185 East Bay Street
Charleston, SC 29401Neighborhood:
SouthernPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.magnolias-blossom-cypress.com/
- Phone: 8435777771x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday starts at 11:30am
Dinner starts at 4:00 pm daily
Sunday Brunch starts at 10:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Low Country, Southern
- Executive Chef: Donald Drake
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access
- Cross Street: located between Cumberland & Queen Streets
- Public Transit: Charleston CARTA to and from Visitors Center can be picked up 1/2 block from the restaurant on the quarter hour. There are also local cab companies and Charleston's famous Rickshaws that will transport guests to their hotels.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Private parking lot adjacent to the restaurant is available weekdays after 5:00pm & all day Saturday & Sunday. **Please note:This lot is not open during lunch Monday-Friday. However, public parking is available in the garage at the corner of Cumberland & Concord and rates will apply.
A word from Magnolias
Igniting a culinary renaissance upon opening in 1990, Charleston's most popular restaurant is located at the site of the city's original Customs House (circa 1739). Led by Executive Chef Don Drake, Magnolias remains a forerunner in upscale Southern cuisine, blending traditional ingredients and cooking techniques with a modern flair for artful presentations.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSouthern
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Magnolias - Best Restaurants in Downtown Charleston ›
Magnolias reviews from OpenTable diners
704 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (432)special occasion (430)romantic (279)neighborhood gem (226)notable wine list (157)great for lunch (154)good for groups (138)great for brunch (128)hot spot (126)vibrant bar scene (42)kid-friendly (31)late-night find (20)scenic view (13)great for outdoor dining (3)Show More
- Excellent foodJoJoVIPDined on 10/18/2014Dining at Magnolias is a treat. Parmesan crusted flounder was wonderful as were the scallop and crab cake appetizers. It is however noisey and tables are close together. One of our chairs was at the edge of the dining area entrance which feels less than inviting. This was the second time that we've dined at Magnolia's. The waiter disappeared after our food was served during our first visit. We ended up with the same waiter this time around and service was improved. Magnolia's is definitely on our list of favorites due to the quality of the food. Appears that the wait staff is entirely male. I'm not sure of the point of this practice.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/16/2014Brought two out of town guests here for the first time. they were pleasantly pleased.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expectations too high?OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/15/2014One of those places where their reputation has preceded them a bit to far. Food was good but not edgy, wine list was interesting but not especially creative, service was professional but too heavily loaded to do the right things at the right times, decor is elegant but kind of stark. Example: The much-vaunted fried chicken was indeed better than average while down the street at Poogans Porch theirs made us both go wide-eyed and eat every morsel on the plate. Will go back to Poogans, wont go back to Magnolias.
- Great Restaurant.SCbumpDined on 10/15/2014Fried green tomatoes best ever and I should know because I grew up eating them. Wife and friend said chicken breast was great. Definitely will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food and charmOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/15/2014This trip to Charleston was our first and Magnolias was recommended by multiple people. From the word go the service was wonderful where you can tell staff care greatly about the diners experience. The restaurant was beautiful with the old charm of the building but modern spin. The food had wonderful flavors with great presentation. Of all the places we ate in Charleston, this was our favorite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charleston loverTNVol13Dined on 10/15/2014Can't say anything negative about Magnolia's. Everything from the atmosphere, service and certainly the food was extraordinary! We eat here every year when we come to Charleston.Special Features:
- Slow ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/15/2014This is the second time we have had very slow lunch service at Magnolias. Food and ambiance are good, but it would be hard to go there very often.
- LovelyfatsoDined on 10/14/2014What a comfortable place for dinner. Just sitting by myself for several minutes was pleasant, and attention was paid to me. Sitting in the front at a window was the best place, our wait staff was excellent (Sarah and her apprentice), and our wine and meal were superb. Wish I could eat at Magnolia's once a week!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/13/2014Excellent evening. Food was superb. Attention to the one lactose intollerent guest was flawless. A dining experience. Not just dinner.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/13/2014My second time to magnolias and it didn't disappoint. Food is very creative and plenty of it. The service was spot on. Our dessert of pecan oue with vanilla ice cream on top was the icing on the cake! A friend is going to charleston in two weeks and has already made a reservation based on my recommendation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Magnolia reviewMlpdineDined on 10/13/2014The open table reserve was quite easy. Food was top rated as was service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow!BigJackDined on 10/13/2014We love New Orleans and thought nothing could compare for southern cooking, until Magnolias. Try the shellfish and grits. They invented it. Florence, our waiter, picked the perfect bottle of Burgandy to pair with the meal. Can't wait to go backSpecial Features:
- Great food selection, polite staff!Drakeman12Dined on 10/13/2014Definitely a restaurant I'll eat at again next time I come back to Charleston!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best down home food with flair!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/12/2014I came to Charleston with this type of food in mind. Magnolia's hit the spot. Wonder, friendly waitstaff with lots of southern charm. I had the fried green tomatoes and chicken and biscuits, my husband had the chicken livers and BBQ and collard greens. Everything was spot on delicious! Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/12/2014Great attentive and friendly service. Excellent food - crab cake, fish, shrimp and grits all so tasty. Enjoyed a romantic evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always OutstandingRick4finefdDined on 10/12/2014For many years I have always returned to Magnolia's on a short visit to Charleston, threatening to try another place. It remains the most enjoyable eating experience anywhere. Brunch included the finest fried green tomatoes, salmon eggs benedict and Bloody Mary's.Special Features:
- MagnoliasBob46VIPDined on 10/12/2014A very good restaurant with interesting food choices. On our latest visit, the service was slow. We believe that it wasn't the server's fault, but the kitchen being overwhelmed.Special Features:
- BrunchNu2CharlestonDined on 10/12/2014I was entertaining house guests at brunch. The duck comfit omelette was a big hit, as was the pecan pie. The service was good, not great, but the setting was very comfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious experienceLLWFDined on 10/12/2014Both the food and service were fantastic. We enjoyed the apple fritters, ham and cheese pancakes and pigs in a blanket. All were excellent. The food was very reasonable priced given the potion sizes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SpotDublinDined on 10/11/2014The food was great. The wait staff was very helpful and prompt. My only complaint was that it was a bit on the loud side. But that said, my wife and I had a lovely time there on out anniversary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/11/2014I had the Ahi tuna for dinner. I was very happy with it. The service was impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Servercugirlie2001Dined on 10/11/2014Our server (I wish I could remember his name) was wonderful! He was informative regarding the menu, as well engaging and outgoing. The bartender did not tend to us, while we waited for our table reservation, speaking only as we left the bar. However, the food, atmosphere, and great service from our server made it an outstanding dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner, October, 2014NewportDined on 10/10/2014We ate here and found it up to what we have experienced in the past which was a lively spot with great food and service.Special Features:
- Almost PerfectpixkyeaterDined on 10/10/2014Very pretty environment, and quiet for the number of large tables. Food was amazing- we enjoyed everything, including flounder, tuna, seafood over grits and trout. All four of us were totally happy- with 2 exceptions: We had a reservation for 7pm & we finally got a table at 7:30. We ordered 2 desserts- 20 minutes later we had to flag down our waiter and were informed it was just coming out. 25 minutes later we were informed that their torch for caramelizing the crème Brule was broken and it was in the oven being caramelized. Sorry, but I would hate to see what came out of the oven after 25 minutes of caramelizing...Our waiter was very pleasant and offered to comp us something else, but frankly, we were so full of great food we declined.Special Features:
- Snowharp2VIPDined on 10/10/2014We had a reservation but had to wait for 30 minutes. That was ok because the bar was nice and lively and we were happy to have a drink while we waited. Our waiter was a little on the abrupt side-yes they were busy but when my British husband asked the size of the ceasar salad (American portions can be huge and it was to be a starter) the waiter replied quite curtly and acted like the question was stupid. Living in America we see HUGE portion sizes compared to Europe and it was a legitimate question. He warmed up a little bit with service during the meal but having eaten at Magnolias in Purcillville VA (better in our opinion all around), it was a disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experiencetraveler32401Dined on 10/10/2014This was an all-around great experience. Excellent food, ambiance, service. Although we were stuck in interstate traffic, we called to request that they hold our reservation for a table even though we ended up being 30 minutes late, and they accommodated our request. The meal was expensive, just as we expected for this type of experience. They have adequate free parking next door, which is unusual in Charleston. Thank you for a great date night with my wife.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GirlsonthegoDined on 10/10/2014Awesome evening. So glad we were able to get reservations ariving at 5 on our way to Hilton head. We enjoyed the decor and comfortable white clothed tables. Our server, Billy, led us through the menu and we gladly followed his suggestions The fried green tomato was the best we've had. The drinks, with sweet tea had a great southern twist. My daughters shared several small plates and our entres. Everything was delicious and had layers of taste. Be sure you leave enough room for the pecan pie - Amazingly light and tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will definitely returnSeaborn7VIPDined on 10/10/2014The woman next to me on the flight to Charlestown recommended this restaurant and our party of seven with two kids all agreed that this is a great place. Nice setting, location a few blocks from the water, ambiance, food, and service - it has everything a good restaurant should. I'd definitely go back on my next trip here.Special Features:
- A night to remembersherriberriDined on 10/9/2014Started with the deviled eggs and fried green tomatoes which were incredible--so flavorful. Every one ordered a different entree and all were very flavorful. Out waiter was very attentive. A staff member from the kitchen came out to sing for us ( since he sang Happy Birthday to another table). His voice was amazing and he was too. This is the best meal from start to finish that I have had in a long time. A night to remember!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PickyeaterVIPDined on 10/9/2014Fantastic "low-country" food! The fried green tomatoes were unbelievably good. The best.Special Features:
- Just keeps getting betterOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/9/2014This was our second time at Magnolias. This visit was separated by a number of years. Memory of a great experience is sometimes embellished by time but not at Magnolias. It's as great as we remembered and then some. Start with the Fried Green Tomatoes appetizer and a Magnolias Arnold Palmer cocktail. Then on to the Seafood and Grits, Fried Chicken dinner, and Pimento Cheese Topped 8 oz Filet ( cooked to a medium rare plus- this a very good kitchen!). WOW!! Finish with Pecan Pie, Magnolias Strawberry Shortcake, Peach Sorbet and Coffee....Amazing. Make reservations, wait in line or camp out in front..whatever it takes. Experience this restaurant !Special Features:
- Hostess and waiter attentiveiateitallDined on 10/9/2014Preferred a different table than where we were seated at first and hostess was very accommodating in showing us to a window table. Our waiter, Willie was on top of our every need. The food was excellent.Cooked to order and scrumptious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Foodbabybl1017Dined on 10/9/2014I was disappointed in the hostess. While we were waiting to be seated, a young couple came in without a reservation asking for a table for 2 and a highchair. instead of saying, "Of course, we can seat you in just a few minutes", she told them there would be a 15 minute wait, so they left. When we were seated there were 7 empty tables near us, four of which remained empty when we left an hour and a half later. I can't figure why, the hostess did not want to seat them. It could not have been because of the baby, because there was an infant at the table next to us. Very Inappropriate :((((((( Every thing else about the restaurant was great.Special Features:
- DB74Dined on 10/7/2014Excellent meal with my wife and a special friend. The Tuna was Excellent" along with the service. Would highly recommend this restaurant to all.Special Features:
- Best of Charleston?JanetLynn60VIPDined on 10/7/2014After reading outstanding reviews, was disappointed. Appetizers and dessert were excellent, but the small plate (tuna) and fried chicken entrée were mediocre. Would not return.Special Features:
- Surprisingly GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/6/2014It was very nice. The food was good. Although there really wasn't too much of a variety and the prices were a little high.Special Features:
- SallySallyDined on 10/5/2014I brought two oot friends here for dinner on sun oct 5.delightful dinner,great wait staff,esp Dawn and we enjoyed the happy birthday singer.A very good experience.Oh yes,great food too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TravelbugDined on 10/5/2014Dined at Magnolias twice while on a four-day visit to beautiful Charleston. The food was interesting, very well prepared, and most importantly - delicious. Service was attentive and friendly without being intrusive. Don't visit Charleston without a visit to Magnolias.Special Features:
- Too Noisyjenloves2eatDined on 10/4/2014First off I did really loved the food (crab cakes are always wonderful) and our wait staff Elizabeth was very nice, but the noise level was horrendous. My husband and I could barely hear each other across the table. It was very loud. It seemed every table needed to practically shout to be heard, so multiply that. We also had a group of women a table of 8 or 10, it must have been a bachelorette party, who were super loud and drinking heavily and seemed to get louder and louder. I had been really looking forward to our visit since I had not been to Charleston in ten years and always go to Magnolias so was very disappointed. My husband and I both left with splitting headaches.Special Features:
- great restaurantjerricaVIPDined on 10/4/2014We love Magnolia's. All of our food was excellent, cooked to perfection. We are obsessed with the succotash. I loved my boiled peanut salad- very southern with cornbread croutons. Service was a little slow as it was Sat. and very busy but that won't stop us from returning.Special Features: