185 East Bay Street
Charleston, SC 29401Neighborhood:
SouthernPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.magnolias-blossom-cypress.com/
- Phone: 8435777771x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday starts at 11:30am
Dinner starts at 4:00 pm daily
Sunday Brunch starts at 10:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Low Country, Southern
- Executive Chef: Donald Drake
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access
- Cross Street: located between Cumberland & Queen Streets
- Public Transit: Charleston CARTA to and from Visitors Center can be picked up 1/2 block from the restaurant on the quarter hour. There are also local cab companies and Charleston's famous Rickshaws that will transport guests to their hotels.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Private parking lot adjacent to the restaurant is available weekdays after 5:00pm & all day Saturday & Sunday. **Please note:This lot is not open during lunch Monday-Friday. However, public parking is available in the garage at the corner of Cumberland & Concord and rates will apply.
A word from Magnolias
Igniting a culinary renaissance upon opening in 1990, Charleston's most popular restaurant is located at the site of the city's original Customs House (circa 1739). Led by Executive Chef Don Drake, Magnolias remains a forerunner in upscale Southern cuisine, blending traditional ingredients and cooking techniques with a modern flair for artful presentations.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSouthern
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Magnolias - Best Restaurants in Downtown Charleston ›
Magnolias reviews from OpenTable diners
703 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (437)fit for foodies (421)romantic (283)neighborhood gem (217)notable wine list (168)great for lunch (161)great for brunch (137)good for groups (132)hot spot (124)vibrant bar scene (45)kid-friendly (32)late-night find (18)scenic view (17)great for outdoor dining (5)Show More
- Great food for allOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/28/2014My husband and I (along with our 4 yr old daughter) celebrated our 10 yr anniversary here. Though the weather was terrible the food was delicious. I had the very tasty fried green tomato appetizer and the melt in your mouth fried chicken. The service was spot on and the children's menu had enough variety to make my daughter happy. If we take another trip back to Charleston we will certainly go back to Magnolias.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Like a generational wedding gemOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014This is the kind of the culinary mainstay that manages to keep the kitchen both grounded in southern staples AND inspired to lay a table with exciting new options. HUGELY improved ambiance due to a renovation early in the year, the space is significantly more intimate but airy. Literally raising the roof took the din down to a friendly conversational volume. If your goal is to enjoy a true southern supper with all the fixings, then do come here for lunch and dinner. If you're looking for a little more fun, a few more surprises, then come for Sunday brunch. No matter which meal you take, be certain to end with a slice of pecan (heaven) pie. Don't you dare think of skipping the ice cream.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as always...OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/28/2014We always have a fantastic meal at Magnolia's...Service is always over the top and the people watching is interesting also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday BrunchtravelingkatVIPDined on 9/28/2014Had a nice experience for Sunday Brunch ... arriving at opening time. The menu was diverse and interesting and we had a hard time deciding. Our server, Christina, was amazing, and she provided excellent suggestions. They have a neat list of cocktails, which seemed perfectly suited for brunch. For a restaurant that has been around for quite some time, they seem to do an excellent job of keeping it fresh and hip. My husband had been looking forward to redeye gravy, which had just gone off with the new menu. But the chef agreed to make it just for him! In the end, he chose something else, but that's the mark of a restaurant who aims to please. Can't say enough about our excellent service.Special Features:
- Always A MustOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/27/2014My husband and I always make sure to stop at Magnolia's while in Charleston! This trip we went for our anniversary and it was perfect. You HAVE to try a down south egg roll!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a win!LivinthegoodlifeDined on 9/26/2014We've had the same waiter both visits, and he's truly made our experience memorable (about 8feet talk with a bow tie!). He has an extensive knowledge of the menu, nightly specials, and wine/dessert pairings. Always looking forward to going back to magnolias for a special night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jill VOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/26/2014Good food. Horrible, dismissive service from our server, James.
- Great FoodCowmurph2Dined on 9/26/2014Fantastic meal. True Siuthetn hospitality. Pecan pie was our of this works!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great for a date nightCoachBsimpDined on 9/26/2014I recently took my fiancé on a date at Magnolias. The food was very good (crab cakes especially) and they had an impressive wine list. But what topped the night off was the great service provided by the magnolias wait staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thoroughly delightfulbreadandbutterDined on 9/26/2014For two New Yorkers vacationing in South Carolina, this was a thoroughly delightful evening. Tried a variety of appetizers and "small plates" and loved them all! Will definitely return to this restaurant on our next trip to Charleston.I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a Disappointment!OpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 9/25/2014We dined here our first night in Charleston and can say that it was a real disappointment!! We ordered cocktails and were prepared to relax and enjoy our stay in Charleston. Our server visited our table every few minutes to see if we were ready to order and eventually we felt obligated to do so. Our appetizers, which were just average, came moments later while we were still drinking our cocktails. We usually order a bottle of wine with dinner, but since we were so quickly served, decided just to order a glass of wine. The ill-timed service throughout the meal was disappointing. My daughter's entrée (tuna) was just so-so. Despite the bad service and mediocre food, there was a bright spot - the pork belly entree was amazing.
- Beyond BeliefblackdahliaDined on 9/25/2014We had an amazing, over the top experience here. From the moment we walked in, we were made to feel welcome. The ambience was inviting and elegant. The staff was professional and were very helpful with food and wine choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Magnolia's a MUSTtravelqueen62Dined on 9/25/2014This was by far, hands down, was the best restaurant we dined at while in Charleston. The food and service were exceptional!! We ate at many restaurants while in town from casual to fine and this one was our favorite.Special Features:
- JohnnieDined on 9/23/2014We made reservations on Open Table, very easy and when we walked in we were warmly greeted. We were seated before our reservation time, that was nice. Food very good, service slow, but maybe that was their style. Our waiter handled one "transaction" at a time, no multi tasking, a bit slow for me, but fine for my wife. Overall, very nice experience, we may return, but with so many options in Charleston, probably won't, it was a three star experience, not great. Oh, by the way, I don't care the waiters favorite dish, unless I ask.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful restaurantMimiVIPDined on 9/23/2014Excellent restaurant in the most beautiful and romantic city in the USA! Very enjoyable time!Special Features:
- GigiDined on 9/23/2014Meal,service, everything was fabulous! Would definitely go back.Special Features:
- Favorite Charleston RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/23/2014Eat here every time I come to Charleston. Never disappoints for authentic, delicious low country cuisine! The deviled egg appetizer is devine, as are the fried green tomatoes. Had the shellfish and grits this visit, absolutely delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/23/2014WOW! Highly recommend this restaurant. The snapper and salmon were superior! The pecan pie was unbelievable. Our server, wish I could recall his name, was quick, thoughtful and excellent. If we come back to Charleston, we will revisit. Great restaurant.
- Delicious food!GregDined on 9/22/2014The food quality, presentation and taste were top notch. I enjoyed an incredible Ahi Tuna entree. Our server, Catherine, was pleasant, helpful and friendly. The hostesses gave us a chilly reception upon entering the restaurant.Special Features:
- Best Fried Chicken EverVanweezerVIPDined on 9/22/2014Coming from the Midwest, we had always read and heard about the fried chicken in the South. Well, we were not disappointed ! Our lunch was fabulous in meal and service. We would definetly go back to Magnolia on a return trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Magnolias September 2014SharonDined on 9/21/2014Charleston has many restaurant choices but Magnolias was one of the best places we dined during our 5 day stay. The menu provided a great amount of choice for all palettes. White tablecloths are always a nice touch. The bread was delicious. I would definitely recommend this restaurant to anyone visiting the Charleston area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Magnolia for brunchHappycamperDined on 9/21/2014My wife and I both enjoyed our Sunday brunch. We had very attentive waitress. Was pleased and will look forward to trying dinner menu when we return to Charleston in future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and Food!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/20/2014First visit into Charleston, had been trying to get in, but was booked. Finally got an opening. Server was fantastic, personable, friendly, but not stuffy. Recommendations were spot on, honest about not so great items. Have the scallops and tuna...both delicious, friends had the traditional fried chicken that they are known for. Great way to close our last meal in the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wini3Dined on 9/20/2014Ordered steak.medium.sent back twice still m rare .....my friends were thru by then so did not have dinner
- A Must HavePleasureDined on 9/20/2014I ordered the steak with mashed potatoes goats cheese and brussell sprouts..the steak was excellent and cooked perfectly but I would have traded it for the potatoes and brussell. I still am remembering the taste which I can tell you I am not impressed easily.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014We had dinner for 4 at Magnolia's. Everyones dinner was very good. The buttermilk fried chicken was excellent - apparently one of their specialties. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Decent, Not Greatamw33629Dined on 9/19/2014I don't know if my expectations were too high but the food was just average. Nothing special at all.
- Magnolias..a favoriteLisaDined on 9/19/2014My husband and I went to Magnolias for our 20th wedding anniversary in Charleston. We first went to Magnolias the year after Hurricane Hugo hit. We had a waiter named Ed back then. He is still there and has waited on us since. A special request for Ed was granted for our dinner this weekend, which made it very special! Excellent restaurant. The food and service is phenomenal! I had the Parmesan encrusted flounder and husband had the fried chicken. I usually go to Charleston once/year. There are so many great restaurants in this foodie town that it can be hard to decide which to visit. Other restaurants have rotated on and off our list but Magnolias remains on it each and every year!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicoius but noisy!foodiechikDined on 9/19/2014AS always - Magnolias is a wonderful experience! Food was fabulous, service was wonderful - the only complaint is that it is much too noisy in the back room. would be great if they could do something with the acoustics there - we were yelling at each other across the table!Special Features:
- Pay attention to detailsTarheelDined on 9/19/2014Barely average. T-shirt and jeans and baseball cap wearing tourists dominated. It took 2 discussions with the waitress to find a solution to a food allergy issue - basically it's not about making the customer happy, but turning tables. Unless you order a bottle a wine, you get the basic wine glasses, but if you get a bottle they will bring proper red and white glasses - even when you ask for a proper glass the answer is "this is what you get". Little things make the difference, but Magnolias doesn't appear to care. The food was good, but the whole package is lacking.
- Excellent!KathyDined on 9/16/2014Well prepared food. Excellent low country cuisine in an upscale setting. Shellfish over grits, she crab soup, blackened catfish. Attentive service. Great place to celebrate a visit to Charleston.Special Features:
- New Favoritefoodie500Dined on 9/16/2014As a local resident of Charleston, I've been to a lot of the notable restaurants downtown. I didn't understand the hype around it, but figured it was worth trying out the place. I was more than pleasantly surprised. The restaurant is beautiful, the service is great, the food is out of this world. I'm gluten-free, too, and the seafood over grits was AMAZING! It's a definite favorite. Everyone can find something on the menu to enjoy. I'm about to become a regular!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous All The WayMichaelOnMainDined on 9/16/2014The food was real southern and outstanding--My wife had the southern fried chicken and I had the shellfish grits. We shared the fried green tomatoes. The service was friendly, very efficient and answered all of our menu questions.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/15/2014Simply fantastic southern food!!! Everything was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Below expectationsEatouttoomuchDined on 9/14/2014Place busy. Food not up to billing. Okay but surprisingly ordinary.
- Loved it!lokilokiDined on 9/14/2014We had a great experience at Magnolias. Our server was amazing, food was good, and atmosphere was terrific. Beautiful southern charm! The only reason I didn't give it a perfect 5 stars was because I thought my entree lacked a bit of flavor, but my husbands entree was to die for. Pork tenderloin. Yum!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always greatJodyDined on 9/14/2014This is one of our favorites. We always can count on great food, service and southern hospitality. First time for brunch- we will be back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014We had a lovely brunch at Magnolias. The caprese quiche was super yummy!Special Features:
- Don't overlook dining herestarmcDined on 9/13/2014An easy to find restaurant on East Bay Street. Bar scene was lively and the dining room the same. We were able to get a table in the rear dining room which was more amenable to conversation. Our server, Greg, was very knowledgable about the menu and wine list. The food was done perfectly--maybe the best trout ever. My husband said the blackened catfish was great. Prices were reasonable and the restaurant label wine was dry and crisp without being fruity. If we're back in Charleston, Magnolia's will be on the top of the list to re-visit.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/13/2014Food was excellent and always consistent. Waiter service is usually great....but for some reason this particular waiter appeared distracted....we had to repeat our orders...he appeared to be watching another waiter...maybe he was his mentor....to give him the benefit of the doubt. But overall a good experience and we will return.Special Features: