Mago Grill & Cantina - Arlington Heights
115 West Campbell Street
Arlington Heights, IL 60005Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
Mago Grill & Cantina - Arlington Heights
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.magodining.com/
- Phone: (847) 253-2222
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday-Saturday: 11:00am-4:00pm, Sunday: 11am-4:00pm; Dinner: Monday-Thursday: 4:00pm-11:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm-1:00am, Sunday: 4:00pm-10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Mexican
- Executive Chef: Juan Luis Gonzalez
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: For personal service, call Chef Ric Munoz at 847-253-2222.
- Special Events: Live Mariachis every Wednesday night from 6-9pm
A word from Mago Grill & Cantina - Arlington Heights
A celebration of Mexico's heritage, Mago Grill & Cantina is the creation of award-winning Chef Juan Luis Gonzalez. It's original Mexican and Latin menu is comprised of authentic favorites including freshly smashed tableside guacamole, seafood ceviches, savory salsas, fresh salads, and main dishes of steak, chicken, pork and seafood including the chef's own Grandma Paula's family recipes with vegetarian and gluten-free friendly items. The full service bar caters to margarita and tequila connoisseurs. Open for lunch, dinner and cocktails daily, 7 days a week. Family friendly dining, great for groups, too!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Mago Grill & Cantina - Arlington Heights reviews from OpenTable diners
101 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (67)fit for foodies (49)good for groups (32)great for outdoor dining (28)great for lunch (26)hot spot (24)special occasion (18)kid-friendly (18)vibrant bar scene (10)late-night find (8)romantic (4)scenic view (4)notable wine list (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Great salsasGreenQueenDined on 11/13/2014Great fresh food and gluten free available. No waiting for our reservationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Local Fare!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/12/2014Read reviews and decided to try out this local restaurant. Totally satisfied! Very good food and GREAT service from Wendy! We would definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could have been betternmorrisDined on 11/8/2014Our server was terribly pushy and overbearing, it definitely didn't help the experience. The fish tacos were a bit fishy tasting for our liking. It was a cute restaurant that was local for us so we were hoping for a better experience.Special Features:
- Great foodtakeme80sVIPDined on 11/6/2014We loved everything we ate... the tacos were particularly good. But... The wait was REALLY long and we had a reservation!Special Features:
- FoodieDined on 11/6/2014The absolute best Mexican outside the city, and as good as the best in the city.Special Features:
- Mas o menosMattSVIPDined on 11/3/2014Good was fresh but nothing special. Service was great but my date was beautiful and server was there more for that than anything else. Guacamole was handmade but lacked any flavor. The calamari app was great but ice cold and the snapper was great. It's an ok place but nothing special. They did let us sit without rushing us out which was very nice.Special Features:
- Excellent Mexican FoodmikeDined on 11/2/2014The Arlington Heights location is better than the South Barrington location which is also very good. Friendly management.Special Features:
- Reliably GoodMichaeljm4VIPDined on 11/1/2014Mago never disappoints. Great place for befotre or after shows at the Metropolis! Wonderful Guacamole prepared tableside and and the best tilapia tacos I ever had. Great Margaritas with Mescal and a host of others. Always seems crowded but worth the wait!!!!!!Special Features:
- Late LunchJimboVIPDined on 10/14/2014This is one of my favorite restaurants in the area. The food is always good and so is the service.Special Features:
- good foodkolithDined on 10/13/2014Food was good but not a great value. Drinks $8 but small and full of ice. My dish was a little to spicy asked for sour creme to take it and was charged $1 for it! My dish was 1 small chicken breast rice beans for $17
