185 East Bay Street
Charleston, SC 29401Neighborhood:
SouthernPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.magnolias-blossom-cypress.com/
- Phone: 8435777771x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday starts at 11:30am
Dinner starts at 4:00 pm daily
Sunday Brunch starts at 10:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Low Country, Southern
- Executive Chef: Donald Drake
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access
- Cross Street: located between Cumberland & Queen Streets
- Public Transit: Charleston CARTA to and from Visitors Center can be picked up 1/2 block from the restaurant on the quarter hour. There are also local cab companies and Charleston's famous Rickshaws that will transport guests to their hotels.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Private parking lot adjacent to the restaurant is available weekdays after 5:00pm & all day Saturday & Sunday. **Please note:This lot is not open during lunch Monday-Friday. However, public parking is available in the garage at the corner of Cumberland & Concord and rates will apply.
A word from Magnolias
Igniting a culinary renaissance upon opening in 1990, Charleston's most popular restaurant is located at the site of the city's original Customs House (circa 1739). Led by Executive Chef Don Drake, Magnolias remains a forerunner in upscale Southern cuisine, blending traditional ingredients and cooking techniques with a modern flair for artful presentations.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSouthern
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Magnolias - Best Restaurants in Downtown Charleston ›
Magnolias reviews from OpenTable diners
709 reviews since April 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (458)fit for foodies (414)romantic (290)neighborhood gem (232)great for lunch (187)notable wine list (171)great for brunch (160)hot spot (134)good for groups (133)vibrant bar scene (47)kid-friendly (35)scenic view (23)late-night find (13)great for outdoor dining (4)Show More
- amazingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/25/2014We had an impeccable dinner here. The fried green tomatoes blew is away. Best thing I've eaten, period .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014We asked friends about places to eat in Charleston and people from all over recommended Magnolias. I could only get a 9pm res, Thank Goodness I did. The experience was phenomenal. Drinks at the bar were great. Dinner was the best food of Charleston. The Seafood over grits.... What can I say, shrimp lobster and scallops over grit mmm. My husband had the fried chicken and we both smiled and sighed our way through the delicious dinner. We will be back Thanks Magnolias for a Memorable Romantic dinnerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charleston GempauldplumbDined on 8/24/2014This is a must visit for a great dining experience. Food is absolutely top shelf!!! The BEST Charleston has to offer, and it is not well advertised. It came highly recommended from friends and now I know why. FIVE STARS We'll be back again and again. PAULSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014We were staying in the downtown Charleston area and our hotel recommended Magnolias to us as a great place for supper. They were right. We had the Buttermilk Fried Chicken Breast, and it was the best chicken I have ever tasted. The waitress was great and we had an excellent dining experience.Special Features:
- Sunday Brunch with FamilyluvCharlestonVIPDined on 8/24/2014Brunch was great! This wonderful restaurant has increased the speed at which they deliver the meals...and we appreciate that. We love having a leisurely brunch...but do not want to be there all afternoon. Food was prepared terrific! We all had fish and crabcakes. The tile fish special with the squash and cauliflower preparation was the best!! The kitchen did a great job. We also had a low country egg roll for and appetizer and it was also great. Service was also top notch.....you all have some of the best trained waiters, waitresses, and hostesses in Charleston. We like to come to Magnolias every weekend after church services and meet with our College kids! Magnolia's is always consistently excellent! Thank you !!Special Features:
- Didn't Live Up to the HypeNWgirlinCharlestonDined on 8/23/2014I visited Magnolias with my husband and another couple to celebrate my birthday. We had been told by many of our friends and neighbors that they had great food and would be a perfect spot for our celebration dinner. Unforuntely, I did not think it lived up to the hype. My food was good, but not great. I think Husk was a much better dinner spot. My tilefish was overcooked and the risotto was bland. Everyone else's food was just okay as well. Our waitress was extemely disorganized and not someone I would have thought should be working in a fine-dining establishment. I would have expected to see her in an Applebee's type setting.... Overall, I would go to Husk over this restaurant any day.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014My husband and I had dinner at Magnolia's in a pretty busy Friday night and besides the amazing food, Magnolia's has a big plus: even better service. The entree arrived right after the appetizer, no long wait in between and the waitress was very gentle and knowledgeable about the entire menu. She give us great suggestions and had always a big smile on her face. Prices are fair compared to the quality of food, service and ambiance. Would Definitely recommend this place!Special Features:
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/22/2014Food was outstanding. Service in the beginning was very slow but picked up as dinner went on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Magnolias is a must!RumdumVIPDined on 8/22/2014The food is amazing! I had grilled salmon with crab risotto. Wow! Dessert was a biscuit with fruit and blueberry compote. Fabulous! This is the epitome of what's wonderful about Southern cuisine. The service was very professional. Our waiter made suggestions with each course and yet was positive if we chose other foods. Only draw-back is that I had to lean across the table to hear dining companions speak. It's a little loud (or maybe people at the next table were loud?) and the tables are as close together as possible without feeling crowded.Special Features:
- Old fashion southern cuisineOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/21/2014Food a bit heavy and saucy. Restaurant doesn't compare to newer ones in charleston
- Excellent anniversary!JazzybrunetteDined on 8/21/2014My husband and I went here to celebrate our 15th anniversary. We were given complimentary champagne upon arrival. The food was excellent...unique offerings, traditional southern classics with an elevated twist. The service was excellent as well...attentive, friendly, gave great recommendations. The experience completely lived up to all the hype it received. Would highly recommend to anyone looking for a fine dining experience in Charleston. Be sure to make reservations in advance!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Charleston Favorite!VMVAtlantaVIPDined on 8/21/2014When we visit Charleston, the first restaurant for dining is Magnolia's. The food and service are consistently good. This visit was more wonderful than usual, in no small part to the excellence in customer service from Katlyn. Her friendliness, helpfulness, and attentiveness takes the dining experience to a "finer" dining level. She is impressive! The food is delicious (Chips with Scallions, Fried Chicken and Flounder, Strawberry Shortcake and Pecan Pie are musts.) The decor is lovely. All-in-All, dining at Magnolia's is a feel good experience for foodies and people looking for a relaxing event.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesome!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/20/2014This place is amazing!! The pork belly is out of thus world! This is a must go to restaurant and we will definitely be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JasonJasonVIPDined on 8/20/2014Excellent! Fried green tomatoes,the best. Every item prepared with creativity. Perfect from start to finish . Edward excellent waiterSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SENSATIONAL!!!!!!!!theyoungfoodieVIPDined on 8/18/2014Tonight, I dined at Magnolias with my family and every single one of us was BLOWN AWAY at how amazing every dish was! The fried green tomatoes were OUT OF THIS WORLD in addition to our parmesan crusted flounder, and buttermilk friend chicken. Magnolias is the definition of Southern Cuisine. If you haven't gone, you are truly missing out. Oh! Don't forget to order the pecan pie at the end of your meal, it was the BEST PECAN PIE I'VE EVER HAD!Special Features:
- GreatJanieDined on 8/18/2014WE had wonderful food and a wonderful waiter at Magnolia's. The only complaint I had was we were placed at the very back table in a private dining room so you did not get the fun atmosphere of the front room. Every reservation I booked through open table we had bad tables.
- One of Charleston's Finestdine4funDined on 8/18/2014If you want a great meal with fantastic service, give this place a try. Great for special occasions or just a great meal with friends. One of our favorite in Charleston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Shrimp & Grits...Delish!!!GreygooseDined on 8/18/2014Walked right in at 5:00 and were seated. Very friendly people working. Our server suggested lthe fried oyster app, and it was Fab! Also ordered the fried green tomatoes (yummy), and pimiento cheese dip--(loved). They also bring warm crusty bread and butter. I admit I was pretty full from the apps! For dinner, I ordered the shrimp & grits ...Wow, they were unbelievably good.! Could only eat half. Full of shrimp, lobster, & scallops--very buttery and creamy. DH got the fish and he loved it. Teens ordered fried chicken and filet and both thought they were great. Dessert was heavenly: pecan pie (get it!), strawberry shortcake , creme brûlée, brownie....all were so good. Visit Magnolias & you'll be happy you didSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fried Green Tomato BLT,mmmmFuninNOLADined on 8/18/2014Need I say more? We have been to Magnolias a few times now and have not had a bad experience. The fried green tomato BLT was delicious. My husbands seafood and grits was also well done. Our waiter was attentive without being over bearing. Overall we had a very nice lunch and will probably make time for Magnolias on any future trips to Charleston.Special Features:
- good not great.sockyDined on 8/17/2014Very good ahi tuna and wine list.3 had duck, but would not order again. Trout and flounder very good. Nice restaurant fairly reasonable price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were happy with our choice.CarolineCukeDined on 8/17/2014Had a gluten free menu! Great! Very happy with our choice. Great wine for me and waiter suggested craft beer my husband enjoyed. Fried green tomatoes and strawberry shortcake were delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A mustKayakerDined on 8/17/2014A visit to Magnolia's is a must whenever I am in Charleston!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- To die forkc101Dined on 8/17/2014I have never had a better brunch. A friend recommended Magnolia's and I'm so glad my husband and I ate there during our anniversary weekend. I had the banana pudding stuffed french toast (with regular syrup instead of peanut butter syrup--I'm not Elvis) with bacon. It was one of the best things I've ever put in my mouth! Absolutely delicious! Hubby wants me to try to make it myself, but I know I'll never get close to that buttery richness. His fried egg sandwich was fine, but my food was clearly the winner. I ate every single bite and could have eaten it every day for a week! Our waiter Brian was amazing, friendly, and recommended a good local golf course as well. Would go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining in CharlestonHoney10Dined on 8/16/2014There are many wonderful restaurants to choose from, but few that can prepare the good low country style of cooking. Since I'm not really a fish eater except for shell, I was not disappointed with the buttermilk chicken, with collards. I should have asked for a table where I could view the entire restaurant, but sitting by the front window was less noisy and more relaxing. I like to see the decor and see people when I'm not from the area. This restaurant has it all.Special Features:
- Exellent all aroundSvilleVTXDined on 8/16/2014We ate here for lunch several years ago and it was wonderful so we finally made it back to try it for dinner. We started with the fried green tomatoes which was probably the best thing we ate. For entrees, I had the ahi tuna over spring rolls and my wife had the shellfish over grits. Both were excellent. When we ate their previously for lunch we had the pecan pie which was to die for, but wanting to try something new, this time we had the sweet tea peach cake. It was good, but the pecan pie that I remember was way better. Service was good overall.Special Features:
- My constant favoriteSusanOJDined on 8/16/2014Live in Folly and am a foodie. Try all the new restaurants but always return to magnolias for great atmosphere, free parking and consistently great southern comfort food. Service always excellent from the greeting and waitstaff. Great place to grab a bite at the bar as wellSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/16/2014Great place with phenomenal food and service. Great ambience as well. We took our kids for lunch on our anniversary and it was a great experience. Fried green tomatoes were AMAZING!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK but nothing specialPelleDined on 8/15/2014We were a party of three and from food we had different experiences, both my starter and main course was rather blend and almost on the level you send it back. From the other ones in the party the starter was also blend but the main course was really good. I took the Chef's recommendation , so avoid that ! The wine that was recommended was suddenly sold out , but the one we got was actually OK. Price range is moderate but the restaurant is nothing to write home about.
- Great timeLWebDined on 8/15/2014Service was outstanding. We had delicious food and wine. Left there stuffed and happy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014We went to Magnolia's for our one year wedding anniversary and were blown away! We had heard wonderful things but it not only lived up to the praise, it exceeded it. The food was phenomenal and wait staff very attentive. We will definitely go back next time we're in Charleston!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1st trip there, surely more to comembeauleDined on 8/14/2014visiting the Isle of Palms area for a week, this was well worth the trip into Charleston. We had both a scallop appetizer and the egg rolls for appetizers and they were excellent. Entrees were also fantastic, one choice was Duck and the other was Tuna. Both very solid choices.Special Features:
- Birthday CelebrationCindyVIPDined on 8/14/2014What a wonderful restaurant to celebrate my birthday. So many wonderful choices. Very knowledgable waiter to help us figure out what to order. We ended up sharing lots of different items, one better than the next. The waiter's pacing of the meal was fabulous since there was lots to eat. Can't wait to go back again.Special Features:
- One of the bestNewfavDined on 8/14/2014Charleston is known as a town with great restaurants. Lots of new ones have sprung it, but you still can't beat Magnolias for excellent food and service. We were there on a summer weeknight, and it was packed until well after 10. Our server, Dawn, was especially gracious and helpful, always there but never intrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious, as alwaysSterlingDined on 8/14/2014Balanced cuisine, something for everyone, including vegetarians. Fresh,innovative southern cuisine. Wines and desserts are also delicious. Even though it was crowded, our waiter was attentive, our reservation was honored, and our food was timed perfectly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best meals I've hadcasualdiner327Dined on 8/14/2014Nearly everything about Magnolia's lived up to its status as one of the best restaurants in Charleston. The appetizers and salads were incredible and my meal was amongst the best I've ever been served. My girlfriend ordered the vegetable dish, and the risotto was fantastic. I would have liked to have seen a few more vegetables in the dish though. S.N.O.B.'s vegetable plate was better. If there were a few additional vegetarian items on the menu it wouldn't hurt either.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful for lunch and dinnerlocalaliensVIPDined on 8/14/2014We had lunch with friends. Normally we do dinner every few months. But it had been a long time since we did brunch or lunch. It was outstanding. Service was impeccable. Food was great. Cobb salad topped with southern fried chicken, blackened catfish with dirty rice and fried green tomatoes, and flounder. All were just terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite food downtownNaanManDined on 8/13/2014Top notch. Consistently great food and service. The southern dishes are fantastic. Try the catfish and fried green tomatoes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hrr6Dined on 8/12/2014The first time back since the renovation, the restaurant was great. Now, they've added many more tables in the dining room and the noise level is so high that it is impossible to hear the person sitting right next to you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- magnolias meets expectationsDundasfoodieDined on 8/12/2014Excellent food, attentive and quick service, in a very busy restaurant. Magnolias is a tourist hotspot in a city with many excellent restaurants, but it remains a high performerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CelebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/12/2014We went to Magnolias for our 32nd wedding anniversary. It was perfect--the service, the food, the ambiance. We highly recommend Magnolias.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.