185 East Bay Street
Charleston, SC 29401Neighborhood:
SouthernPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.magnolias-blossom-cypress.com/
- Phone: 8435777771x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday starts at 11:30am
Dinner starts at 4:00 pm daily
Sunday Brunch starts at 10:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Low Country, Southern
- Executive Chef: Donald Drake
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access
- Cross Street: located between Cumberland & Queen Streets
- Public Transit: Charleston CARTA to and from Visitors Center can be picked up 1/2 block from the restaurant on the quarter hour. There are also local cab companies and Charleston's famous Rickshaws that will transport guests to their hotels.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Private parking lot adjacent to the restaurant is available weekdays after 5:00pm & all day Saturday & Sunday. **Please note:This lot is not open during lunch Monday-Friday. However, public parking is available in the garage at the corner of Cumberland & Concord and rates will apply.
A word from Magnolias
Igniting a culinary renaissance upon opening in 1990, Charleston's most popular restaurant is located at the site of the city's original Customs House (circa 1739). Led by Executive Chef Don Drake, Magnolias remains a forerunner in upscale Southern cuisine, blending traditional ingredients and cooking techniques with a modern flair for artful presentations.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSouthern
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Magnolias - Best Restaurants in Downtown Charleston ›
Magnolias reviews from OpenTable diners
706 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (456)fit for foodies (414)romantic (292)neighborhood gem (229)great for lunch (183)notable wine list (173)great for brunch (156)good for groups (131)hot spot (129)vibrant bar scene (45)kid-friendly (33)scenic view (22)late-night find (13)great for outdoor dining (4)Show More
- Best Food in CharlestonOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/31/2014The 3rd time we've eaten here and it only gets better. Southern cuisine at its best. Freshest seafood. Try the Parmesan crusted flounder. Some of the best fried chicken you can ever imagine. Tender and light, but not greasy at all. We heard it was one of Oprah's favorite restaurants. Now we know why. You must try when visiting Charleston. Make reservations early as it is a popular spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, horrible serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/31/2014My partner and I were treated badly, in a clear case of discrimination. The fact the food was fantastic helped saved the evening a bit for us (we had wine, several appetizers and two of the better entrees- all delicious), but we will never dine at Magnolias again and do not recommend the restaurant for other LGBT people. We were discriminated against by our waitperson as well as one of the people manning the reservation desk, so there was not just one person involved in the poor treatment we received. We dined at several comparable restaurants in Savannah and Charleston and received much better service everywhere else. We really looked forward to dining at Magnolias, so it was all the more disappointing to be treated as we were.Special Features:
- Expected BetterOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/31/2014We weren't able to get in for dinner at Magnolias so went for brunch over a Labor Day weekend getaway. Maybe it was the hype, but I expected better. The food was ok - nothing out of this world. We were disappointed in the service - our server was very nice, but it was fairly slow and became obvious that someone had forgotten about us when we noticed staff peaking around at our table every few minutes. No apologies, no mention of it, just a slow morning of service. I'm not sure I'd spend the $$ to try again for dinner when we're in town next.
- Very disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/30/2014Having dined at Magnolia's a few times in the past, we were looking forward to visiting an old favorite spot for dinner. What a disappointing experience! My pork chop was rare when I asked for it medium well. Understanding that this happens sometimes, we sent it back to cook a little longer. When it came back it was so tough it was a struggle to cut. (This was made worse by the fact that a pork chop was served in a plate with raised sides--almost a bowl--very hard to cut for more reasons than one). Our waitress made no attempt to offer anything to make up for the inedible pork chop. My husbands flounder was fine but nothing special. There are so many better options in Charleston--we won't be returning.
- Excellent dinner experienceBruncherDined on 8/30/2014Magnolia's was a great restaurant overall. Our server was fantastic and helped us to choose some of the best dishes on the menu, and he was spot on. The Sweet Chili Rubbed Ahi Tuna and Lowcountry Bouillabaisse were well presented dishes and delicious - highly recommended! I would encourage anyone seeking a fine dining experience to check out Magnolia's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best dishes I've ever hadSouthernbitesDined on 8/29/2014When you walk in there is a lot of character to the building. It has a lot of southern charm. It is business casual. I felt a little over dressed. The menu had a lot of great options, but featured mostly regional favorites. Most of the time coming to a fine dining restaurant, you would get smaller portions so that you can enjoy a little bit of everything. The appetizer, salad, and soup were all small but great portions. When we got dinner though, I was pleasantly surprised to see a large portion of food. I got the bourbon porterhouse pork chop with caramelized okra, carolina red rice, and other veggies. It was the best meal I've ever had. Just don't tell my grandma! It was seasoned to perfection and the pork was succulent. I would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always specialOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014We return over and over and are never disappointed. A fine experience in downtown.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Charleston Gem!LuvCharlestondiningDined on 8/28/2014Magnolias has a special character all it's own. The food is great, and the atmosphere is delightful. It is a special treat to dine here! One of my favorite restaurants!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding value for the moneyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/27/2014My wife and I were vacationing in Myrtle Beach, and we made a 2-night side trip to Charleston. We wanted to have a memorable dinner while in Charleston, and Magnolias fit the bill perfectly. I've got food allergies, and that was absolutely no issue or problem for them. If/when we make it back to Charleston, at least one dinner will be at Magnolias.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BobandmaureenDined on 8/27/2014Food was excellent together with the setting and attentive service. Me wife and I stay overnight in Charleston. Two or three times a year and we enjoy Magnolias and Blossoms very much.Special Features:
- Delicious food, and great serviceElComedorVIPDined on 8/27/2014I had lunch here with 2 of my colleagues, and we loved it. Every dish was very delicious with complex flavors, and some had unique combinations of ingredients that you don't usually see paired together. I had a Wahoo fish dish from the specials list which was great, and looked beautiful on the plate. To start, we had the fried green tomatoes, which were the best that I have ever tasted anywhere. The flavor just went on and on. You MUST order the fried green tomatoes if you visit this place. I would recommend this place to anyone, and I will definitely hit it again when I return to Charleston.Special Features:
- Major DisappointmentcameronDined on 8/26/2014After having eating at the Magnolia Grill for over ten years; this Tuesday's night experience was terrible. First off the server was very rude and tried to rush us through our meal from the moment we sat down for our 7:30PM reservation. It was my birthday and I wanted to enjoy some wine and the whole dining event. Came well dressed as we live in downtown Charleston and believe you should dress accordingly. Secondly, both my starter and my dinner entrée came out to our table only lukewarm. I was willing to let the Southern Eggroll slip by but not the Flounder main course. Have had this same dish the last four times we have been at the restaurant as I have really enjoyed it. Not tonight. They replaced it with a new hot one.
- overall, good. however....ChucktownJAMDined on 8/26/2014My husband and I love Magnolia's, and have dined here on several occasions. We were sat in a cozy little corner, but about mid-way through our dinner a group of about 5 or 6 was sat at the table behind us. The diners were LOUD. The food (of course) was fabulous, and our server was timely and polite. My only complaint here is that - while in the middle of speaking to my husband - the server came over and took my dinner plate away. He never asked if I was finished, or asked if I could care for a box... he just took it away without a word. I tried to say something, but he probably couldn’t hear me over the loud table behind us. Again, the food was outstanding... just a few dining points that could have made the experience a bit better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic southern lunch!NickiRyanDined on 8/26/2014My friend and I came for a girl's lunch while staying on Kiawah Island after a friend recommended it. Amazing lunch. We ordered the fried green tomatoes & fried macaroni & cheese - both were great. The fried green tomatoes were the best I've tasted in the area. My friend ordered fried chicken dish - the best fried chicken I've ever tasted. I ordered the Salmon BLT salad - delicious. A great meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Below Expectationsf00dieDined on 8/26/2014Very disappointed as Magnolias did not live up to our expectations. The food is served with all the side practically one on top of the other so the buttermilk fried chicken tasted like soggy cream corn and collard greens. Couldn't tell what was mashed potatoes & biscuits. Plus service was poor - left with an empty water glass for most of the meal and we were left with our finished plates for over 10 minutes.
- amazingyummDined on 8/25/2014We had an impeccable dinner here. The fried green tomatoes blew is away. Best thing I've eaten, period .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our favorite place in CharlestonDennisDined on 8/25/2014On our way back from Cape Cod we always stop by Magnolia's for some low country cooking. The food and the service is always top notch. The parm encrusted flounder, fried chicken, fried green tomatoes, shrimp and grits are worth the stopover on our way home. You just cannot go wrong here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A real find.TravelerDined on 8/25/2014The food here is exceptional. Try the bibb lettuce salad, and ask for some salmon to top it off, this was wonderful! The menu is terrific. the setting quite beautiful. But please dress nicely, and if you bring kids don't bring them in dirty tee shirts. It brings the feel of the place down. Wonderful place. About 8 years ago we celebrated a family 50th anniversary and booked the upstairs room, wonderful for special occasions, but reasonably priced for a nice weekend spot to dine.Special Features:
- Magnolia's still the best!BlufftonianfoodieDined on 8/25/2014What a wonderful restaurant! So well managed and service levels that always surpass expectations. Our server Slade was extremely helpful with our vegan granddaughter in available selections for lunch. I had noted she was a vegan and he came to the table prepared to offer her choices. His service was outstanding for us all. My husband and I chose the seafood over grits and we are still raving about the sauce and the amount of lobster that was in the dish. Our granddaughter chose a vegetable wrap with sweet potato fries and just loved it. We always have enjoyed Magnolia's and have never been disappointed.Special Features:
- FantasticFootloosefoodieDined on 8/24/2014We asked friends about places to eat in Charleston and people from all over recommended Magnolias. I could only get a 9pm res, Thank Goodness I did. The experience was phenomenal. Drinks at the bar were great. Dinner was the best food of Charleston. The Seafood over grits.... What can I say, shrimp lobster and scallops over grit mmm. My husband had the fried chicken and we both smiled and sighed our way through the delicious dinner. We will be back Thanks Magnolias for a Memorable Romantic dinnerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charleston GempauldplumbDined on 8/24/2014This is a must visit for a great dining experience. Food is absolutely top shelf!!! The BEST Charleston has to offer, and it is not well advertised. It came highly recommended from friends and now I know why. FIVE STARS We'll be back again and again. PAULSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodGreatDined on 8/24/2014We were staying in the downtown Charleston area and our hotel recommended Magnolias to us as a great place for supper. They were right. We had the Buttermilk Fried Chicken Breast, and it was the best chicken I have ever tasted. The waitress was great and we had an excellent dining experience.Special Features:
- Sunday Brunch with FamilyluvCharlestonVIPDined on 8/24/2014Brunch was great! This wonderful restaurant has increased the speed at which they deliver the meals...and we appreciate that. We love having a leisurely brunch...but do not want to be there all afternoon. Food was prepared terrific! We all had fish and crabcakes. The tile fish special with the squash and cauliflower preparation was the best!! The kitchen did a great job. We also had a low country egg roll for and appetizer and it was also great. Service was also top notch.....you all have some of the best trained waiters, waitresses, and hostesses in Charleston. We like to come to Magnolias every weekend after church services and meet with our College kids! Magnolia's is always consistently excellent! Thank you !!Special Features:
- Get the Pulled PorkdcwinoDined on 8/23/2014My mom got the pulled pork bbq and it was the best I have ever had. All the other dishes were amazing, but that was especially notableSpecial Features:
- Didn't Live Up to the HypeNWgirlinCharlestonDined on 8/23/2014I visited Magnolias with my husband and another couple to celebrate my birthday. We had been told by many of our friends and neighbors that they had great food and would be a perfect spot for our celebration dinner. Unforuntely, I did not think it lived up to the hype. My food was good, but not great. I think Husk was a much better dinner spot. My tilefish was overcooked and the risotto was bland. Everyone else's food was just okay as well. Our waitress was extemely disorganized and not someone I would have thought should be working in a fine-dining establishment. I would have expected to see her in an Applebee's type setting.... Overall, I would go to Husk over this restaurant any day.Special Features:
- ManuDined on 8/22/2014My husband and I had dinner at Magnolia's in a pretty busy Friday night and besides the amazing food, Magnolia's has a big plus: even better service. The entree arrived right after the appetizer, no long wait in between and the waitress was very gentle and knowledgeable about the entire menu. She give us great suggestions and had always a big smile on her face. Prices are fair compared to the quality of food, service and ambiance. Would Definitely recommend this place!Special Features:
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/22/2014Food was outstanding. Service in the beginning was very slow but picked up as dinner went on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Magnolias is a must!RumdumVIPDined on 8/22/2014The food is amazing! I had grilled salmon with crab risotto. Wow! Dessert was a biscuit with fruit and blueberry compote. Fabulous! This is the epitome of what's wonderful about Southern cuisine. The service was very professional. Our waiter made suggestions with each course and yet was positive if we chose other foods. Only draw-back is that I had to lean across the table to hear dining companions speak. It's a little loud (or maybe people at the next table were loud?) and the tables are as close together as possible without feeling crowded.Special Features:
- Old fashion southern cuisineOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/21/2014Food a bit heavy and saucy. Restaurant doesn't compare to newer ones in charleston
- Excellent anniversary!JazzybrunetteDined on 8/21/2014My husband and I went here to celebrate our 15th anniversary. We were given complimentary champagne upon arrival. The food was excellent...unique offerings, traditional southern classics with an elevated twist. The service was excellent as well...attentive, friendly, gave great recommendations. The experience completely lived up to all the hype it received. Would highly recommend to anyone looking for a fine dining experience in Charleston. Be sure to make reservations in advance!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Charleston Favorite!VMVAtlantaVIPDined on 8/21/2014When we visit Charleston, the first restaurant for dining is Magnolia's. The food and service are consistently good. This visit was more wonderful than usual, in no small part to the excellence in customer service from Katlyn. Her friendliness, helpfulness, and attentiveness takes the dining experience to a "finer" dining level. She is impressive! The food is delicious (Chips with Scallions, Fried Chicken and Flounder, Strawberry Shortcake and Pecan Pie are musts.) The decor is lovely. All-in-All, dining at Magnolia's is a feel good experience for foodies and people looking for a relaxing event.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesome!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/20/2014This place is amazing!! The pork belly is out of thus world! This is a must go to restaurant and we will definitely be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JasonJasonVIPDined on 8/20/2014Excellent! Fried green tomatoes,the best. Every item prepared with creativity. Perfect from start to finish . Edward excellent waiterSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SENSATIONAL!!!!!!!!theyoungfoodieVIPDined on 8/18/2014Tonight, I dined at Magnolias with my family and every single one of us was BLOWN AWAY at how amazing every dish was! The fried green tomatoes were OUT OF THIS WORLD in addition to our parmesan crusted flounder, and buttermilk friend chicken. Magnolias is the definition of Southern Cuisine. If you haven't gone, you are truly missing out. Oh! Don't forget to order the pecan pie at the end of your meal, it was the BEST PECAN PIE I'VE EVER HAD!Special Features:
- GreatJanieDined on 8/18/2014WE had wonderful food and a wonderful waiter at Magnolia's. The only complaint I had was we were placed at the very back table in a private dining room so you did not get the fun atmosphere of the front room. Every reservation I booked through open table we had bad tables.
- One of Charleston's Finestdine4funDined on 8/18/2014If you want a great meal with fantastic service, give this place a try. Great for special occasions or just a great meal with friends. One of our favorite in Charleston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Shrimp & Grits...Delish!!!GreygooseDined on 8/18/2014Walked right in at 5:00 and were seated. Very friendly people working. Our server suggested lthe fried oyster app, and it was Fab! Also ordered the fried green tomatoes (yummy), and pimiento cheese dip--(loved). They also bring warm crusty bread and butter. I admit I was pretty full from the apps! For dinner, I ordered the shrimp & grits ...Wow, they were unbelievably good.! Could only eat half. Full of shrimp, lobster, & scallops--very buttery and creamy. DH got the fish and he loved it. Teens ordered fried chicken and filet and both thought they were great. Dessert was heavenly: pecan pie (get it!), strawberry shortcake , creme brûlée, brownie....all were so good. Visit Magnolias & you'll be happy you didSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fried Green Tomato BLT,mmmmFuninNOLADined on 8/18/2014Need I say more? We have been to Magnolias a few times now and have not had a bad experience. The fried green tomato BLT was delicious. My husbands seafood and grits was also well done. Our waiter was attentive without being over bearing. Overall we had a very nice lunch and will probably make time for Magnolias on any future trips to Charleston.Special Features:
- good not great.sockyDined on 8/17/2014Very good ahi tuna and wine list.3 had duck, but would not order again. Trout and flounder very good. Nice restaurant fairly reasonable price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were happy with our choice.CarolineCukeDined on 8/17/2014Had a gluten free menu! Great! Very happy with our choice. Great wine for me and waiter suggested craft beer my husband enjoyed. Fried green tomatoes and strawberry shortcake were delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.