- Good food and service, very noisyLIttleBirdDined on 10/10/2014We ate here prior to a show at the Metropolis, so the location was very convenient. Food was great, and everything on the menu looked good. Our server was very attentive. However, the tables were very close together and the noise level so loud that it was almost impossible for my husband and I to hear each other even across a small table.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Little CrampedMyopineDined on 10/9/2014Could have been bad timing, 6:30/Thurs? Hostess led us to an 18"x24" table by the kitchen door, "better?" Got us same table on a blank exterior wall with a fire alarm pull in my wife's ear and a mention of another move to a window after table cleared but that never materialized. Dos Equis on tap per menu did not exist and they "glitched" my debit card making my wife offer hers (same account) which was fine. The food and server were good/friendly & the staff generally seemed to be trying. They comp'd us a bowl of tortilla soup that my wife who salts heavily found too salty and couldn't eat. Too many little things went "south" for it to have been an enjoyable outing.Special Features:
- Consistant on Food and ServiceCarlmelDined on 10/7/2014Mago hasn't disappointed yet. Food is great and service is attentive. Keep up the good work!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- business meetingFood3loverDined on 10/7/2014The service was good, the food was good. I went there for a business meeting. It was easy to talk, but next visit it will be with my husband. I think this restaurant fulfills multiple niches. I did think the quesadilla had a little too much cheese.Special Features:
- Great Servicecsloan20Dined on 10/6/2014Amazing service and delicious food. Always a treat when my boyfriend and I dine here. Wendy was beyond fantastic as a server. Attentive and friendly!Special Features:
- Mago is great!Dmgp712Dined on 9/28/2014Always enjoy the food. I like to mix and match 3 taco dinner. Get to try a little of everything!Special Features:
- loved ityoityDined on 9/27/2014a real gem.Outstanding imaginative food. Brazilian Tilapia with mole sauce was the best seafood I have ever hadSpecial Features:
- Mago Is Consistently GreatWhit0525VIPDined on 9/20/2014We normally go to Mago South Barrington. However, it was booked so we decided to try Mago Arlington Heights. We had as good of an experience at Mago AH as we normally have at Mago SB. The drinks were very good and the food was very tasty. Our normally picky kids and their friends enjoyed it also and ate all of their food. We will definitely continue to choose Mago when we want great gourmet Mexican food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious salsas and moles2dinersVIPDined on 9/19/2014This was a last minute open table find for us on a Friday night, at 8:30. They seated us on time in a nice corner booth. The restaurant is small but attractive. It was very loud that night, and crowded. Conversation was a little difficult because of the noise, but got quieter later on.Nevertheless, the food was delicious and beautifully presented. There are about 4 -5 mole choice and a large menu. Guacamole is made to order at your table and is a very large portion. There are 3 lovely salsas served chips to start. They have outdoor tables, too. Only one negative! The rest rooms are out in the hall by the theatre, not actually in the restaurant. If you have an elderly person with you or young children, they are a little out of the way.Special Features:
- CelebrateDined on 9/19/2014Waiter was very attentive and great service for all the questions we had on the menu. He also understood a birthday was being celebrated. Somewhat noisy, but the food was delicious.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/13/2014Great service. Food is fresh and tastes good. I would go back. Like the coctail selections, mole selections, and the 3 table salsas.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Won't returnDisappointedDined on 9/13/2014Disappointing. Drinks skimpy for the price. Felt we were being pushed out the door before we had finished our meal.
- foodtooDined on 9/12/2014good food although fish was cold..pretty loud/hard to carry on a conversationSpecial Features:
- Enjoyable LunchJimboVIPDined on 9/11/2014I took some international visitors to Mago so that they could experience some great Mexican food. The restaurant did not disappoint us. The food was excellent and so was the service. Our group really enjoyed the lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/4/2014Mago never dissapoints. The food is always great. Form a wonderful tequila selection to spectacular mole the chef always deliversSpecial Features:
- Everything but ServiceNavigcarDined on 8/30/2014Very friendly, awesome food, a little loud and service could have been better. None are deal breakers, I will go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tastebud1tastebud1Dined on 8/30/2014This restaurant is in the downtown AH area, next to the tracks. The neighborhood is fitting for eclectic venues and this fits right in. Good food, service, but wow, is it loud! High ceilings and long tables for groups right next to tables for 2 to 4 make for a bad mix. The groups at the long tables end up shouting over themselves and before you know it, everyone in the restaurant is yelling just to converse. If I were management, i'd find a way to segregate larger groups or tables, maybe with half walls, corner spots, or the like. Back to the food - very well done. Margaritas a little sweet, but not bad. Good mole's. The ceviche - maybe less tomato flavor and more citrus. Outside of that, thumbs up!Special Features:
- great food and service, but noisyyum234Dined on 8/28/2014went to mago on a Thursday night with my boyfriend. the food was great. I had veggie fajitas And my boyfriend had the veggie enchiladas. our server was great, and would have overall been a positive experience, but the noise level in the place in outrageous. we ended up leaving before finishing our drinks because it was too loud. however, it didn't bother me as much as my boyfriend, so I'd say as long as you know it's going to be a loud place, you will be fine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch El FrescoJimboVIPDined on 8/27/2014We had an enjoyable lunch outside at Mago. The food was good and the service was very attentive. I would definitely recommend this to my friends.Special Features:
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/25/2014Food is always good with a diverse menu rather than typical tacos & burritos and House drinks are tasty.Special Features:
- Great Sangria!ReunionDined on 8/24/2014Fun place with Good food and Great Sangria!! This restaurant has consistently good food. Great place groups or to catch up with a friend. Option to eat outdoors is plus as well.Special Features:
- Always a good choiceJtcosgroDined on 8/23/2014Love me some Mago! Great menu, mole sauces and fresh guacamole always keep us coming back. My kids love it too - great local place.Special Features:
- Tasty yet disappointingcasualdinerDined on 8/22/2014Typically Mago is great. On this night, the service was slow. It took at least 15 minites to get our drinks from the bar. The server delayed bringing out the soup after we ordered, our food came just as we were finishing our last bite of soup. My boyfriend said the flavor of his steak was good, but it wasn't hot when he received it. He assumed it had been sitting around for a while. We were a little disappointed especially since it wasn't that crowded and there were empty tables around us. I find the service at the Barrington location much better and will be going back there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/21/2014Good overall. I recommend the guacamole prepared table side. Margaritas were not impressive and seemed weak and watered down.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Popular dinner spotMemberDined on 8/15/2014Nice for outdoor dining, with good quality and quantity of food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So loud!HappyDined on 8/4/2014Went there on a Monday night - place was full because the food is tasty BUT the noise level is unbearable. It's quite amazing and not in a good way. You seriously can't hear the person directly seated directly across from you. The owners need to pay attention to these reviews and do something about it or pull some tables... It's REALLY bad. noise level is in practically every review - I obviously did not yield the warnings but will in the future.
- too noisy, bad servicelocalcustomerDined on 7/26/2014The restaurant is extremely noisy on a busy night. Can't hear your dinner companions. Not sure what they can do about this but they should look into it. The service was very very slow. One of my companions had to take his meal to go because he had to get to work. When the food finally came they brought me the wrong side dish. They not bring flour tortillas for my friend with corn allergies despite asking a few times. Asked for a to go box for my left overs which never came, instead someone just took my plate away. It's too bad because the food is delicious and I doubt I'll go back soon.Special Features:
- The following 521 reviews are from the Mago Grill & Cantina - Arlington Heights reviews archive.
- BobSquatDined on 7/23/2014Have eaten here numerous times. They are always welcoming with great food. Its worked out great for special occasions and a fun night out, but they have also been accommodating when we have our kids too. Great menu, great venue.Special Features:
- Would Not Go BackjgklVIPDined on 7/19/2014Ambitious menu that promises upscale Mexican food and drink. They deliver on the drinks and fail on the food. Flat Iron steak so tough that my dog could not eat the left overs. Alaskan salmon with mole sauce. Great salmon, the mole was a joke. Tables-side guacamole was excellent. Problem was only one servers and so many tables, took over 45 minutes to get it. Tight quarters, sat with elbows pined to sides to avoid getting clipped by staff rushing back and forth. Had to yell to hear person across table, (so was everyone else). It was like eating in a Mexican bus station at rush hour. Never again....
- Mago is great!mcfly89Dined on 7/18/2014I always love coming to Mago because their food is amazing! I've never been disappointed with their food or their service! I recommend this place as often as I can! The guacamole is to die for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.