185 East Bay Street
Charleston, SC 29401Neighborhood:
SouthernPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.magnolias-blossom-cypress.com/
- Phone: 8435777771x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday starts at 11:30am
Dinner starts at 4:00 pm daily
Sunday Brunch starts at 10:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Low Country, Southern
- Executive Chef: Donald Drake
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access
- Cross Street: located between Cumberland & Queen Streets
- Public Transit: Charleston CARTA to and from Visitors Center can be picked up 1/2 block from the restaurant on the quarter hour. There are also local cab companies and Charleston's famous Rickshaws that will transport guests to their hotels.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Private parking lot adjacent to the restaurant is available weekdays after 5:00pm & all day Saturday & Sunday. **Please note:This lot is not open during lunch Monday-Friday. However, public parking is available in the garage at the corner of Cumberland & Concord and rates will apply.
A word from Magnolias
Igniting a culinary renaissance upon opening in 1990, Charleston's most popular restaurant is located at the site of the city's original Customs House (circa 1739). Led by Executive Chef Don Drake, Magnolias remains a forerunner in upscale Southern cuisine, blending traditional ingredients and cooking techniques with a modern flair for artful presentations.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSouthern
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Magnolias - Best Restaurants in Downtown Charleston ›
Magnolias reviews from OpenTable diners
732 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (458)special occasion (447)romantic (283)neighborhood gem (228)great for lunch (161)notable wine list (159)good for groups (150)hot spot (133)great for brunch (127)vibrant bar scene (44)kid-friendly (29)late-night find (24)scenic view (13)great for outdoor dining (4)Show More
- BanditDined on 10/28/2014Fabulous meal all around. The fried green tomatoes were outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BGANDMEBGANDMEDined on 10/27/2014The trout was excellent but over garnished. The salmon came undercooked twice and did not have one of the garnishes on the menu. Service was slow and the table was not cleared reasonably promptly when finished.Special Features:
- Loved the Fried Green TomatoesOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/27/2014Apparently, as our waiter kept telling us, we chose all of the "signature" items of the restaurant and all was very good. The presentation and combination of fried green tomatoes and very thinly sliced Canadian bacon is NOT to be missed - outstanding! Shrimp and grits had great flavor and although the parmesan crusted flounder was a little dry, the combination of grits, corn, asparagus and lump crab made it mouthwatering. Wait staff was friendly and attentive - would recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/26/2014we had been to Magnolias several times for lunch but took friends there for dinner. The superb takes on traditional southern dishes were outstanding. The spare ribs were the best! My wife has a gluten allergy and they have a gluten free menu. she loved the salmon with risotto. Server wasn't the friendliest but very efficient. would highly recommend this place.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/26/2014Excellent as always with an outstanding gluten-free menu including rice flour bread!Special Features:
- FoodieFoodieDined on 10/26/2014Always great food and great service. Hopefully, I will get actual meal I ordered next time. Still a good experience.Special Features:
- Brunching in Chucktown!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/26/2014Let's face it, making a choice for brunch while on vacation can be a daunting task. Well, for us foodies it is. And if you're like me, brunch is my favorite meal of the day/week. After looking at countless menus we decided on Magnolias. YUM. So glad that we did. I am a egg eater while at brunch, but after talking with our server, I'm glad I had the fried chicken. OMG. sooooo good. The flour coating had lots of flavor, the gravy delicious but totally not needed; and I love me some gravy. The greens were a bit salty for me, but everything is in the south. Drink lots of water to combat that and you'll be just fine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First VisitOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/26/2014Friends and I had brunch this past Sunday, being that I am not an expert with fine food I do know what tastes good. After reading the menu on line I had to visit Magnolias and taste the Banana Pudding Stuffed French Toast. It was amazing, even better than the description on the menu. Do not hesitate to try it, you can always share if you are fearful of the calories.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food, poor servicejtx2charlotteDined on 10/25/2014This would have been one of the highlight dining experiences of the past several years were it not for the terrible service provided by our waiter Willy. As a table of two who only had a total of one alcoholic beverage, he blatantly ignored us to fawn over the next table which consisted of four people who were all drinking. As a former server, I understand that the larger tip he would receive from the larger grossing table would more than make up for the smaller tip our table would generate, but at a restaurant of this caliber, all customers should receive top notch service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb!!!JoJoDined on 10/25/2014Everything was fantastic. The only thing that could have been improved upon was the noise level, which is better than most of the Charleston restaurants, probably due to their renovation.Special Features:
- ClaudiaDined on 10/25/2014We loved the appetizers and food was very good. We did go on a Saturday night, so it was very busy, and very noisy. Our poor waiter was slammed but did great. Had a wine that was not wonderful, but they did fix that as soon as we told them it was not very good. I will probably come again for an early or late lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great restaurantalwaysthere1VIPDined on 10/25/2014Magnolia's offers great low country cooking, great service at reasonable prices making it shine as a neighborhood gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice, quiet diningOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/25/2014Seafood over grits is my favorite, but on Sat night the lobster was tough and chewey. I did not eat it but did not complain. The saucwas much more heavy than normal. Good service but cold starters.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MagnoliasSandySueDined on 10/25/2014While the food was outstanding, our waiter, Ira, was even more outstanding! We don't think we have ever had a more pleasant, informative, or efficient waiter anywhere. Thanks, Ira, for everything!!Special Features:
- Excellent in every way!PamelaDined on 10/24/2014Enjoyed our dinner on Friday night. The restaurant was lively - nice vibe...Food was excellent as was the service. Would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still terrificOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/24/2014We love Magnolias. Every time we visit Charleston, this is on the list for one or more meals. It has always been outstanding and the wait staff are very gracious and welcoming. Very creative and delicious low country dishes.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/24/2014The fried green tomato appetizer was outstanding and one of the best bites of our entire Charleston experience. One of the best things we've ever had--the combination of fried green tomatoe, yummy, cheesy grits, thinly sliced country ham and tomatoe chutney was superb!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/24/2014I am a repeat customer at Magnolia's as were my fellow diners. We all thoroughly enjoyed our meal. We had a limited amount of time to dine due to a pending appointment. We advised the server of our plans and he managed to have us fed and the bill paid in just the right amount of time despite it being a VERY busy Friday night.
- One of Charleston's finestJDawgVIPDined on 10/24/2014Magnolias was recommended by numerous people and they were right. I had wahoo and it was like eating a nice fillet mignon. Service was excellentSpecial Features:
- really deliciousgoldieDined on 10/23/2014Food was wonderful. fried green tomatoes were outstanding! I had the tuna, it was wonderful. my momhad the fried chicken, very southern but tasty too. topped off meal with pecan pie despite being full after our entres we somehow managed to clean the dessert plate. If you can get in don't miss a meal at Magnolia's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/23/2014Had a wonderful meal. Fried green tomatoes, peanut hummus , tomato soup starters. Catfish, tuna, chicken and dumplings. Catfish was the overall winner. Don't miss out on dessert. Pecan pie is the best ever!Special Features:
- Very nice choiceWerxcv01Dined on 10/23/2014My wife and I am visited Magnolias on the recent trip to Charleston and really enjoyed it. The service was great and the food was very good. My wife had the fried chicken and I had the strip steak. My only complaint would be that the strip steak was slightly undercooked. I did ask for medium rare but it was more like rare plus. However I experienced the same thing at a different restaurant the following night so perhaps there is a different interpretation of medium rare in Charleston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday LunchLynneDined on 10/23/2014My sister and I took my 81 year old mother there for lunch while visiting in Charleston. It was my mother's birthday and we took her there for lunch . We were greeted at the door wishing her a happy birthday and the server was very attentive. We all ordered the fried green tomato/BLT sandwich and it was heavenly. The location is great , as my mother paints and we were visiting galleries on Broad around the corner. It is a must. Will definitely visit again on my next trip back.Special Features:
- Magnolias - Charleston, S.C.RogueDined on 10/22/2014My wife and I had dinner at Magnolias during a 3 day visit to Charleston. We were very pleased with the entire evening. Close to our hotel, table available at arrival, service excellent, wine selection very good, noise level fine, price not out of line and, best of all, the food was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great neighborhood placetumbleweedVIPDined on 10/22/2014Magnolias is always great and especially enjoyable since renovations. I was thrilled again with the variety of fish on the menu for lunch. Best in town for that, I think, We will be bac again. And likely again after that!Special Features:
- Amazing!!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/21/2014This was our third time to Magnolias and it is always wonderful. Dawn was our server and she made it amazing. We brought our family here during the week of our wedding. The fried chicken is to die for, the creme brûlée is awesome! Delicious!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tried it, would not go back.StinkyMHVIPDined on 10/21/2014To be fair, I will start by saying that the food was good. Not great, good. My table started with the fried green tomatoe, followed by the fried chicken breast. We chose these dishes because we wanted a truly southern meal, and both dishes met that criteria. The fried chicken was accompanied by fresh corn, mashed potatoes, collard greens and biscuits with gravy. My problem with the restaurant was the lack of hospitality. The hostess was rude. We had reservations for months, but were sat in the back naughty room (past the front room, past the kitchens). The front room was not full upon arriving or leaving. Restaurants tend to stick two women in the worst seats. Perhaps that was the game at Magnolias. Sorry to say I would not go backSpecial Features:
- Good but not specialOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/21/2014Service was great,however the food was average with crab cakes that were mush (too much bread filler without seasoning) and entrees that had good ingredients but not much inspiration.
- Great food, great waitstaff!CharlestonDinerDined on 10/21/2014Seared Ahi Tuna tender and free of sinew (unlike dinner the night before at another restaurant a block away, where the tuna was filled with sinew, even when a second piece was brought out). Our waitress, Genevieve was a delight! We would absolutely go back to Magnolia's again next visit. Friends who used to live in Savannah often visited Charleston and recommended Magnolia's and we are so glad they did!I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my Charleston FavoritesOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/19/2014We stop here whenever we're in Charleston. The food at Magnolias always exceeds my expectations. This time the Seafood and Grits and my favorite the rainbow trout were spectacular. Try the fried green tomatoes for an appetizer.Special Features:
- As good as they sayPAtoCADined on 10/19/2014A friend from California recommended Magnolia's and the Yelp reviews agreed, so we had to give it a shot. We could only get 5:30 reservations, so we weren't super hungry. I had the parmesan encrusted flounder - I may have had better fish somewhere, but I can't remember. My wife had tuna bad bean soup and a small plate of pistachio encrusted ahi - both were fabulous. Pecan pie with ice cream was heavenly. With 2 glasses of wine and tip, our bill was still under $100.Special Features:
- great place to eatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/19/2014Service was exceptional. Our waiter was very attentive to us. Food was outstanding! !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best meal of the trip!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/19/2014We went for Sunday Brunch and EVERYTHING was impeccable. Go there!!!!!!!!!Special Features:
- Excellent foodJoJoVIPDined on 10/18/2014Dining at Magnolias is a treat. Parmesan crusted flounder was wonderful as were the scallop and crab cake appetizers. It is however noisey and tables are close together. One of our chairs was at the edge of the dining area entrance which feels less than inviting. This was the second time that we've dined at Magnolia's. The waiter disappeared after our food was served during our first visit. We ended up with the same waiter this time around and service was improved. Magnolia's is definitely on our list of favorites due to the quality of the food. Appears that the wait staff is entirely male. I'm not sure of the point of this practice.Special Features:
- a great dining experiencealwaysthere1VIPDined on 10/18/2014Our waiter, James was outstanding in spite of the fact that the restaurant was jammed. He went out of his to offer the best service with special emphasis on the signature dishes. We all enjoyed this restaurant; a top choice in Charleston.Special Features:
- Great Taste of Charleston!chefliDined on 10/18/2014Our party enjoyed the crab bisque, buttermilk fried chicken, southwest egg rolls, pork belly, and the wedge (bibb) salad. All were excellent! The bisque was flavorful without being too spicy. The pork belly was perfectly done. The egg rolls had just the right amount of kick too them. We are northerners and the service was a bit slower (on a Saturday night) than we would expect, but certainly was nothing to complain about. We reminded ourselves we were "south of the tension line." The absolute highlight of the night was the pecan pie, loaded with pecans and with a rich and sweet taste. The signature brownie was also very good, obscenely rich, but certain to delight a chocolate lover! Would highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it.luvItDined on 10/18/2014We have been to Magnolias twice and both times were excellent. The service, food and atmosphere are all excellent. I would definitely eat there again and highly recommend it to others. Both of our visits were special occasion, but I would go just for a nice lunch or dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it!!RegulargirlDined on 10/18/2014Every trip I make to charleston includes a visit to Magnolias. One of my favs for years. Never a complaint!!Special Features:
- Very disappointingLucky1VIPDined on 10/17/2014. The restaurant was crowded and noisy and not a pleasant dining experience. The service was terrible. Our waiter was inattentive. My order was not prepared the way I had requested and when our waiter finally came around, he took it back to the kitchen where they scraped off the top preparation of the fish( I am allergic to peppers and specifically asked if they could prepare this dish without, which he assured me they could) and brought me the same piece of fish without the topping. In a restaurant if this caliber I was shocked. No attempt from a manager was made to address this. We got our check and left and would not go back or recommend it. With all of the wonderful choices in Charleston, don't eat here!Special Features:
- SandraOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/17/2014We always enjoy Magnolias each set of friends that come to visit us from Virginia we take to Magnolias for a touch of South Carolina charm and great food.Special Features: