend this to my friends.Special Features:
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/25/2014Food is always good with a diverse menu rather than typical tacos & burritos and House drinks are tasty.Special Features:
- Great Sangria!ReunionDined on 8/24/2014Fun place with Good food and Great Sangria!! This restaurant has consistently good food. Great place groups or to catch up with a friend. Option to eat outdoors is plus as well.Special Features:
- Always a good choiceJtcosgroDined on 8/23/2014Love me some Mago! Great menu, mole sauces and fresh guacamole always keep us coming back. My kids love it too - great local place.Special Features:
- Tasty yet disappointingcasualdinerDined on 8/22/2014Typically Mago is great. On this night, the service was slow. It took at least 15 minites to get our drinks from the bar. The server delayed bringing out the soup after we ordered, our food came just as we were finishing our last bite of soup. My boyfriend said the flavor of his steak was good, but it wasn't hot when he received it. He assumed it had been sitting around for a while. We were a little disappointed especially since it wasn't that crowded and there were empty tables around us. I find the service at the Barrington location much better and will be going back there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Popular dinner spotMemberDined on 8/15/2014Nice for outdoor dining, with good quality and quantity of food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So loud!HappyDined on 8/4/2014Went there on a Monday night - place was full because the food is tasty BUT the noise level is unbearable. It's quite amazing and not in a good way. You seriously can't hear the person directly seated directly across from you. The owners need to pay attention to these reviews and do something about it or pull some tables... It's REALLY bad. noise level is in practically every review - I obviously did not yield the warnings but will in the future.
- too noisy, bad servicelocalcustomerDined on 7/26/2014The restaurant is extremely noisy on a busy night. Can't hear your dinner companions. Not sure what they can do about this but they should look into it. The service was very very slow. One of my companions had to take his meal to go because he had to get to work. When the food finally came they brought me the wrong side dish. They not bring flour tortillas for my friend with corn allergies despite asking a few times. Asked for a to go box for my left overs which never came, instead someone just took my plate away. It's too bad because the food is delicious and I doubt I'll go back soon.Special Features:
- BobSquatDined on 7/23/2014Have eaten here numerous times. They are always welcoming with great food. Its worked out great for special occasions and a fun night out, but they have also been accommodating when we have our kids too. Great menu, great venue.Special Features:
- Would Not Go BackjgklVIPDined on 7/19/2014Ambitious menu that promises upscale Mexican food and drink. They deliver on the drinks and fail on the food. Flat Iron steak so tough that my dog could not eat the left overs. Alaskan salmon with mole sauce. Great salmon, the mole was a joke. Tables-side guacamole was excellent. Problem was only one servers and so many tables, took over 45 minutes to get it. Tight quarters, sat with elbows pined to sides to avoid getting clipped by staff rushing back and forth. Had to yell to hear person across table, (so was everyone else). It was like eating in a Mexican bus station at rush hour. Never again....
- Mago is great!mcfly89Dined on 7/18/2014I always love coming to Mago because their food is amazing! I've never been disappointed with their food or their service! I recommend this place as often as I can! The guacamole is to die for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Meal!acadyDined on 7/4/2014First dining experience at Mago and had a wonderful meal. We ate outside in their patio as the weather was nice. Wait staff was friendly and attentive. It was difficult to decide on which entrée to order as there were so many mouthwatering items on the menu. They even had gluten-free and vegetarian dishes. We liked the trio of salsas that came to the table first, especially the orange one. We ordered the mole ranchero chicken and some tacos for dinner. All the food was delicious. Can't wait to go back and try more dishes.Special Features:
- Not the usual Mexican placeBikermomVIPDined on 7/2/2014Our third time there. We had a flank steak with Mole that was truly out of this world. Everything is done to perfection. Highly recommend their Calamari appetizer which is done as a type of salad with a spicy vinaigrette.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad ExperienceIdinealotVIPDined on 6/28/2014Our entire experience was sub par. Food was ok but appitizers and main courses came out at same time. Noise level was unbearable. Tables to close together to not get bumped every time someone walked by. Drink orders took too long and no desert was never offered. Will not be going back....ever!
- Delicious Fun Birthday TreatOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/28/2014I took my parents (in their 80's) for their first visit to Mago on my mother's birthday. We had reservations and were seated right away. Our waitress was AMAZING! She was very attentive as well as patient in explaining MANY items to my parents. She even gave us a sampler of all the different Mole sauces - much appreciated. My parents & I LOVED our food! Then my mother was presented with a fun sombrero and dessert treat for her birthday. They were so happy! Thank you for a wonderful dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodBetsyDined on 6/23/2014Our party of 5 had reservations at 6 p.m. on a Monday evening; the table was ready and waiting. Our service was great and everyone enjoyed their meals. The Tortilla soup was a nice surprise and delicious! The guacamole was freshly made at the table and was made to our liking (medium spicy, few onions). I would definitely recommend!Special Features:
- Great find!JKC9Dined on 6/19/2014Great place with excellent food and service! Only drawback is it's loud....watch where you sit, stay away from larger parties...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT FOOD! LONG WAIT!!!RpittyDined on 6/15/2014If it wasn't for the amount of time for us to receive our entrees, I would rate this place 5 stars. The food was amazing even though it's a bit on the pricey side. It took forever to get our food, close to 90 minutes and it was quite empty at the time we were there. I can't imagine what the wait would be like during a full house.Special Features:
- Ropa Vieja on pointw8lifter21Dined on 6/13/2014It was delicious! Restaurant was a little loud on a Friday night but we were seated outside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SenoritaCelebrateDined on 6/13/2014Atmosphere is energizing! Fahitas and guacamole is crunchy delicious! Wine glasses need a stem!Special Features:
- Great food and ambiance!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/10/2014Good variety and tacos are tasty. Not impressed with the timing of the entree coming out at the same time as the appetizer. Tacos got cold while eating the ap :(Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great meal!!peachesDined on 6/7/2014Mago grill is a family favorite when looking for excellent mexican food. The food quality is great & their salsa & Moles are really good! We really like the personal attention that we get when eating there. They are always welcoming and friendly. I would highly recommend Mago's!Special Features:
- Don't go herelvnvrioDined on 6/6/2014The food is average and overpriced, hostesses are totally unaccomodatimg, and the noise level is unbearable. The only good things I can say are that our waitress was good and even though it wasn't prepared table side (because there was absolutely no room), the guacamole was pretty good.
- Lunch at MagoJimboDined on 6/5/2014Good food. The service was just OK. No host hostess available when we arrived so we waited about 5 minutes to be seated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 505 reviews are from the Mago Grill & Cantina - Arlington Heights reviews archive.
- LOVE this placetrisarahtops94Dined on 6/2/2014I absolutely love going to Mago. I have to eat gluten free and nearly everything on their menu is gluten free or can be made gluten free. I have yet to be disappointed by anything I've ordered. Their chips are the BEST. This is my boyfriend and my favorite restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mago Cantina Arlington Heightsth79Dined on 5/31/2014Had a Saturday 6:30pm reservation and seated immediately. Tables are spaced out nicely, not on top of each other like a lot of places. Chips and salsa came fast but without explanation of the 3 salsas. Had to ask the waiter when he came a few minutes later to describe them. Either way they were good and the chips were good - still warm. We got the guacamole, asked for medium heat and were disappointed. Very bland. They should offer 2 sizes of guacs because it is way too much for 2 people. We both ordered the tacos. I had the hongos, chicken tinga, and the blackened red snapper. All great but the snapper was under-seasoned. The sauces on the tinga and hongos had good heat. I had a mango ginger margarita, hubs had sangria that was fab.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Normally a favorite ...lovetorunandeatDined on 5/24/2014Mago is one of my favorite places to eat! But this last visit was by far the wost dining experience I've had in a long time. Our waiter was beyond terrible. He left us with a single drink each for well over an hour and disappeared. We had to talk to the hostess to get service. The waiter then came running to our call and proceeded to bring the meals ... eventually. My burrito was luke warm and the cheese inside was clearly not melted. I sent it back and it was returned with the wrong sauce. Eventually it was right, but WOW. I will return, but I hope this waiter will not be there, as he wrecked what should have been a fun girl's night out!Special Features:
- Fun Arlington Heights dining1suburbandadVIPDined on 5/16/2014Get your mole sauce on the side unless you like your entree drowned in the sauce. Enjoy the guacamole prepped at your table to your specifications. An interested selection of margaritas and similarly themed drinks are a plus. A good place to go if you are seeing a show at the nearby Metropolis.Special Features: