185 East Bay Street
Charleston, SC 29401Neighborhood:
SouthernPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.magnolias-blossom-cypress.com/
- Phone: 8435777771x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday starts at 11:30am
Dinner starts at 4:00 pm daily
Sunday Brunch starts at 10:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Low Country, Southern
- Executive Chef: Donald Drake
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access
- Cross Street: located between Cumberland & Queen Streets
- Public Transit: Charleston CARTA to and from Visitors Center can be picked up 1/2 block from the restaurant on the quarter hour. There are also local cab companies and Charleston's famous Rickshaws that will transport guests to their hotels.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Private parking lot adjacent to the restaurant is available weekdays after 5:00pm & all day Saturday & Sunday. **Please note:This lot is not open during lunch Monday-Friday. However, public parking is available in the garage at the corner of Cumberland & Concord and rates will apply.
A word from Magnolias
Igniting a culinary renaissance upon opening in 1990, Charleston's most popular restaurant is located at the site of the city's original Customs House (circa 1739). Led by Executive Chef Don Drake, Magnolias remains a forerunner in upscale Southern cuisine, blending traditional ingredients and cooking techniques with a modern flair for artful presentations.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSouthern
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Magnolias - Best Restaurants in Downtown Charleston ›
Magnolias reviews from OpenTable diners
733 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (468)fit for foodies (447)romantic (305)neighborhood gem (230)great for lunch (180)notable wine list (177)great for brunch (145)good for groups (138)hot spot (130)vibrant bar scene (45)kid-friendly (34)scenic view (24)late-night find (16)great for outdoor dining (5)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/15/2014Simply fantastic southern food!!! Everything was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Below expectationsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014Place busy. Food not up to billing. Okay but surprisingly ordinary.
- Loved it!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014We had a great experience at Magnolias. Our server was amazing, food was good, and atmosphere was terrific. Beautiful southern charm! The only reason I didn't give it a perfect 5 stars was because I thought my entree lacked a bit of flavor, but my husbands entree was to die for. Pork tenderloin. Yum!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always greatJodyDined on 9/14/2014This is one of our favorites. We always can count on great food, service and southern hospitality. First time for brunch- we will be back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014We had a lovely brunch at Magnolias. The caprese quiche was super yummy!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/13/2014Food was excellent and always consistent. Waiter service is usually great....but for some reason this particular waiter appeared distracted....we had to repeat our orders...he appeared to be watching another waiter...maybe he was his mentor....to give him the benefit of the doubt. But overall a good experience and we will return.Special Features:
- Restaurant Week EndingthenotsopickyeaterDined on 9/12/2014The ambiance at Magnolia's was excellent - we were seated in the Gallery section which seemed to be much quieter than the front section - the paintings were interesting, the table nicely set. The waiter was helpful and friendly and the East Bay mojito was tasty. We started with the boiled peanut salad - delicious - and it was so sizeable I could have stopped there. We ordered the pork and the clams and mussels. The pork was incredibly tender with a polenta/grits pudding with it that had a little kick. I had the clams and mussels and was concerned that the smoked bacon would be too smoky - not so - but the bacon did, in my opinion, overtake the taste of the seafood. The seafood was tender - wish the bacon hadn't been so overpowering.Special Features:
- Awesome dinner4friendsfromphillyDined on 9/12/2014For a special evening in Charleston, this is a MUST! Outstanding food, service and extra care to make the evening special. Steven, our waiter, was simply awesome. Food... incredible. No visit to Charleston is complete without a meal at Magnolia's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nd visit and still amazed!NMR7Dined on 9/11/2014I love Magnolias! The fried mac'n'cheese with bacon jam is amazing as is the buttermilk chicken! This time I tried the strawberry shortcake dessert. Excellent! We also really loved the atmosphere.Special Features:
- yummytummyyummytummyDined on 9/11/2014This restaurant is charming in appearance and has an efficient and friendly staff. The food is delicious and artfully presented. The menu covers all tastes. I had a fish appetizer, a steak entree, and the best pecan pie in the area. They also serve terrific prosecco, which is not always easy to find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/10/2014Ambiance, food and our server were all great! A wonderful welcome to Charleston on our first night.Special Features:
- GreatMishyDined on 9/10/2014Everything about the evening was great. My meal was excellent. Yes I would go back.Special Features:
- Great lunch spotkiwikriticDined on 9/10/2014I had the chicken livers. First time I've ever had them deep fried (not from the south). They were delish. Shellfish and grits for entrée. Wonderful.Special Features:
- Charleston traditionsfdoverDined on 9/9/2014Service from Carrie was great, good recommendations, and very attentive. Some big wines have aged well there, some cabs 12+ years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- :(OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/9/2014A disappointment......................................... ....
- Restaurant Week Menu ExcelsPabloDined on 9/8/2014Boiled peanuts, pickled okra and a tasty buttermilk dressing on romaine lettuce made for a great first course. Pork tenderloin with field peas and a spicy pepper sauce was perfect. Triple Chocolate dessert with white chocolate ice cream topped it off. Three courses, $30. What a deal. The pecan crusted chicken breast was a hit with my wife as well as the deviled eggs made with pimiento cheese. Our server Erin was attentive and pleasant. The only downside was the noise level. Voices were bouncing off the wall and the party of six behind me tended to use their outside voices. Great dinner! We'll be back.Special Features:
- MaryMarymessDined on 9/8/2014Exceptional food and efficient fun fabulous service by Travis! Our #1 exper in charleston!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A favoriteahz2403Dined on 9/7/2014This is our favorite place to take guests for a wonderful Charleston dinner. We have enjoyed the dining experience with friends who have casual tastes and with those who have sophisticated, worldly dining experiences. Magnolia's has never disappointed, and always pleased.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/7/2014Great food and atmosphere. The service was also very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant WeekVegHeadDined on 9/6/2014I am new to town and really enjoyed my time at Magnolias. What drew me here was that the restaurant week menu was veg friendly without having to modify anything. The menu also had plenty of options for my carnivore boyfriend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very EnjoyableOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014The food was wonderful and we were pleasantly surprised by the large portions, especially since we had ordered off the Restaurant Week menu. Our server did not seem very pleased to be at work and the other servers around us seemed much more pleasant. This however, did not ruin our dining experience and we would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a nice, romantic setting with a great selection of food and drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First trip to CharlestonCreekgirl5Dined on 9/6/2014Where to takes guests for lunch who had never been to Charleston? Having lived in the area for the last 35 years, I am familiar with all the good downtown restaurants . My dilemma was that there are so many wonderful places to dine. For first timers I wanted southern cuisine with a flair. The menu at Magnolia's is varied and includes excellent appetizers. For example, the spring rolls and the fried green tomatoes are outstanding - the best I've ever tasted. Our entrees of flounder, cobra, and crab cakes were equally impressive. Magnolia's convinced our friends that Charleston's reputation for having superior cuisine is not a myth. If ever in doubt of which restaurant you can count on to always impress, choose Magnolia's,Special Features:
- Magnolias is steely!FineDiningGemDined on 9/5/2014I shared Magnolias for the first time to 2 college aged family friends during this visit and they LOVED it! It is a great place to feel Charleston's old world charm and new world food finds. We will go again, for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for wedding anniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/5/2014The service was excellent; the food was delicious; The ambience was romantic. We have eaten at Magnolia's before. We are never disappointed when we return. I would highly recommend it for any occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TukkertimeDined on 9/5/2014Great soup. Good for restaurant week. Wonderful tuna.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DCBCDined on 9/4/2014Outstanding meal. We've been there many times. Best meal yet.
- Check it off the listMadman78Dined on 9/4/2014Let me start with saying that nothing was "wrong" with my visit. The service was great and there was nothing wrong with the food. Now let me continue with there was also nothing memorable about the food. I guess it's my own fault for having such high expectations. I have heard so many things of them over the years and kept telling myself I needed to go because it was one of the places that you had to go here. Well I can say I went now and that's about it. Great service, everything clean, host staff charming, food nothing to write home about, and cramped small tables.Special Features:
- Anniversary Dinner Done RightthevideoguyDined on 9/4/2014We had heard many people recommend Magnolias to us for our trip to Charleston. We were so very pleased with the atmosphere, our waiter and the food. We were able to go during restaurant week and the three course selection for the price was very reasonable. Will definitely go back here again!Special Features:
- Great food & serviceFoodieLiteDined on 9/3/2014I recommend this restaurant if you are looking for upscale southern food and great service.Special Features:
- Marvelous Magnolias!FineFoodLoverDined on 9/3/2014We had an outstanding experience at Magnolias. It's the first time I have been seated in the back room with the wonderful painting of the black woman holding a magnolia blossom. Our waiter was exceptionally attentive; he even knew who the artist was! My dining partner had pimento-deviled eggs, and I had a salad. We then had a perfectly prepared and cooked salmon. The salmon was excellent, served atop garnished, mashed potatoes. An excellent meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!RebhartDined on 9/3/2014I had two old friends from my Berkeley, Ca. days visiting me last week. They are world travelers and are real foodie types. I wanted them to be impressed by the high quality food offered here in Charleston. They were! Best shrimp and grits ever! Our waiter was wonderful. We left the restaurant very happy people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- thanks for the deliciousness thanksthedude035Dined on 9/3/2014Dinner was great! And perfect for a night out , many thanksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great overallBuckyinGADined on 9/3/2014We arrived early, they seated us immediately. Service was great, they offered to split some plates when we mentioned sharing. Food was excellent- fried green tomatoes one of my all time best appetizers. Will return next time in Charleston.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Magnolia'sMagnolias2014Dined on 9/2/2014Magnolia's was recommended to us, so we made sure we visited and loved it. The food was great and we had a wonderful timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightfully surprisedintheboxDined on 9/2/2014Magnolia's came highly recommended. It did not disappoint. I had fried green tomatoes for the first time and was wowed. Every bite was better than the one before. Portion sizes were large for both appetizers and entrees. We never made it to dessert. My dining companion was also wowed. Magnolia's was the best of the Charleston restaurants we experienced during our visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely amazingdubbled21VIPDined on 9/1/2014Nothing to complain about here. The service was awesome and the food was amazing. A must try at least once when you are in Charleston. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Good food, beautiful restaurantctlovescharlestonDined on 9/1/2014Magnolias was a fun place to eat on our special anniversary trip to Charleston. The food was very good and the ambience of the restaurant very nice. The servers overall seemed to be very attentive and pleasant; unfortunately ours bordered on rushed and a bit condescending when we asked a question about the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OUTSTANDINGRickDined on 8/31/2014The service, food and ambience was amazing. This is, without a doubt, the best restaurant in Charleston for fine dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Food in CharlestonBostontjjjDined on 8/31/2014The 3rd time we've eaten here and it only gets better. Southern cuisine at its best. Freshest seafood. Try the Parmesan crusted flounder. Some of the best fried chicken you can ever imagine. Tender and light, but not greasy at all. We heard it was one of Oprah's favorite restaurants. Now we know why. You must try when visiting Charleston. Make reservations early as it is a popular spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, horrible serviceFoodiesWhoLoveToTravelDined on 8/31/2014My partner and I were treated badly, in a clear case of discrimination. The fact the food was fantastic helped saved the evening a bit for us (we had wine, several appetizers and two of the better entrees- all delicious), but we will never dine at Magnolias again and do not recommend the restaurant for other LGBT people. We were discriminated against by our waitperson as well as one of the people manning the reservation desk, so there was not just one person involved in the poor treatment we received. We dined at several comparable restaurants in Savannah and Charleston and received much better service everywhere else. We really looked forward to dining at Magnolias, so it was all the more disappointing to be treated as we were.Special Features: